Subject: acka-games-digest V3 #273
From: [email-masked] (acka-games-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-games-digest     Thursday, February 12 1998     Volume 03 : Number 273

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 02:33:45 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Towsner wrote:

> 1) An ashtray.
> 2) A sponge, found only in the Red Sea.
> 3) A hollow metal tube used for holding cigarettes while smoking.
> 4) Glue obtained from tree sap.
> 5) The stench or high flavor of game or other meat when kept long.
> 6) Wood smoke.

I vote for definition number 3.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
Acka - RuneMaker ChessUmpire Senator Map-Harfer .Nomic - HP(Morpork)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 03:15:46 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: mediocrity round 12 results, round 13 start

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Towsner wrote:

> 3

Why not.  I am calling for a Public Health Emergency to contain the
outbreak of snowgod's Disease that else...if is spreading. 

Count Tabula, do your stuff!

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens', Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa), Graph Theory - CU SFS/RS/STS/Dip
Acka - RuneMaker ChessUmpire Senator Map-Harfer .Nomic - HP(Morpork)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:30:39 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary

> 1) An ashtray.

This one for me please.

TGW

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 14:53:20 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary

> Here are the definitions, in random order.  Breadbox submitted the correct
> definition, so he recieves 4 points and is left out of this part.

> 6) Wood smoke.

I'll go for this one, since nobody else has, and those short definitions
are just the kind of things that dictionaries like to do once in a while.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Twin Peaks:Fire Walk With Me Soundtrack
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
Five big quacking zephyrs jolt my wax bed.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:14:07 -0500 (EST)
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: YORL

Oh well, it would have been cool if that had worked.  I'm not sure I
entirely agree with your standard, but it is yours to set.  (Tho, I can't
help but point out that the rules seem to indicate that the standard for
interrupts should be considerably more lenient than the standard for plays
 . .)  Can I have my two cards, please?

Balsamic Dragon

- ----------
> From: Joseph W. DeVincentis <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Acka: YORL
> Date: Wednesday, February 11, 1998 11:45 AM
> 
> > > In fact, Sam couldn't just _see_ the giants--he could see _through_
them.
> 
> Alfvaen's play of hologram is accepted.
> 
> > I am attempting to interrupt with temple.  You know, the part of your
brain
> > that affects, among other things, your vision and also can give you
> > headaches.
> 
> Balsamic Dragon's interrupt is rejected, and she receives two cards.
> Like Karma's interrupt on the last play, I think this is just too much
> of a stretch.
> 
> A bit of advice to potential interrupters: I think the system I'm
> using to decide that these interrupts are too far from the story
> segment is that they're two levels of indirection away.  If Balsamic
> Dragon's card had been headache, vision, addled, etc. it might be a
> valid play. If Alfvaen had said that Sam felt a headache or he felt
> his brain throbbing, etc. then the interrupt with temple might have
> been valid.  Similarly on Karma's play, if the card had just been
> "small" or if Alfvaen had said Sam felt small against the giants,
> it would have worked, but the link from giants -> small Sam -> pygmy
> was too far to go for an interrupt.
> 
> I did find Balsamic Dragon's use of the card interesting, though.
> 
> /dev/joe
> 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:18:10 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: GAD Round 2

Busy round this time, with almost as many people trying to grab donkeys
as covering their donkeys.  Of course, we still have two or three donkey
admirers out there :)

Now, on to the action:

Vynd was stealthy, and went for Rex Mundi's donkey.  Unfortunately for
Vynd, Rex Mundi had his donkey covered.  Even more unfortunately for
Vynd, else..if was watching closely, and stole his donkey.

Illusion showed his respect for the highest office in Ackanomic by
attempting to grab Slakko's donkey.  Slakko showed his Presidential
wisdom, however, by covering his donkey.

The Gingham Wearer snatched two-star's donkey with his ultra-special
gingham lariat.

Slagothor packed up his blanket, whipped out his lariat, and lassoed Red
Barn's donkey.

Goldenmean got on the board with an accurate lariat throw, stealing
Karma's donkey.

Finally, Bill the pirate king noted that Malenkai was on vacation, and
grabbed his polycyclic donkey.

breadbox, Calvin N Hobbes, /dev/joe, rufus, K 2, and Alfvaen covered
their donkeys.  

In the still-wondering-what-they-should-do category, Device, Guy Fawkes,
and Hachiman stood around admiring their donkeys.

Current Scores:
The Gingham Wearer - 2
Rex Mundi - 1
else..if - 1
Bill the pirate king - 1
Goldenmean - 1
Slagothor - 1
Everyone else - 0

The new improved GAL:
Alfvaen
Bill the pirate king
breadbox
Calvin N Hobbes
Device
/dev/joe
else..if
The Gingham Wearer
Guy Fawkes
Hachiman
Illusion
K 2
Rex Mundi
rufus
Slagothor
Slakko

Reply to this message with your play.  Good luck, Grabbers!

- ------------------
Aaron Keesler
Lotus Notes Administrator
Intranet Administrator
Adtran, Inc.
- ------------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:58:33 -0500 (EST)
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: GAD Round 2

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, AARON KEESLER wrote:

> Slagothor packed up his blanket, whipped out his lariat, and lassoed Red
> Barn's donkey.
> 
> Goldenmean got on the board with an accurate lariat throw, stealing
> Karma's donkey.
> 
> Finally, Bill the pirate king noted that Malenkai was on vacation, and
> grabbed his polycyclic donkey.

Woo-hoo!  Go 'Rangs!  

- -rico

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:04:08 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> > Here are the definitions, in random order.  Breadbox submitted the correct
> > definition, so he recieves 4 points and is left out of this part.
> 
> > 6) Wood smoke.
> 
> I'll go for this one, since nobody else has, and those short definitions
> are just the kind of things that dictionaries like to do once in a while.
> 

I just want to go on record here as saying that, what with his elaborate
explanations of why he is voting for this choice, I think Alfvaen is
sheeping. :)

                                - Vynd

[email-masked]

> 
> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
> Current Album--Twin Peaks:Fire Walk With Me Soundtrack
> Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
> Five big quacking zephyrs jolt my wax bed.
> 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:50:59 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

> I just want to go on record here as saying that, what with his elaborate
> explanations of why he is voting for this choice, I think Alfvaen is
> sheeping. :)

Sure.  When he's the last to vote.  He's gonna sheep.  Oh yeah.
- -- 
Duncan C. "Oh, by the way, I was being sarcastic - Homer" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer "Well, duh!" - Marge

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 18:28:25 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Fictionary

	And for the final scores in round 1:

1) An ashtray.
2) A sponge, found only in the Red Sea.
3) A hollow metal tube used for holding cigarettes while smoking.
4) Glue obtained from tree sap.
5) The stench or high flavor of game or other meat when kept long.
6) Wood smoke.

                    Previous  Definition  Definition   Points  Current
Name                   Score   Authored   Voted for   Received   Score
1. Slakko                  8       4      Alfvaen         1          9
2. The Gingham Wearer      6       6      /dev/joe        1          7
3. Vynd                    0       2      Slakko          0          1
4. Alfvaen                14       3      TGW             2          19
5. /dev/joe                4       1      Alfvaen         1          7
6. breadbox                4       Guessed Correctly      4          10
7. else...if               2            Braniac           2          4

Your go Slakko

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 18:31:23 -0500 (EST)
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: GAD Round 2

> Woo-hoo!  Go 'Rangs!  

I actually noticed that of the six players who actually have a score, 3 are
from the Razor Boomerangs and three are from Klingon. Which, considering we
both have three members (actually, am I right in thinking you have a none
voting member too?) seems quite odd.

TGW, too lazy to type it out in full.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 18:40:39 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: YORL

> Oh well, it would have been cool if that had worked.  I'm not sure I
> entirely agree with your standard, but it is yours to set.  (Tho, I can't
> help but point out that the rules seem to indicate that the standard for
> interrupts should be considerably more lenient than the standard for plays
>  . .)  Can I have my two cards, please?
> 
> Balsamic Dragon

The standard for interrupts *is* more lenient than the standard for plays;
in that you don't get any levels of indirection when making a play.  If
you wanted to use temple to refer to the part of the head in a play, I
would expect you to directly refer to his temples throbbing, rather than
just suggest it by saying he had a headache.  Note where it says the
element on the card played must be actually introduced by the story
segment, not just mentioned.  If it was just reported that giants were
coming, and they weren't actually attacking the building, I wouldn't
have accepted that play.

And I'll get you your two cards right after I send this message.  Sorry
about that.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 18:57:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Rico <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: GAD Round 2

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, The Gingham Wearer wrote:

> I actually noticed that of the six players who actually have a score, 3 are
> from the Razor Boomerangs and three are from Klingon. Which, considering we
> both have three members (actually, am I right in thinking you have a none
> voting member too?) seems quite odd.

Yes, you are right in thinking we have a non-voting player, Hachiman.
Although I think Bill TPK should count as one too.

I suppose, if you think about it, those big curvy things that Klingons
fight with (the actual ST name for which I know I'm soon going to be
deluged with e-mails about) look somewhat like Razor Boomerangs.  Hmmm...

- -rico

It's a mixed-up, muddled-up, shook-up world except for Lola.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 19:20:27 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Towsner wrote:

> 	And for the final scores in round 1:
> 
> 
> 1) An ashtray.
> 2) A sponge, found only in the Red Sea.
> 3) A hollow metal tube used for holding cigarettes while smoking.
> 4) Glue obtained from tree sap.
> 5) The stench or high flavor of game or other meat when kept long.
> 6) Wood smoke.
> 
>                     Previous  Definition  Definition   Points  Current
> Name                   Score   Authored   Voted for   Received   Score
> 1. Slakko                  8       4      Alfvaen         1          9
> 2. The Gingham Wearer      6       6      /dev/joe        1          7
> 3. Vynd                    0       2      Slakko          0          1
> 4. Alfvaen                14       3      TGW             2          19
> 5. /dev/joe                4       1      Alfvaen         1          7
> 6. breadbox                4       Guessed Correctly      4          10
> 7. else...if               2            Braniac           2          4
> 

I can't follow the addition in this chart.  How did alfvaen go from 14 to
19 points if he only gained 2?  How did breadbox go from 4 to 10 if he
only gained 4?  Not to mention my original score of 0 + 0 somehow equals
1.  Did else...if copy this chart from the last round and forget to change
the original scores?

                                  - Vynd

> Your go Slakko
> 
> --
> -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran
> 
> 	<[email-masked]>
> 
> 	Success is the child of audacity.
> 		-Benjamin Disraeli
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 19:26:10 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary

>I can't follow the addition in this chart.  How did alfvaen go from 14 to
>19 points if he only gained 2?  How did breadbox go from 4 to 10 if he
>only gained 4?  Not to mention my original score of 0 + 0 somehow equals
>1.  Did else...if copy this chart from the last round and forget to change
>the original scores?
	You, um, *cough* *cough* misunderstood my chart.  When I said
previous score, I meant from the round BEFORE mine.  So the before score
was two rounds old, and the after was uup to date, so you could get two
rounds worth of score changes in a single chart.  Yeah.

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 22:12:56 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: YORL

Erphil gazed down on the scene displayed before him in his icy pool.  The
giants should have no trouble in achieving their goal.  He was glad he'd
discovered those image-makers; now he could send two to do the work of
eight.

Suddenly he noticed one of the tiny figures near the small building on the
plains.  Him?  What was _he_ doing there?  "Narf!" he roared.

His Right Hand appeared a few second later.  "Yes, Snowgod?"

"What in all the frozen depths of Niflheim is _he_ doing here?  You told me
you'd taken care of him by now!"

The giant peered at the pool, and curled his lip.  "Curse him!  I'll have
Dagny's head for this.  He swore that R--that that one had been buried so
deep it would've taken him millennia to dig his way out!"

"Take no chances this time," Erphil growled.  "Send out the Lunatic
Finger."

Narf nodded and ducked back into the frozen halls of the Snowgod's castle.

Alfvaen plays: snowgod

[And is having fun with this one...]

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Drivin' 'N' Cryin':Whisper Tames The Lion
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
How vexing a fumble to drop a jolly zucchini in the quicksand.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 22:31:41 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Official Bacon Submission

Since I believe the General Equipment submission of the Movie Database
was endorsed successfully, and nobody had any big quibbles with the
rules for Bacon as they stand, I hereby officially submit the following
(delimited by FLATLINER) for the Games & Contests Rule Suite, as a game
called "Bacon":

FLATLINER
[ Bacon is a game inspired by the game variously called "Six Degrees
  of Kevin Bacon" and "Seven Steps To Kevin Bacon", illustrating the
  ubiquity of the actor Kevin Bacon. Consider it an exercise in graph
  theory. ]

General Equipment: Movie Database, Gamepoints as needed

Number of Participants: 2; Referees: 1

Rules:

The game consists of a series of rounds.  At the start of each round, each
player must name an actor or actress(hereafter referred to as an actron),
who has appeared in at least one movie as specified in the Movie Database.
This naming period is over when both players have named an actron,
or three days have passed since the referee announced the start of the
round, whichever comes first; in the latter case, if one player named
an actron and the other did not, then the first player wins the round,
and if neither named an actron then the round is a draw.

After the actrons have been named for a round, each player must attempt
to construct a "Bacon chain" between the two of them.  A Bacon chain
consists of a series of links; each link must consist of the name of a
movie and the names of two actrons who were in the movie.  For a chain
to be valid, adjacent links must have at least one actron in common.
[Thus, the link "Terminator: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton"
followed by the link "Twins: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Danny De Vito"
would be a valid chain; the first link above followed by the link
"Wayne's World: Dana Carvey, Tia Carrere" would not.]  (If there is
ambiguity between two movies or actrons with identical names, it is
up to the referee to determine which is meant in each case, and to
make this information available to both players.)

Each player has three days from the time the naming period ends to send
such a chain to the referee.  After this period ends or Bacon chains
are received from each player, the referee shall post both chains.

If one player thinks that the other player's chain is invalid, then e may
challenge it up to three days after the chains are posted.  The referee
will check each link in the Movie Database, and determine whether the
chain is valid.  Otherwise, a chain will be assumed to valid if it goes
unchallenged for the three days.  (If a player did not submit a Bacon
chain for that round, then eir chain is considered invalid.)

If one player's chain is valid and the other's is invalid, then the
first player wins the round.  If both chains are valid and one
player's chain is shorter than the other(contains fewer links), then
e wins the round.  If neither chain is valid, or both chains are
valid and of equal length, then neither player wins the round.

The winner of a round receives a Gamepoint.

Winning:  The winner of the game shall be the first player to obtain 5
Gamepoints.  The winner shall receive a standard Trophy.  The referee
shall receive A$8 from the Treasury upon conclusion of the game.  If one
player leaves the game, then the remaining player will win the game
immediately by forfeit.

Cheating:  Players may not consult the Movie Database themselves during
the course of a round.
FLATLINER

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Drivin' 'N' Cryin':Whisper Tames The Lion
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
When it winds down, it ticks faster, don't you agree?  --plord

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 22:39:46 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Spades

Since I clearly won the first trick, should I just go on, or do I need
to(continue to)wait for the Referee to announce it officially?

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Gene Loves Jezebel:Discover
Current Book--Michael P. Kube-McDowell:Alternities
Well, how about that--this tagline is about me!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 22:48:54 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: YORL

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> Narf nodded and ducked back into the frozen halls of the Snowgod's castle.
> 
> 
> Alfvaen plays: snowgod
> 
> [And is having fun with this one...]
> 

Heh, I can't help but wonder if this wasn't inspired by the "/dev/joe"
card I submitted for the last game (it was never played).

                                 - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 23:20:10 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Spades

> Since I clearly won the first trick, should I just go on, or do I need
> to(continue to)wait for the Referee to announce it officially?

Go on.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

End of acka-games-digest V3 #273
********************************