Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #256
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest    Thursday, February 12 1998    Volume 03 : Number 256

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 01:01:52 -0500 (EST)
From: aaron shapiro <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2689 rejected

- ----------
From:  aaron shapiro
Sent:  Wednesday, February 11, 1998 9:55 PM
To:  'Towsner'
Subject:  RE: Acka: Proposal 2689 rejected

Sorry ive been really busy.  I will try (no doubt unsuccessfully) to be =
more responsible in the future......also I have this cool bridge I need =
to sell if anyone wants it and believed my previous statement.
Bill

- ----------
From:  Towsner
Sent:  Wednesday, February 11, 1998 5:00 PM
To:  [email-masked]
Subject:  Re: Acka: Proposal 2689 rejected

>If I were to Foolishly re-propose this, would enough people abandon =
their
>evil anti-voting ways to pass it?  I think I can manage to pressure =
Bill
>TPK into voting for it and that would get it two more.
	I would.

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and =
Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 01:10:10 -0500 (EST)
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2689 rejected

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> > Slakko, what were you doing?  I thought you liked this one.  Ouch.  This
> > is enough to make me renounce anti-voting forever.  (actually, I
> > considered anti-voting this one, just becuase people seemed to like it.)

> I liked the idea, but thought it was possibly a little too complicated.
> It wasn't an anti-vote.

What, specifically, didn't you like about it?  It would help to know that
if I were going to resubmit.  I agree it is kind of complicated, but I
think that it's silly and pointless enough (i.e. having no important game
effects besides a transfer of A$ here and a T-Shirt there) to not matter.

I'd like to see it pass; I think that Acka needs a bit more irreverence.
If you can't tell from the way I play.

- -rico

If we can't shoot them, why is it called hurricane season?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 02:26:37 -0500 (EST)
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Ackanomic Sensurround

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> Interestingly, I have seen the concept of songs having game effects used
> before in a Nomic.  It was Imperial Nomic 9, one that I ran as TIE&THS.
> We used letter labelled points, and you could spend C,D to get a CD which
> would have certain effects.  It ended up being heavily involved in the
> game win, but by then we had hit 300 Proposals, a record at the time for
> Imperial Nomic.

And every time I think I *am* being original...

Actually, in checking out your IN pages, I notice that Night of the
Living Dead Nomic also had a sound system which had game effects.

*Sigh* There are no original ideas left.  (Thomas Huxley said it first..)

I really liked Night of the Living Dead by the way, especially how one
player would introduce a term (e.g. Zombie) without explaining it at all,
and let the other players build on it.  That ends up being more fun, in
my opinion, than one player detailing everything about a specific entity.

> I like the touch with Esoteric Songs.  Perhaps we could end up merging
> this with Agenda Hats somehow :-)

Yeah, I can foresee some pretty interesting combinations coming up.  I
agree, though, that when I submit it, I should only include one, maybe
two, rather ineffectual songs, and let the "Slakko wins" songs come later.
:-)  Since Vynd doesn't like mementoes of Deliverance (does anyone
remember some comedian remarking, during the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta,
that if Ned Beatty couldn't make it down that river, there's no way some
kayaking Frenchman in Spandex is going to do it?) I'm open to suggestions
as to what I should include.  I have several others, but most are rather
complicated or far-reaching in their game effects, and I'd like to submit
a simple one with the ASS proposal just to set precedence for how it's
done.

Oh, and I considered having the Games and Contests-style hearing, but
wondered if that might not be too lax for a submission which can affect
the game state.  In any case, the rule can always be modified later to
include that.  I do, though, welcome suggestions for songs.

> That's the neatest precedence language I've seen in a long while.

Do you think it will work, or are there ways through it, O Mighty 
Loophole-Finder?  Oh, that's right, e's on vacation.

- -rico

If we can't shoot them, why is it called taco seasoning?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 03:12:37 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2690 accepted

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> 
Results of Proposal 2690
> 
> 19/25 votes: Quorum achieved
> 11/18 YES votes: Proposal accepted
Close one, wasn't it?

> 
>     YES:
> Goldenmean           (Boomerangs)
> Balsamic Dragon      (SPAM)
> The Gingham Wearer   (Klingon)
> Guy Fawkes
> Calvin N Hobbes      (Harf)
> rufus                (SPAM)
> Illusion
> else...if            (Klingon)
> Slakko               (SPAM)
> Fortunato            (SPAM)
> SPAM Unity Vote
Hmmmm. Looks like the mighty Klingons still need some outside assistance
once in a while.
> 
>     ABSTAINED:
> Rex Mundi            (Klingon)
To be executed for incompetence?

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
Acka - RuneMaker ChessUmpire Senator Map-Harfer .Nomic - HP(Morpork)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:02:12 -0500 (EST)
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC: PartyChessPiece Vampire

I thought this was an interesting idea to implement special moves if they
pass.  Should I have posted it to acka-chess?  Too late now.

(OK, so I'm bored and browsing goth sites.)

Create a new Rule in the Party Chess Rule Suite, with the lowest decimal
number greater than 10 that would make it unique, with the title "Creation
of PartyChessPiece Vampire," and the following MORAL VICTORIES
DON'T-delimited text:

MORAL VICTORIES DON'T
A Vampire is a piece with a Material Value of 8.

It is represented by the character V.

Its Move is up to four squares in any horizontal, vertical, or diagonal
direction.

If a Vampire captures a piece, that piece's Material Value in Swingpoints
is transferred from the owner of the captured piece to the owner of the
Vampire.  If the owner of the captured piece does not have enough
Swingpoints, all of eir Swingpoints are transferred to the owner of the
Vampire.

A Vampire's Special Move is to drain the abilities of a piece.  If a
Vampire is at a distance of 1 from another piece, its controlling Swinger
may spend 1 Benefyt and announce that the Vampire is using its Special
Move on the target piece.  The Vampire promotes to the target piece, but
retains the ability to transfer Swingpoints from the owner of a captured
piece and the Special ability to drain powers in addition to any
abilities and/or Special Moves of the target piece. The letter
representing the drained piece is appended to its character 
representation, unless the Vampire has already drained a piece, in which
case, the letter of the newly drained piece replaces that of the old one.
In any case, the target piece promotes to a Zombie, but does not change
ownership.

{{ If there exist no entities known as Benefyts, which can be purchased
for a conversion of 10 Swingpoints, repeal the previous paragraph. }}
MORAL VICTORIES DON'T

- -rico

I'm the most sane person that I'm sure exists.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:02:14 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2689 rejected

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Rico wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Towsner wrote:
> 
> > >Slakko, what were you doing?  I thought you liked this one.  Ouch.  This
> > >is enough to make me renounce anti-voting forever.  (actually, I
> > >considered anti-voting this one, just becuase people seemed to like it.)
> > 	I feel really guilty, because I anti-voted on this one.  Sorry:)
> 
> If I were to Foolishly re-propose this, would enough people abandon their
> evil anti-voting ways to pass it?  I think I can manage to pressure Bill
> TPK into voting for it and that would get it two more.
> 
> Alternately, what problems did Slakko and the rest of those who voted
> against it have with it?  I don't necessarily want to keep it immutable as
> is; I'm quite open to suggestions.

Maybe if you wait a week or two.  I'll probably vote for it on a second
round.

The only possible problem is that it is one of those "big hunk o'rules"
proposals - once it stops fitting on one or two screens, there's a risk
too many people will switch off and some scambait can get through.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
Acka - RuneMaker ChessUmpire Senator Map-Harfer .Nomic - HP(Morpork)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:06:11 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: PartyChessPiece Vampire

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Rico wrote:

> If a Vampire captures a piece, that piece's Material Value in Swingpoints
> is transferred from the owner of the captured piece to the owner of the
> Vampire.  If the owner of the captured piece does not have enough
> Swingpoints, all of eir Swingpoints are transferred to the owner of the
> Vampire.

Ack! Too powerful.  It is currently impossible to get more than 10
Swingpoints in any one shot - and that requires you winning the game of
PartyChess.  The Vampire could theoretically grab 11 Swingpoints at once.
I suggest this be toned down to a max of 3 or 4 Swingpoints.

I don't know how successful the promote rule will be, it's bound to be the
subject of some CFJs, as it is only a "semi-promotion".

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
Acka - RuneMaker ChessUmpire Senator Map-Harfer .Nomic - HP(Morpork)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:15:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: PartyChessPiece Vampire

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> Ack! Too powerful.  It is currently impossible to get more than 10
> Swingpoints in any one shot - and that requires you winning the game of
> PartyChess.  The Vampire could theoretically grab 11 Swingpoints at once.
> I suggest this be toned down to a max of 3 or 4 Swingpoints.

OK, good idea.  I wanted that to be a rather minor power anyway; not
having played, I didn't know what would be a proper amount.  Seeing as
some people have massive amounts of 'em, I thought it might work.  I'll
make 4 the max.

> I don't know how successful the promote rule will be, it's bound to be the
> subject of some CFJs, as it is only a "semi-promotion".

Yeah, I'll have to check the precedence and wording more carefully when
I've had more sleep.  Till then, do others think this might work?

- -rico

If we can't shoot them, why is it called tourist season? 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:29:59 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: PartyChessPiece Vampire

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Rico wrote:

> OK, good idea.  I wanted that to be a rather minor power anyway; not
> having played, I didn't know what would be a proper amount.  Seeing as
> some people have massive amounts of 'em, I thought it might work.  I'll
> make 4 the max.

The large numbers some people have have been accumulated over a few
months.  The record for Swingpoints earned in a single fortnight is
currently 6.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
Acka - RuneMaker ChessUmpire Senator Map-Harfer .Nomic - HP(Morpork)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 09:25:57 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Ackanomic Sensurround

So I guess the big question is:  What exactly does the Fat Lady sing?

Balsamic Dragon

(might I suggest Flight of the Valkeries?)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:30:37 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: presidental election results.

> Slakko by one:

Congratulations President Slakko!

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:38:57 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: acka: presidental election results.

Indeed, congratulations.  Make SPAM and Acka proud :)

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	The Gingham Wearer [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Thursday, February 12, 1998 11:31 AM
>To:	research
>Subject:	Re: acka: presidental election results.
>
>> Slakko by one:
>
>Congratulations President Slakko!
>
>
>TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:51:54 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: acka: presidental election results.

AARON KEESLER wrote:
> 
> Indeed, congratulations.  Make SPAM and Acka proud :)
> 
> >-----Original Message-----
> >From:  The Gingham Wearer [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> >Sent:  Thursday, February 12, 1998 11:31 AM
> >To:    research
> >Subject:       Re: acka: presidental election results.
> >
> >> Slakko by one:
> >
> >Congratulations President Slakko!
yeah.
Hoover 2300
some-one keeps moving my eye chair.
> >
> >
> >TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 14:55:06 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Ackanomic Sensurround

> I really liked Night of the Living Dead by the way, especially how one
> player would introduce a term (e.g. Zombie) without explaining it at all,
> and let the other players build on it.  That ends up being more fun, in
> my opinion, than one player detailing everything about a specific entity.

Well, there's still opportunities with Walls of Trombones etc.  Which,
now that I think about it, should be associated with the Sound System
somehow...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Bruce Willis:Down In Hollywood
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
The night is pleasing to us because, like memory, it erases idle details.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 14:55:12 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Ackanomic Sensurround

> This is an idea I'd been playing with for a while, and I thought I'd float
> it out before I proposed it and see if the rest of you beings have any
> suggestions and/or corrections:

As the person who always has a Song In My Head, I'd definitely go for this
one.  I foresee a lot of my money going into this one.  :-)

> Create a Rule with a unique number X in the 1100's entitled "Ackanomic
> Sound System Rule Suite" with the following BODLY-delimited text:

> BODLY
> [ Ackanomic needs a sound track.  The Ackanomic Sound System provides
> this.  Players can, at any time, change the song playing for a meager A$5,
> as long as the song is one that has no game effects.  Songs that have game
> effects can be added to the Rule Suite via Proposal. (I was thinking of
> having a Games-and-Contests-style hearing, but figured since the Songs
> can affect the game state, and Games and Contests explicitly say they
> don't, this had better all be on the up-and-up.) ]

> I. Ackanomic Sound System & Songs
> There exists a unique, unownable entity known as the Ackanomic Sound 
> System (hereafter, for purposes of the Rules in this Rule Suite, known as
> the ASS.)

An unfortunate acronym...:-)

> There exists a class of entities known as Ackanomic Sound System Songs
> (hereafter, for purposes of the Rules in this Rule Suite, known as Songs.)
> Songs may be either Mundane or Esoteric, but not both.

Do they need to be Entities?

> A Mundane Song is one that has no trigger or game effects defined in a
> Rule in this Rule Suite.  An Esoteric Song is one that has a Trigger
> and Effect defined in a Rule in this Rule Suite.

> II. Description
> Nobody knows for certain the location of the ASS, for its music is audible
> at exactly the same unobtrusive volume throughout the whole of Ackanomic.
> It is said that those who wish not to hear the music of the ASS can
> insulate their dwellings with ripe broccoli gathered with a golden
> sickle (or Boomerang) on the night of a full Spotlight.  Unfortunately,
> not being able to hear the music does not exclude a player from the
> music's effects.

So if you don't know where it is, you can't give the ASS a kick?  :-)

> The control panel for the ASS is located in the Ackanomic Library.  Any
> player who is in the library may cause the ASS to play any Mundane 
> song e chooses by making a public post which states the following:

> a) The sentence "And inside, the jukebox roars just like thunder." [ Van
> Morrison, "Wild Nights" ] 

You do realize that Van Morrison is, by oversight, not on the Literature
List...

> b) the action of placing A$5 into the banna-shaped slot in the control
> panel, and  
> c) the name of the song e wishes to play and the artist to whom the
> song is credited.

> [ Example of a request of a Mundane Song:
> And inside, the jukebox roars just like thunder.
> I am going to the Library.
> I am placing A$5 into the slot on the control panel.
> I wish to play "Wild Nights" by Van Morrison. ]

> Upon these actions being successfully completed, one of the following four
> events will take place:

> d) If the Song requested is Esoteric, the request fails.
> e) If the Song requested is Mundane and the Song currently playing on the
> ASS is Esoteric, the request fails.
> f) If both the Song requested and the Song currently playing are Mundane,
> the Song currently playing will immediately cease playing, and, after a
> pause of an infinitesimal amount of time to switch tracks, the ASS will
> immediately begin playing the requested Song.

An infinitesimal amount of time?  I gotta get me one of these!  :-)

> In any of these three cases, the A$5 is transferred from the player to the
> Treasury.

> It is the duty of the sadly overworked Web-Harfer to maintain a record
> somewhere of what song is currently playing on the ASS and whether that
> song is Esoteric or Mundane.

As long as e doesn't have to provide a .wav file or anything...

> {{ The Ackanomic Sound System is currently playing "Romeo and Juliet" by
> Dire Straits; a Mundane Song. }}

"Juliet...when we made love, you used to cry..."  Indigo Girls do a good
version of this song too.

> III. Creating & Playing Esoteric Songs
> Esoteric Songs are defined by sub-rules of this Rule Suite, and nowhere
> else.  A Rule that is part of this Rule Suite may define more than one
> Esoteric Song.  Any definition of an Esoteric Song must include at least
> the following four lettered attributes of the song:

> a) Title: the title, or name, of the Song.
> b) Artist: the artist or artists who wrote and/or performed the Song.
> c) Trigger: a condition referring to the Ackanomic game state that can, at
> any time, be easily and unambiguously identified to be either true or
> false.  [ e.g. "Four or more players have a score of above 300." ]
> d) Effect: the effect, if any, that the playing of this Song has on the
> game and/or game state of Ackanomic.

> The definition is encouraged, but not required, to include these two
> attributes also:

> e) Duration: The length of time for which the Song will play if not
> interrupted.  If this is not included, it defaults to three days.
> f) Explanation: The player submitting an Esoteric Song is encouraged to
> explain why the game effects pertain to the title or lyrics of the song.

> Rules defining Esoteric Songs may also define entities other than those
> Songs.  However, an entity defined in a Rule defining an Esoteric Song may
> never have affect the game state unless that Song is currently playing on
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do you mean "never affect"?

> the ASS.  The entity will go Somewhere Else as soon as the Song ceases
> playing, and all effects generated by its presence will cease at that
> moment.  However, any permanent changes it made to the game state will
> endure.  [ For example, if the Chocolate Frog were defined in such a Rule,
> its owner would no longer get its bonuses once it left, but if the Really
> Big Blue Thing etc. were, any names it had scrambled would remain so. ]

As long as this has no effect on Entities that are defined outside of those
Rules.

> An Esoteric Song will begin playing immediately upon its Condition
> becoming true, regardless of any other Song that may be playing on the
> ASS.  The Song will continue playing until one or more of the following
> become true:

Whose responsibility is it to note that an Esoteric Song's conditions have
been satisfied?  (The Speaker's, I imagine, by default...)  There should
be some limits, too, so we can't defined that "The Best Is Yet To Come"
starts playing the day before a Chrome Streak starts...:-)  Or do the
rest of the Rules work well enough to guarantee that?

>  - its Duration is expired and its Trigger is no longer true, or
>  - another Esoteric Song's Trigger becomes true,

> upon any of which it will stop playing. All game Effects described in the
> Song's definition will begin instantaneously when the Song starts to play,
> and cease immediately when the Song stops playing, unless specified
> otherwise in the Rule creating the Song.

> IV. Precedence Issues
> This Rule takes precedence over any Rules which state or imply that the
> playing of a Song on the Ackanomic Sound System can have no effect on the
> game and/or game state of Ackanomic.

> This Rule, and all Rules that are part of this Rule Suite, defer
> precedence to any Rules with which they might conflict, except as stated
> in the sentence immediately preceding this one.
> BODLY

> Create a rule numbered X.1 (where X is the base number of the
> Ackanomic Sound System Rule Suite) with the title "ASS Song: Dueling
> Banjos" and the following WHEEWHEE-delimited text:

> WHEEWHEE
> Title: Dueling Banjos

> Artist: Traditional {{ [if anyone knows who originally wrote this, or
> remembers the names of the two guys (well, one guy and an
> Australopithecus) who played it in "Deliverance," please let me know. ]}}

The version that was a hit in the 70's was done by Eric Weissberg & Steve
Mandell, which is the extent of my knowledge about it.

> Trigger: When a valid team of four people, which possesses both the Great
> Oars of Ackanomic and the Great Raft of Ackanomic, announces eir intent to
> take a rafting trip down the Great River of Ackanomic.

Maybe this could just be "When a Rafting Trip starts..."

> Duration: Until the results of the rafting trip are publicly announced,
> and for three Acka days thereafter.

> Effect: While this song is playing, any player who is involved in a
> rafting trip on the Great River of Ackanomic, or has been involved in such
> a trip in the past three days, must include in all public messages text
> evocative of the sound of a pig squealing, in addition to any other
> inclusions mandated by the results of the rafting trip.  All such players
> are also encouraged to complain publicly about pain in their posterior
> region.  All other players are encouraged to mock them publicly, possibly
> including such lines as "Squeal!  Squeal like a pig, boy!" and "E's got a
> real purty mouth, ain't e?" ["Deliverance," John Boorman ]

I'm not crazy about these effects, though.

> Explanation: If you don't get it yet, watch "Deliverance."  You will.
> {{[ Alternatively, check out the IMDb listing for it.  Some of the
> keywords they list are pretty hilarious. ]}}
> WHEEWHEE

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Twin Peaks:Fire Walk With Me Soundtrack
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
I'd like a Slow Comfortable Screw On The Beach With An Orgasm....

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:05:09 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: CFJ 533 (FALSE)

Should I just go ahead and appeal this myself, and save someone else the
effort?  That way, if my judgement gets overturned, I lose points, and
if it doesn't, I frivolously appealed and lose points.

Fortunato
(not a very confident Judge)

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	Vivian Norwood [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Thursday, February 12, 1998 2:00 PM
>To:	Ackanomic
>Subject:	Acka: CFJ 533 (FALSE)
>
>Clerk of the Courts
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>Call For Judgement 533 - February 6, 1998
>Subject: Headquarters
>Initiator: The Gingham Wearer (sent February 5, 1998,6:14 p.m.)
>Judge: Fortunato (selected February 6, 1998, 10:25 p.m.)
>Judgement: FALSE
>
>Statement:
>
>There exists a building called "Rule 1 is repealed. #1 Headquarters".
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:55:42 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Ackanomic Sensurround

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Vivian Norwood wrote:

> So I guess the big question is:  What exactly does the Fat Lady sing?
> 
> Balsamic Dragon
> 
> (might I suggest Flight of the Valkeries?)
>  
> 

At the moment, the only regulation of what the Fat Lady sings is that, if
a player wins due to the End of the World, she will indeed sing The End of
the World as We Know It.

                                - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:00:17 -0500 (EST)
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Ackanomic Sensurround

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Vivian Norwood wrote:

> So I guess the big question is:  What exactly does the Fat Lady sing?
> 
> Balsamic Dragon
> 
> (might I suggest Flight of the Valkeries?)

I was actually thinking of having her sing the song from Casablanca, so a
player who just won could say "Play it again, Sam," (her name is Samantha,
of course) and she would start singing again; if e did this too much e
would be said to be Gloating and would get some penalty.

But I like yours better :-)

(And yes, I do know that the line isn't "Play it again," but I'm a victim
of custom.)

- -rico

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:01:08 -0500 (EST)
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Ackanomic Sensurround

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> Well, there's still opportunities with Walls of Trombones etc.  Which,
> now that I think about it, should be associated with the Sound System
> somehow...

Well, if there are seventy-six of them per Wall...

- -rico

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:07:23 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: CFJ 533 (FALSE)

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, AARON KEESLER wrote:

> Should I just go ahead and appeal this myself, and save someone else the
> effort?  That way, if my judgement gets overturned, I lose points, and
> if it doesn't, I frivolously appealed and lose points.
> 
> 
> Fortunato
> (not a very confident Judge)

So I gather.  This is something of a stick issue, I don't blame you.  In
the future, you might want to consider ruling UNDECIDED, and sending it to
the SC without messy appeals and penalties.

                                 - Vynd

[email-masked]

> 
> >-----Original Message-----
> >From:	Vivian Norwood [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> >Sent:	Thursday, February 12, 1998 2:00 PM
> >To:	Ackanomic
> >Subject:	Acka: CFJ 533 (FALSE)
> >
> >Clerk of the Courts
> >-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >Call For Judgement 533 - February 6, 1998
> >Subject: Headquarters
> >Initiator: The Gingham Wearer (sent February 5, 1998,6:14 p.m.)
> >Judge: Fortunato (selected February 6, 1998, 10:25 p.m.)
> >Judgement: FALSE
> >
> >Statement:
> >
> >There exists a building called "Rule 1 is repealed. #1 Headquarters".
> >
> >
> 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:11:27 -0500 (EST)
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Ackanomic Sensurround

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> An unfortunate acronym...:-)

Yeah, I thought it was rather providential too.  I thought of changing it,
but kept it because of the possibility of vile puns, of which you managed
to create the first:

> So if you don't know where it is, you can't give the ASS a kick?  :-)

Nor can you get a piece of it.  (And I was the second.)

> You do realize that Van Morrison is, by oversight, not on the Literature
> List...

I didn't really intend it to be Literature, but thought that if an artist
not on the List was cited, he/she/they would be placed on the List.
Otherwise, it would take a lot of proposals to put all the artists anyone
might possibly want to cite on there.  How, then, is the List modified?

> An infinitesimal amount of time?  I gotta get me one of these!  :-)

From the same people (or Aliens) who brought you Phoebe the Steel Flea,
the self-teleporting Machine, and the self-repairing Vacation Hats.  Thank
(snow)God for nanotech!

> "Juliet...when we made love, you used to cry..."  Indigo Girls do a good
> version of this song too.

So I've heard, but never managed to find a version of them doing it.  I
put that on there because the version Dire Straits does on "Brothers in
Arms" is one of my favorite songs, and it was stuck in my head because one
of my friends mentioned something about "I forget the movie song," which
was more than enough to set me off when I was writing that RFC.  And now,
thanks to you, it's back. :-)

> Do you mean "never affect"?

Whoops, I changed that in my .txt file, but must have sent an old version.
Yeah, I generally get all haughty and correct people who get the two mixed
up (as with "ensure" and "insure," "parameter" and "perimeter," and 
other such common confusions.  People, however, who mix up "your" and
"you're" I shoot without trial.  Also "its" and "it's".)  But you're
right, I gotta go flog myself now for missing that.

> As long as this has no effect on Entities that are defined outside of those
> Rules.

So you're saying that once a Song stops playing, any changes it may have
made to the game state, however ineffectual, should cease?  That, for
example, names changed by "The Name Game" (by Shirley Whats-her-face) to
"Alfvaen-baen-fo-faen etc." would revert as soon as the song stopped?
That I can see, but how about, for example, when "Werewolves of London"
starts playing and the Werewolf comes out and bites a player, who
immediately becomes Lycanthropic?  Could he keep that attribute, and go
crazy next time "Bad Moon Rising" comes on?  I think I need to examine
these issues a bit more closely in how I word the Rule.

> Whose responsibility is it to note that an Esoteric Song's conditions have
> been satisfied?  (The Speaker's, I imagine, by default...)  There should
> be some limits, too, so we can't defined that "The Best Is Yet To Come"
> starts playing the day before a Chrome Streak starts...:-)  Or do the
> rest of the Rules work well enough to guarantee that?

I seriously doubt that. :-)  No, I realized that all our current offices
are quite overworked, and was thinking of creating a DeeJay office whose
responsibility it is to maintain the ASS Rule Suite, the song currently
playing, and monitor conditions.  What do you beings think?

> The version that was a hit in the 70's was done by Eric Weissberg & Steve
> Mandell, which is the extent of my knowledge about it.

That's the one I was thinking of.  Thanks.  If anyone is reading this far
down in the message, I create a trinket valued at A$10, called "The
Memorex Award," with the following description: "It is a largish medallion
made of chartreuse platinum with an engraving of a guitar on one side and
a banjo on the other.  If the large button near the banjo is pressed, it
plays the version of 'Dueling Banjos' done by Eric Weissberg & Steve
Mandell, which was a hit in the 70's, in full-quality Ackanomic
Sensurround sound.  If the small, nearly invisible button near the guitar
is pressed, it oinks."

I give this trinket to Alfvaen.

I give my apologies to Vynd.

> Maybe this could just be "When a Rafting Trip starts..."

Since Vynd doesn't like Deliverance, I'm going to take this out of my ASS
(yes!  two vile puns in one message) proposal and put another less
offensive one in.  Anyone who wishes is free to propose the Dueling Banjos
one however they choose, but I'd rather not offend other players.  (Any
more than is absolutely necessary, of course.)

> I'm not crazy about these effects, though.

Like I say, feel free to propose it yourself with other effects if and
when the ASS passes.

Well, that was almost a third pun.

- -rico

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:11:38 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: CFJ 533 (FALSE)

That's what I was going to do at first, but I'm starting to find judging
CFJ's one of the more enjoyable things about Nomic.  I'm more interested
in judging and being wrong (and maybe learning something) than losing no
points :)

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	John Frederic Mc Coy [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Thursday, February 12, 1998 3:07 PM
>To:	[email-masked]'
>Subject:	RE: Acka: CFJ 533 (FALSE)
>
>
>
>On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, AARON KEESLER wrote:
>
>> Should I just go ahead and appeal this myself, and save someone else the
>> effort?  That way, if my judgement gets overturned, I lose points, and
>> if it doesn't, I frivolously appealed and lose points.
>> 
>> 
>> Fortunato
>> (not a very confident Judge)
>
>So I gather.  This is something of a stick issue, I don't blame you.  In
>the future, you might want to consider ruling UNDECIDED, and sending it to
>the SC without messy appeals and penalties.
>
>                                 - Vynd
>
>[email-masked]
>
>> 
>> >-----Original Message-----
>> >From:	Vivian Norwood [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>> >Sent:	Thursday, February 12, 1998 2:00 PM
>> >To:	Ackanomic
>> >Subject:	Acka: CFJ 533 (FALSE)
>> >
>> >Clerk of the Courts
>> >-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> >Call For Judgement 533 - February 6, 1998
>> >Subject: Headquarters
>> >Initiator: The Gingham Wearer (sent February 5, 1998,6:14 p.m.)
>> >Judge: Fortunato (selected February 6, 1998, 10:25 p.m.)
>> >Judgement: FALSE
>> >
>> >Statement:
>> >
>> >There exists a building called "Rule 1 is repealed. #1 Headquarters".
>> >
>> >
>> 
>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:40:26 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: RFC: Ackanomic Sensurround

It's on the album Rites of Passage.  I like it much better than the
original. 

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	Rico [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Thursday, February 12, 1998 3:11 PM
>To:	[email-masked]
>Subject:	Re: Acka: RFC: Ackanomic Sensurround
>
>
>> "Juliet...when we made love, you used to cry..."  Indigo Girls do a good
>> version of this song too.
>
>So I've heard, but never managed to find a version of them doing it.  I
>put that on there because the version Dire Straits does on "Brothers in
>Arms" is one of my favorite songs, and it was stuck in my head because one of
>my friends mentioned something about "I forget the movie song," which was
>more than enough to set me off when I was writing that RFC.  And now, thanks
>to you, it's back. :-)
>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 17:38:11 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Query

To which list are messages pertaining to chess or games and contests, but
not actually a move or anything like that, meant to go? The research list,
or the chess/games list?

The Gingham Wearer.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 17:44:07 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Query

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, The Gingham Wearer wrote:

> To which list are messages pertaining to chess or games and contests, but
> not actually a move or anything like that, meant to go? The research list,
> or the chess/games list?

Research.  The Postal Code specifies that the chess and games lists are
for _game actions_.  I know that we haven't been entirely playing it that
way - maybe the lists should be configured like voting, so that the
default reply to an acka-chess or acka-games message is to acka-research?

Just a thought.

Slakko
President "Gumball"
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 18:31:26 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: And You Thought You Had Problems (now RFC)

> Look at .Nomic - currently every player is winning an infinite number of
> cycles every second.  And all because of one single typo that was
> overlooked during the proposal's submission.
> 
> There is a fix out - I'm going to set the cycle number to omega+1.
> 
> .Nomic - the only game with an infinite number of cycles.

An RFC: All players who have won an infinite number of times in another
nomic shall gain a cycle win.

TGW, who expects Slakko would approve of this but not anyone else :-)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 18:54:03 -0500 (EST)
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: And You Thought You Had Problems (now RFC)

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, The Gingham Wearer wrote:

> TGW, who expects Slakko would approve of this but not anyone else :-)

Or anyone else who had the foresight to immediately join .Nomic...

(dot Nomic dot dot dot)

- -rico

The glass isn't half empty *or* half full. It's just twice as big as it 
should be. 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 22:12:19 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Ackanomic Sensurround

> > The version that was a hit in the 70's was done by Eric Weissberg & Steve
> > Mandell, which is the extent of my knowledge about it.

> That's the one I was thinking of.  Thanks.  If anyone is reading this far
> down in the message, I create a trinket valued at A$10, called "The
> Memorex Award," with the following description: "It is a largish medallion
> made of chartreuse platinum with an engraving of a guitar on one side and
> a banjo on the other.  If the large button near the banjo is pressed, it
> plays the version of 'Dueling Banjos' done by Eric Weissberg & Steve
> Mandell, which was a hit in the 70's, in full-quality Ackanomic
> Sensurround sound.  If the small, nearly invisible button near the guitar
> is pressed, it oinks."

> I give this trinket to Alfvaen.

> I give my apologies to Vynd.

Unfortunately, this being posted to acka-research, none of this happens...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Gerry Rafferty:Baker Street
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
By the time I have money to burn, my fire will be out.

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #256
***********************************