Subject: acka-games-digest V3 #47
From: [email-masked] (acka-games-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-games-digest        Friday, March 20 1998        Volume 03 : Number 047

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 07:10:13 -0500 (EST)
From: Joshua Herreshoff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades: R3 T2

> > >I lead the Ace of Clubs.
> >
> > 2 of Clubs.
>
> Nine of Clubs.

4 of Clubs.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 08:38:10 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Abstract Crescent: Round 2 Results, Round 3 starts

Moves made in Round 2 of Abstract Crescent:

Hubert: 13
else...if: 14
The Gingham Wearer: no play
Alfvaen: 4
rufus: no play
/dev/joe: 6

So Alfvaen wins this round and scores 10 points (2*6 - 6 + 4)

Scores: Hubert 11, Alfvaen 10, everyone else 0.
Game is 30.

Send your moves in for Round 3!
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 08:49:38 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Abstract Round 3

I forgot to remind you of your numbers:

rufus: 0
/dev/joe: 1
Hubert: 2
else...if: 3
The Gingham Wearer: 4
Alfvaen: 5

Please respond with your congruences mod 6 privately.

If you want to join the game, email me privately and you can start as of
the next round.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 14:40:25 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Word Un-association update

Neither Slakko nor /dev/joe have supplied an appropriate link word so Hubert
must do so now. If he does so then e gains two points. The next linker is, I
believe, Slakko, who must link from braid and may as well do so now unless
there's some impediment in my rule that I can't recall. And just to remind
you that if my CSR has passed by now (I can't recall the length of time
before it gets accepted; I suppose I ought to check) then link words now go
to me (i.e., the referee).

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 14:47:12 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Word Un-association update

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> Neither Slakko nor /dev/joe have supplied an appropriate link word so Hubert
> must do so now. If he does so then e gains two points. The next linker is, I
> believe, Slakko, who must link from braid and may as well do so now unless
> there's some impediment in my rule that I can't recall. And just to remind
> you that if my CSR has passed by now (I can't recall the length of time
> before it gets accepted; I suppose I ought to check) then link words now go
> to me (i.e., the referee).

The uh? word for this round, being two steps away from braid, is:

raising.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 18:15:56 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Word Un-association update

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> Neither Slakko nor /dev/joe have supplied an appropriate link word so Hubert
> must do so now. If he does so then e gains two points. The next linker is, I
> believe, Slakko, who must link from braid and may as well do so now unless
> there's some impediment in my rule that I can't recall. And just to remind
> you that if my CSR has passed by now (I can't recall the length of time
> before it gets accepted; I suppose I ought to check) then link words now go
> to me (i.e., the referee).

I was intending to link "start" and "braid" with "up."

I don't think there would be any contention that "up" would be associated
with "start" either as "upstart" or as in the famous Microsoft/Rolling
Stones anthem.  Given the recent success of my efforts, though, I would
like to explain my choice with regards to "upbraid," meaning "castigate."

My previous play -- with "re" to link "start" and "pair" -- used "re,"
normally a musical term, as a completely unrelated prefix in each case.
In the case of "upbraid," however, the origin of the word is, I believe,
from the military.  An officer convicted in a court-martial would be
punished by having all eir decorations removed, beginning with the
epaulets: the braids quite literally ripped up off eir shoulders.  Because
of this, I think "up" is more closely associated with "braid" than simply
as a prefix.  TGW is welcome, of course, to rule differently.  (And
probably will. :-))

- -Hubert

"Plato, this is delicious. What did you you say was in it?" -Socrates

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 18:21:15 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades: R3 T3

Greatly daring, I lead the King of Clubs for the third trick of this third
round of this interminable game of Spades.

- -Hubert

Illiterate? Write today for free help. 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 20:44:35 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades: R3 T3

> Greatly daring, I lead the King of Clubs for the third trick of this third
> round of this interminable game of Spades.

Seven of Clubs.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Smiths:Louder Than Bombs
Current Book--Jane Yolen:White Jenna
Never pet a burning dog.

------------------------------

End of acka-games-digest V3 #47
*******************************