Subject: acka-games-digest V3 #223
From: [email-masked] (acka-games-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-games-digest      Monday, September 21 1998      Volume 03 : Number 223

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 12:24:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Viruses Duel (/dev/joe and Niccolo Flychuck)

Turn 9:
  Niccolo:   P 14, 43
  /dev/joe:  P 16, 45

    0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 
    6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 

 53 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  53
 52 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  52
 51 . . . . . . . . . . D . . . . .  51
 50 . . . . . . . . D D . D D . . .  50
 49 . . . . . D . . . . D . . . . .  49
 48 . . . D D . . . . . . . . . . .  48
 47 . . . D D . . . . . . . . . . .  47
 46 . . . D . . . . . @ . . . . . .  46
 45 . . . . . . D . . . D . . . . .  45
 44 . . @ . . D D . N . @ . . . . .  44
 43 . . . . . @ D . N N . . . . . .  43
 42 . . D D . D . . . . . D . . . .  42
 41 . . . . D . . . . . @ . D D . .  41
 40 . . . . . . . . . . D . D . . .  40
 39 . . . . . . . . . . . D . . . .  39
 38 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  38
 37 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  37

    0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 
    6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 

/dev/joe gains a virus point this round.

D:  /dev/joe         : 26 viruses:  9 gamepoints
N:  Niccolo Flychuck :  3 viruses:  0 gamepoints

Both players have 3 days to send in their next move.

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:24:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Jukkasjarvi

When I wrote the Jukkasjarvi treasure, I stated it was a prototype,
and I guess I was more interested in the fragment gathering/sharing
process than the actual clues, and in designing a new subgame format.

Is acka as a whole interested in this sort of system, or if I do 
another one, will the usual suspects be the only ones interested
in participating.  I wouldn't want to put alot of effort into a
competitive treasure hunt knowing the only people interested would
be cooperating.  While that is not a bad thing, it just wouldn't be all
that fun to design, and I do not have much RL time.  If people are more
interested in the clue aspect rather than the competitive aspect, its 
nice to know that up front.

I guess a bigger question is what sorts of treasure games are alot of
people interested in, so something could be designed to include just
about everyone? (for example, I know cryptology turns alot of people
off, and I will prolly de-emphasize that in the future)

Any comments appreciated.

saaremaa

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:31:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Jukkasjarvi

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Randy Hall wrote:

> When I wrote the Jukkasjarvi treasure, I stated it was a prototype,
> and I guess I was more interested in the fragment gathering/sharing
> process than the actual clues, and in designing a new subgame format.
> 
> Is acka as a whole interested in this sort of system, or if I do 
> another one, will the usual suspects be the only ones interested
> in participating.  I wouldn't want to put alot of effort into a
> competitive treasure hunt knowing the only people interested would
> be cooperating.  While that is not a bad thing, it just wouldn't be all
> that fun to design, and I do not have much RL time.  If people are more
> interested in the clue aspect rather than the competitive aspect, its 
> nice to know that up front.

If I had the time, I might participate.  I guess I never got interested in
Jukkasjarvi because I was too concerned with other aspects of the game,
and assumed I would never catch up the knowledge that those who were
around when the trinkets were doled out would have obtained.

> I guess a bigger question is what sorts of treasure games are alot of
> people interested in, so something could be designed to include just
> about everyone? (for example, I know cryptology turns alot of people
> off, and I will prolly de-emphasize that in the future)

Cryptography where partial or complete information on how to solve the key
can be obtained from other more puzzle-like clues is, IMHO, the way to go,
provided that the cryptography does not need to be too convoluted.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:48:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Jukkasjarvi

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Randy Hall wrote:
>When I wrote the Jukkasjarvi treasure, I stated it was a prototype,
>and I guess I was more interested in the fragment gathering/sharing
>process than the actual clues, and in designing a new subgame format.
>
>Is acka as a whole interested in this sort of system, or if I do 
>another one, will the usual suspects be the only ones interested
>in participating.  I wouldn't want to put alot of effort into a
>competitive treasure hunt knowing the only people interested would
>be cooperating.  While that is not a bad thing, it just wouldn't be all
>that fun to design, and I do not have much RL time.  If people are more
>interested in the clue aspect rather than the competitive aspect, its 
>nice to know that up front.

My personal interest on treasures is to work on them :) For me personally,
I don't care if I work on them alone or with someone else.  I've noticed
that it seems to be more fun (subjectively) for me to work on them with
others just because I don't have boatloads of spare time (regardlessof how
many AckaOffices I hold :)

>I guess a bigger question is what sorts of treasure games are alot of
>people interested in, so something could be designed to include just
>about everyone? (for example, I know cryptology turns alot of people
>off, and I will prolly de-emphasize that in the future)

I like logic and cryptology puzzles, but also had fun with idiotboy's
find the color of the car treasure as well.  I don't have fun with puzzles
that seem to yield no progress at all, so puzzles with sub-clues which
help you towards the main map are (in some ways) more fun to me.  Or
puzzles where it's easy to find a clue if you get stumped.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 19:28:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Jukkasjarvi

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Randy Hall wrote:

> I guess a bigger question is what sorts of treasure games are alot of
> people interested in, so something could be designed to include just
> about everyone? (for example, I know cryptology turns alot of people
> off, and I will prolly de-emphasize that in the future)
> 

I liek the treasure unts which don't -require- cooperation.  With the
fragments so scattered last time, it pretty mch required that I invest
more effort in finding out what the pieces were than in actually solving
the riddle.

Of course, usually about 2 or 3 hours after I begin serious work on a
puzzle, /dev/joe posts the winning sol'n.

IB

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 23:12:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Jukkasjarvi

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Randy Hall wrote:

> When I wrote the Jukkasjarvi treasure, I stated it was a prototype,
> and I guess I was more interested in the fragment gathering/sharing
> process than the actual clues, and in designing a new subgame format.
> 
> Is acka as a whole interested in this sort of system, or if I do 
> another one, will the usual suspects be the only ones interested
> in participating.  I wouldn't want to put alot of effort into a
> competitive treasure hunt knowing the only people interested would
> be cooperating.  While that is not a bad thing, it just wouldn't be all
> that fun to design, and I do not have much RL time.  If people are more
> interested in the clue aspect rather than the competitive aspect, its 
> nice to know that up front.

Well, if I thought that I *could* compete, I might give it a whirl.  But I
have yet to see a puzzle like this that I could solve, that dev/joe
couldn't solve in half the time.  And I can't honestly say I've seen many
of this sort of thing that I could solve.

> 
> I guess a bigger question is what sorts of treasure games are alot of
> people interested in, so something could be designed to include just
> about everyone? (for example, I know cryptology turns alot of people
> off, and I will prolly de-emphasize that in the future)
> 

I have a sneaking suspicion that it wouldn't make much difference.  The
players who are intersted in puzzle-solving are probably, for the most
part, the same players who can handle the cryptology based treasures.  The
players who aren't interested in puzzle-solving probably wouldn't care one
way or another, unless perhaps you could come up with a prize that matches
the illustrious Golden Frog.

Vynd

[email-masked]

> Any comments appreciated.
> 
> saaremaa
> 

------------------------------

End of acka-games-digest V3 #223
********************************