Subject: acka-research-digest V2 #147
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest    Monday, September 15 1997    Volume 02 : Number 147

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 08:39:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2305

>Proposal 2305

  Vvvooottteee yyyeeesss...  Nnnooottt fffuuunnnyyy...

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 08:41:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2294 rejected

>> E must specify the entity or entities to be exported, and the name of the
>> nomic it is to be transferred to. E should also specify the name of the
>> player/entity  within that nomic it is to be transferred to [some nomic
>> may not be able to accept transfers without the name of the recipient] and

  I wish to export my house to Rishonomic, oh Synod.
#transfer A$50 Red Barn, Synod

____________________________________________________________________________
|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  [email-masked] * http://www.bergen.org/~dankna|
|---------------|  Blip  |-------------------------------------------------|
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  |     This notice copyright (C)1997 Dan Knapp     |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 08:39:21 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Proposal 2304

> Proposal 2304
> Re-numbering
> Balsamic Dragon (Vivan Norwood)
> 
> The number of the Rule titled (within the quotes) "The Evil Overlords
> of Ackanomic (retired) Vulcan" (currently numbered 1/0) is immediately
> changed to be number 555/0.  Once this is accomplished, this rule
> self-deletes.
> 
Nice try.  I would say that this cannot work.  Rule 1 forbids that it
be "changed in any way."  Certainly a change of its number qualifies.
There may be other conflicts as well.  Of course, if this proposal is
accepted it will then hang in the rules, unable to delete itself
because it cannot accomplish its renumbering task.  It would then
"execute" if ever it became possible for it to do so, but if that
ever happens then the purpose for which this proposal is intended will
have already been served.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 09:51:45 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2304

> > 
> Nice try.  I would say that this cannot work.  Rule 1 forbids that it
> be "changed in any way."  Certainly a change of its number qualifies.
> There may be other conflicts as well.  Of course, if this proposal is
> accepted it will then hang in the rules, unable to delete itself
> because it cannot accomplish its renumbering task.  It would then
> "execute" if ever it became possible for it to do so, but if that
> ever happens then the purpose for which this proposal is intended will
> have already been served.
> 
Of course Rule 1 cannot be changed.  I'm not trying to change Rule 1.  If
you look in the section rule numbers, you will see that rule numbers are
separate entities of their own.  Nowhere in Rule 1 does it forbid the
changing of rule numbers.  If, of course, you are saying that Rule 1 can be
extended to prevent any changes to the rules or the game state that might
eventually affect Rule 1 in the future, I think we have a paradox win on
our hands ;).  However, it is pretty clear to me that Rule 1 does not
protect the rule number which is associated with it.  Other rules have
stated that if their rule number should ever change that it should
immediately be changed back.  See Rule 42.  Vulcan simply failed to put
this kind of provision into their rule.

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 16:50:56 -0500 (CDT)
From: Robert Shimmin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2307

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Brian Raiter wrote:

> Proposal 2307
> Buckin' for Promotion
> Balsamic Dragon (Vivan Norwood)
> 
> Create Rule 555 entitled
> Buckin' for Promotion

This proposal cannot possibly affect the rules, aside from its own addition.

If Proposal 2306 fails, it simply adds a Rule with redundant text to that of 
Rule 303.  If Proposal 2306 passes, Rule 555 cannot have its Rule number 
changed to 1, because (1) Rule 1 will still exist, and cannot be 
overwritten.  (2) The self-deleting text in Rule 0 will have fired before 
the creation of Rule 555.  In this case, Rule 555 will simply set up a 
conflicting validity guideline with the one shown in Rule 303, which will 
take precedence, and so neither Rule 0 nor Rule -1 will be repealed by 
Rule 555.

GF

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V2 #147
***********************************