Subject: acka-games-digest V3 #55
From: [email-masked] (acka-games-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-games-digest        Sunday, March 29 1998        Volume 03 : Number 055

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 09:18:49 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Micah Smukler)
Subject: Acka: *ping*

Today is Sunday, the 29th day of March, and the Machine That Goes *ping*
Has Gone *ping* today. Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone
*ping* 2 times.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 13:21:26 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Ghost Duel starting

> > > I protest, although my brain may be in a fog
> > > That no dictionary word contains said "gdog".

> > I don't wish to be a game-winning hog,
> > But I think soon your look will be somewhat "hangdog".

> Alfvaen is quite correct, it seems, 
> And with this game, emself redeems.
> While the bannists in sheer misery blub, 
> 'Vaen 'n I'll be thumping tubs.

> A warning to the winner, though:
> "Hangdogs" is in the D that's O.
> And had GW that inferred,
> E could have beat you with said word.

Really?  I knew that "kingdom" would have been a bad play because it
could be pluralized(so I cut off TGW's road there), but I didn't
think "hangdog" could be.

The word I was originally thinking of was "ogdoad", but decided it was
too risky because if TGW knew it I'd lose from an even number of
letters, and also while I knew it was a word from having been given it
in one of my Four Word Stories, I wasn't confident it would be in the
Official Dictionary.

> But the Good Guys won, so all is right;
> On Chumba, Fortune smiles bright.
> And though it may be somewhat crass,
> I play "Tubthumping" on the ASS.

Whoo-hoo!

> I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met.

Hee.  Stolen.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Kate Bush:The Whole Story
Current Book--Jo Clayton:Quester's Endgame
I'd like to feed your fingertips to the wolverine.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 16:32:08 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ghost Duel starting

On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> Really?  I knew that "kingdom" would have been a bad play because it
> could be pluralized(so I cut off TGW's road there), but I didn't
> think "hangdog" could be.

I was thinking along exactly the same lines when it got to 'gdo,' and
decided to check it out.  I did use the Scrabble dictionary on Marldoom to
check it because I didn't feel like gunzipping 200,000 words, but that is
an Official Dictionary and "hangdogs" is in there.  It would be
interesting to check the etymology of the word and see if it originally
evolved from a noun (meaning, I guess, near exactly what it sounds like.)

> The word I was originally thinking of was "ogdoad", but decided it was
> too risky because if TGW knew it I'd lose from an even number of
> letters, and also while I knew it was a word from having been given it
> in one of my Four Word Stories, I wasn't confident it would be in the
> Official Dictionary.

It's in the Scrabble dictionary, but wasn't found when I plugged it into
M-W's online dictionary search.  What does it mean?

- -Hubert

When you do a good deed, get a receipt, in case heaven is like the IRS 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 17:17:12 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Ghost Duel starting

> > Really?  I knew that "kingdom" would have been a bad play because it
> > could be pluralized(so I cut off TGW's road there), but I didn't
> > think "hangdog" could be.

> I was thinking along exactly the same lines when it got to 'gdo,' and
> decided to check it out.  I did use the Scrabble dictionary on Marldoom to
> check it because I didn't feel like gunzipping 200,000 words, but that is
> an Official Dictionary and "hangdogs" is in there.  It would be
> interesting to check the etymology of the word and see if it originally
> evolved from a noun (meaning, I guess, near exactly what it sounds like.)

Well, since it's okay to check my dictionary now(not being in a game of
Ghost _or_ Fictionary), my Random House does list a noun usage of "hangdog",
but as "Archaic": A degraded, contemptible person.

> > The word I was originally thinking of was "ogdoad", but decided it was
> > too risky because if TGW knew it I'd lose from an even number of
> > letters, and also while I knew it was a word from having been given it
> > in one of my Four Word Stories, I wasn't confident it would be in the
> > Official Dictionary.

> It's in the Scrabble dictionary, but wasn't found when I plugged it into
> M-W's online dictionary search.  What does it mean?

It's a group of eight people, I believe.  Related to "octo", with the
consonants shifted to voiced rather than voiceless.

Oh, and while I'm here, "ramet" is listed here as meaning "An individual
of a clone".  Which is really badly expressed, but I gather that it's sort
of like if you clone something, each particular one is a ramet.  (I'll
have to remember that if I write any SF about clones or something...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Keith Richards:Whip It Up
Current Book--Jo Clayton:Quester's Endgame
All questions asked by five watch experts amazed the judge.

------------------------------

End of acka-games-digest V3 #55
*******************************