Subject: acka-games Digest V4 #81
From: [email-masked]
To: acka-games digest users <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 00:00:07 -0400 (EDT)

acka-games Digest	Thursday, July 29 1999	Volume: 04  Issue: 081

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: OMO Treasure. 
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 14:19:08 -0400 (EDT)

I am burying 5 OC Lay Off and 1 OC Skeleton Key as Treasure.

The map is inspired by /dev/joe's Odd Man Out game.  I am going to give
you the list of characteristics.  Your job is the generate the list of
words.  There are eight words.  There MAY be more than one answer for 1
[or more?] of the words.  As long as your list matches all the
characteristics, it need not match MY original list exactly.

word1:  All of the others have capitals which start with consonants.
word2:  All of the others contain an A. 
word3:  All of the others start with a vowel. 
word4:  All of the others' 2 letter abbreviations are words. 
word5:  All of the others contain letters from the second half of the
         alphabet. 
word6:  All of the others have at least 1 letter repeat in them. 
word7:  All of the others end in a vowel. 
word8:  All of the others are States.

For some clarification:  
In word4: 'word' is defined as 'being in the ENABLE word list'
In word8: 'State' is defined as being a State in the USA.

I have already submited an "answer key" to /dev/joe, which I will use as
an OMO entry after this treasure is found.  I have also asked /dev/joe not
to participate if he has alreayd looked at my submission.

Good luck!
IB

------------------------------

From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: OMO Treasure. 
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 14:51:17 -0400 (EDT)

Indiana (IN, Indianapolis):  All of the others have capitals which start
with consonants.
Ohio (OH, Springfield):  All of the others contain an A. 
Hawaii (HI, Honolulu):  All of the others start with a vowel. 
Arizona (AZ, Phoenix):  All of the others' 2 letter abbreviations are words. 
Alabama (AL, Montgomery):  All of the others contain letters from the
second half of the alphabet. 
Idaho:  (ID, Boise):  All of the others have at least 1 letter repeat in
them. 
Arkansas (AR, Little Rock):  All of the others end in a vowel. 
Argentina (ar, Buenos Aires):  All of the others are States.

Oklahoma is an alternate for Indiana.
I suspect that there are multiple alternates for Hawaii.
Alaska is an alternate for Arizona. 
There are also probably multiple alternates for Argentina (AR).  I
considered the United States of America, but decided that it might be
considered to be 'States'
-- Emperor Ai! Pedrito!
 DeeJay * Dungeon Master * Harfmeister * Herald * Rule-Harfer * Wrangler
 Crazy French-Scotsman * Really Weird * Weird

------------------------------

From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: OMO Treasure. 
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 14:59:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:

> I suspect that there are multiple alternates for Hawaii.

I suspect you're wrong.  I've lived here five years and have found no
suitable alternative.

-Hubert's 2 cents

If you laid all the smokers end to end around the world, two-thirds of 
them would drown. 

------------------------------

From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: WUA continues
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 15:06:18 -0400 (EDT)

OK, Bluffers!  It's time to pick a link word!

[ waits patiently for Fictionary players to settle down ]

The link, which was kindly pointed out to me twice, should be from "skirt"
to "fickle."  If you have not sent me your link word yet, you have three
days from now to do so, and do so more originally (and less bitterly) than
those who have already sent me theirs.

Scores are: (H*bert reaches for eir cut-and-paster)
/dev/joe: 2
Der Hund: 2
EA!P!: 4
K 2: 4
Studge: 2

-Hubert

If you laid all the smokers end to end around the world, two-thirds of 
them would drown. 

------------------------------

From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: OMO Treasure. 
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 15:08:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:

> 
> 
> Indiana (IN, Indianapolis):  All of the others have capitals which start
> with consonants.
> Ohio (OH, Springfield):  All of the others contain an A. 

Actually, the capital is Columbus.. but no points lost.)

> Hawaii (HI, Honolulu):  All of the others start with a vowel. 
> Arizona (AZ, Phoenix):  All of the others' 2 letter abbreviations are words. 
> Alabama (AL, Montgomery):  All of the others contain letters from the
> second half of the alphabet. 
> Idaho:  (ID, Boise):  All of the others have at least 1 letter repeat in
> them. 
> Arkansas (AR, Little Rock):  All of the others end in a vowel. 
> Argentina (ar, Buenos Aires):  All of the others are States.
> 
> 

EAP has found the treasure.  The map was as described in my original
message.

> Oklahoma is an alternate for Indiana.

No.. OK is not in the ENABLE list.

> I suspect that there are multiple alternates for Hawaii.

Actually, I think there is only one other which works.  (And which I
included in my list to /dev/joe:  Deleware)

> Alaska is an alternate for Arizona. 

Damn.. I though I had eliminated that alternative.. But I realize now I
changed one of the characteristics to repremit Alaske.

> There are also probably multiple alternates for Argentina (AR).  I
> considered the United States of America, but decided that it might be
> considered to be 'States'

Plus, I was hoping for single words.  My list has Austria (.at) in this
place.

Congrats!
IB

------------------------------

From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Fictionary (Alfvaen)
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 19:54:06 -0400 (EDT)

Folks, I'm short on time and my web browser isn't cooperating, so forgive
me if I make any mistakes in the results...

The correct definition was 3. An herb other than grass.  Dragon Mage
submited the definition of "herbs" which I considered to be similar
enough. No one else submitted a correct definition, so Dragon Mage gets 4
points. 

K 2 and Alfvaen both voted for the correct definition, they get 2
points each. K 2 did in fact submit the default definition, however,
lowering his gain for this round to 1.

/dev/joe and Emperor Ai! Perdito! both voted for definition 2., submitted
by Studge. Studge gets two points for this, but because Studge sheeped by
default during the voting stage, his total for the round is 1.

/dev/joe was the other player who submitted the default definition, so his
score for this round is -1.

No one voted for definitions 1 (E!AP) 4 (Alfvaen) or 5 (K 2 and /dev/joe).

So to round things out, E!AP and I neither gained nor lost anything in
this round.

CURRENT POINTS:

Vynd: 7
Alfvaen: 14
K2: 13
/dev/joe: 5
Dragon Mage: 18
Studge: 2
Emperor Ai! Pedrito!: 10

Take it away, Brainiac Alfvaen! Far away. . .

Vynd

------------------------------

From: Mueller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary!!
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 19:56:49 -0400 (EDT)

At 11:08 PM 7/25/99 -0400, you wrote:
>
>One bluffer submitted a definition that is substantially similar to a
>correct one. Two bluffers submitted substantially similar definitions
>that were incorrect, as per the rules only one of them (randomly selected)
>is presented here.
>
>
>1. To remove or replace.
>
>2. The rounded knob on a sword's hilt; especially an engraved knob.
>
>3. An herb other than grass.

If its not too late I vote for this one.

Studge

------------------------------

End of acka-games Digest V4 #81
*******************************