Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #21
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest    Thursday, February 19 1998    Volume 03 : Number 021

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 05:37:15 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Stealing Money

> [ Allow players to rob Undead of A$.  This cannot be used on an Undead
> that only possesses A$, and half will go to the Treasury in any case. ]
> 
> Amend Rule 1240.17, "Otzma Card of type Grave Robber," by replacing its
> third and fourth paragraphs with the following $$$-delimited text:
> 
> $$$
> Otherwise, if e names any Undead in the same message, who is not
> controlled as a Zombie, then the following will occur:  If the Undead

<SNIP>

I don't like it. Way too powerful. If you do decide to go with it in the
end though, you should get rid of the bit about zombies. That rule has
been repealed.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 05:37:20 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Contempt (else...if)

> In case you missed it, else...if seems to be in Contempt for bidding
more
> A$ than e had.  The usual A$100 fine/3 days in Gaol choice applies.

Does e actually have any choice here? Won't e have to take the gaol
sentence, because to do otherwise would put em in debt, by his own
choice?

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 06:02:35 -0500 (EST)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Contempt (else...if)

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, The Gingham Wearer wrote:

> > A$ than e had.  The usual A$100 fine/3 days in Gaol choice applies.
> 
> Does e actually have any choice here? Won't e have to take the gaol
> sentence, because to do otherwise would put em in debt, by his own
> choice?

He could sell some trinkets, or someone could give him the money, or rob a
bank or something.

rufus

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 08:32:32 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC

On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, Towsner wrote:

> 	Here's the next draft of my stock market proposal RFC:

I'm still not sure if I want the kind of complexity this is going to give.
I can't say whether or not I'll vote on it at this stage - if not, it will
be because I think that we don't need something this complex added in one
go, especially given the past failure of trading in PFBonds.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 14:35:56 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2719

On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> Proposal 2719
> Infinite Monkeys Take No Space
> Calvin N Hobbes (Thierry Joffrain)
> 
> "The Ackanomic Printing Guild exists. It is a Common Location. Fortunately,
> it is built on an area of land where the Ancient had experiemented with
> their famous Space-Time Compressor, allowing an infinite volume to exist at
> that location. It is a Puny Building. It can be found next to the Library." 

When the proposal creating the Guild passed, I went to all the trouble to
rejig all the buildings etc. to fit it in.  We don't need to undo this.
For one thing, it makes a great big hole near the centre of Acka City.  If
we want to place restrictions on other buildings, we can always say they
are next to the Printing Guild or something.

There's no point in this proposal when I've done all the work relating to
the rule it attempts to "fix" anyway.  Sorry, but that's just how I see
it.

Yours,
Slakko
Map-Harfer
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 15:41:26 -0500 (EST)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2719

> When the proposal creating the Guild passed, I went to all the trouble to
> rejig all the buildings etc. to fit it in.  We don't need to undo this.

Doesn't undo the work of moving things, just shrinks one building.

> For one thing, it makes a great big hole near the centre of Acka City.

Green pastures where the fauna of Ackanomic can roam free, where playful
tug of wars can take place before great constructions again claim the
space, are not a "great big hole".

>  If
> we want to place restrictions on other buildings, we can always say they
> are next to the Printing Guild or something.

I understand that the PG's size is a moot point and arbitrary.
Certainly, while we can argue that bigger is better for some things, I
don't believe a farm house full of monkeys deserve to have such prime
real estate in Ackanomic, and so MUCH of it. If we want it to be this
big, let's put it far on the outskirts.

> There's no point in this proposal when I've done all the work relating to
> the rule it attempts to "fix" anyway.  Sorry, but that's just how I see
> it.

This proposal is not to be cut down to those who agree with the "fix"
made to the map and those who don't: that's the Map-Harfer's job to
decide and a good job was made of that. The whole point of the proposal
is the following question:

"why do we want monkeys taking up so much land in that location?"

Is this so important? The physics of it certainly don't matter, the
number of Monkeys is infinite anyway. Why not make it smaller? Is there
an esoterical reason for requiring this huge building? Are there special
reasons why this needs to be right in the town centre? There are
certainly clear reasons for making it smaller, as I have explained. Of
course, these need to be weighed in consideration with any answer to the
above questions.

If you feel that the modification to the map required would be too time
consuming, then I will certainly consider that as a factor in deciding
whether or not to retract the proposal.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 15:47:22 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2719

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Thierry Joffrain wrote:

> If you feel that the modification to the map required would be too time
> consuming, then I will certainly consider that as a factor in deciding
> whether or not to retract the proposal.

It's not that time consuming - the original movement work was the
significant amount, and this would effectively make it all for nothing.
That's all I'm really slightly disappointed about.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 17:16:53 -0500 (EST)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2719

> It's not that time consuming - the original movement work was the
> significant amount, and this would effectively make it all for nothing.
> That's all I'm really slightly disappointed about.

Hmm, not exactly fair.

I create a trinket called "The Magnificent Web-Harfer", worth A$42. It
is a statue as tall as a mutated head. The statue represents Slakko,
holding on his back an unbreakable glass ball with the map of Ackanomic
in it, changing as Ackanomic's map changes. Legend has it that the
player who owns it can never be lost in Ackanomic. Engraved at the
equator is a message that reads "Real Map-Harfers don't need no
buldozers when a good earthquake will do the job - In memory of Slakko's
earthquake, February 1998".

I give it to Slakko.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 17:31:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2719

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Thierry Joffrain wrote:

> > It's not that time consuming - the original movement work was the
> > significant amount, and this would effectively make it all for nothing.
> > That's all I'm really slightly disappointed about.
> 
> Hmm, not exactly fair.
> 
> I create a trinket called "The Magnificent Web-Harfer", worth A$42. It
> is a statue as tall as a mutated head. The statue represents Slakko,
> holding on his back an unbreakable glass ball with the map of Ackanomic
> in it, changing as Ackanomic's map changes. Legend has it that the
> player who owns it can never be lost in Ackanomic. Engraved at the
> equator is a message that reads "Real Map-Harfers don't need no
> buldozers when a good earthquake will do the job - In memory of Slakko's
> earthquake, February 1998".

I don't think I'm worth that much, but the trinket is such an excellent
job I can't refuse it.  So...

I create a trinket called "The Man With Infinite Monkeys in a Puny Space",
worth A$22. It is a statue as tall as a standard measuring barrel, and in
fact has an outer fibreglass casing shaped exactly like a standard
measuring barrel. Inside the barrel are an apparently infinite number of
monkeys, and a replica of Calvin N Hobbes, enjoying emself.  On the
notional front of the piece (the side from which CnH can be seen straight
on through the monkeys, which are, of course, translucent) is the
inscription "More fun than a barrel of tigers."

I give "The Man With Infinite Monkeys in a Puny Space" to Calvin N Hobbes.

I thank Calvin N Hobbes profusely for the trinket e has provided to me.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 19:08:27 -0500 (EST)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2719

>I create a trinket called "The Man With Infinite Monkeys in a Puny Space",
>worth A$22. It is a statue as tall as a standard measuring barrel, and in
>fact has an outer fibreglass casing shaped exactly like a standard
>measuring barrel. Inside the barrel are an apparently infinite number of
>monkeys, and a replica of Calvin N Hobbes, enjoying emself.  On the
>notional front of the piece (the side from which CnH can be seen straight
>on through the monkeys, which are, of course, translucent) is the
>inscription "More fun than a barrel of tigers."
>
>I give "The Man With Infinite Monkeys in a Puny Space" to Calvin N Hobbes.

Wrrrrroar! Hee hee hee. I like it.   : )

>I thank Calvin N Hobbes profusely for the trinket e has provided to me.

Thank you kindly. (As one mountie, who came to the city of Chicago on the
trail of his father's killer and stayed as liaison to the consulate for
reasons that do not need exploring right now,  would say)

Mr Hobbes the Toy Tiger

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 22:45:21 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Random Sigs

> > > "Will you surrender?" 
> > > "I HAVE NOT YET BEGUN TO FIGHT!" 
> > > "Yeah, we noticed, that's why we asked." 

> > Stolen for my fortunes file.  (Too long for a tagline...)

> Which is why I wrote my own generator.

Oh, so did I, I just have this compulsion to make sure that everyone knows
where my web page is, what I'm reading, and what I'm listening to.  So I
only have room for one line(since everyone knows that .sigs over four lines
are impolite...)

- --
- --Veal Fan(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Valerie Lagrange:Le Jeu
Current Book--R.A. Lafferty:Past Master
People who live in magnesium houses shouldn't throw Molotov Cocktails.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 23:24:30 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2719

> > It's not that time consuming - the original movement work was the
> > significant amount, and this would effectively make it all for nothing.
> > That's all I'm really slightly disappointed about.

> Hmm, not exactly fair.

> I create a trinket called "The Magnificent Web-Harfer", worth A$42. It
> is a statue as tall as a mutated head. The statue represents Slakko,
> holding on his back an unbreakable glass ball with the map of Ackanomic
> in it, changing as Ackanomic's map changes. Legend has it that the
> player who owns it can never be lost in Ackanomic. Engraved at the
> equator is a message that reads "Real Map-Harfers don't need no
> buldozers when a good earthquake will do the job - In memory of Slakko's
> earthquake, February 1998".

> I give it to Slakko.

See?  This is why I was opposed to the Postal Code making acka-research a
place where no game actions could occur.  Because this creation, and
Slakko's response, have no effect.

- --
- --Veal Fan(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Beatles:Love Me Do
Current Book--R.A. Lafferty:Past Master
"Lloyd, you know how stupid I am about moves."

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #21
**********************************