Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #45
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest     Thursday, March 19 1998     Volume 03 : Number 045

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:07:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: the recent quorum failure

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> > > I like this one.  Maybe it should be "sudden death", so that at the moment
> > > it achieves quorum no further votes are counted, but that's susceptible to
> > > Huberting.
> 
> > How so? Presumably the initial seven days would still be there. That way
> > anyone who could get their votes in in seven days would have nothing to worry
> > about. If you don't get your votes in on time then you deserve anything you
> > get. Also, the tabulator need not say how the voting currently stands so
> > people wouldn't be able to antivote depending on the voting that had already
> > taken place.
> 
> What I was thinking was this:  if a Proposal is two votes short of quorum,
> then two people who wanted it to pass could try to get their votes in first.
> Or two people who wanted it to fail.  But it might just boil down to being
> the first two people who got their votes in.  Just doesn't seem as fair.  :-)

But if those people cared enough about the proposal, why didn't they vote
within the time limit?  They had their chance, and if they miss it and get
Huberted it's tough cookies.

Yours,
Slakko

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 08:23:13 -0500 (EST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: the recent quorum failure

> But if those people cared enough about the proposal, why didn't they vote
> within the time limit?  They had their chance, and if they miss it and get
> Huberted it's tough cookies.

Remember the last quorum failure?  Many votes were sent in, but Muppetlabs
was down.  If it's anything like when my school's system crashes, those
messages trickle in off the queue over a period of a few hours after the
system comes back on line.  Should the first post-quorum votes be counted,
but not the rest, simply on the basis that mail daemons choose to deliver
them?

GF

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 17:35:36 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Stock Market RFC

replace section c of rule 530 with the following ACTIVE delimited text:

ACTIVE
If for any reason the activity value is unspecified, it will be set to 10.
If the activity value is less than 0, then it will immediately become 0.
Every three hours the activity value will decrease by 1/8 of a point.  The
normality factor will be the number of activities which occured on the
previous day.  Every time an activity occurs, the activity value increases
by 1/the normality factor.  Something is only an activity if it is
specified as one by this rule.  The following are activities: the
distribution of a proposal, CFJ, CFCJ, or CSR.  The announcement of the
beginning or end of a hearing.  The passage of a great work.  The addition
or removal of a player.  Any action causing a player to pay the standard
harfer fee.  The beginning or end of an election.  The creation of a
gadget.  The end of a cycle.  The distribution of the magic potato or the
chocolate frog.  The granting of a blue cross or any other award based on
blue cross rank.  The posting of Phoebe's wisdom.  A *ping*.  The winning
of a game of GAD.
ACTIVE

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 17:41:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Stock Market RFC

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Towsner wrote:

> replace section c of rule 530 with the following ACTIVE delimited text:
> 
> ACTIVE
> If for any reason the activity value is unspecified, it will be set to 10.
> If the activity value is less than 0, then it will immediately become 0.
> Every three hours the activity value will decrease by 1/8 of a point.  The
> normality factor will be the number of activities which occured on the
> previous day.  Every time an activity occurs, the activity value increases
> by 1/the normality factor.  Something is only an activity if it is
> specified as one by this rule.  The following are activities: the
> distribution of a proposal, CFJ, CFCJ, or CSR.  The announcement of the
> beginning or end of a hearing.  The passage of a great work.  The addition
> or removal of a player.  Any action causing a player to pay the standard
> harfer fee.  The beginning or end of an election.  The creation of a
> gadget.  The end of a cycle.  The distribution of the magic potato or the
> chocolate frog.  The granting of a blue cross or any other award based on
> blue cross rank.  The posting of Phoebe's wisdom.  A *ping*.  The winning
> of a game of GAD.
> ACTIVE

What is your base case if nothing happens?  Should it be normality factor
+ 1 on the denominator in the increase?
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 17:47:41 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Stock Market RFC

>What is your base case if nothing happens?  Should it be normality factor
>+ 1 on the denominator in the increase?
	Good point. That sounds good.

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 18:26:21 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Stock Market RFC

> The following are activities: the
> distribution of a proposal, CFJ, CFCJ, or CSR.  The announcement of the
> beginning or end of a hearing.  The passage of a great work.  The addition
> or removal of a player.  Any action causing a player to pay the standard
> harfer fee.  The beginning or end of an election.  The creation of a
> gadget.  The end of a cycle.  The distribution of the magic potato or the
> chocolate frog.  The granting of a blue cross or any other award based on
> blue cross rank.  The posting of Phoebe's wisdom.  A *ping*.  The winning
> of a game of GAD.

Seems reasonable to me, although if you're having all that you may as well
add "the winning of a game of party chess, the distribution of the great raft
or great oars of Ackanomic, a player taking possession of the great trombone,
the transfer of the chartreuse goose." I also think it would be a good idea
to introduce the crime of insider trading. Promoter, Clerk of the Court, CSRR
and Count Tabula probably ought to be forbidden from buying stock.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 19:30:15 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Stock Market RFC

>to introduce the crime of insider trading. Promoter, Clerk of the Court, CSRR
>and Count Tabula probably ought to be forbidden from buying stock.
	I agree about insider trading being a crime, but I don't want to
make those officers inelligible to buy stocks.  Their ability to alter
market values is fairly limited (that's why I had so many things be
activities), and if insider trading is defined as "intentionally
manipulating the value of the stock market for gain," that should prevent
any major abuses.

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #45
**********************************