Subject: acka-games-digest V2 #248
From: [email-masked] (acka-games-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-games-digest       Sunday, January 18 1998       Volume 02 : Number 248

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 19:16:25 -0000
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Mediocrity round 3 results

In a break with tradition, The Gingham Wearer went first this time, with a
3. rufus, for his first non-random number, played 7, and shortly thereafter
else...if played 6. Alfvaen was next, with another 7, followed by Slakko,
with a 9, and finally Fortunato, with 8.
Goldenmean and /dev/joe once more relied on luck, playing a 12 and a 9
respectively.

So 8 was the most mediocre number, and Fortunato gains 1 Gamepoint. I am
also awarding him a FairPlay award.

The scores are: Goldenmean 1, The Gingham Wearer 1, Fortunato 1, everyone
else 0.

The web page has been updated for round 3.

Round 4 begins now. Reply to play.

Rex Mundi, Referee.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 19:24:57 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Mediocrity round 3 results

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, Gavin M. Doig wrote:

> So 8 was the most mediocre number, and Fortunato gains 1 Gamepoint. I am
> also awarding him a FairPlay award.

Haven't you already awarded The Gingham Wearer a FairPlay award this week?
One per referee per week.
- --
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko the Really Lost Warner Brother - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/
Queens' College -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory -- Cambridge University
Ackanomic - RuneMaker - Chess-Umpire - Map-Harfer - Senator - Swinger

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 19:10:01 -0000
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: *ping*

> > IF AND ONLY IF today is *****y, T******y ** *****t*** *** ** t**
> > ******* ****** *t t* THEN the Machine That Goes *ping* shall go *ping*.
> 
> Wait a second....
> The original post said:
> The truth is," she continued, "IF AND ONLY IF today ** ******,
> ******** ** ********* *** ** *** ******* ****** ** ** THEN the Machine
> 
> is it just me or has "**" become "is" illegally?

Ahh, uh, um. What can I say? Oops! What I meant to post was:

IF AND ONLY IF today ** *****y, T******y ** *****t*** *** ** t** *******
****** *t t* THEN the Machine That Goes *ping* shall go *ping*.

I believe that any player may call for me to be removed from being Scholar.
I'll understand if anyone wishes to do so but request that you don't
(please).

The Gingham Wearer, playing far too many subgames.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 18:58:51 -0000
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Gingham Wearer vs. Alfvaen

> contrivance
> contrivances
> outrival
> outrivaled
> outrivaling
> outrivalled
> outrivalling
> outrivals
> trivalent
> trivalve
> trivalves
> 
> > I may regret this, but...  I protest that "triva" is not found
> > within a word in the Official Dictionary.  (And hopefully I won't
> > feel as foolish as Vynd did with "bbots"...)
> 
> The entity page already says you are silly,  now you can feel foolish as
> well.... ;)

I'm not really sure how to continue from here. The word I was thinking of
was trivalent. Strictly speaking I think everything was done in accordance
with the rules but... If Alfvaen is not satisfied then I would be willing
to restart the duel.

The Gingham Wearer.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 13:18:28 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: The Gingham Wearer vs. Alfvaen

> I'm not really sure how to continue from here. The word I was thinking of
> was trivalent. Strictly speaking I think everything was done in accordance
> with the rules but... If Alfvaen is not satisfied then I would be willing
> to restart the duel.

We might as well play it out to the end, and have a rematch afterwards or
something(a not uncommon practice, actually...).  I know that I choked
on 'triva', and came very close to playing 'trival' except that I couldn't
think of a specific word.  If 'trivalent' is your response to my challenge,
then let two-star verify that it's in the Official Dictionaries.  If it is,
then you probably won fair and square, but the fact that two people posted
possible words before you did might make it seem less than fair...if it
isn't, then it darn well should be, and the Spelling Exchequer should try
to find a Dictionary that has it, and that wouldn't seem fair either.  But
we might as well decide, by the Rules, who won the Duel. 

Besides, I don't think that restarting the Duel is an option.  Unless we'd
like to decide that two-star never officially declared emself Referee, I
suppose...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Indigo Girls:Rites of Passage
Current Book--Charles Dickens:Great Expectations
If you sugarcoat a frog, I'm still not going to put it in my mouth.

------------------------------

End of acka-games-digest V2 #248
********************************