Subject: acka-games-digest V3 #66
From: [email-masked] (acka-games-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-games-digest       Thursday, April 9 1998       Volume 03 : Number 066

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 03:11:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades Round 4 bids

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> > For Round 4, I bid 2 tricks.
> 
> I'll bid 3, I guess.

I bid 4 tricks.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 05:22:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Joshua Herreshoff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades Round 4 bids

> > > For Round 4, I bid 2 tricks.
> >
> > I'll bid 3, I guess.
>
> I bid 4 tricks.

I think I'm in for 3 tricks.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 07:46:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades R4 T1

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Joshua Herreshoff wrote:

> > > > For Round 4, I bid 2 tricks.
> > >
> > > I'll bid 3, I guess.
> >
> > I bid 4 tricks.
> 
> I think I'm in for 3 tricks.

A 6 all battle this time, with my lead.

I lead the Ace of Hearts to the first trick.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 09:10:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: Joshua Herreshoff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades R4 T1

> I lead the Ace of Hearts to the first trick.

9 of hearts.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 16:07:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Fictionary Round 1 a real bummer

Two people correctly guessed the definition of gangrel:
Wanderer; vagrant. (or Wandering; vagrant, depending upon your
dictionary).

/dev/joe:
Any hated beast, especially the wolf.

JT:
A vagabond or wanderer.
Correct: 3 points.

else...if:
A wasting disease.

Hubert:
A disreputable person: vagrant, rascal.
Correct: 3 points.

Attila the Pun:
A disorderly or slovenly dog or other animal.

Vynd:
A person who is part animal, or animalistic in appearance or behavior.

This was close - but I didn't count it as correct because vagrants
are most commonly thought of just as being unkempt - not actually
animalistic.  At least in my experience, which is small, I'll admit.

The Gingham Wearer:
A small tether.

And rufus failed to submit - and so loses 1 point.

Scores after Round 1:

1. Slakko      0
2. rufus      -1
3. JT          3
4. Gingham     0
5. Hubert      3
6. Vynd        0
7. else...if   0
8. Atilla      0
9. /dev/joe    0

Take it away rufus!

Yours,
Slakko
will run for office for food
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - ex-President/still Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 17:13:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joel Ricker" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary Round 1 a real bummer

> Two people correctly guessed the definition of gangrel:
> Wanderer; vagrant. (or Wandering; vagrant, depending upon your
> dictionary).

Missing part of the definition: wanderering or vagrant vampire.  
Indiginous to the World of Darkness.

- -- Joe Java 

- -----------------------------------------------------------------
     Joel Ricker [] [email-masked] [] ICQ# 6244364
                The Imperial Emporer of ImpNom #28
         http://www.Geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/1047/
- -----------------------------------------------------------------
              That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
- -----------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 17:15:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary Round 1 a real bummer

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Joel Ricker wrote:

> > Two people correctly guessed the definition of gangrel:
> > Wanderer; vagrant. (or Wandering; vagrant, depending upon your
> > dictionary).
> 
> Missing part of the definition: wanderering or vagrant vampire.  
> Indiginous to the World of Darkness.

Not according to either of the official Fictionary Dictionaries.
I checked them, and according to the rules they are all that matter.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - ex-President/still Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 17:52:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades R4 T1

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Joshua Herreshoff wrote:

> > I lead the Ace of Hearts to the first trick.
> 
> 9 of hearts.

Three of hearts.

- -Hubert

Black holes are where God divided by zero. 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 18:01:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: WUA Round 2 Results

As Round 2 of Word Un-Association draws to a close, let us examine the
results.  Confused were requested to link "gilding" with "page."

else...if, Koxvolio, TGW, and Slakko all linked with "leaf," which is
accepted.

Attila the Pun attempted to link with "queen."  Quite aside from whether I
would accept it or not, there cannot be a direct link from "queen" to
"gilding," or TGW's first uh? word would have been invalid.  Great   
reincorporation, AtP, but be careful about that one caveat.  I give
Attila the Pun a FairPlay award for eir attempt at preserving symmetry.

rufus, in an apparent attempt to adapt eir Abstract Crescent strategy to
Word Un-Association, did not submit a link word.

Scores are:
Slakko: 3
Koxvolio: 2
Attila the Pun: 1
rufus: 1
else...if: 1
JT: 1
TGW: 1 

Thus, with round 2 over, the responsibility for linking from "page" now
rests on the shoulders of Attila the Pun.

And I would like to RFC a small change to the Rules for WUA: in a large
game like this, it is rarely likely that no player would be able to
submit a Link word, making the lucrative gain of 6 Gamepoints for the
Linker in that event nearly unreachable.  What would you say to amending
the Rules to allow the Linker one point for each player who failed to
submit a link word or submitted an invalid one?  Perhaps a bonus could be
allowed in the unlikely case that no player was able to submit one.  In
either case, the Linker would be required to submit eir valid word to the
Referee or lose 3 points.

The only problem with this is that it's near-impossible to distinguish
between those players who did not submit a link word because they were
unable to think of one (a testament to the skill of the Linker) and those
who simply forgot (a testament to the apathy of the Confused).  This is
unfortunate, but I can't really think of a better solution.

If this were the case, TGW and JT would each have gained 2 extra points
during the course of this game so far.

Let me know what you beings think, please.

- -Hubert

Bartender, I'll have whatever the gentleman on the floor is having. 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 18:07:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: WUA Round 2 Results

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Hubert wrote:

> And I would like to RFC a small change to the Rules for WUA: in a large
> game like this, it is rarely likely that no player would be able to
> submit a Link word, making the lucrative gain of 6 Gamepoints for the
> Linker in that event nearly unreachable.  What would you say to amending
> the Rules to allow the Linker one point for each player who failed to
> submit a link word or submitted an invalid one?  Perhaps a bonus could be
> allowed in the unlikely case that no player was able to submit one.  In
> either case, the Linker would be required to submit eir valid word to the
> Referee or lose 3 points.
> 
> The only problem with this is that it's near-impossible to distinguish
> between those players who did not submit a link word because they were
> unable to think of one (a testament to the skill of the Linker) and those
> who simply forgot (a testament to the apathy of the Confused).  This is
> unfortunate, but I can't really think of a better solution.

How about the following - the link word has to be submitted to the referee
with the uh? word - and Fictionary style the Linker gets 2 (or maybe 3)
points if no-one gets the link word, n-1 points if no-one gets any word at
all.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - ex-President/still Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 19:47:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades R4 T1

> > > I lead the Ace of Hearts to the first trick.

> > 9 of hearts.

> Three of hearts.

Queen of Hearts.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Beatles:Magical Mystery Tour
Current Book--Sean Stewart:The Night Watch
If life were logical, it would be men who rode sidesaddle

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 20:08:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Micah Smukler)
Subject: Re: Acka: WUA Round 2 Results

>Attila the Pun attempted to link with "queen."  Quite aside from whether I
>would accept it or not, there cannot be a direct link from "queen" to
>"gilding," or TGW's first uh? word would have been invalid.  Great
>reincorporation, AtP, but be careful about that one caveat.  I give
>Attila the Pun a FairPlay award for eir attempt at preserving symmetry.

Oh yeah.

(I will read the rules.  I will read the rules.  I will read the rules.)

>rufus, in an apparent attempt to adapt eir Abstract Crescent strategy to
>Word Un-Association, did not submit a link word.
>
>Scores are:
>Slakko: 3
>Koxvolio: 2
>Attila the Pun: 1
>rufus: 1
>else...if: 1
>JT: 1
>TGW: 1
>
>Thus, with round 2 over, the responsibility for linking from "page" now
>rests on the shoulders of Attila the Pun.
>

The uh? word is "bird".

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 22:25:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Viruses

Here are the moves for Round 34:

else...if: Step O23-N23
breadbox: Place >18
/dev/joe: Place L16
two-star: Place @17
Slakko: Place D0
The Gingham Wearer: Step G9-F8

New Grid:

   ; < = > ? @ A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z [ \ 
28 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 28
27 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 27
26 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . * * . . . . . . . . 26
25 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X X @ . ? @ * * * . . . . . . . . 25
24 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . . . . . . * . . . . . . . 24
23 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . @ ? . . . * * . . . . . . . . . 23
22 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ? ? . . . . . . / / @ . . . 22
21 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ? ? . @ . . . . . . . . . 21
20 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ? . ? . . . / . / @ . . 20
19 . . . . X @ X . . . ? ? . . . . . X . . . ? ? . ? @ . @ . . / . . . 19
18 . . . . . . . . . . ? ? . . . X X X . . ? ? ? ? . ? . ? . / . . . . 18
17 . . . . . * @ . . . . . . . . @ . . . . . . @ @ ? ? . . . / / . . . 17
16 . . . . X @ . . . . . . . . / . . / . . . X X . . ? . . . . . . . . 16
15 . . . X X X . . . . . . . . / @ @ @ / . . . . . . . . . . / . . . . 15
14 . . X X . X X . . . . . . / @ . . / / / . . @ ? . . . / / . . . . . 14
13 . . . X X X . . . . . . / @ . . . / / / . . @ ? . . . . . . . . . . 13
12 . . . . X . . . . . . . * @ * . . . / / . G . . . . . . . . . . . . 12
11 . . . . . . . . . . . . . * * . . . . . . G G G . . . . . . . . . . 11
10 . . . . . . . . . . G G . @ . . . . . . . . . . . . G . . . . . . . 10
 9 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . G . . . . . . G G . . . . . . . . . . .  9
 8 . . . . . . . . . . @ G . G . . . . . . . @ . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
 7 . . . . . . . . . . @ . . . . . . . . . . * . * . * . . . . . . . .  7
 6 . . . . . . . . S . S S . S . * * . . . * . * . . . . . . . . . . .  6
 5 . . . . . . S S S . . S . @ . * . . . . . * * * * * . . . . . . . .  5
 4 . . . . . . . S S . . . . . . @ . . . . . . . . * . . . . . . . . .  4
 3 . . . . . . . S S . . . . . * * . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
 2 . . . . . . . . S S . . . . . * . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  2
 1 . . . . . . . . S S S . . @ . . * . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  1
 0 . . . . . . . . . . S . . @ . @ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  0
- -1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . S . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . -1
- -2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . -2
- -3 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . -3
   ; < = > ? @ A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z [ \ 

two-star got a Viruspoint this round!

Player Name      Symbol    Cells     Points
two-star           *        31          4
/dev/joe           /        25          7
breadbox           X        23          2
Slakko             S        19          2
else...if          ?        18          3
The Gingham Wearer G        12          8

Round 35 begins now.  You may reply to this message to send me your
moves.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Judas Priest:Turbo Lover
Current Book--Sean Stewart:The Night Watch
After the flood, all that was left was a small genetic pool.

------------------------------

End of acka-games-digest V3 #66
*******************************