Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #35
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest      Thursday, March 5 1998      Volume 03 : Number 035

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 17:30:01 -0500 (EST)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Cortex dynamics

In a response to the Supreme Court reform RFC, ThinMan stated that it
might be preferable to force two Undermaned Cortices to glom into a single
Active one.  I think the complexity this would add is unnecessary.

In this reasoning, I make one basic assumption -- that Justices want to
judge appeals, else they wouldn't be Justices.  In this light, I believe a
Justice will probably try to place himself in a position where he can
judge appeals.

Situation: 0 Justices
All appeals go to the single extant Vacant Cortex.  The President should
probably appoint a pair of new Justices to judge them.

Situation: 1 Justice
All appeals go to the Justice, in the one Undermanned Cortex.  The
President should appoint a second Justice.

Situation: 2 or more Justices.  If any two of them form an Active Cortex,
all appeals will go to Active (two-Justice) Cortices, and so all Justices
should strive to make themselves part of an Active Cortex.  The only
situation where no Active Cortex will exist for any length of time is if
no two Justices are willing to work together.  If this happens, there's
really no point to forcing them to work together -- if a Justice really
doesn't want to work with any of the others, but is forced to anyway,
he'll just quit the Court (a good thing, in itself), but leaving us with
no two-Justice groups.  The best course of action if none of the Justices
wants to work together is to impeach the lot of them and get new ones.
This is the sort of thing that is best left to the Players than codified
in the Rules.

GF

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #35
**********************************