Subject: acka-research-digest V2 #175
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest     Monday, November 17 1997     Volume 02 : Number 175

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 08:34:29 -0500
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2357

> This is very disappointing, especially considering
> those who voted no, in some cases, are those who
> repeatedly fail to post Phoebe's wisdom when selected,
> and others who voted no should understand the value of
> removing meaningless work from the game.  Oh well.
> 
I've never had the honor of being chosen to find Phoebe, and yes, I do
understand the value of removing meaningless work from the game.  However,
I think that you might be interested to know the following:

I joined this game some time after I became aware of its existence. 
Actually, When I first found out about Ackanomic, it was through a friend
of mine named Jack.  One of the first things he told me about was the Steel
Flea, and I thought it was really cool.  We set up our own nomic game which
lasted a little while until Jack moved to California.  (sigh).  

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is things like the Phoebe which
make this game different from most nomics.  They add color, humor, and
basically make our game what it is.  I know that too much of a good thing
is bad, but if you have to get rid of something, pick something besides
Phoebe.  We like her.

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 08:16:03 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2357

> I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is things like the Phoebe which
> make this game different from most nomics.  They add color, humor, and
> basically make our game what it is.  I know that too much of a good thing
> is bad, but if you have to get rid of something, pick something besides
> Phoebe.  We like her.
> 
> Balsamic Dragon

Please don't get rid of our Viruses game either, even though the referee
is quite delinquent now. (Hint, hint, and memories of snowgod :-)

When we last played, the board was at the state shown in my portrait in
the Gallery, and we had started another round, and that round's deadline
had passed before Balsamic Dragon went on vacation, so we need the results
grid for round 15 before we go on.  The correct round 14 grid is also on
the web page for this game, on the main Acka web page.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 11:06:24 -0500
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2357

> Please don't get rid of our Viruses game either, even though the referee
> is quite delinquent now. (Hint, hint, and memories of snowgod :-)
> 
> When we last played, the board was at the state shown in my portrait in
> the Gallery, and we had started another round, and that round's deadline
> had passed before Balsamic Dragon went on vacation, so we need the
results
> grid for round 15 before we go on.  The correct round 14 grid is also on
> the web page for this game, on the main Acka web page.
> 

Alright, point taken.  I have been sadly negligent in my refereeing duties.

I will put up the grid for round 15 sometime today, if I can.

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 17:54:36 +0000
From: "Bascule" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2357

> I've never had the honor of being chosen to find Phoebe, and yes, I do
> understand the value of removing meaningless work from the game.  However,
> I think that you might be interested to know the following:
> 
> I joined this game some time after I became aware of its existence. 
> Actually, When I first found out about Ackanomic, it was through a friend
> of mine named Jack.  One of the first things he told me about was the Steel
> Flea, and I thought it was really cool.  We set up our own nomic game which
> lasted a little while until Jack moved to California.  (sigh).  
> 
> I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is things like the Phoebe which
> make this game different from most nomics.  They add color, humor, and
> basically make our game what it is.  I know that too much of a good thing
> is bad, but if you have to get rid of something, pick something besides
> Phoebe.  We like her.
> 
> Balsamic Dragon

Hee! Isn't that lovely, I've been touched that so many people still
care for Phoebe. When I wrote the rule originally, I wondered if the
timescales were too short and would create too much work; I'm glad
that breadbox's compromise proposal passed. This way Phoebe can go
on vacation for a bit and return if you ever feel the need for more
excellent advice. Top notch.

Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 18:04:29 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2357

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Bascule wrote:

> Hee! Isn't that lovely, I've been touched that so many people still
> care for Phoebe. When I wrote the rule originally, I wondered if the
> timescales were too short and would create too much work; I'm glad
> that breadbox's compromise proposal passed. This way Phoebe can go
> on vacation for a bit and return if you ever feel the need for more
> excellent advice. Top notch.
> 
To avoid the problem of lack of Phoebe postings after the vacation is
over, perhaps we could create a Phoebe Ineligibility List?

An IL seems to work in one situation where people are randomly volunteered
for some work, perhaps it would work here too.

Yours,
Slakko

- --
Duncan C. Richer -- aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother -- Now Really Lost!
Queens' College  -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory --  Cambridge University
"... and entirely motivated by hormones.  Works for me!"   --  Freakazoid!
http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/Nomic/27/Index.html <-- Imperial Nomic Game 27

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V2 #175
***********************************