Subject: acka-games-digest V3 #95
From: [email-masked] (acka-games-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-games-digest         Friday, May 8 1998         Volume 03 : Number 095

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 12:59:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ghost Status

> > > schloc
>
> I challenge, not in a word.

H*bert, you now need to announce what word you were thinking of.

TGW, referee.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 13:54:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ghost Status

On Thu, 7 May 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

> On Thu, 7 May 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:
> 
> > > schloc
> > 
> > It is now Vynd's turn.
> > 
> > TGW, referee.
> > 
> 
> I challenge, not in a word.
> 
>                                     - Vynd
> 
 schlock

 At least that's the only word I can think of with schlo in it.

 H*bert.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 15:10:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ghost Status

>  schlock
> 
>  At least that's the only word I can think of with schlo in it.

Now, can someone explain to me how to use the Telnet official dictionary?

TGW, despairing.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 15:16:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ghost Status

> >  schlock
> > 
> >  At least that's the only word I can think of with schlo in it.
> 
> Now, can someone explain to me how to use the Telnet official dictionary?

Forget that, I've just got it to work, and the word is OK. Vynd is
eliminated. I believe it is now Slakko's turn.

TGW, referee.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 15:28:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ghost Status

On Fri, 8 May 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> Now, can someone explain to me how to use the Telnet official dictionary?

on a unixy system: telnet eel.st.usm.edu 7777 
under VMS telnet/port=7777  eel.st.usm.edu 

If you are using another operating system, you have been assmilated ^W
drinking the water^W^W^Wtaking mind-altering substances.  

rufus

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 16:11:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Micah Smukler)
Subject: Acka: YORL (not-duel) play

The falcon flew slowly down the mountainside, stopping periodically to
pounce on the occasional mouse.  Eventually, it reached a cave set
into the side of the mountain, which, despite its narrow opening, somehow
gave such an impression of depth that Sam would not have been surprised
to know that it reached to the other side of the earth itself.

"In this cave," said the Thin Man, "is the third piece of the Talisman of
banna.  Beware, for it is guarded by a great monster, the Quirpele of
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.  It is said that this deadly
beast has one eye and one horn, and exudes miniature dust particles from
every pore of its skin, causing grievious lung damage in all those who
combat it."

"So what should I do?" asked Sam.

"Well..." began the Thin Man.  But before he could get any further, a
great bellowing sound was head from within the cave.  The face of the mountain
around the mouth of the cave burst outward in a shower of rock fragments, and
a giant monster, with only one eye and one horn, came out from the now-enlarged
passageway.

"Run!" shouted Kirby 2600.  "It's the Quirpele of
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis!

Play: one-eyed, one-horned.

AtP

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 16:12:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Micah Smukler)
Subject: Acka: *ping*

Today is Friday, the 8th day of May, and the Machine That Goes *ping*
Has Gone *ping* today. Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone
*ping* 15 times.

AtP

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 16:41:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: *ping*

Oh great scholar, is the truth:

IF AND ONLY IF today has a date whose base seven representation is prime
in base ten, THEN the Machine that goes *ping* shall go *ping*.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 16:52:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: YORL (not-duel) play

> "In this cave," said the Thin Man, "is the third piece of the Talisman of
> banna.  Beware, for it is guarded by a great monster, the Quirpele of
> Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.  It is said that this deadly
> beast has one eye and one horn, and exudes miniature dust particles from
> every pore of its skin, causing grievious lung damage in all those who
> combat it."

And let me guess, it also looks a bit like an Indian ferret (if you don't
understand this/my agenda hat/Alfvaen's silly proposal then check out the
second game of Fictionary).

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 17:07:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: YORL duel play

I followed Brother Methuselah along as he led me through a maze of corridors
to what was to become my room for the next few years. The monastery was so
big I was sure I wouldn't be able to find my way around for quite some time,
but this fear went unfounded. I arrived in my room and Brother Methuselah
said he would give me a bit of time to unpack my few belongings and be back
in half an hour.

I thanked the elderly monk and sat down by the desk provided. For about a
minute I just sat there, thinking, and then I slowly arose and unpacked what
few belongings I had with me: a photo of my girlfriend, Kate; a few clothes
and a knife that my father had given me. Just the items that never leave my
side.

And then I took out the short-wave radio I had been provided with, "Swallow
to nest, swallow to nest. Do you read me?"

As the radio crackled into life a tear came to my eye. I hated what I needed
to do, but if I didn't then the Scarlet Fist would kill Kate.

The Gingham Wearer plays: big.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 18:30:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ghost Status

On Fri, 8 May 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> > >  schlock
> > > 
> > >  At least that's the only word I can think of with schlo in it.
> > 
> > Now, can someone explain to me how to use the Telnet official dictionary?
> 
> Forget that, I've just got it to work, and the word is OK. Vynd is
> eliminated. I believe it is now Slakko's turn.

If it is indeed my turn, I play r.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 18:37:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ghost Status

> If it is indeed my turn, I play r.

It is now Pandora's turn.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 19:30:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Micah Smukler)
Subject: Re: Acka: *ping*

>Oh great scholar, is the truth:
>
>IF AND ONLY IF today has a date whose base seven representation is prime
>in base ten, THEN the Machine that goes *ping* shall go *ping*.
>
>/dev/joe

Congratulations, most worthy student.  You have indeed guessed the Truth
of the Machine.  May your Boon be fruitful, and may the Machine bring you
joy.

AtP

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 19:41:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Micah Smukler)
Subject: Re: Acka: Eleusis G2R1 (Attila the Pun)

KC.

AtP

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 21:31:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Fictionary Round 5

Round 5 of Fictionary is over, but in order to correctly calculate scores,
I need to know: is Round 3 (in which JT posted an invalid Dictionary
definition) included in the official scoring?  I didn't think it was, but
it is depicted as so on the Web page.

Help!  I need somebody.

- -Hubert

The Lottery: a tax for people who can't do the math. 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 21:31:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: WUA round 8 results

Round 8 ("plumber" to "dog") went, tersely, as follows:

Koxvolio linked with "lead."  This was accepted, and becomes, I think, our
first valid homophonic link.  All hail.

JT linked with "ass."  I also accepted this, if only because of the
earlier discussion about plumbers' dress habits.  And because of the way
dogs greet each other.

Slakko linked with "smell," which was accepted by a hair, given plumbers'
legendary hygiene.

else...if linked with "water," which I felt was too thin a link.

rufus and AtP did not submit link words that I noticed.

Scores are:
Koxvolio: 9
JT: 8
Slakko: 7
TGW: 4
Attila the Pun: 2
else...if: 1
rufus: 1

Now that we're back on the somewhat more prosaic words, JT must link from
"dog" in Round 9.

- -Hubert

The Lottery: a tax for people who can't do the math. 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 22:09:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Ghost Status

>  schlock

>  At least that's the only word I can think of with schlo in it.

Well, it's the only _clean_ word _I_ can think of with schlo in it.  :-)

(Good thing you didn't play 'n', that's all I can say.)

Yeah, what happens if you play a rude word in Ghost, if it's in the
Dictionary?  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Sinead O'Connor:I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got
Current Book--Elizabeth Ann Scarborough:The Healer's War
I had a dream last night about a book I read, and in the book the dream was dead

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 22:16:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: YORL duel play

> The Gingham Wearer plays: big.

I was going to say that this play came too late, but when reading the
YORL Rules, here's what I found:

"Also, when the barkeep notices that a Bard is asleep (i.e. it has been
eir turn continuously for three days or more, and e has not tried a play
in all that time) and posts a message to that effect, that Bard is
considered to have passed."

I can't remember if this came up in the past, a Bard playing after the
three-day limit has expired but before being declared asleep.  The Rules
do say that an Interruption can be denied after three days, but nothing
about a Bard's play.

So I think this play is still valid.  I'll have to actually go and read
it now and see if I accept it, but just because The Gingham Wearer was
asleep when e posted it doesn't seem to mean I can disregard it.

So obviously this needs to be tightened up a bit in phrasing...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Sinead O'Connor:I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got
Current Book--Elizabeth Ann Scarborough:The Healer's War
William Jex quickly caught five dozen Republicans.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 22:56:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: The Machine That Goes *ping*

> Congratulations, most worthy student.  You have indeed guessed the Truth
> of the Machine.  May your Boon be fruitful, and may the Machine bring you
> joy.
> 
> AtP

I return to my home, where I find the *Machine* awaiting me.
I recall the past visits of the machine, it seems like it was
only yesterday... Immediately I fall into a dream... a dream
where I encounter a strange pattern, one which has somehow
been blemished, and I have to use the most powerful thing in
the universe to fix it, risking my life if I should make the
slightest error.... Time passes, I awaken.

There was both a time and a spatial component to the pattern,
and fortunately the time part was undamaged, as there is no way
to fix it.  The time part of the pattern follows a very simple
rule, but I cannot seem to recall it entirely.  All I remember is:

IF AND ONLY IF today *** **** ** ***** ** *** *** ** ***** ****** ******
*****, THEN the Machine that goes *ping* shall go *ping*.

/dev/joe
Scholar of *ping*

------------------------------

End of acka-games-digest V3 #95
*******************************