Subject: acka-games-digest V3 #218
From: [email-masked] (acka-games-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-games-digest    Wednesday, September 16 1998    Volume 03 : Number 218

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 05:44:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (I am the Water Boatman)
Subject: Re: acka: triple doubel crash salvo 5

Vynd:

>As an interested observer, let me just say that so many errors is a bit
>disturbing.  Do you two think that this version of Double Crash is perhaps
>too complicated to play properly?

Erm... there have only been two errors, one by me and one by Alfvaen. The fact
that my error made it impossible for Alfvaen to guess at one of my words is, I
think, more significant than the number of errors made so far.

Admittedly, it is a bit of a strain on the old grey matter, and it isn't quite
so straightforward as I imagined it would be, but I think it provides more of a
challenge than regular crash, which as far as I am concerned means it is more
fun. I think trying to guess any more than three words would start to approach
the realms of impossibility though.

Ethelred

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 05:55:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (I am the Water Boatman)
Subject: Re: Acka: 6 letter crash

JT:

>If these crashes are correct, then all it says is that your word doesn't
>appear in the two dictionaries I had available for running this simple
>test against.

Sorry, it looks like you'll have to get a bigger/better dictionary.

Ethelred

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 05:58:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (I am the Water Boatman)
Subject: Re: acka: triple doubel crash salvo 5

>hilum 5,0,0
>sabra 5,0,0
>clame 4,0,0

Ethelred

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 07:47:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (I am the Water Boatman)
Subject: acka: triple double crash, 6th salvo

Alfvaen, my sixth salvo:

blood
cakes
rakes

and if that doesn't work, my seventh salvo will be:

makes
fakes
jakes

and my eighth:

hakes
wakes
bakes

I was going to accuse you of making some mistakes with some of your responses
to my earlier salvos, but then I realised it was me who was in error. Maybe
this game *is* too difficult after all.

Ethelred

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 09:55:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: acka: triple double crash, 6th salvo

> blood 5,0,0
> cakes 4,0,0
> rakes 4,0,0

My sixth salvo(to show I'm just as stumped as you):

clave    [although this would mean it crashed twice with mauve, it's the only
          actual word left that I can find]
claze
clawe

> makes 5,0,0

And the rest are irrevelant.  So unless I get it in the sixth salvo
there, you win, because if we tie on the last word you were still first
on the first word.

> I was going to accuse you of making some mistakes with some of your responses
> to my earlier salvos, but then I realised it was me who was in error. Maybe
> this game *is* too difficult after all.

No, I wouldn't say so, if we had a referee to double-check our crashes...

(See the "Song In My Head" below, by the way...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Suzanne Vega:Blood Makes Noise
Current Book--Pamela Dean:Juniper, Gentian & Rosemary
If you think this sentence is confusing, then change one pig.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 10:23:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (I am the Water Boatman)
Subject: Re: acka: triple double crash, 6th salvo

>My sixth salvo(to show I'm just as stumped as you):
>
>clave    [although this would mean it crashed twice with mauve, it's the only
>          actual word left that I can find]
>claze
>clawe

I hope this doesn't mean I've made another mistake, because the word you're
looking for is clade (a group of organisms considered as having evolved from a
common ancestor).

>No, I wouldn't say so, if we had a referee to double-check our crashes...

I didn't think this playtest would bear much fruit, but there are several
things that need tweaking not only in the rules for the new variants but in the
original rules too. I think the game does need a referee, if only to manage the
game -- each player submit their salvos to the ref, then the ref publish them
with crashes once e has received both, with the respnsibility foir checking
that the ref has got it right falling on the players.

One thing we did that I thought worked well was listing the crashes in
descending order, rather than word order. Adds a nice logic puzzle element to
the game.

>(See the "Song In My Head" below, by the way...)

Ah. I see. If only I'd been a Suzanne Vega fan I might have guessed your words
sooner.

Ethelred

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 10:28:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (I am the Water Boatman)
Subject: acka: triple double crash

Alfvaen, I just spotted that mistake. It was in my response to 'words' in your
very first salvo...

looks like you win after all.

Ethelred

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 11:53:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: 6 letter crash

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, I am the Water Boatman wrote:
>>If these crashes are correct, then all it says is that your word doesn't
>>appear in the two dictionaries I had available for running this simple
>>test against.
>
>Sorry, it looks like you'll have to get a bigger/better dictionary.

Fair enough.. I'll send my next salvo and reply to your last (if I haven't
already) shortly.  

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 12:04:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: 6 letter double crash

Salvo 4:
eatage
extine
babies

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 14:01:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: triple doubel crash salvo 5

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, I am the Water Boatman wrote:

> Vynd:
> 
> >As an interested observer, let me just say that so many errors is a bit
> >disturbing.  Do you two think that this version of Double Crash is perhaps
> >too complicated to play properly?
> 
> Erm... there have only been two errors, one by me and one by Alfvaen. The fact
> that my error made it impossible for Alfvaen to guess at one of my words is, I
> think, more significant than the number of errors made so far.
> 
> Admittedly, it is a bit of a strain on the old grey matter, and it isn't quite
> so straightforward as I imagined it would be, but I think it provides more of a
> challenge than regular crash, which as far as I am concerned means it is more
> fun. I think trying to guess any more than three words would start to approach
> the realms of impossibility though.
> 
> Ethelred
> 

Well, what I see as the problem is the fact that, under the rules for
regular Double Crash, any player who makes an error in reporting crashes
will lose the game.  So if errors are very commonplace, the nature of the
game would change dramatically.

Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

End of acka-games-digest V3 #218
********************************