Subject: acka-games-digest V3 #13
From: [email-masked] (acka-games-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-games-digest      Friday, February 13 1998      Volume 03 : Number 013

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 01:27:12 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades

> > Since I clearly won the first trick, should I just go on, or do I need
> > to(continue to)wait for the Referee to announce it officially?

> Go on.

Very well.  Sorry about that.  :-)

I lead the second trick with the Ace of Spades.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Philip Glass:Powaqqatsi
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
If I were you, who would be reading this?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 01:58:02 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> > > Since I clearly won the first trick, should I just go on, or do I need
> > > to(continue to)wait for the Referee to announce it officially?
> 
> > Go on.
> 
> Very well.  Sorry about that.  :-)
> 
> I lead the second trick with the Ace of Spades.

I follow with the four of spades, wondering what in the hell possessed
Alfvaen to lead out with 2 Aces.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 02:39:53 -0500 (EST)
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: YORL

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> Erphil gazed down on the scene displayed before him in his icy pool.  The
> giants should have no trouble in achieving their goal.  He was glad he'd
> discovered those image-makers; now he could send two to do the work of
> eight.

Might as well give it a try:

I am interrupting this play with "telepathy."  The scrying pool seems to
operate through some form of telepathy, or, at least, television.  If it
is accepted that this is the case, it is only one term removed from the
play.

In any case, Alfvaen cracked me up completely with the Snowgod, Narf, and 
Lunatic Finger thing.  Good show.

- -rico

Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 06:22:47 -0500 (EST)
From: Joshua Herreshoff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades

> > I lead the second trick with the Ace of Spades.
>
> I follow with the four of spades, wondering what in the hell possessed
> Alfvaen to lead out with 2 Aces.

I'm playing the 5 of spades.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 07:20:34 -0500 (EST)
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Joshua Herreshoff wrote:

> > > I lead the second trick with the Ace of Spades.
> >
> > I follow with the four of spades, wondering what in the hell possessed
> > Alfvaen to lead out with 2 Aces.
> 
> I'm playing the 5 of spades.

I finish with the 2 of spades.  I'm sure Alfvaen has some dastardly trick
(no pun intended) in mind, but we'll see because it's his turn to lead
again now.

- -rico

Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word? 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 09:02:26 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: YORL

> 
> Narf nodded and ducked back into the frozen halls of the Snowgod's
castle.
> 

I'm interrupting with castle.  

Balsamic Dragon

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 11:14:14 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: YORL

> Erphil gazed down on the scene displayed before him in his icy pool.  The
> giants should have no trouble in achieving their goal.  He was glad he'd
> discovered those image-makers; now he could send two to do the work of
> eight.
 [...]
> Narf nodded and ducked back into the frozen halls of the Snowgod's castle.
> 
> Alfvaen plays: snowgod

Alfvaen's play of er, Phil, er, I mean snowgod :-) is accepted and
becomes a loose end.

Slagothor's interrupt of with telepathy is a close call, but I'm going
to reject it.  Just because you can make a really tenuous single link to
something doesn't mean it's a valid interrupt; it should at least be
suggested by the story.  If snowgod was using telepathy he would know
how Sam/Romeo returned and probably also know whether Sam is really Romeo
and has somehow lost his memory, or if he's just a case of mistaken
identity.  Also, Balsamic Dragon had a much better interrupt. (Note
that "castle" wouldn't be a valid *play* for this story segment, but is
a nice interrupt.)

Balsamic Dragon's interrupt with castle is accepted.

Slagothor receives 2 cards and Alfvaen receives one.

It is Balsamic Dragon's turn.

Loose Ends: 3 - cowboy, giants, snowgod
Cards Burned: 8
Cards in Deck: 25

Play Order:
Balsamic Dragon    [7 cards]
Malenkai           [6 cards]
Karma              [8 cards]
Alfvaen            [4 cards]
two-star           [7 cards]
The Gingham Wearer [7 cards]
Slagothor          [8 cards]
Slakko             [7 cards]

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 11:55:05 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades

> I follow with the four of spades, wondering what in the hell possessed
> Alfvaen to lead out with 2 Aces.

Just my strategy.  If it backfires badly, I'll try another one later.
Or maybe I've just been playing too much Hearts recently, but I like to get
the certain tricks out of the way first.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--InXS:New Sensation
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
Care not for an alien, for their textures will go unmapped.  --billbill

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 11:58:40 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades

> > > > I lead the second trick with the Ace of Spades.

> > > I follow with the four of spades, wondering what in the hell possessed
> > > Alfvaen to lead out with 2 Aces.

> > I'm playing the 5 of spades.

> I finish with the 2 of spades.  I'm sure Alfvaen has some dastardly trick
> (no pun intended) in mind, but we'll see because it's his turn to lead
> again now.

As I gather in the cards for the second trick, I toss out...

The Deuce of Clubs.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Robert Plant:Tall Cool One
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
He had to wear something on his wrist or his hand would fall off.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 12:02:31 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: YORL

Erphil waved his mighty arm across the waters, and the image in the pool
began to draw closer to the scene below.  The giants stood, tall and
terrible; Sam, frightened but defiant fingered his pistol; but the ice pool
ignored these, and swiftly focused on the man standing in the shadows of
the building.  Erphil peered closer into the pool, trying to make out his
features which were concealed by the darkness of the Texas night. 
Suddenly, the man looked up straight into Erphil's eyes!  His face was
emaciated, worn, with a stubble of a beard on his chin.  He flashed a huge
grin, with many pointed teeth.  

"Yes,"  he said, "I thought you would pursue your claim, but the boy is
mine."

Erphil growled and sputtered, his face a mask of uncontroled fury.  "It
cannot be you!" he managed to get out between clenched teeth.

"But it _is_ me," said the shadowy figure, and he stepped out of the
darkness into the light of the neon sign hanging in the window of the bar. 

He was dressed in a ratty shirt hanging out of a pair of torn jeans.  He
stood maybe six and a half feet tall, but his frame was practically a
skeleton.  Boney knees poked out through the rips in his jeans and his ribs
were visible even through the thick cotton of his shirt.  

"That boy, Sam, may be half-norseman, but the other half is mine to claim. 
The Navajo sing my praises as the Coyote, but for now you can call me...
the Thin Man."

Balsamic Dragon plays: thin man

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 12:09:57 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> As I gather in the cards for the second trick, I toss out...
> 
> The Deuce of Clubs.

I slap down the King of Clubs.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 12:35:36 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Word Un-association

I'm pretty sure my word un-association game got accepted. Does anyone want
a game? I'll referee.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 12:36:46 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Word Un-association

> I'm pretty sure my word un-association game got accepted. Does anyone want
> a game? I'll referee.

I'll play.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 12:42:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Word Un-association

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> > I'm pretty sure my word un-association game got accepted. Does anyone want
> > a game? I'll referee.
> 
> I'll play.

Count me in.

Slakko,
positively insouciant
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 14:46:17 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Fictionary Round 7?

The word of this round is:

corymb.

Definitions please.

Slakko
your temporary Brainiac

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 14:54:13 -0500 (EST)
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> As I gather in the cards for the second trick, I toss out...
> 
> The Deuce of Clubs.

Hey, you had to lead with that on the first trick!  :-)

- -rico

If guns are outlawed, what will we shoot liberals with? 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 15:35:14 -0500 (EST)
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Word Un-association

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> 
> > > I'm pretty sure my word un-association game got accepted. Does anyone want
> > > a game? I'll referee.
> > 
> > I'll play.
> 
> Count me in.

If there's a, uh, bench left, I'd like to join.

- -rico

<insert funny .sig here>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 16:19:50 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: YORL

> Erphil waved his mighty arm across the waters, and the image in the pool
> began to draw closer to the scene below.  The giants stood, tall and
> terrible; Sam, frightened but defiant fingered his pistol; but the ice
pool
> ignored these, and swiftly focused on the man standing in the shadows of
> the building.  Erphil peered closer into the pool, trying to make out his
> features which were concealed by the darkness of the Texas night. 
> Suddenly, the man looked up straight into Erphil's eyes!  His face was
> emaciated, worn, with a stubble of a beard on his chin.  He flashed a
huge
> grin, with many pointed teeth.  
> 
> "Yes,"  he said, "I thought you would pursue your claim, but the boy is
> mine."
> 
> Erphil growled and sputtered, his face a mask of uncontroled fury.  "It
> cannot be you!" he managed to get out between clenched teeth.
> 
> "But it _is_ me," said the shadowy figure, and he stepped out of the
> darkness into the light of the neon sign hanging in the window of the
bar. 
> 
> 
> He was dressed in a ratty shirt hanging out of a pair of torn jeans.  He
> stood maybe six and a half feet tall, but his frame was practically a
> skeleton.  Boney knees poked out through the rips in his jeans and his
ribs
> were visible even through the thick cotton of his shirt.  
> 
> "That boy, Sam, may be half-norseman, but the other half is mine to
claim. 
> The Navajo sing my praises as the Coyote, but for now you can call me...
> the Thin Man."
> 
> 
> Balsamic Dragon plays: thin man

I am attempting to interrupt with secret identity.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 16:25:59 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: YORL

> "That boy, Sam, may be half-norseman, but the other half is mine to claim. 
> The Navajo sing my praises as the Coyote, but for now you can call me...
> the Thin Man."
> 
> Balsamic Dragon plays: thin man

Balsamic Dragon's play of thin man is accepted.

The Gingham Wearer's interrupt with secret identity is accepted.
Balsamic Dragon receives a card.  It is The Gingham Wearer's turn.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 16:34:33 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: YORL

> Balsamic Dragon's play of thin man is accepted.
> 
> The Gingham Wearer's interrupt with secret identity is accepted.
> Balsamic Dragon receives a card.  It is The Gingham Wearer's turn.
> 
> /dev/joe

I forgot to announce that thin man becomes a loose end, making 4 loose
ends in all now.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 16:51:50 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> > I follow with the four of spades, wondering what in the hell possessed
> > Alfvaen to lead out with 2 Aces.
> 
> Just my strategy.  If it backfires badly, I'll try another one later.
> Or maybe I've just been playing too much Hearts recently, but I like to get
> the certain tricks out of the way first.

Lemmeeseee.  You have the Ace of Spades.  No matter _which_ trick you play
it on, it will win it.  So you throw it out to _lead_ the second trick.
You have been playing too much Hearts.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 18:37:45 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Lantern

Sam swallowed hard. He had no desire to fight the giants. Even one on one
he would be no match for one of the brutes but he definitely did not like
these odds. He kept having to remind himself that only two of them were
real, and could only hope that the giants thought he had been deceived.
That would be his best chance - no, his only chance.

The beasts that only yesterday he would have sworn did not exist were
closing in on him, and as of yet no-one had emerged from the inn to help
him. He was backed up to the door and desperately trying to concoct a plan
when he noticed the two real giants were still lingering at the back. As
the sweat rolled down his brow a thin flicker of a smile crossed his face.
He still had his pistol, even if it did only have one bullet left. He would
allow the holograms to get close to him and then fire at one of the real
ones. With a bit of luck the other one would become angry and chase him.
Sam was fast and would wager he could lose anyone in the nearby woods.

The giants approached and Sam fired his gun. Click. "Damn!" Sam recognised
he was in trouble. He took out his knife and resolved that if he was to die
then he would at least try to take one of them with him. Just then a mob
emerged from the inn, led by the barkeep, and carrying improvised weapons:
broken glasses, a carving knife, pool balls inside socks. Sam much
preferred these odds. Evidently someone else had realised that most of the
giants weren't real, and the mod began to overwhelm the two giants by shear
weight of numbers. One of them was taken out by a red hot poker to the eye
and the other, realising the situation was hopeless, fled.

The barkeep came up to Sam, "You were pretty brave there partner. I've
never seen anyone stand up to one of them there giants before."
"What? You've seen them before", asked Sam.
"Absolutely, and I'm betting we're gonna be in for some trouble..."

The Gingham Wearer plays: poker.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 23:27:46 -0500 (EST)
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Lantern

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, The Gingham Wearer wrote:

> giants weren't real, and the mod began to overwhelm the two giants by shear
> weight of numbers. One of them was taken out by a red hot poker to the eye
> and the other, realising the situation was hopeless, fled.

Looks like the little people won for now...

I attempt to interrupt with "victory."

- -rico

The biggest problem with cigarettes is that they don't cause cancer fast 
enough. 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 23:37:39 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Lantern

Slagothor wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, The Gingham Wearer wrote:
> 
> > giants weren't real, and the mod began to overwhelm the two giants by shear
> > weight of numbers. One of them was taken out by a red hot poker to the eye
> > and the other, realising the situation was hopeless, fled.
> 
> Looks like the little people won for now...
> 
> I attempt to interrupt with "victory."

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

The Gingham Wearer's play of poker is accepted (barely; the story was pushing
the length limit), is burned, and the loose end "giants" is burned (pun not
intended).  The Gingham Wearer receives an ale.

Slagothor's interrupt of "victory" is accepted.  The Gingham Wearer
receives a card.  It is Slagothor's turn.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

End of acka-games-digest V3 #13
*******************************