Subject: Ackanomic Research Digest V2 #69
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Research Digest)
To: acka-research-digest

Ackanomic Research Digest    Tuesday, May 27 1997    Volume 02 : Number 069

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 00:57:12 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka:  P2010 accepted (Literature)

> Text of accepted proposal:
> 
> Proposal 2010
> Literature
> Vynd
> Distributed at 15:51:21 on Sunday, 18 May 1997

Yeah, I know this just passed, and I already want to fiddle with it.

> III.  If a proposal consisting entirely of quotations and citations as
> described in section I passes, and was not a Modest proposal, then that
> proposal is known as a Great Work.  In adition to the point gain described
> in section II, the author of the proposal shall recieve A$200 in
> royalties.  Any player who voted against a Great Work will lose 7 points
> for their bad taste.

The one problem with these proposals is that they usually don't make
good rules.  So I want to add something here that says that when a great
work is accepted, it doesn't become a rule or have its list of effects
executed; instead, it is added to a list of Great Works.  Some officer
should be required to maintain this list -- perhaps the Historian, since
Great Works belong in the library.  Other "Literature" proposals which
quote stuff but don't consist entirely of quotes can make more reasonable
rules, such as that "Foolishness" rule.

I will also want to renumber the rule to some place more appropriate,
except I'm not sure where this rule fits.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 02:11:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  P2010 accepted (Literature)

On Mon, 26 May 1997, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> > Text of accepted proposal:
> > 
> > Proposal 2010
> > Literature
> > Vynd
> > Distributed at 15:51:21 on Sunday, 18 May 1997
> 
> Yeah, I know this just passed, and I already want to fiddle with it.
> 

Good.

> > III.  If a proposal consisting entirely of quotations and citations as
> > described in section I passes, and was not a Modest proposal, then that
> > proposal is known as a Great Work.  In adition to the point gain described
> > in section II, the author of the proposal shall recieve A$200 in
> > royalties.  Any player who voted against a Great Work will lose 7 points
> > for their bad taste.
> 
> The one problem with these proposals is that they usually don't make
> good rules.  So I want to add something here that says that when a great
> work is accepted, it doesn't become a rule or have its list of effects
> executed; instead, it is added to a list of Great Works.  Some officer
> should be required to maintain this list -- perhaps the Historian, since
> Great Works belong in the library.  Other "Literature" proposals which
> quote stuff but don't consist entirely of quotes can make more reasonable
> rules, such as that "Foolishness" rule.

Well, what I really had in mind here was for people to try and construct
rules out of quotations that really would have some sort of effect beyond
esthetics.  You're probably right though, this would be more likely to
encourage people to toss BWG into the rules than anything else, especially
with the penalty for having voted against a Great Work (note, however,
that while 7 points sounds pretty steep, I deliberately made it that high
so that it would counteract the bonus that these players already gained
for voting no on something that passed).  I was afraid that without this
penalty, however, people would vote down even the good attempts at making
a Great Work just to deny the big fat royalty check.  I dunno, the whole
Great Works thing was really secondary, from my standpoint.  Feel free to
tinker with it, although I would like to keep the Works as actual rules
(or ammendments), if at all possible.

> 
> I will also want to renumber the rule to some place more appropriate,
> except I'm not sure where this rule fits.

How about # 1. =)

> 
> /dev/joe
> 

                              - Vynd

[email-masked]

"A man with a brick on his head shall grow no taller."  - Jon Sheppard

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 12:45:13 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Resending Voting Player declaration.

> Some how this message is not read by the acrobot. So Im resending it. 
> Im believe that this makes that a couple of proposes will pass that 
> have rejected. 
	I'm sorry, cars; I was a few hundred miles from the computer.
	snowgod could have fixed this by sending #active carsesrac to
the bot, but he was short on time as well this week.  Working on it.

- -- 
Mohammed
Mercilessly a large percentage of sourfaced televangelists ran over snobbish
politicians with their heads in the clouds.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 09:53:41 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Resending Voting Player declaration. 

>	I'm sorry, cars; I was a few hundred miles from the computer.
>	snowgod could have fixed this by sending #active carsesrac to
>the bot, but he was short on time as well this week.  Working on it.

Sorry about that one.  I'll be honest and admit that I didn't even catch
Carsesrac activation.  Sorry, everyone, if that caused a hassle.  I will
have more time soon.

snownacho

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 12:11:18 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Proposal 2018

> Proposal 2018
> vote for me or I'll break your knee caps
> snowgod
> 
> 
> {{Upon the aceptance of this rule, Mr. Nacho's score shall be increased by
> whatever sum nessacary to make in one less than the magic number.  Mr.
> Nacho will than be magically transformed into a pumpkin.}}

Don't pumpkins automatically have to be exported to Pumpkin Patch?

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Dan Hartman:I Can Dream About You
Current Book--C.S. Friedman:Black Sun Rising
When the fires go out, gray goo won't remember you.  --billbill

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Research Digest V2 #69
***************************************