Subject: acka-games-digest V3 #60
From: [email-masked] (acka-games-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-games-digest        Friday, April 3 1998        Volume 03 : Number 060

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 02:11:38 -0500 (EST)
From: Joshua Herreshoff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades R3 T4

Duncan Richer wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
>
> > Nine of Hearts.
> King of Hearts.

6 of Spades

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 04:44:19 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades R3 T5

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Joshua Herreshoff wrote:

> > > Nine of Hearts.
> > King of Hearts.
> 
> 6 of Spades

Once again, the Jack of Hearts.

Take it away, Goldie the Trick 6 Leader!

- -Hubert

What happens if you get scared half to death twice? 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 05:49:41 -0500 (EST)
From: Joshua Herreshoff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades R3 T6

I'll lead the Queen of Diamonds

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 06:11:43 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades R3 T6

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Joshua Herreshoff wrote:

> I'll lead the Queen of Diamonds

I reply wittily with the Five of Diamonds.

- -Hubert

Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's Disease. How could you not see that 
coming? -Dennis Leary 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 07:47:11 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Micah Smukler)
Subject: Acka: *ping*

Today is Friday, the 3rd day of April, and the Machine That Goes *ping*
Has Gone *ping* today. Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone
*ping* 5 times.

AtP

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 10:05:16 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades R3 T6

> > I'll lead the Queen of Diamonds

> I reply wittily with the Five of Diamonds.

I thought I'd replied to this, but perhaps I only thought about it.  If I
haven't already, I play the 2 of Hearts.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Prefab Sprout:Couldn't Bear To Be Special
Current Book--Jo Clayton:Quester's Endgame
Greenness disintegrates.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 10:20:16 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades R3 T6

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> > > I'll lead the Queen of Diamonds
> 
> > I reply wittily with the Five of Diamonds.
> 
> I thought I'd replied to this, but perhaps I only thought about it.  If I
> haven't already, I play the 2 of Hearts.

Great.  Two voids in the opponents (presuming of course both were legal
:-)).

I finish off the trick with the 2 of Diamonds.

Goldenmean's lead again.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 17:17:46 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Word Un-Association starting

Hear ye, hear ye!

Acka's second recorded game of Word Un-Association is imminent (but _not_ 
eminent).  The randomly determined playing order is as follows:

1. The Gingham Wearer
2. JT
3. Attila the Pun
4. else...if
5. Koxvolio
6. Slakko
7. rufus

I thank all participants for their record-breaking, uh, participation and 
thumb my nose at noted WUA skeptic Alfvaen.  If any present know of any
reason why this game of Word Un-Association should not henceforth proceed,
speak now or forever hold your piece.

No one?

In that case, let the Game begin!  The Official Dictionary came up,
interestingly enough, with the word "queen."  Take it away, TGW!

Irreverence aside, I note that as is, the Confused have to redirect a
private reply to the Ref from a message posted by the Linker.  Perhaps it
would be easier if the Linker could send the new uh? word to the Ref, who
could then post it to acka-games-priv, and players would need only hit
"Reply" instead of pasting in the Ref's address.  I doubt this is in the
scope of a CSR, but if players get tired of cutting and pasting we might
consider a Proposal to that effect.

- -Hubert

When I'm feeling down, I like to whistle. 
It make the neighbor's dog run to the end of his chain and gag himself. 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 18:00:53 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Word Un-Association starting

> In that case, let the Game begin!  The Official Dictionary came up,
> interestingly enough, with the word "queen."  Take it away, TGW!

How ironic that your dice decided I should be the first linker. Still, this
round's uh? word is "gilding".

> Irreverence aside, I note that as is, the Confused have to redirect a
> private reply to the Ref from a message posted by the Linker.  Perhaps it
> would be easier if the Linker could send the new uh? word to the Ref, who
> could then post it to acka-games-priv, and players would need only hit
> "Reply" instead of pasting in the Ref's address.  I doubt this is in the
> scope of a CSR, but if players get tired of cutting and pasting we might
> consider a Proposal to that effect.

I think that that would slow the game down. Merely cutting and pasting an
address hardly takes any time, but for the ref to forward the uh? word could
easily take the best part of a day.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 19:08:56 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Word Un-Association starting

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> > In that case, let the Game begin!  The Official Dictionary came up,
> > interestingly enough, with the word "queen."  Take it away, TGW!
> 
> How ironic that your dice decided I should be the first linker. Still, this
> round's uh? word is "gilding".

Ironic, indeed, especially given the recent behavior of the ASS.
Confused, please submit your link words.  You have three days.  I would
also encourage you to include an explanation as to how your word links the
base word and the uh? word for the round.  The Referee may not always be
thinking along the same lines as you, and an explanation may garner you a
successful link when there would be none to be found otherwise.

> I think that that would slow the game down. Merely cutting and pasting an
> address hardly takes any time, but for the ref to forward the uh? word could
> easily take the best part of a day.

This is true.  If no one else feels it's a problem, I don't mind at all
myself.

- -Hubert

Does Schroedinger's cat have 18 half-lives? 

------------------------------

End of acka-games-digest V3 #60
*******************************