Subject: acka-research-digest V2 #137
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest     Saturday, August 30 1997     Volume 02 : Number 137

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 10:43:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: subscribe acka-voting

> subscribe acka-voting

A reminder, folks: send your mailing list requests to [email-masked].
Not the list itself.

breadbox
Postmaster

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 11:39:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2279 accepted

I just noticed a minor error in the results for Proposal 2279 that I
sent out yesterday:

> 13/19 votes: Quorum achieved
> 9/13 YES votes: Proposal accepted

There were 9 YES votes, 4 PRESENT votes and zero NO votes. So, the
second line should have read "9/9 YES votes: Proposal accepted".

I wanted to clarify that in case I confused some of our newer
players. PRESENT votes are not just another way to vote NO. They
are *only* counted when determining quorum.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 17:37:35 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: acka-voting-digest V2 #139

> >Guy Fawkes         ((None Yet))

> I'm pretty sure that (None Yet) is now Munchkin Haven.

I think that rule got repealed; at least, many of the Harfy proposals in
that last deluge from Robert Sevin and Calvin N Hobbes ended up repealed,
and I think this was one of them.

However, I think it'd be more appropriate if Vulcan were to be renamed The
Evil Tyrannical Ruling Elite.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Gordon Lightfoot:Summertime Dream
Current Book--Robert Silverberg:The New Springtime
Who needs drugs? I go broke buying Science Fiction!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 20:42:28 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka-voting-digest V2 #139

> > >Guy Fawkes         ((None Yet))
> 
> > I'm pretty sure that (None Yet) is now Munchkin Haven.
> 
> I think that rule got repealed; at least, many of the Harfy proposals in
> that last deluge from Robert Sevin and Calvin N Hobbes ended up repealed,
> and I think this was one of them.

Yes, but I do not think the repeal caused the name to be changed back.
The repeal allows them to change it back, but I don't remember them
to doing so.

Malenaki
acka has no default destructors :)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 20:46:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka-voting-digest V2 #139

On Sat, 30 Aug 1997, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> > >Guy Fawkes         ((None Yet))
> 
> > I'm pretty sure that (None Yet) is now Munchkin Haven.
> 
> I think that rule got repealed; at least, many of the Harfy proposals in
> that last deluge from Robert Sevin and Calvin N Hobbes ended up repealed,
> and I think this was one of them.

I believe that the rule mandated an immediate change, and I see no reason
to think that after the name was changed, it would suddenly revert when
the rule was repealed.

> 
> However, I think it'd be more appropriate if Vulcan were to be renamed The
> Evil Tyrannical Ruling Elite.
> 
> 

heh, how about we change the name of the rebellion to "Reactionary Old
Guard"?

> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
> Current Album--Gordon Lightfoot:Summertime Dream
> Current Book--Robert Silverberg:The New Springtime
> Who needs drugs? I go broke buying Science Fiction!
> 

                                 - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 18:13:00 -0700
From: Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: This is a Grandiose RFC

Malenkai wrote:

> I realise this has changed a bit from the original idea (prolly for
> the better, I might add), but some things I liked from the original
> idea that seem to be absent are: Truly hidden adjendas.  It would be
> cool if whoeveritisthatitharfingthisthing could add some totally
> hidden adjendas at the setup point.  There was also something I liked
> about the adjenda ideas before, where you try to get another player to
> change the game state in a certain way, and that fulfills your HA task.
> If that could be worked in, it would be cool.
> 

I could not think of a way to have Truly Hidden Agendas without
essentially allowing the THA-harfer to hand anyone e pleases a cycle
win. I can't imagine that you are suggesting that I assume that officers
will necessarily be uncorruptable. As far as your second concern, it
should be possible for you to submit agenda items that work as you
suggest, although it would probably lose some force if the agenda item
is not truly hidden. The main advantages to my system (if it works) are
that all players can participate in creating agendas, and that there is
a mechanism to balance out conditions of differing difficulties. If you
can think of a way to incorporate THA's into this tell me.
(Actually I was just thinking that there should be a mechanism to use
randomly selected cfj's that have been judged false as agenda
conditions, possibly truly hidden. But that will be for another
proposal.)

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 21:32:17 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: acka: This is a Grandiose RFC

> I could not think of a way to have Truly Hidden Agendas without
> essentially allowing the THA-harfer to hand anyone e pleases a cycle
> win. I can't imagine that you are suggesting that I assume that officers
> will necessarily be uncorruptable.

One way I could think of would be to have some truly impartial party--like
a program, say--wherein the Truly Hidden Agendas could be stored.  They
should be stored so that nobody but the owner of the Agenda Item could
retrieve them, but once retrieved they could also be verified.  Some form
of PGP might work for that, though I'm far from an expert on the subject.
Or any form of encryption where a key would be required both from the
THA-harfer and from the Agenda player.

But that's getting a little too reliant on Extra-nomic entities...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The The:Slow Train To Dawn
Current Book--Robert Silverberg:The New Springtime
Once I was the King of Pain; now I eat humble pie.

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V2 #137
***********************************