Subject: acka-games-digest V3 #45
From: [email-masked] (acka-games-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-games-digest      Wednesday, March 18 1998      Volume 03 : Number 045

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 08:58:16 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Fictionary, Round 13, completed

The lucky thirteenth round of Fictionary is now over, and here are the
results.

The Ing word, as you undoubtedly recall, was "gleet", and the sources
of the various definitions were:

Slakko:    1. An archaic instrument; a predecessor of the bagpipes.
TGW:       3. Highly active, usually with reference to animals.
Vynd:      7. The thick layer of fat deposits found just below the
              skin of most bears.
Alfvaen:   6. To glisten wetly.
/dev/joe:  2. A clicking sound, made by snapping the tip of tongue off
              the roof of the mouth, which occurs only in some African
              languages.
else...if: 4. To steal.

which, of course, leaves:

           5. To flow slowly, as water.

as the actual definition. It may be worth noting, by the way, that
this is the most pedestrian of the three definitions listed for
it. The other two were:

1. [n.] A transparent mucous discharge from the membrane of the
urethra, commonly an effect of gonorrhea.
2. [v.] To flow in a thin, limpid humor; to ooze, as gleet.

I also note that Mrs. Byrne's infamous dictionary gives "hawk stomach
phlegm" as a definition. In any case, those Bluffers who chose to
submit nounlike definitions can probably consider any sneers they may
receive as being undeserved. But I digress.

Scoring is as follows:

    i) Each Bluffer receives 1 Gamepoint for every player other than
       himself who voted for his definition.

Vynd receives not one but two Gamepoints, and else...if, /dev/joe, and
Slakko each receive one Gamepoint. (Vynd and /dev/joe each voted for
the other's definition - I love it when that happens.)

   ii) A Bluffer receives 2 Gamepoints if he voted for the Actual
       Definition.

else...if receives another two Gamepoints for his piercing insight.

  iii) If no one voted for the Actual Definition, the Brainiac
       receives 2 Gamepoints.

Nothing for me this time.

To sum everything up:

                    Previous  Definition  Definition   Points  Current
   Name                Score   Authored   Voted for   Received   Score
1. Slakko                 13       1      4.else...if     1         14
2. The Gingham Wearer     14       3      1.Slakko        0         14
3. Vynd                    2       7      2./dev/joe      2          4
4. Alfvaen                29       6      7.Vynd          0         29
5. /dev/joe                8       2      7.Vynd          1          9
6. breadbox               14      (5)                     0         14
7. else...if               8       4      5.actual        3         12

An amazing three-way tie for second place has turned the game balance
on its ear. And will Alfvaen actually finish out with more than twice
the score of the second-place winner? Only Time will tell -- Time and
else...if, our ultimate Brainiac, to whom I now relinquish the helm.

breadbox
ex-Brainiac

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 10:53:33 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary, Round 13, completed

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> The lucky thirteenth round of Fictionary is now over, and here are the
> results.

> I also note that Mrs. Byrne's infamous dictionary gives "hawk stomach
> phlegm" as a definition. In any case, those Bluffers who chose to
> submit nounlike definitions can probably consider any sneers they may
> receive as being undeserved. But I digress.

Actually, they can count any sneers as not in accordance with the rules of
Fictionary.  You can only sneer at a definition which is not the same part
of speech as the Ing word, not the definition chosen.  gleet, being both a
noun and a verb, ensures that all but one of the definitions is free from
ridicule.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 20:53:24 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Viruses

Here are the moves for Round 24 of Viruses:

The Gingham Wearer: Step Q8-P7
/dev/joe: Place X17
else...if: Step G19-F18
Slakko: Step J10-K9
breadbox: Place E16
two-star: None

New Grid:

   ? @ A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 
26 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 26
25 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25
24 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . * * . . . . . . . 24
23 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . * * . . . . . . . 23
22 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . @ @ . . @ . * . . . . . . . 22
21 . . . . . . . . . . . . . X @ . ? ? ? @ . . . . . . . . 21
20 . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . ? . . . ? . . . . . . . 20
19 . . . . . . ? ? . . . X X X @ . ? . . ? . . . . . . . . 19
18 . . . . . . @ ? . . X . . X . . . ? ? . . . . / / / . . 18
17 . . . . . X @ . . ? . . X . . . . . . . . . . . / / . . 17
16 . . X . . X X . ? . . . X . . . . . ? ? ? . . . / / . . 16
15 . . X . . X . . . ? . @ . . ? . . @ . . . . . . . . . . 15
14 . . . . . X . . @ . . . . @ @ . / / @ @ @ . . . . . . . 14
13 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . / . @ . . . . . . . . . . . 13
12 . . . . . X . X . . S S . . . . . G @ @ . . . . . . . . 12
11 . . . . . . . . @ S S S @ / / . @ . G . . . . . . . . . 11
10 . . . X . @ G G . . S . . . / . / . . G . . . . . . . . 10
 9 . . . @ X @ G . @ @ . . . / / . . . . G . . . . . . . .  9
 8 . . S @ S . @ . S . / . . . . . G . . . G . . . . . . .  8
 7 . . . S S S S . S . . . / . . . . G . G G . . . . . . .  7
 6 . . . S S . S . . . / . . / . . . @ . . . . * . . . . .  6
 5 . . . . S . . . . . . . . . . . . . * . . . . * . . . .  5
 4 . . . . S . S . . * . . . @ . . . . * . . . * . . . . .  4
 3 . . . . . . . . . . * . * . . . . . . . . * . . . . . .  3
 2 . . . . . . . . . . . * . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  2
 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  1
 0 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  0
   ? @ A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 

No viruspoint was awarded this round.

Player Name      Symbol    Cells     Points
/dev/joe           /        20          6
Slakko             S        20          2
breadbox           X        20          0
else...if          ?        19          1
two-star           *        15          1
The Gingham Wearer G        12          8

Round 25 begins now; you may reply to this message to send me your
moves.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Cracker:The Golden Age
Current Book--Ann Marston:The Western King
And the dwarves cried giant tears.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 20:53:19 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary, Round 13, completed

> The Ing word, as you undoubtedly recall, was "gleet", and the sources
> of the various definitions were:

> 1. [n.] A transparent mucous discharge from the membrane of the
> urethra, commonly an effect of gonorrhea.

See, I think this was the one I was thinking of.  Except that I didn't
quite know what it was.

> Vynd:      7. The thick layer of fat deposits found just below the
>               skin of most bears.

So I must ask Vynd, who wrote this definition, and /dev/joe, who also
voted for it, if they have the same reason I do for associating the
word "gleet" with bears.  (And with Treasure 190, as well, to clarify
further....)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Cracker:The Golden Age
Current Book--Ann Marston:The Western King
I'm clinging to sanity by a thread.  Hand me those scissors.

------------------------------

End of acka-games-digest V3 #45
*******************************