Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #18
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest     Monday, February 16 1998     Volume 03 : Number 018

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 02:13:47 -0500 (EST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Token proposal.

I doubt I'd vote for it anyway. I just don't like the idea of introducing
yet another type of entity Acka.

Niccolo Flychuck

On Sun, 15 Feb 1998, AARON KEESLER wrote:

> Would anyone who voted against this like to make any suggestions, or
> does it just not make anyone happy?  *I* thought it was a good idea :)
> 
> - ------------------
> Aaron Keesler
> Lotus Notes Administrator
> Intranet Administrator
> Adtran, Inc.
> - ------------------
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 03:20:14 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2708 rejected

On Sun, 15 Feb 1998, The Gingham Wearer wrote:

> As I said, I just didn't particularly like the idea. One reason could be
> that I don't like rules where a player has to declare eir allegiance to
> another, since this is effectively saying e doesn't like the other
> papers.

There are already quite a lot of rules involving declarations of
allegiance - parties, voting for Offices, that kind of thing.  What's
particularly troublesome about subscribing to a Newspaper?

> How's this for a brief idea. All newspaper owning players receive a
> certain amount of money when officer salaries are paid. If a player
> believes a newspaper is only existing to exploit this rule then e can
> call a hearing which could destroy the newspaper (this should be reserved
> to a paper which is published once a month with only one article reading,
> "someone did some sort of public action today"). I'm not overly sure if I
> like this or not, but feel free to develop it if you want. It at least
> seems less objectionable to me than your last one.

It would be less harfing to implement (not that that's a problem given
Alfvaen's comments on the last prop.)

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 04:43:32 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Token Compromise

Perhaps we should avoid tokens with the following compromise:

Trinkets can still be created of any value.
However, any player may sneer at a Trinket created of value less than A$6.
If anyone sneers at a trinket within 3 days of its creation, the Trinket
is so unstable, and the sneer so powerful, that the Trinket explodes in a
flurry of Ackadollars equal to its value.

Trinkets with "cool" descriptions or neat and appropriate titles would not
be sneered at, and so would survive, as would trinkets above A$5 in value.

(You can set the min value higher if you want.)

Comments?
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 04:58:07 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Token proposal.

> I doubt I'd vote for it anyway. I just don't like the idea of
introducing
> yet another type of entity Acka.

Yep, me too. It's just another of these ideas that I don't really like.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 04:58:12 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2708 rejected

> From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>

> On Sun, 15 Feb 1998, The Gingham Wearer wrote:
> 
> > As I said, I just didn't particularly like the idea. One reason could
be
> > that I don't like rules where a player has to declare eir allegiance
to
> > another, since this is effectively saying e doesn't like the other
> > papers.
> 
> There are already quite a lot of rules involving declarations of
> allegiance - parties, voting for Offices, that kind of thing.  What's
> particularly troublesome about subscribing to a Newspaper?

I'm not really sure. I was just trying to pin down which particular bit
of the proposal I didn't like. With voting for offices it seems
necessary; we've got to fill the office some way and assigning it
randomly wouldn't really work. There don't appear to be any other ways of
doing it.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 06:35:34 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Token Compromise

> Perhaps we should avoid tokens with the following compromise:
> 
> Trinkets can still be created of any value.
> However, any player may sneer at a Trinket created of value less than
A$6.
> If anyone sneers at a trinket within 3 days of its creation, the
Trinket
> is so unstable, and the sneer so powerful, that the Trinket explodes in
a
> flurry of Ackadollars equal to its value.
> 
> Trinkets with "cool" descriptions or neat and appropriate titles would
not
> be sneered at, and so would survive, as would trinkets above A$5 in
value.
> 
> (You can set the min value higher if you want.)
> 
> Comments?

Isn't this a bit similar to rule 1125 (CPPIA)? I prefer that way of doing
things. If you want a rule like this then it would probably be better
just to modify this.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 12:41:39 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2720

On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

Proposal 2720
> Spin Cycle
> Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)
> 
> {{[ This might defang Tornados a bit.  At the moment they seem almost
> a _wee_ bit too powerful.  And certainly it can't be much fun for the
> Chess-Umpire to have to figure out who's in Check whenever a Tornado's
> on the board... :-) ]}}

Oh, I'm not worried :-)

> 
> Amend Rule 1203.19, "Creation of a PartyChessPiece Tornado", as follows:
> 
> Amend Section 4.c), by replacing "move up to M squares" with "move up
> to M-K squares", and inserting the following text(delimited by BOUNCE)
> just before the final period of that section:
> 
> BOUNCE
> , and K is the number of the current move segment less one(so that on
> the second segment of its move, the Tornado can move M-1, on the third
> M-2, etc., for whatever the value of M is for that segment).
> BOUNCE
What happens when the Tornado has to move a negative number of squares?
You have a fencepost error that needs correcting.

Yours,
Slakko
Chess-Umpire and Tornado Guy
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 13:12:50 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Trinket creation...

> 	I create a trinket named "Rejected Newbie" worth A$50.  It is a round 
> medallion, about 3 inches in diameter, and made of lead.  It hangs from
a black 
> ribbon which is long enough for anybody in the realm of Ackanonia to
wear 
> comfortably.  On one each face of the medallion is an identical design
- - a 
> generic face, with a very sad expression on it, and above the face are
the words 
> "Rejected Newbie", sloppily painted in white.  It's really depressing
to look 
> at.

Don't worry about it. It took me eleven proposals before I got my first
one accepted...

TGW

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 17:39:21 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Token Compromise

> Isn't this a bit similar to rule 1125 (CPPIA)? I prefer that way of doing
> things. If you want a rule like this then it would probably be better
> just to modify this.

Maybe Tammany will cast an extra vote for "trite and inane" in any CPPIA
where the trinket's value is less than A$5, or its description is "It is
green."  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Mae Moore:Bohemia
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
KEEP OFF THE SIGN

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #18
**********************************