Subject: acka-games Digest V4 #59
From: [email-masked]
To: acka-games digest users <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 00:00:06 -400 (EDT)

acka-games Digest	Monday, July 05 1999	Volume: 04  Issue: 059

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Mueller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Mediocratic Processes
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 00:34:14 -0400 (EDT)

Numbers Picked:
Alfvaen.......1
Trent.........5    removed
K 2...........5    removed
/dev/joe......9             the winner
Dragon Mage...10

/dev/joe gets a point.

Final Scores (in order):
Dragon Mage...0
Alfvaen.......1
K 2...........2
/dev/joe......3
Trent.........4

K 2 is the "winner" of mediocrity.

Studge

------------------------------

From: Mueller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Mediocrity Data For The Future
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 01:19:34 -0400 (EDT)

A history of the Medio game that just ended:

=====================================================================
STATS

Each round is a triple column X#S, where X is the number of the round, # is
the column for the players' pick, and S is the column for players' score to
that point.

*'s represent the winner of each round.

ROUND.......1#S 2#S 3#S 4#S 5#S 6#S 7#S 8#S 9#S 0#S
Alfvaen.....*11 101  21  91  31  81  41 101  71  11
/dev/joe.... 40 *51  81  11 101  81 *22  72  12 *93
Dragon Mage. 30  20  50  40  60  30  40  30  60 100
K 2......... 40  40  30 *71  61 *52  62  32  62  52   final winner
Trent....... 40  40 *41  41 *42  42  42 *43 *44  54

=====================================================================
ANALYSIS

Until round 8, Alfvaen bounced from bottom to top heading towards the
middle of the number range.

Trent stayed at 4 until the last round.

No other players had clear patterns.

Alfvaen and /dev/joe were the only players to use 10 as a pick indicating
that they really wern't going for a win those rounds (unless it occured
that all other players matched each others picks somehow).

K 2 and Dragon Mage both were in the right range for attempting a win every
round, though later Dragon Mage pulled some 4's in a probable attempt to
match Trent and put emself out of the running for a round win.

Trent seemed to be oblivious and without round to round strategy, a
conclusion I think is safe considering that he only informed me twice of
his picks, the last round and the first where he said "4 every round until
further notice".

The winner was K 2 who I believe was going for a round win EVERY time,
instead of vacillating between "going for a point" and "not" as every other
player seemed to be doing more or less.

Yet if this was his strategy I'd think that he would be most likely to have
the highest score, unstead of the most middle score.

=====================================================================
CONCLUSION

Some players have patterns others don't, you won't be able to tell who
until they're finished with openers and are moving into end game strategies
that deviate from the pattern.

Mediocrity is aimless: don't bother worrying about strategy, it won't get
you anywhere.

Studge, referee of this game

------------------------------

From: "Gabe (Ai! Pedrito!) Drummond-Cole" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Mediocrity
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 13:32:33 -0400 (EDT)

I call for a game of mediocrity.  It should once again have 5 players.  I
suggest that K 2, as champion, not play unless we can't get enough players.
-- Emperor Ai! Pedrito!
DeeJay * Wrangler * Emperor

------------------------------

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Mediocrity
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 14:37:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Gabe (Ai! Pedrito!) Drummond-Cole wrote:
> I call for a game of mediocrity.  It should once again have 5 players.  I
> suggest that K 2, as champion, not play unless we can't get enough players.
> -- Emperor Ai! Pedrito!
> DeeJay * Wrangler * Emperor

I will play.

--Dragon Mage

-- 
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 19:40:54 -0400 (EDT)

I vote for f

K 2

Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> > The following definitions were submitted.
>
> > f. one of the terminal tines above the royal antler of a large deer
> >    (as a stag) usually grown by four years of age
>
> I would like to go for this one.  If it's not the real one then it's
> really quite well written.  :-)
>
> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/ )
> Song In My Head--Shania Twain:That Don't Impress Me Much
> Current Book--Steven Brust & Emma Bull:Freedom & Necessity
> Questions of a zealous nature have become by degrees petty waxen jokes.

------------------------------

End of acka-games Digest V4 #59
*******************************