Subject: acka-games-digest V3 #77
From: [email-masked] (acka-games-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-games-digest        Monday, April 20 1998        Volume 03 : Number 077

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 00:16:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Eleusis Game 1 - Round 1 - TGW's play

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> I'm going to try the 5 of hearts.

YES!  TGW has finally succeeding in playing incorrectly.

I give em a FairPlay award for this.  (No one said it had to pertain to
the game in question; e's a member of my WUA fracas.)

I apologize for not being on yesterday and giving else...if a chance to
play one last card before eir Vacation.  I suggest JT appoint someone else
in eir place.

- -Hubert

Quoth the Raven, "Eat my shorts." 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 01:23:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Eleusis Game 1 - Round 1 - else...if's turn

The game is currently paused until someone steps in to play for else...if
or until he returns from vacation.

Players and Scores:
    Hubert    : 0  ( 0 cards) (Deus)
    /dev/joe  : 0  (11 cards)
    TGW       : 0  (13 cards)
  * else...if : 0  (12 cards)
(* denotes who's turn it is to play -- play will be entered only after Deus
   and prophet respond to the play)

Card ranks:
The cards in each suit are ranked A-2 with Ace high.
Wild cards are ranked below 2's.

Correct Plays          | Incorrect plays
- -----------------------+------------------------------------------------------
 K S (starter)         |
 Q S (/dev/joe)        |
 6 S (TGW)             |
 3 S (else...if)       |
 4 C (/dev/joe)        |
 4 D (TGW)             |
 5 D (else...if)       |
 6 D (/dev/joe)        | 5 H (TGW)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 02:15:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Viruses Duel Round 2

Plays for round 2:

else...if: Step 63,28 -> 62,28
Joe Java: no move

Sorry, Joe Java, I didn't get to send you a last day reminder like some of
the referees do because I was very busy most of that day.

Board state after generation 2:

    5 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 7 7 7 7 
    9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 

 32 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  32
 31 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  31
 30 . . @ . . . . . . . ? @ ? . .  30
 29 . . . . . ? ? . @ ? . . . . .  29
 28 . . ? ? . ? @ J . . . . ? . .  28
 27 . . . . . . . J J . . . . . .  27
 26 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  26
 25 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  25
 24 . . . . . . . . . J . J . . .  24
 23 . . . . . . . . . . J . . . .  23
 22 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  22
 21 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  21

    5 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 7 7 7 7 
    9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 

else...if received a viruspoint this round!

Player  Symbol   Viruses   Points
else...if  ?       9         1
Joe Java   J       6         0

Send me your moves for round 3.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 09:20:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: ThinMan vs JT

TGW wrote:
>> >I protest the ghost word on the grounds that it is not contained within
>> >any word in the official dictionary.
>> 
>> 
>> I claim the word is 'tricapsular'
>
>Having finally got round to looking this up (that dictionary's even bigger
>than the Acka ruleset!) I can confirm that this is indeed a valid word. And
>in an odd quirk of fate, I was just downloading the dictionary when JT mailed
>me to remind me about it.

Arrrgghhh!  He got me!

JT, you have defended your honor adeptly, and I must acknowledge your
honorable intentions with regard to Senate seat Melvin.  So then, where
did "tricapsular" come from?  Do you read dictionaries in your spare
time (when not involved in a game of ghost, of course)?

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 10:15:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: ThinMan vs JT

>>Having finally got round to looking this up (that dictionary's even bigger
>>than the Acka ruleset!) I can confirm that this is indeed a valid word. And
>>in an odd quirk of fate, I was just downloading the dictionary when JT mailed
>>me to remind me about it.
>
>Arrrgghhh!  He got me!
>
>JT, you have defended your honor adeptly, and I must acknowledge your
>honorable intentions with regard to Senate seat Melvin.  So then, where
>did "tricapsular" come from?  Do you read dictionaries in your spare
>time (when not involved in a game of ghost, of course)?

Thank you.  You as well fought honorably and well.

I don't read dictionaries in my spare time.  I play a lot of word games
however, and tend to see words and note them in passing.  I also have a
good memory for trivialities (such as strange words :)  This one actually
happened because I figured (correctly) that you could apply a prefix to
the word capsular (as in something that has capsules) and figured an
i (by which I figured I could try tri- or bi- or uni- capsular) would
either get a challenge or would get another letter out of you, etc.

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 19:08:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: YORL play

That night as Sam lay asleep, he dreamed that his Grandpa was sitting by
the bed, rocking slowly back and forth in the same old blue chair he'd
always loved.

"Grandpa," said Sam, "why can't you tell me what happened to Sam and the
Thin Man and Kirby and the Finger and all of them?"

Grandpa grinned at Sam and said, "That's where the story ends, Sam.  It
doesn't go any further than that."

"But Grandpa!  You can't do that!" cried Sam, shocked.

Grandpa chuckled.  "I'm just kidding you, Sam.  Don't worry."

"You're such a joker, Grandpa."

Grandpa tousled Sam's hair.  "If you want to know what happens in the
story, Sam, there's only one way to do it."

"What is it, Grandpa?" asked Sam eagerly.

Grandpa leaned forward and whispered in Sam's ear.  Sam's eyes grew
bright, and as he laid himself back down, he hardly noticed his gently
smiling Grandpa leaving silently through the wall.

Sam closed his eyes, imagining the vastness of space in front of him.  An
asteroid hurtled through the black expanses of his mind, and as he heard
the howl of a coyote and the whir of a vacuum cleaner, he smiled.

He'd come home.

Hubert plays: joker

- -Hubert

Necrotelecomnicon: Book of telephone numbers of the dead

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 21:31:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Raquel Peres da Silva" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Eleusis G2R1

> Players and Scores:
>     Alfvaen         : 0  ( 0 cards) (Deus)
>     Attila the Pun  : 0  (13 cards)
>     K 2             : 0  (15 cards)
>   * Fortunato       : 0  (14 cards)
>     Ayla            : 0  (14 cards)
>     Robert Sevin    : 0  (14 cards)
>     JT              : 0  (14 cards)
> (* denotes whose turn it is to play -- play will be entered only after
Deus
>    and prophet respond to the play)

This was posted on April 17. As we don't have a prophet yet (do we?) I
think Fortunato's time is over now. Does it mean it's my turn?

Ayla
Priestess of The Order of the Razor Boomerangs

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 22:42:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Eleusis G2R1

>> Players and Scores:
>>     Alfvaen         : 0  ( 0 cards) (Deus)
>>     Attila the Pun  : 0  (13 cards)
>>     K 2             : 0  (15 cards)
>>   * Fortunato       : 0  (14 cards)
>>     Ayla            : 0  (14 cards)
>>     Robert Sevin    : 0  (14 cards)
>>     JT              : 0  (14 cards)
>> (* denotes whose turn it is to play -- play will be entered only after Deus
>>    and prophet respond to the play)
>
>This was posted on April 17. As we don't have a prophet yet (do we?) I
>think Fortunato's time is over now. Does it mean it's my turn?
>
>Ayla
>Priestess of The Order of the Razor Boomerangs

I'll apologize if Alfvaen's already answered this, but first Fortunato
would make the default play of 'No Play' (ie, declaring he had no cards
to play) which would cause Deus to post his cards, and then post whether
that play was correct, penalize/reward him, and then it would be your
turn Ayla.

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 22:54:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Eleusis game 1.

Since no one else has volunteered, and I think it's beneficial to continue
the game, I, having checked the rules, will offer to fill in for else...if
and assume his game position in game one until he returns from vacation.
At which point I will step down and return to else...if his position in
the game.

Fortunately, the structure of Eleusis is such that knowing the cards in
someone elses hand isn't an advantage which is why I don't see any problem
with this temporary assumption of playerhood on the part of the Referee.

Given that, I will play the card 
   Q D

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 23:09:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Fictionary reminder

Just figured I'd be nice and give those bluffers who'd forgotten a subtle
hint that tomorrow at 10 AM PDT/1 PM EDT (Acka time) was the deadline for
guesses.

- --JT

------------------------------

End of acka-games-digest V3 #77
*******************************