Subject: acka-games-digest V2 #238
From: [email-masked] (acka-games-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-games-digest      Wednesday, January 7 1998      Volume 02 : Number 238

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 00:23:08 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ye Olde Rusty Lantern, one more time.

> Seriously though, that was kind of fun.  I want to know who wrote the card
> "three-headed?"  "infinite" was a pain too.  

I wrote three-headed.  Mohammed wrote infinite.  If
anyone wants the complete list of cards, e-mail me.  I
threw some out that I thought wouldn't play well.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 00:08:16 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ye Olde Rusty Lantern, one more time.

Vynd wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Malenkai wrote:
> > I'll accept this (barely) :-),  The game is over.  /dev/joe has
> > won, and wins the kitty.  He has also found T101, but that doesn't
> > happen until I make the announcement on the main list, as far as I
> > remember the postal code.
> > 
> > Vynd's interrupt then is accepted, but the game was over.  I will
> > propose a fix to this.
> > 
> > Anyone else feel like harfing another round?

I may run a game, *after* my vacation-and-move coming up next week.

> Aagh, NO!  No more!  I've read enough books like this in my free time, now
> I know how they're written.

I guess you noticed that you can string together and halfway-plausible
sequence of plot elements and make a reasonable story.

> Seriously though, that was kind of fun.  I want to know who wrote the card
> "three-headed?"  "infinite" was a pain too.  I also want to know if anyone
> recieved my two favorites out of the cards I wrote, "Ackanomic" and
> "/dev/joe." 

Darn, I didn't get those but they would have been fun. /dev/joe would have
been a truly diabolical character if he had gotten worked into the story. :-)

> All in all, I thought that was a pretty good game, even if
> the story got a little strange at times (I know, I was no help there).
> There was drama at the begining, when I almost managed to use up my cards,
> and struggle towards the end to wrest control away from Alfvaen and from
> /dev/joe (struggle to figure out how to interrupt any of these plays with
> cards like "statue" and "machine gun," that is). 

I think this is one of the problems with the game.  If your cards have
little relation to the story, it can be impossible to interrupt
successfully, and if other players *do* have cards related to the story,
you might never get a turn otherwise.  Furthermore, if you have cards
like "machine gun" and "airplane" and we have the fantasy setting (without
the little dreamtime invention) then getting a turn may not be any good
anyway.

My little run there was difficult; I tried hard to make plays that were
hard to interrupt (note my reuse of already-introduced concepts to
reduce the likelihood that somebody has *another* applicable card to
interrupt with). At the same time, I had to work to introduce whatever
I had on the cards, and this left me no opportunity to close loose ends
(except the new ones introduced... I'm still finding it hard to believe
"seance" was a loose end but "riddle" wasn't. :-)) (happy now? :-))
Thus that hurried ending play, which I was sure would get interrupted.
If I had no length limit or fear of interruption, I would have made
about 10 normal plays to close that out.

Along that run, most times I at least had an idea what my next play
or two would be, but no further.  Amazingly much of that was really
made-up as I went along, which I guess is in the spirit of this game.
Way in the beginning (when I first planned the cave-shovel-sidecar
sequence) I had a long sequence planned, but kept getting interrupted.

If I'm going to run a game, I need to get a deck of story elements
together.  Submissions will be considered. :-)

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 23:15:56 -0800
From: Joshua Herreshoff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Mediocrity

Gavin M. Doig wrote:

> > From: Aaron V. Humphrey <[email-masked]>
> > Date: 06 January 1998 20:09
> >
> >
> > > Anyone want to play mediocrity?

I'd like to play, if possible.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 19:38:00 -0000
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Mediocrity

OK, so far I have Fortunato, rufus, Slakko, The Gingham Wearer, Alfvaen,
/dev/joe, and Goldenmean down as wanting to play.

I'll start in a day or so, so if anyone else wants to play, let me know
soon.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 20:21:17 -0000
From: "The Gingham Wearer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary

So far I have the following wishing to play (other than myself):

Vynd
breadbox
/dev/joe
Slakko
Balsamic Dragon
Alfvaen

I shall start this off in a day or two so anyone else wishing to play
should reply quickly.

The Gingham Wearer.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 11:30:20 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ye Olde Rusty Lantern, one more time.

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Malenkai wrote:

> > Seriously though, that was kind of fun.  I want to know who wrote the card
> > "three-headed?"  "infinite" was a pain too.  
> 
> I wrote three-headed.  Mohammed wrote infinite.  If
> anyone wants the complete list of cards, e-mail me.  I
> threw some out that I thought wouldn't play well.
> 
> Malenkai
> 

Heh heh, I think I know who got ackanomic and /dev/joe then.  I was REALLY
hoping someone would play that last one, too.

                                   - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 16:02:19 -0500
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Mediocrity

>OK, so far I have Fortunato, rufus, Slakko, The Gingham Wearer, Alfvaen,
>/dev/joe, and Goldenmean down as wanting to play.
>
>I'll start in a day or so, so if anyone else wants to play, let me know
>soon.
	Sure, why not.

- --
Omnium pro iure, ius pro omnio

- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	"For there never was yey philosopher
	That could endure the toothache patiently"
	-William Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing, act 5, scene 1

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 16:02:42 -0500
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary

>I shall start this off in a day or two so anyone else wishing to play
>should reply quickly.
	I would

- --
Omnium pro iure, ius pro omnio

- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	"For there never was yey philosopher
	That could endure the toothache patiently"
	-William Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing, act 5, scene 1

------------------------------

End of acka-games-digest V2 #238
********************************