Subject: acka-research-digest V2 #213
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest      Friday, January 2 1998      Volume 02 : Number 213

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 23:49:07 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Nomics(Proposal 2545)

> > {{ The nomic Agora is transferred to Robert Sevin, and the nomic Pumpkin
> > Patch Nomic is transferred to Red Barn. All other Internomic member nomics
> > are initially owned by the Treasury. Any nomics which are not Internomic
> > member nomics are destroyed. }}

Okay, _now_ I believe that the CSRR has a duty to avoid naming conflicts
between the nomic Pumpkin Patch Nomic and the organization Pumpkin Patch
Nomic...

I would like the Ambassador to let me know which nomics _are_ members
of Internomic, so I can figure out which ones are in the Treasury.  Or
were until the Beldin's Pants effects happened at noon.  (I presume
that, similarly to the way trinkets were handled earlier, the Parka
recipients shall end up getting existing nomics from the Treasury or
other players...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Fluke:Risotto
Current Book--David Foster Wallace:Infinite Jest
Revenge is a dish best served...with tangy Miracle Whip!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 23:30:19 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2552

> SOME ACTIONS:

> I hereby create a trinket, The Scarlet 'G', valued at A$5.  It is a six-inch
> tall capital 'G', Roman typeface, cut from scarlet felt.  It it designed to
> be sewn onto the left breast of a shirt, cloak, jacket, or other garment for
> the upper body.  In small letters on the back is written "Love, H. P."

> I give The Scarlet 'G' to The Gingham Wearer.

I contradict myself, I believe this action does not occur because it
was posted on acka-research, which, under the current Postal Code allows
no actions to be taken on it...

So the action was specified sufficiently, but it nonetheless did not
take place.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Fluke:Risotto
Current Book--David Foster Wallace:Infinite Jest
As Zeus said to Narcissus, "Watch yourself."

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 23:26:11 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2552

> SOME ACTIONS:

> I hereby create a trinket, The Scarlet 'G', valued at A$5.  It is a six-inch
> tall capital 'G', Roman typeface, cut from scarlet felt.  It it designed to
> be sewn onto the left breast of a shirt, cloak, jacket, or other garment for
> the upper body.  In small letters on the back is written "Love, H. P."

> I give The Scarlet 'G' to The Gingham Wearer.

There was no player named The Gingham Wearer at this point, but I
shall consider this action to be unambiguously specified because the
Rules prohibit there from ever being any other entity named "The
Gingham Wearer", or anything whose primitive form is "ginghamwearer".

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Godley & Creme:Goodbye Blue Sky
Current Book--David Foster Wallace:Infinite Jest
I do the work of three men: Groucho, Chico, and Harpo.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 03:02:41 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Nomics(Proposal 2545)

On Thu, 1 Jan 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> > > {{ The nomic Agora is transferred to Robert Sevin, and the nomic Pumpkin
> > > Patch Nomic is transferred to Red Barn. All other Internomic member nomics
> > > are initially owned by the Treasury. Any nomics which are not Internomic
> > > member nomics are destroyed. }}
> 
> Okay, _now_ I believe that the CSRR has a duty to avoid naming conflicts
> between the nomic Pumpkin Patch Nomic and the organization Pumpkin Patch
> Nomic...

I don't know about that.  In fact, I don't know if any of the text in the
{{'s had any effect.  The Rules say that the nomics are named entities,
but it does not specify what their names are.  The assumption seems to be
that they have the same names that they are refered to with in Internomic
proceedings, but this is not the case.  From my reading of the rules,
these nomics were created as named entities without names.  Rule 502 says
that if a named entity ever has no name, then it is assigned the name of
"Nameless Thing #X" with X being the lowest positive integer resulting in
a legal name, etc.  So I'm pretty sure that all of the nomics have names
like "nameless thing #3" and so on.  Thus the transferences specified
above failed because the entities in question don't exist.  This also
presents problems because if a current memeber of Internomic ever quits,
it could be difficult to determine which nameless nomic thing is
destroyed.  I think I may take a stab at patching this up, but my services
as CSRR are not officially called for.

> 
> I would like the Ambassador to let me know which nomics _are_ members
> of Internomic, so I can figure out which ones are in the Treasury.  Or
> were until the Beldin's Pants effects happened at noon.  (I presume
> that, similarly to the way trinkets were handled earlier, the Parka
> recipients shall end up getting existing nomics from the Treasury or
> other players...)
> 
> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
> Current Album--Fluke:Risotto

                              - CSRR Vynd

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Jan 1998 08:35:16 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Nomics(Proposal 2545)

> Okay, _now_ I believe that the CSRR has a duty to avoid naming conflicts
> between the nomic Pumpkin Patch Nomic and the organization Pumpkin Patch
> Nomic...

I agree with Vynd that the nomics are named 'Nameless thing #X'.

> I would like the Ambassador to let me know which nomics _are_ members
> of Internomic, so I can figure out which ones are in the Treasury.

You can check http://www.itw.com/~malenkai/zhome.htm -- note that
Church of Odo on the Wormhole was not a member at the time the
proposal was accepted (I don't think), and there is a current IN SFJ
deciding whether they are a member now.  Thus we are thread split by
an internomic thread split.

> Or were until the Beldin's Pants effects happened at noon.  (I presume
> that, similarly to the way trinkets were handled earlier, the Parka
> recipients shall end up getting existing nomics from the Treasury or
> other players...)

Well, I do not believe the beldin's pants rule does anything, as no one
has any Parkas.  Previously, people had received *the Parka*, which
was actually a trinket, but no one has received *any Parkas*, AFAIK.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 08:45:55 -0500
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Nomics(Proposal 2545)

> 
> > > {{ The nomic Agora is transferred to Robert Sevin, and the nomic
Pumpkin
> > > Patch Nomic is transferred to Red Barn. All other Internomic member
nomics
> > > are initially owned by the Treasury. Any nomics which are not
Internomic
> > > member nomics are destroyed. }}
> 
> Okay, _now_ I believe that the CSRR has a duty to avoid naming conflicts
> between the nomic Pumpkin Patch Nomic and the organization Pumpkin Patch
> Nomic...
> 
> I would like the Ambassador to let me know which nomics _are_ members
> of Internomic, so I can figure out which ones are in the Treasury.  Or
> were until the Beldin's Pants effects happened at noon.  (I presume
> that, similarly to the way trinkets were handled earlier, the Parka
> recipients shall end up getting existing nomics from the Treasury or
> other players...)
> 

The current list of voting members are:

Ackanomic, liaison: Balsamic Dragon
Agora, liaison: Kolja A.
Bluesmobile Nomic, liaison: Kerry Kaszak
InterNomic, liaison: InterNomic
Micronomic II (MacroNomic), liaison: Henry Townser
New Rishonomic, liaison: The Voting Gnome
Pumpkin Patch Nomic, liaison: Phil Ackley
Thring, liaison: Anarchy

And Non-Voting Members: 

New Rishonnomic, liaison: Dan Knapp
FDC Nomic, liaison: Ed Murphy
The Church of Odo on the Wormhole, liaison: Uri Bruck 

Some of these will not be applicable to the rule above, because of the time
that they were added, or whatever.  However, here's an interesting
question:  If all other nomics are destroyed, does that mean that the
Church of Odo is destroyed?  It claims to be a nomic and was existant at
the time of this rule and also was not a member of Internomic...

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 08:50:14 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: Nomics(Proposal 2545)

Balsamic Dragon wrote:

>Some of these will not be applicable to the rule above, because of the time
>that they were added, or whatever.  However, here's an interesting
>question:  If all other nomics are destroyed, does that mean that the
>Church of Odo is destroyed?  It claims to be a nomic and was existant at
>the time of this rule and also was not a member of Internomic...

If the Ackanomic rules, as interpreted according to game custom, so
recognize the Church of Odo on the Wormhole then yes, it was destroyed.
Otherwise, not.  It _is_ an interesting question.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 17:54:23 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Nomics(Proposal 2545)

> > Or were until the Beldin's Pants effects happened at noon.  (I presume
> > that, similarly to the way trinkets were handled earlier, the Parka
> > recipients shall end up getting existing nomics from the Treasury or
> > other players...)

> Well, I do not believe the beldin's pants rule does anything, as no one
> has any Parkas.  Previously, people had received *the Parka*, which
> was actually a trinket, but no one has received *any Parkas*, AFAIK.

While this would make harfing more difficult for me, I would tend to
think that it would mean any recipients of "the Parka", "Malenkai's
Parka", "Beldin's Parka", etc.  But I'll have to look over the reasoning
for the "military lasers" CFJ first.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Blondie:Eat To The Beat
Current Book--David Foster Wallace:Infinite Jest
Ask anyone who can recall, it's horrible to be born.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 17:57:10 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2557

> Proposal 2557
> Harfer Foo
> Malenkai (Randy Hall)

> VII. Harfer Fee

> The standard Harfer Fee is A$25. Whenever the rules direct a Harfer Fee to
> be paid, it is paid to the Treasury.
> "

Actually, I'd prefer it if it were paid to the Officer...:-)  Or at least
a percentage, like a Vending Machine.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Blondie:Eat To The Beat
Current Book--David Foster Wallace:Infinite Jest
Everybody talks about the weather, but no one DOES anything about it!

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V2 #213
***********************************