Subject: acka-games-digest V3 #27
From: [email-masked] (acka-games-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-games-digest      Friday, February 27 1998      Volume 03 : Number 027

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 12:14:47 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Fictionary Round 11

Sorry for the delay in starting this round; I've been busy.  (Mostly
having job interviews, though, which is a Good Thing.)

The Ing word for this round is harmost.  Bluffers, reply to this message
to send me your definitions.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Soundgarden:My Wave
Current Book--Katie Waitman:The Merro Tree
Do not throw cigarettes into the urinal, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 12:49:22 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel: Spades: R1 T11,T12

> > > King of Spades.

> > Jack of Spades

> Nine of Clubs.

Four of Diamonds.

(Again, sorry for the holdup.)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Kate Bush:Lionheart
Current Book--Katie Waitman:The Merro Tree
Stupid == nothing to say, and a worldwide network to say it on.  --billbill

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 12:53:42 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel: Spades: R1 T13

I won the last trick with the King of Spades.

Now, for the lead of the final trick:

Five of Clubs.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 13:03:35 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Go: Round 1 Game 1 completed

The results are in for Round 1 of Single Capture Go.

Moves:

V: Alfvaen: b4
G: The Gingham Wearer: b3
W: Wild Card: c3

Board:

  1 2 3 4 5 6
a . . . . . .
b . . G V . .
c . . W . . .
d . . . . . .
e . . . . . .
f . . . . . .

Please reply with your moves for round 2 (privately of course).

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 15:12:49 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel: Spades: R1 T13

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> I won the last trick with the King of Spades.
> 
> Now, for the lead of the final trick:
> 
> Five of Clubs.

I can't play out of turn, nor can I reveal my cards, but I can state that
this last trick must be mine.  If the Referee wants to verify this, we
won't need to wait for Goldenmean, who probably won't be on for another
eight or nine hours, if then.

- -Hubert

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat? 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 15:14:09 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Game: Word un-association (Start)

I am announcing the start of a game of word un-association. The players
are /dev/joe, Slakko and Hubert (oh, sod the treasure, I know I'll say it
by accident eventually). I am assigning them the following integers:

Slakko 1
/dev/joe 2
Hubert 3

That means that Slakko is the first Linker and /dev/joe and Hubert are
both Confused. The initial word is piano. Slakko must provide an uh? word
sharing a link word with piano.

TGW
Referee.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 15:25:57 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Game: Word un-association (Start)

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> That means that Slakko is the first Linker. 
> The initial word is piano. Slakko must provide an uh? word
> sharing a link word with piano.

The uh? word for this round is man.
Slakko
Linker
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 15:33:01 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Game: Word un-association (Start)

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:
> 
> > That means that Slakko is the first Linker. 
> > The initial word is piano. Slakko must provide an uh? word
> > sharing a link word with piano.
> 
> The uh? word for this round is man.
> Slakko
> Linker

The above is not a valid uh? word, especially if you like Billy Joel.
Therefore the above message was not actually the message announcing the
uh? word.

The uh? word for this round is walk.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 16:14:58 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Game: Word un-association (Start)

Slakko wrote:
> The uh? word for this round is walk.

I'm trying to figure out these crazy rules. It seems to me that Confused
players should be sending their words privately to somebody (probably the
referee) but the rules don't say that, and in fact imply that the Confused
are supposed to post their word publicly, which would be the default way
to do anything anyway.

I suggest that the CSRR (do we have one now?) fix the game rule before we
get too far along.

In any case, I note the easy link from piano to walk with "man".

/dev/joe
Really Confused

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 16:51:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Game: Word un-association (Start)

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> Slakko wrote:
> > The uh? word for this round is walk.
> 
> I'm trying to figure out these crazy rules. It seems to me that Confused
> players should be sending their words privately to somebody (probably the
> referee) but the rules don't say that, and in fact imply that the Confused
> are supposed to post their word publicly, which would be the default way
> to do anything anyway.

I noticed the exact same thing, and in fact my fingers were hovering over
the Ctrl-X buttons to send my message (which contained the same Link Word
as /dev/joe's, that Slakko thoughtfully provided us in his first message)
which pointed out that I think public submission makes the game a bit 
unsporting when I received this one.

> I suggest that the CSRR (do we have one now?) fix the game rule before we
> get too far along.

I agree.  Private submission to the Referee or even the Linker makes much
more sense than public posting, IMHO.

> In any case, I note the easy link from piano to walk with "man".

Also, what exactly defines association?  Being used in phrases or titles
together ("Piano Man" --> "walkman"; "bluebottle" --> "wine bottle")?  Or
simple association ("pupil" in school --> "pupil" in eye; "piano pedal"
- --> "pedal", meaning relating to feet)?  Or a combination of the two (a
"cakewalk" is a song played on the piano)?  I suppose this is, in a way,
like /dev/joe's "degrees of relation" argument regarding YORL interrupts,
and the Referee has a job very similar to the Barkeep's, and also very
subjective into the bargain.

In any case, I, too, give the link word "man" as a safe, albeit
uninteresting, alternative to the above.

- -Hubert

Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film. 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 16:57:57 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Game: Word un-association (Start)

From: Joseph W. DeVincentis <[email-masked]>

> Slakko wrote:
> > The uh? word for this round is walk.

You think you're confused? You ain't got nothing on me. The message I
just got from Slakko read as follows:

"The uh? word for this round is man."

Just what is the uh? word?

> I'm trying to figure out these crazy rules. It seems to me that
Confused
> players should be sending their words privately to somebody (probably
the
> referee) but the rules don't say that, and in fact imply that the
Confused
> are supposed to post their word publicly, which would be the default
way
> to do anything anyway.

Good grief, you don't expect me to create a rule that actually *works* do
you?! Just look at the debacle over the radishes, and the cheeses weren't
bug free either.

> I suggest that the CSRR (do we have one now?) fix the game rule before
we
> get too far along.

We do indeed. 'Tis Vynd.

> In any case, I note the easy link from piano to walk with "man".

Piano man? Now when I got the message I thought I got from Slakko I
didn't see any link from piano to man but now you've said this I'm not
sure. Is there a link? Or is there a link from piano to walk?

> /dev/joe
> Really Confused

TGW, thinking his terms for this game were particularly appropriate.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 18:29:08 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Game: Word Un-association

I think I've finally managed to figure out what's going on in word
un-association (having Slakko submit an invalid word and having my emails
not working right and me receiving them in the wrong order didn't help)
but if you disagree then just say.

I started it off.
Slakko unsuccessfully attempted to announce "man" as the uh? word.
Slakko then announced "walk" as the uh? word.
Hubert and /dev/joe both named "man" as their link word.
The round now ends with Hubert and /dev/joe both gaining one game point.
It is now /dev/joe's turn as linker (although I think e's still confused)
and the word e has to link from is walk.

/dev/joe, over to you.

TGW.

------------------------------

End of acka-games-digest V3 #27
*******************************