Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #24
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest     Sunday, February 22 1998     Volume 03 : Number 024

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 06:22:16 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC: Harfing Reorganisation

Maybe it is about time we had another look at how the game's Web documents
are handled.  There are a lot of harfing offices, but some of them appear
to have very closely overlapping areas, or, at least, areas where there is
significant synergy in having the same player hold all the relevant
offices.

I was therefore wondering whether it would be a good idea to fiddle with
the harfing distribution.  I would suggest, as a first approximation, the
following set up:

Web-Harfer: Front Page, and all pages not otherwise maintained.

Registrar: Player List, Player Name Archive, and Introductory Information

Rule-Harfer: Rules and Proposals

{{Yeah, I know, not much change here}

Entity-Harfer: Player/Entity Page, Undead Page, Entity List, Trinkets &
Trinket Creators (possibly also Hall of Elders)
{{Jobs of Financier, Undead-Harfer and Trinket-Harfer rolled into one.
Perhaps a double salary would be appropriate for this post.}}

Graphic-Harfer : All documents with a reasonably high visual component:
i.e. Map, Hall of Elders, Portrait Gallery.
{Just give it all to the Map-Harfer - the Map itself is not a huge load}

Game-Harfer: All Subgames, past and present. (Bringing back the old post
of Games Master, but just for the purposes of Harfing).

In addition, there would be the option for the Web-Harfer to appoint and
remove people at will from the Optional Functional Office of Assistant
Web-Harfer, which has 3 Seats.  Each of these would come with the standard
salary for an office, and would have the documents they are supposed to
handle delegated to them by the Web-Harfer.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 07:22:12 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2718 accepted

>>> {{ This is a modest proposal.
> 
> I have a vague memory of seeing a CFJ on this kind of subject before,
> but...is this really a Modest proposal, if the declaration is enclosed
> in {{ }}?

Your memory is correct: There was a CFJ on exactly this subject, which
determined that it was in fact still Modest.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 10:38:11 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Harfing Reorganisation

Just to say I don't like it. I prefer things the way they are at the
moment. No particular reason, but I said I'd say whenever I didn't like
one of your RFCs. Although I have to say this message does seem like a
big lot of BWG.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 14:36:35 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Harfing Reorganisation

> Maybe it is about time we had another look at how the game's Web documents
> are handled.  There are a lot of harfing offices, but some of them appear
> to have very closely overlapping areas, or, at least, areas where there is
> significant synergy in having the same player hold all the relevant
> offices.

> I was therefore wondering whether it would be a good idea to fiddle with
> the harfing distribution.  I would suggest, as a first approximation, the
> following set up:

> Web-Harfer: Front Page, and all pages not otherwise maintained.

More or less like now, but the "otherwise maintained" list might be longer.

> Registrar: Player List, Player Name Archive, and Introductory Information

Sounds reasonable too.

> Rule-Harfer: Rules and Proposals

> {{Yeah, I know, not much change here}

> Entity-Harfer: Player/Entity Page, Undead Page, Entity List, Trinkets &
> Trinket Creators (possibly also Hall of Elders)
> {{Jobs of Financier, Undead-Harfer and Trinket-Harfer rolled into one.
> Perhaps a double salary would be appropriate for this post.}}

I wouldn't mind keeping Financier for this one, since after all it was
the original office title.  Trinket-, Undead-, Entity-, and Bond-Harfers
were created last year sometime, and Entity-Harfer was the one that didn't
survive.  So it brings back bad memories.  :-)

> Graphic-Harfer : All documents with a reasonably high visual component:
> i.e. Map, Hall of Elders, Portrait Gallery.
> {Just give it all to the Map-Harfer - the Map itself is not a huge load}

How about "Image-Harfer"?  "Picture-Harfer"?

> Game-Harfer: All Subgames, past and present. (Bringing back the old post
> of Games Master, but just for the purposes of Harfing).

We could make em the default referee for Duels...:-)  I'm not sure if this
is 100% necessary, but I wouldn't oppose it on this basis entirely.

> In addition, there would be the option for the Web-Harfer to appoint and
> remove people at will from the Optional Functional Office of Assistant
> Web-Harfer, which has 3 Seats.  Each of these would come with the standard
> salary for an office, and would have the documents they are supposed to
> handle delegated to them by the Web-Harfer.

This should maybe go into a separate proposal.  It might be tricky getting
the Offices set up with the right degree of Optionality.  Or, rather, it
should be set up like Count Tabula, so only the Web-Harfer can fill the
Assistantships.

- --
- --Veal Fan(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Leo Kottke:Ice Water
Current Book--Katie Waitman:The Merro Tree
The polhode rolls without slipping on the herpolhode in the invariable plane.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 15:33:17 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Harfing Reorganisation

> > In addition, there would be the option for the Web-Harfer to appoint
and
> > remove people at will from the Optional Functional Office of
Assistant
> > Web-Harfer, which has 3 Seats.  Each of these would come with the
standard
> > salary for an office, and would have the documents they are supposed
to
> > handle delegated to them by the Web-Harfer.
> 
> This should maybe go into a separate proposal.  It might be tricky
getting
> the Offices set up with the right degree of Optionality.  Or, rather,
it
> should be set up like Count Tabula, so only the Web-Harfer can fill the
> Assistantships.

After what I said before, I suppose I ought now to add that if this came
up in a separate proposal then I would probably vote for it. It's the
rest of the RFC I don't like.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 18:36:48 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Ack Games

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> As soon as I can figure out this new gameing system that quake2 put out
> we can host our own akagames via Quake2 if you don't already have
> version 3.2 then get it. And we will battle out online seeing how harfed
> you guys and ladies really are.
> My Discordian Brothers and sisters can come together for one final
> wompin of the acka century.
> 
> If you are good your soul will go to heaven
> If your bad your soul will be an eraser head on a 2 hb carbon based
> pencil.
> 
> If IT makes you happy, then why the hell are you so sad?
> 
> Good books so far... (Equinox) makes ya smarter than the average
> regulated breather.
> 
> -Hoover 2300
> _________________________________________________________________________
>  
>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 18:39:50 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Harfing Reorganisation

On Sun, 22 Feb 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> > Entity-Harfer: Player/Entity Page, Undead Page, Entity List, Trinkets &
> > Trinket Creators (possibly also Hall of Elders)
> > {{Jobs of Financier, Undead-Harfer and Trinket-Harfer rolled into one.
> > Perhaps a double salary would be appropriate for this post.}}
> 
> I wouldn't mind keeping Financier for this one, since after all it was
> the original office title.  Trinket-, Undead-, Entity-, and Bond-Harfers
> were created last year sometime, and Entity-Harfer was the one that didn't
> survive.  So it brings back bad memories.  :-)

Names are of course malleable.  Financier is fine if it will save trouble
rejigging all the names and holders etc.  What do people think about
double salary for this post (as it is effectively the merger of three
previously held posts into one)?

> > Graphic-Harfer : All documents with a reasonably high visual component:
> > i.e. Map, Hall of Elders, Portrait Gallery.
> > {Just give it all to the Map-Harfer - the Map itself is not a huge load}
> 
> How about "Image-Harfer"?  "Picture-Harfer"?

Picture-Harfer does have a certain ring to it.

> > Game-Harfer: All Subgames, past and present. (Bringing back the old post
> > of Games Master, but just for the purposes of Harfing).
> 
> We could make em the default referee for Duels...:-)  I'm not sure if this
> is 100% necessary, but I wouldn't oppose it on this basis entirely.

Well, I got a comment about the revamped page suggesting that the sub-game
stuff could be moved to its own page (or at least the old sub-games
anyway).  They do take up a significant section of the web page as things
stand, far more significant than other sections (e.g. the Map) which
currently have specialist Harfers.

> 
> > In addition, there would be the option for the Web-Harfer to appoint and
> > remove people at will from the Optional Functional Office of Assistant
> > Web-Harfer, which has 3 Seats.  Each of these would come with the standard
> > salary for an office, and would have the documents they are supposed to
> > handle delegated to them by the Web-Harfer.
> 
> This should maybe go into a separate proposal.  It might be tricky getting
> the Offices set up with the right degree of Optionality.  Or, rather, it
> should be set up like Count Tabula, so only the Web-Harfer can fill the
> Assistantships.

That sounds reasonable - after all, the RFC was only meant to be a first
approximation - that's why it wasn't in proposal form.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 18:42:42 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka Games

On Sun, 22 Feb 1998 [email-masked] wrote:

> [email-masked] wrote:
> > 
> > As soon as I can figure out this new gameing system that quake2 put out
> > we can host our own akagames via Quake2 if you don't already have
> > version 3.2 then get it. And we will battle out online seeing how harfed
> > you guys and ladies really are.

TWIAVBP - not everyone here is running DOS/Windoze by any stretch of the
imagination.  There is also the problem that Quake requires real-time
interaction - how likely would it be that we could get any significant
number of Ackans (currently spread over at least 7 different time zones)
together at the same time?

That's why the games in the G&C Rules are designed to not require
real-time interaction.

Nice thought though...

P.S.  Your last trinket creation attempt failed because you didn't specify
the value of the trinket.  Check Rule 506.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "introducing sanity into a ... oh, never mind" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 19:43:11 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC

	Since the major complaint about the Stock Market proposal seems to
be complexity, I've simplified it, while trying not to sacrifice the
complexity of teh actions of the Stock Market itself.

	Create a rule numbered 530 named "The Stock Market" reading as
delimited by TSM
TSM
a) There is an unownable, nameless, unique entity known as the Stock
Market.  The Stock Market has a value which is at all times equal to the
positivity value plus the activity value..

b)  If for any reason the positivity value is unspecified, it will be set
to 10.  If the positivity value is less than 0, then it will immediately
become 0.  Whenever a proposal passes, at the moment its results are
publicly knowable, the positivity value will increase by 0.1 for every
player who voted in favor of the proposal.  Whenever a proposal fails, at
the moment its results are publicly knowable, the positivity value will
decrease by 0.1 for every player who voted against it.

c)  If for any reason the activity value is unspecified, it will be set to
10.  If the activity value is less than 0, then it will immediately become
0.  At the end of each Acka day, a value called the ACT quotient will be
calculated.  It will be equal to the number of proposals and CFJ's combined
publicly announced during the day, divided by the average number of
proposals and CFJ's combined which have been announced on average in the
course of the game.  If the ACT quotient is greater than 1, then the ACT
quotient minus 1 rounded to the nearest quotient will be added to the
activity value.  If the ACT quotient is less than 1 but greater than 0,
then the recipricol of the ACT quotient, minus 1, rounded to the nearest
quotient will be subtracted from the activity value.  {{[If the ACT
quotient is 0, there will be no change, to reduce the ability of the
Promoter and CotC to manipulate this value.]}}  For purposes of this
section, CFCJ's qualify as CFJ's, and proposals and CFJ's which were
retracted or deemed invalid, but were distributed by the appropriate
officer, are still used.

d) Players may purchase or sell a number of stocks by publicly announcing
that they intend to do so.  The cost of a share will be the value of the
stock market.  If the player lacks enough money to purchase the number of
shares they requested, than the purchase request will be treated as if they
requested the largest number of stocks they can buy without going into
debt.  When a player buys or sells multiple stocks at the same time, than
the stocks will be bought or sold consecutively, one at a time; the cost of
the purchase will be rounded after all stocks specified to be bought or
sold in one group are bought or sold.  At the end of a purchase, the cost
or profit from the sale is rounded to the players disadvantage, except as
specified by the preceeding sentence.  When a player buys a stock they pay
the cost to the treasury and a stock will be created in their possesion.
When a player sells a stock they recieve the cost of the stock from the
treasury, and a stock in their possession is destroyed.
TSM

Create a rule numbered 532 entitled "Stocks" reading as delimited by SSSS
SSSS
	Stocks are nameless, giftable entitied.  They may only be created
as specified in the rules.
SSSS

	Create a rule numbered 534 entitled "The Ackan Reserve" reading as
delimited by TAR
TAR
	There is a named, unownable, unique entity known as The Ackan
Reserve.  There is a functional office with one seat known as Chair of the
Ackan Reserve.

It is a duty of the Chair of the Ackan Reserve to track the value of the
Stock Market, and to make this value available to all players.

{{else...if is appointed Chair of the Ackan Reserve.}}
TAR

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 20:39:06 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka Games

> 
I'll check it out.
If and when the Godess decides I will have one your souls then you'll
respawn and run away like rats in a death camp.

Anybody who has game-spy can put their ip adress up and all you have to
do is join in.

A nice time to get away from the chatter and Kill Kill taste of blood
anyone? It is sweet to the taste but bitter in the mind.

All life is Is Chance when where and with what.

Don't look at me! I did'nt move it!

- -Hoover 2300

________________________________________________________________________________________
We are Explosives-NSOL

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #24
**********************************