Subject: Ackanomic Research Digest V2 #21
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Research Digest)
To: acka-research-digest

Ackanomic Research Digest    Monday, March 24 1997    Volume 02 : Number 021

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 10:47:46 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 1852

> I don't like this.  I think the following sentence needs to be removed.
> 
> "If the Organization's Founder is a member of it, he or she may grant the
> request without waiting for the approval of the rest of the Organization".
	Your concerns are legitimate, and I didn't forsee the problem.  
But, I dont think it'll be quite as bad as you think, because of a few 
details about Organizations, especially Churches.

> Suppose for example that someone overthrew the
> godfather.  Narf would still be the founder of the narfalones, though he
> would no longer be in charge.  Should he have the right to admit new
> players without the godfathers consent?
	I don't think Narf is the Founder of the Narfalones in that 
sense.  He wrote the rule, and he's the first Godfather, but Organized 
Crime was in fact founded a Spartan fish merchant long, long ago....
	Besides, any player at all can join Organized Crime without 
getting anyone's consent, with the added advantage of doing it privately, 
rather than publicly!

> Also, what about political parties?  What about the church?  If we have a
> system in place to grant memberships, why should I be able to circumvent
> that just becasue I am the founder.  If the church wanted me to have that
> power, they are able to give it to me.
	This is meant specifically for political parties, and other 
player-sanctioned Orgs.  Currently a Political Party can not add new 
members.  Compared with that especially, I see no problem with the 
Founder being able to accept new members as e sees fit.
	Churches can take care of themselves, because they (unlike the other 
orgs) have binding internal rules.  If a Church specifies that its 
Founder *cannot* accept new leity, then the Founder loses that power 
completely.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Research Digest V2 #21
***************************************