Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #22
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest     Friday, February 20 1998     Volume 03 : Number 022

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 01:09:08 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2731

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> Proposal 2731
> Elimination of Quorum
> The Gingham Wearer (Tom Walmsley)
> 
I don't really object to getting rid of quorum, but I do object to
removing the present vote.  I like that you can explictly say that you
don't care about a proposal, as opposed to not voting which is just
apathy.  

rufus

my cd player just scared the hell out of me.  I have it on shuffle, and
only have about 5 discs in it (out of a possible 25).  I went to the
kitchen to fix myself a gibson; the cd player decided that it was going to
try all the empty slots first.  I forgot it was going;  when it came up
with "Please pass the milk Please", I nearly jumped out of my skin.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 02:52:29 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2731

> I don't really object to getting rid of quorum, but I do object to
> removing the present vote.  I like that you can explictly say that you
> don't care about a proposal, as opposed to not voting which is just
> apathy.  

I'm afraid I must object to getting rid of quorum. Legislation should
not be enacted when less than half of the voters have voted. Also,
Alfvaen's Puppet-Head amendment nicely prevents a quorum failure from
triggering a crisis, so I see no good reason to get rid of it. The
abstaining voters are penalized, and the proposal author is not - what
more do you want?

> my cd player just scared the hell out of me.  I have it on shuffle, and
> only have about 5 discs in it (out of a possible 25).  I went to the
> kitchen to fix myself a gibson; the cd player decided that it was going to
> try all the empty slots first.  I forgot it was going;  when it came up
> with "Please pass the milk Please", I nearly jumped out of my skin.

Oh, I wish that I could jump out of my skin....

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 03:28:59 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2731

nOn Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:
> 
> I'm afraid I must object to getting rid of quorum. Legislation should
> not be enacted when less than half of the voters have voted. Also,
> Alfvaen's Puppet-Head amendment nicely prevents a quorum failure from
> triggering a crisis, so I see no good reason to get rid of it. The
> abstaining voters are penalized, and the proposal author is not - what
> more do you want?

I don't really object to keeping quorum either.  I guess I vote present on
the idea, but no on the proposal.

> Oh, I wish that I could jump out of my skin....
> 
It can be damm messsy

rufus

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 12:38:43 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 541 (The Gingham Wearer)

> The Gingham Wearer has (again!) been selected.

I feel much better now. Malenkai's dice seemed to like me but yours and
Veal Fan's haven't been so kind. Up until now :-).

TGW (very tempted to bracket off "up until now" :-)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 17:57:50 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Re: Question #1

> [If this should go in a different mailing list, -please- tell
> me.  I didn't receive the confirmation eMail telling me that
> I had been subscribed to the lists either, because of iName
> problems, so I don't know all the list names.]

The mailing list that is usually used just for pure discussion of
Ackanomic(and Nomic)topics is acka-research.  In your case it seems
doubly appropriate.  :-)

- --
- --Veal Fan(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Elvis Costello & The Attractions:Punch The Clock
Current Book--R.A. Lafferty:Past Master
God is good, God is great, God's a big invertebrate

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 18:03:28 -0500 (EST)
From: Sunflare <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Re: Question #1

At 05:57 PM 2/20/98 -0500, you wrote:
>The mailing list that is usually used just for pure discussion of
>Ackanomic(and Nomic)topics is acka-research.  In your case it seems
>doubly appropriate.  :-)

Wow, groovy.  Gotta love that changing of the 'to' locus. :)

Thanks. :)

Sunflare.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 18:39:12 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Dictionary RFC

Here is my RFC to allow for an extensible document(amended by Proposal)
as an addendum to the Official Dictionary:

proposal Addadictomy

Create a new rule, numbered 346, titled "The Ackanomic Lexicon", with
text as follows(delimited by RUPAUL):
RUPAUL
There exists a document called the Ackanomic Lexicon, which contains
a list of words which are considered to be in the Official Dictionary,
in addition to any other words that other Rules may specify to be there.

The Ackanomic Lexicon may only be modified by use of Proposals, and no
player may be considered to "control" the Lexicon, although it may be
the duty of one or more players to maintain an copy of it.

{{
The Ackanomic Lexicon initially consists of the following words:

banna
frink
frinks
frinking
guberniya
harf
harfed
harfer
harfs
harfy
}}
RUPAUL

{{[ I'm not certain about putting these words in in the same Proposal,
in case there are some who don't want "harfy" to be a valid Double Crash
word or something but like the idea of being able to fill in gaps in the
Dictionary...  Let me know what you think.  And if you have any further
suggestions. ]}}

{{[ What is the past tense of "frink", anyway?  "frinked" or "frank"? ]}}

Amend Rule 430, "Spelling Exchequer", to replace the second paragraph of
Section I. with the following text(delimited by ELTON):

ELTON
Another Duty of the Office of Spelling Exchequer is to select one or
more links to on-line Dictionaries of the English language, as well as
to maintain a copy the Ackanomic Lexicon and make it accessible to
players upon request.  The term "Official Dictionary", as used elsewhere
in the Rules, shall be construed to mean the union of these Dictionaries
and the Lexicon.
ELTON

Amend Rule 407, "Web-Harfer", to insert the text ", and the Ackanomic
Lexicon, " before "when the Office of Spelling Exchequer is not filled."

- --
- --Veal Fan(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Tangerine Dream:Underwater Sunlight
Current Book--R.A. Lafferty:Past Master
Got my tie caught in a fax machine--suddenly I was in LA

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 18:46:36 -0500 (EST)
From: "Matt D. Bradbury" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Dictionary RFC

> 
> ELTON
> Another Duty of the Office of Spelling Exchequer is to select one or
> more links to on-line Dictionaries of the English language, as well as
> to maintain a copy the Ackanomic Lexicon and make it accessible to
> players upon request.  The term "Official Dictionary", as used elsewhere
> in the Rules, shall be construed to mean the union of these Dictionaries
> and the Lexicon.
> ELTON

I just noticed that maybe it should be appended " with the Lexicon having
final say in all cases of ambiguity between the two dictionaries."

- -Enigma 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 18:57:40 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Email programs

Can anyone recomend a good e-mail program? I'm currently using 
Microsoft Internet Mail (the one from with internet explorer) but I 
am now unable to send any emails through it. I've tried re-installing 
it but it still won't work. Whenever I go to the outbox or try 
sending a message I get the response:

"This folder has been damaged.
It will be repaired."

I'm sending this on a shareware program that I happened to have on a 
CD from a magazine cover. If anyone could tell me how to fix the 
problem I am having, or recomend a good program I could download (I 
don't want to download the whole of internet explorer four or 
anything though!) then I would greatly appreciate it. Of the two 
options a fix would be preferable, but advice on either would be very 
welcome.

Cheers
TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 21:34:42 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Dictionary RFC

> > ELTON
> > Another Duty of the Office of Spelling Exchequer is to select one or
> > more links to on-line Dictionaries of the English language, as well as
> > to maintain a copy the Ackanomic Lexicon and make it accessible to
> > players upon request.  The term "Official Dictionary", as used elsewhere
> > in the Rules, shall be construed to mean the union of these Dictionaries
> > and the Lexicon.
> > ELTON

> I just noticed that maybe it should be appended " with the Lexicon having
> final say in all cases of ambiguity between the two dictionaries."

Well, it's not like these are definition lookup dictionaries...what
kind of ambiguity were you thinking of?  Either a word's in one of them(or
all), or it's not; that's not very ambiguous.

- --
- --Veal Fan(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Proclaimers:I'm On My Way
Current Book--R.A. Lafferty:Past Master
A plastic surgeon with a drinking problem raises quite a few eyebrows.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 23:01:48 -0500 (EST)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Players & Observer (Slakko, TGW)

>I'm probably not going to join in with the actual game
>soon -- school is overwhelming.  But I'm doing research
>for a project on Nomic, and I suppose this would be the
>most interesting and informative Nomic to study (cause
>it's so harfy!).

Indeed, we pride ourselves on being an interesting place.

>  I hope no one will find my questions
>terribly annoying or incessant, and if anyone finds them
>offensive I'll gladly attempt to take it to private
>conversation.  But I always find discussion on the basics
>of the game interesting, and perhaps it will result in some
>new ideas for Acka.  Perhaps not.  We'll never know until we
>try, eh?

Let's try and keep the discussion away from the shape of the earth, tomatos,
the colo... light intensity we call black. Oh... and smileys too it would
now seem.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 23:02:11 -0500 (EST)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Players & Observer (Slakko, TGW)

>"I am not a puppet!"  (Using my best Nixon impersonation.  :)  
>
>Enigma

Drats, less than a day old and already severing ties. Next thing you know
they'll be in college and I'll be lucky to get a birthday card... oh...
never mind.   ; )

CnH

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #22
**********************************