Subject: Ackanomic Research Digest V2 #28
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Research Digest)
To: acka-research-digest

Ackanomic Research Digest   Wednesday, April 2 1997   Volume 02 : Number 028

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 09:54:32 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Proposal 1896

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Acrobot wrote:

> Proposal 1896
> No Sanctuary
> Mohammed
> 
> 
> This is a Modest Proposal.
> 
> Repeal Rule 1315 (Church Sanctuary).
> 
> [Now that you can take the altar by the horns, Sanctuary is no fun.]
> 

Actually taking the altar by the horns predated Sanctuary.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 12:25:15 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1896

> Actually taking the altar by the horns predated Sanctuary.
	Blah.  In any case, the rule still strikes me as not particularly
fun, and I... might retract this... if I get the replacement written in
time.  I'm writing something sorta fun.

- -- Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 11:31:06 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: On the Campaign Trail

<breadbox steps up to podium and waves to the cheering throng of
hundreds, if not thousands, in the audience. Silence washes over as he
leans into the microphone and begins his speech.>

"Hello, hello, everybody. Thank you very much for that warm
welcome. I'm happy to see so many of you here; I'm happy to see that
people still care about the future."

<Happy shouts of support and encouragement swell up and back again.>

"I've been all over this great land of ours, and I've heard the
question that are on the lips of its citizens. I'd like to take this
opportunity to answer those questions, so that all of you will know
how I stand on the real issues."

<The audience is immediately silent.>

"When I am President of Ackanomia, I promise to you, my constituents,
do absolutely nothing beyond what the rules require of me. I'm in this
for the prestige, and to get another title to go on my entry in the
web page. When you strip away the layers of obfuscation, I'm really a
lazy twerp.

"Oh, I might try to pull a scam taking advantage of being a President
and a Senator at the same time, but I haven't really figured one out
yet. I was thinking I could appoint myself to the Supreme Court, and
lean on the other Senators to get confirmed, but it turns out that the
President and Senators can't be Justices. Pretty crafty, those
rule-writers.

"Anyway, as I was saying, you can count on me to be the most flat-out
useless President this great land of Ackanomia has ever seen...."

<Amid quiet mutterings in the crowd, a person near the front stands
up, arm stretched forward and up.>

"Wait, folks, I see that someone wishes to ask me a question. Sir?"

"Buddy, I don't know where you think you are, but none of us here have
the slightest idea what you're going on about."

<breadbox looks around the stage and sees for the first time the
banner he has been standing in front of, which proclaims: "Chicken
Farmers Of America welcomes Dr. Rodney Baer". breadbox turns back to
the crowd, whose mutterings have become a rumble of annoyance.>

"I, uh, seem to have taken a wrong turn somewhere. Um. Strange.

"Um, well ... Uh.

"Hey, did you folks know that if I was still scholar the Machine would
have gone *ping* today for the tenth time?"

<Rude names and rotten eggs issue from the audience.>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 18:40:19 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  P1859 accepted (Trials By Jury)

> Proposal 1859
> Trials By Jury

> Yes:  9    No:  4     Present:  1   ...Proposal accepted.

> 1. amend R211's first line to say:
> "Any player (who is neither Praetor, Justice nor Acting-Justice) who has a
> question or complaint about any matter concerning the laws and their
> interpretation may email their statement to the Clerk of the Court, who
> will then distribute it publically."

I opposed this proposal for several reasons, and am particularily
suprised that there was such broad-based support for the above rule
change, in particular.  Do we really want to prevent the Praetor and
the Supreme Court from *sumitting* CFJs, just in case we get an
Undecided vote, of which there have been 2 or 3 in the history of acka?

CFJs are part of the fun of the game, and to restrict certain players
from submitting them seems heavy-handed, especially in light of the
potential benefits.  Also, the above rule change took out my change that
permitted rule of fact CFJs.  Was there a reason for that?

Would anyone object if I change this back?
RFC ??

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 03:34:38 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: P1859 accepted (Trials By Jury) 

In a message dated 97-04-02 01:57:01 EST, you write:

> Would anyone object if I change this back?
>  RFC ??
>  
Not I... I intended to vote against this... I think I must have switched some
numbers around when I sent my votes in to the bot.

Nraf, who is suffering from minor lysdexia.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Research Digest V2 #28
***************************************