Subject: acka-games-digest V3 #33
From: [email-masked] (acka-games-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-games-digest       Thursday, March 5 1998       Volume 03 : Number 033

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 00:28:13 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades: R2 T2

> On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Joshua Herreshoff wrote:

> > I'll lead the King of Hearts

> I follow with the 2 of Hearts.

> -Hubert

4 of Hearts.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Jon & Vangelis:Page of Life
Current Book--Zane Grey:Nevada
Nonsense makes strange bedfellows.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 02:27:53 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: re acka yorl play

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Michael James wrote:

> although sam and "friends" were journeying to the moon in a crude way ,
> they were actually at their destination instantlyfor the ring ewore gave
> only the sense of the journey in a picturesque state. Not only to imself
> but his companoions as well, it was like the shutter of a camera opening
> and closing so fast , but the result is an almost everlasting image, crude
> , yet , timeless. As the moon unfolded and embraced them they were first
> hit by an atmospheric change , their lungs filling with the scents of
> perfumed flowers and earthy stellae rock, the combination of the two was
> unknown to the three heros , but a smell that woke up , centuries of
> reincarnation far back in their subconciousness, the first structure they
> had all tuned into was an enourmous temple. sam recalled seeing this
> particular temple , but only in a rapidly deteriorating state when he
> ventured to mexico what seemed like a thousand years ago (given all this
> craziness that has past in so short a time), it was magnificent to behold
> from afar.
> 
> karma plays : camera

Sam just remembered the temple in his mind - we're having a flashback.

Slakko interrupts with: flashback

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 02:30:40 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades: R2 T2

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> > On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Joshua Herreshoff wrote:
> 
> > > I'll lead the King of Hearts
> 
> > I follow with the 2 of Hearts.
> 
> > -Hubert
> 
> 4 of Hearts.

5 of Hearts.

Goldie's lead again.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 02:57:25 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary Round 11

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> Harmost:
> 
> 1. A South American monkey with sandy colored fur.
> 

In for a penny...

I vote for definition 1, above.

                             - Vynd, who actually thinks it might be right

[email-masked]

> 
> 
> Reply to this message to vote publicly.
> 
> 
> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
> Current Album--Curiosity Killed The Cat:Keep Your Distance
> Current Book--Zane Grey:Nevada
> And with such tales do well lull ourselves to sleep.
> 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 02:59:35 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary Round 11

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> Ugh, I didn't like any of this round's definitions.
> But I have to vote for something, so I vote for:
> 
> > 1. A South American monkey with sandy colored fur.

Well, given most have voted for it, it can't be Alfvaen's fake definition,
so either some other player is gonna get a lot of points, or we'll all get
two each.  Sounds good either way.

I vote for number 1.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:56:12 -0500 (EST)
From: Joshua Herreshoff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades: R2 T3

I'll lead out the King of Diamonds

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 05:26:59 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades: R2 T3

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Joshua Herreshoff wrote:

> I'll lead out the King of Diamonds

Seven of Diamonds.

- -Hubert

Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its students. 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 09:36:16 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades: R2 T3

> > I'll lead out the King of Diamonds

> Seven of Diamonds.

Six of Diamonds.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--ZZ Top:My Head's In Mississippi
Current Book--Zane Grey:Nevada
Open mouth; insert face.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 09:49:05 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Fictionary: End of Round 11

Well, for the what may be the first time in the game, I didn't score any
points this round, because someone did indeed vote for the real definition.

Which was:

6. A governor or prefect appointed by the Spartans in the cities subjugated
by them.

The Gingham Wearer successfully sucked everyone in to voting for eir
"monkey" definition, and sheeping probably didn't hurt.

(And else...if, the only one to vote for the correct definition, was also
the only one who failed to send one in...)

No. Submitter  Voted For  Old Score   Points   New Score
7.  Slakko         1          12        0         12
1.  TGW            1           8        4         12
4.  Vynd           1           1        0          1
6.  Alfvaen       (Br)        28        0         28
2.  /dev/joe       1           8        0          8
3.  breadbox       1          13        0         13
5.  else...if      6           7        2          9

/dev/joe is your next Brainiac.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--ZZ Top:My Head's In Mississippi
Current Book--Zane Grey:Nevada
K is for Kate who was struck with an axe, L is for Leo who swallowed some tacks.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 10:23:17 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary: End of Round 11

Oh, and breadbox's definition was the wrong part of speech, too.
But I didn't think it was that bad...:-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Shonen Knife:Top of The World
Current Book--Zane Grey:Nevada
I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 10:50:47 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: YORL (Slakko)

> On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Michael James wrote:
> > although sam and "friends" were journeying to the moon in a crude way ,
> > they were actually at their destination instantlyfor the ring ewore gave
> > only the sense of the journey in a picturesque state. Not only to imself
> > but his companoions as well, it was like the shutter of a camera opening
> > and closing so fast , but the result is an almost everlasting image, crude
> > , yet , timeless. 
...
> > karma plays : camera

Karma's play is rejected, on the grounds that a camera was only mentioned
in the story segment, and not really introduced into the story.  Camera is
burned, and Karma is dealt two cards.

> Sam just remembered the temple in his mind - we're having a flashback.
> 
> Slakko interrupts with: flashback

Slakko's interrupt is accepted, and Karma is dealt another card.
It is Slakko's turn.  Note that Karma's play was rejected, so his
segment is not added to the story, and Slakko's play should carry on
from the last successful play.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 10:52:05 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: YORL: Why cowboy is loose

Karma wrote:
> and note to devjoe :how did cowboy ever become a loose end , and if so how
> come my last story segment didn't tie it up??) 
> Excerpt: "sam no longer the cowboy....."

Even though Sam is no longer a cowboy, the cowboy loose end still refers
to him, and his fate in the story is certainly not clear.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 11:06:28 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Fictionary: R12 Ing Word

The Ing word for round 12 is phlogopite.

Bluffers, reply privately with your definitions.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 11:47:41 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades: R2 T3

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> > > I'll lead out the King of Diamonds
> 
> > Seven of Diamonds.
> 
> Six of Diamonds.

3 of Diamonds.

Goldie's lead again.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 12:32:56 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Yorl: Slakko's Play

Sam could see the moon getting closer, and then suddenly realised that he
didn't have any brakes.  The firecracker was running out of fuel,
fortunately for him, but that still left him tumbling at an enormous
velocity.  Despite his huge level of innate cowboy self-control, he
screamed for help to the Coyote and the vacuum-cleaner guy.

Suddenly without warning, the vacuum cleaner cord whipped around Sam,
pinning him, but keeping him close to the cleaner.  Then the Coyote
grabbed a little switch marked BLOW and toggled it.  A huge gust of air
and dust came out of the vacuum cleaner and was propelled at a great rate
towards the ever increasing moon.  Sam could tell that the velocity wasn't
going to fall in time though.  He closed his eyes for the inevitable
landing...

and bounced.  He opened them again.  The moon's surface seemed spongy,
very flexible, and in fact, on a second glance, quite dairy.  He settled
down again with the vacuum cleaner cord having retracted back into the
model, and began to laugh.  Everyone had told him the moon was made of
cheese, but he had never believed them before.  It looked like quite a
nice Gouda, actually, but there was no doubting it was real cheese.

Sam was grateful - he'd been in this story for weeks but still hadn't had
a proper meal.

Slakko plays: cheese

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 13:15:14 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Round 7!

Yes, it's everyone's favorite Round, the Lucky Sevens Round!  This
Round, as a special bonus to all Grabbers who have made it this far, I
will be awarding a FairPlay award to the first person who sends me a
successful grab!  (I know you're all just *so* excited now :))

Anyway, on to the Grabbing... and there was a bit of it:

Alfvaen made a bold move, hurling his Lariat of Doom at Hilbert's
donkey, which was unfortunately covered.  Alfvaen was then kicked right
off the GAL by Guy Fawkes, always one to seize the opportunity.

breadbox let his donkey see the light of day for the first time, and
snatched Calvin N Hobbes' donkey.  Calvin N Hobbes stood and admired his
donkey and breadbox's throw.

The Gingham Wearer snatched Bill the pirate king's frosty donkey with a
quick flip of his lariat.  Bill TPK watched helplessly from his block of
Ice.

K 2, Goldenmean, Illusion, and the creator of the Ackanomic Sound System
covered their respective donkeys (or maybe they covered each others'
donkeys... who knows?

Slakko also covered his donkey, making him the longest-running Donkey
Coverer (every single round so far)!  If that's not deserving of
something, I don't know what is.

Finally, Rex Mundi stood around admiring his donkey.

Current Scores: 
The Gingham Wearer - 3
breadbox - 1
Guy Fawkes - 1
Rex Mundi - 1
Goldenmean - 1
TCOTASS - 1
Everyone else - 0

The significantly-smaller GAL:
breadbox
The Gingham Wearer
Guy Fawkes
Illusion
K 2
Rex Mundi
Hilbert
The artist formerly known as Slagothor
Slakko

Get your moves in quick, and we can burn through the rest of this game
:)

Your Wrangler
- ------------------
Aaron Keesler
Lotus Notes Administrator
Intranet Administrator
Adtran, Inc.
- ------------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 13:15:28 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Word un-association

I believe it has been more than three days since Hubert posted less as
the uh? word and neither Slakko nor /dev/joe have managed to supply a
link word. Hubert must therefore, IIRC, post eir link word.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 16:39:13 -0500 (EST)
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Mediocrity round 16 results

Alfvaen played 15, followed minutes later by /dev/joe, with 10. else...if
played 6, followed by Slakko's 1. The Gingham Wearer pitched in with 9, and
then rufus played 11. Breaking the run of unique numbers, Goldenmean played 9.

Fortunato played a random 15.

So 10 was the most mediocre number, and /dev/joe gains 1 Gamepoint.

The scores are: Goldenmean 1, The Gingham Wearer 1, Fortunato 1, else...if 2,
Alfvaen 2, /dev/joe 4, Slakko 3, rufus 2.

Slakko has the most mediocre score, and so wins the game. Congratulations! He
gets a mediocre standard Trophy.

I am awarding /dev/joe a FairPlay award, for almost winning.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 17:04:15 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Mediocrity round 16 results

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Gavin M. Doig wrote:

> Alfvaen played 15, followed minutes later by /dev/joe, with 10. else...if
> played 6, followed by Slakko's 1. The Gingham Wearer pitched in with 9, and
> then rufus played 11. Breaking the run of unique numbers, Goldenmean played 9.
> 
> Fortunato played a random 15.
> 
> So 10 was the most mediocre number, and /dev/joe gains 1 Gamepoint.
> 
> The scores are: Goldenmean 1, The Gingham Wearer 1, Fortunato 1, else...if 2,
> Alfvaen 2, /dev/joe 4, Slakko 3, rufus 2.
> 
> Slakko has the most mediocre score, and so wins the game. Congratulations! He
> gets a mediocre standard Trophy.

Oh, really.  This is the most Mediocre example of a Trophy you could ever
come across.  People think that winning subgames should be a big deal, but
here I go, I work for the best part of two months to get something, and
when I do, it finally comes along looking so beat up and mediocre that it
seems barely worth having.  I can't say as I'm very happy with this.

(See Rule 1250.17 for an explanation)
> 
> I am awarding /dev/joe a FairPlay award, for almost winning.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 18:39:30 -0500 (EST)
From: "Michael James" <[email-masked]>
Subject: re acka yorl 

just a question dev/joe, if the story segment of mine was never added how
does the intterupt become successful?, (nothing to interrupt)

- - karma

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 19:47:37 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: YORL (Karma's question)

Karma asked:
> just a question dev/joe, if the story segment of mine was never added how
> does the intterupt become successful?, (nothing to interrupt)

The interrupt is successful because it is a valid interrupt to the play
you attempted and no rule prevents it from being successful.  I admit that
it's a little strange that an interrupt could relate to something not
officially part of the story, but that's how it works; that's how it has
been played before.

In the previous YORL game this situation never came up, but in the playtest
game, it happened more than once -- the first time being during the series
of failures after I played puzzle.  Bascule attempted to play beautiful,
unsuccessfully, and Eer successfully interrupted with death.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 22:27:01 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Word un-association

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> I believe it has been more than three days since Hubert posted less as
> the uh? word and neither Slakko nor /dev/joe have managed to supply a
> link word. Hubert must therefore, IIRC, post eir link word.

I linked "burn" and "less" with "heart."

"Heartburn," and "heartless."

- -Hubert

When the chips are down, the cow is empty. 

------------------------------

End of acka-games-digest V3 #33
*******************************