Subject: acka-games-digest V3 #143
From: [email-masked] (acka-games-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-games-digest        Monday, June 29 1998        Volume 03 : Number 143

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 01:00:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: YORL Play

"That black cloak doesn't become you, Narf," Elwes said with a sneer.
"Let's see just how good you are with that scythe, shall we?"  He slid
his rapier out of its sheath, holding it negligently in his left hand.

His bravado notwithstanding, he knew he could very well be in trouble.
If Narf was channeling the Reaper, that scythe could be dangerous despite
its deceptive slowness.  And every second they delayed gave Snowgod more
time to prepare further defenses.

It would take all three of them to defeat Narf.

The talisman of banna forming a mystic link between them, they hardly
needed to think before moving into action.  Elwes leapt into the air and
dove over his opponent, his place taken by a crowd of dancing Elves.
Elvis had taken out his guitar and was trying a variety of odd sounds
in an attempt to find the scythe's resonant frequency.

In the midst of the action, Elwes felt a familiar nudge at his mind.
'Hello, Elspeth', he thought.

'Romeo?'

'In the flesh, once again,' he thought, ducking under the scythe and
lashing out with a boot in an attempt to hit something solid in the
folds of Narf's billowing cloak.  An Elf screamed briefly as the edge of
the scythe hit it, and it disappeared.  'We'll be there in no time, my
dear, as soon as we dispose of this refugee from a medieval agricultural
college.'

'You can't!' she thought.  'I don't understand fully how, but Snowgod is
using Narf to absorb your energy for himself.  If you use enough to destroy
him, you'll destroy yourself!'

'Damn,' he thought.  The trio reduced their assault on the Reaper, using
only enough to keep him at bay.  'So what do we do, then?'

'I think you'll have to let him kill you.'

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Beatles
Current Book--Roger Zelazny:Creatures of Light & Darkness
Scrute the inscrutable; eff the ineffable!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 02:25:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: YORL Play

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> 
> "That black cloak doesn't become you, Narf," Elwes said with a sneer.
> "Let's see just how good you are with that scythe, shall we?"  He slid
> his rapier out of its sheath, holding it negligently in his left hand.

A rapier is a type of sword.
Slakko interrupts with: swordfight.

> 
> His bravado notwithstanding, he knew he could very well be in trouble.
> If Narf was channeling the Reaper, that scythe could be dangerous despite
> its deceptive slowness.  And every second they delayed gave Snowgod more
> time to prepare further defenses.
> 
> It would take all three of them to defeat Narf.
> 
> The talisman of banna forming a mystic link between them, they hardly
> needed to think before moving into action.  Elwes leapt into the air and
> dove over his opponent, his place taken by a crowd of dancing Elves.
> Elvis had taken out his guitar and was trying a variety of odd sounds
> in an attempt to find the scythe's resonant frequency.
> 
> In the midst of the action, Elwes felt a familiar nudge at his mind.
> 'Hello, Elspeth', he thought.
> 
> 'Romeo?'
> 
> 'In the flesh, once again,' he thought, ducking under the scythe and
> lashing out with a boot in an attempt to hit something solid in the
> folds of Narf's billowing cloak.  An Elf screamed briefly as the edge of
> the scythe hit it, and it disappeared.  'We'll be there in no time, my
> dear, as soon as we dispose of this refugee from a medieval agricultural
> college.'
> 
> 'You can't!' she thought.  'I don't understand fully how, but Snowgod is
> using Narf to absorb your energy for himself.  If you use enough to destroy
> him, you'll destroy yourself!'
> 
> 'Damn,' he thought.  The trio reduced their assault on the Reaper, using
> only enough to keep him at bay.  'So what do we do, then?'
> 
> 'I think you'll have to let him kill you.'

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - Web-Harfer,RuneMaker,ChessUmpire,Map-Harfer - www.ackanomic.org

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 03:03:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: YORL Play

Slakko wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
> > "That black cloak doesn't become you, Narf," Elwes said with a sneer.
> > "Let's see just how good you are with that scythe, shall we?"  He slid
> > his rapier out of its sheath, holding it negligently in his left hand.
> 
> A rapier is a type of sword.
> Slakko interrupts with: swordfight.

Alfvaen's play is denied, for the following reason: No card was specified,
and no loose ends were tied off.  Alfvaen is dealt two cards.

Slakko's interrupt with swordfight is accepted.  Alfvaen is dealt another
card.

It is Slakko's turn; remember that Alfvaen's play was not accepted so you
should carry on from the last previous play (the one Alfvaen interrupted
with Narf).

Loose Ends: 3 - snowgod, Elvis, reaper
Cards Burned: 46
Cards in Deck: 7
Total in pot: A$220.

Play Order:
Slakko             [7 cards]
rufus              [7 cards]
Attila the Pun     [7 cards]
Karma              [10 cards]
Alfvaen            [3 cards] [5 Ale]
two-star           [8 cards]
Mr Tambourine Man  [3 cards] [2 Ale]
867-5309           [5 cards]

/dev/joe
Barkeep

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 03:26:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: YORL

The shout from Elvis and Elves temporarily surprised the Reaper, but it
appeared to be too late.  The scythe was already mid-swing, its rusty
blade on a sweeping arc aimed directly at Elwes' heart.  They appeared to
be too late, and could do nothing as they watched the scythe's fatal
slice.

Then an odd thing happened.  The scythe appeared to pass through Elwes,
without making so much as a mark.  Elwes just stood there, grinning.  "You
should have known that the scythe would do nothing to me.  You have no
power, that-which-was-Narf.  Surrender and you may avoid punishment."

"Never!" came an inhuman cry from Narf's body.  "For as long as I have my
special weapon, you are always within my grasp."  With this he drew a
great beast of a sword out from the black robes.  Fully five feet long it
was, with sigils flaming up and down its length, in languages long ago
forgotten, and others never understood at all.

Elves gasped.  "A runesword."
Narf, or at least the thing in Narf's body, snickered.  "Not just any
runesword - they are a ducat-a-dozen these days.  This is the mystical
Sword of Ebs.  It can defeat any creature, mortal or not."

Elwes responded by drawing his rapier and adopting an en garde position.
"Well, then, you'd better get on with it.  I'm sure snowgod doesn't have
all day to boss you around."

This only proceeded to get "Narf" completely angry.  With a deafening roar
he charged at Elwes.

Slakko plays: runesword

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - Web-Harfer,RuneMaker,ChessUmpire,Map-Harfer - www.ackanomic.org

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 17:15:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Eleusis Game 1 - Round 1 OVER

On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, JT wrote:

> 867-5309 must now reveal the rule.  After doing so, a 3 day error check occurs.

The Rule I was using was:

If there are not at least two previously correctly played cards, this play
is correct.

Otherwise, a card played is correct iff it ranks higher than the average
of the last two correctly played cards if it is red, or lower than that
average if it is black or wild.

For purposes of the average, a card's value is equal to the number of
cards ranked lower than or equal to it.  For example, a Wild card is
ranked 1, a 2 2, and an Ace 14.  The average of two cards is defined as
half the sum of their values.

Again, I apologize for the toughness of this Rule and readily surrender
the duties of Deus to /dev/joe, who I hope will do a better job.

- - 867-5309

Televangelists: The Pro Wrestlers of religion. 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 18:00:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Eleusis Game 1 - Round 2

867-5309 wrote:
> The Rule I was using was:
> 
> If there are not at least two previously correctly played cards, this play
> is correct.
> 
> Otherwise, a card played is correct iff it ranks higher than the average
> of the last two correctly played cards if it is red, or lower than that
> average if it is black or wild.

I have chosen my rule, so the next round can begin, the referee can deal
cards, or whatever step comes next can start happening.

/dev/joe
Deus

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 18:19:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Eleusis Game 1 - Round 2

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
>I have chosen my rule, so the next round can begin, the referee can deal
>cards, or whatever step comes next can start happening.

/dev/joe, You need to tell me which deck, and the ranking of the cards
(and order of the suits) if they matter.

(from the Eleusis game rule)
>b) Deus announces publicly which of the two decks is being used for that
>round, whether the Wild cards are included in the deck. The ranking
>of the cards [IE, the order of importance of the cards within the suits],
>the value of any cards which are different than their standard face value
>[IE all face cards are 10 or J=11, Q=12, K=13], the ranking and value of
>suits if that is pertinent, and the ranking/value of wild cards if they
>are in use. 

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 18:27:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Eleusis Game 1 - Round 2

> On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> >I have chosen my rule, so the next round can begin, the referee can deal
> >cards, or whatever step comes next can start happening.
> 
> /dev/joe, You need to tell me which deck, and the ranking of the cards
> (and order of the suits) if they matter.
> 
> (from the Eleusis game rule)
> >b) Deus announces publicly which of the two decks is being used for that
> >round, whether the Wild cards are included in the deck. The ranking
> >of the cards [IE, the order of importance of the cards within the suits],
> >the value of any cards which are different than their standard face value
> >[IE all face cards are 10 or J=11, Q=12, K=13], the ranking and value of
> >suits if that is pertinent, and the ranking/value of wild cards if they
> >are in use. 

The legacy deck is being used, the wild cards are not being used, the
ranking of the cards is Ace=1 (low) through jack=11, queen=12, king=13.
None of the other stuff applies.

/dev/joe
Deus

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 18:48:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Eleusis Game 1 - Round 2 - MTM's play

Players and Scores:
    867-5309  : 7 gamepoints (14 cards)
    /dev/joe  : 7 gamepoints ( 0 cards) (Deus)
  * MTM       : 3 gamepoints (14 cards)
    else...if : 0 gamepoints (14 cards)
(* denotes who's turn it is to play -- play will be entered only after Deus
   and prophet respond to the play)
(@ denotes a player eliminated from the round)
[MTM is Mr. Tambourine Man]

Card ranks:

Correct Plays          | Incorrect plays
- -----------------------+------------------------------------------------------
5 H (starter)          |

[*] every 10th card after the starter is marked while there is no prophet

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

End of acka-games-digest V3 #143
********************************