Subject: acka-games-digest V2 #187
From: [email-masked] (acka-games-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-games-digest     Wednesday, November 12 1997     Volume 02 : Number 187

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 07:25:21 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Album guessing

> Malenkai wrote:

> > m********: m******** *********

>   Marillion: Misplaced Childhood.

> One Question. Who the heck is Marillion?

I seem to recall having heard them referred to as "The poor man's Genesis",
probably because the lead vocalist, "Fish", sounds a lot like Peter
Gabriel.  Essentially a British(Scottish, perhaps?)prog-rock band.
"Misplaced Childhood" is pretty good, or at least has a couple of good
songs on it("Kayleigh" and "Lavender").

> who does not expect to have any chance to win here, and is therefore 
> happy to spoil as many as he can.

Much appreciated!  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Marillion:Lavender
Current Book--William Tenn:The Seven Sexes
"But only if the hate desires of copious wish and fishes' sires."  --Lars

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 07:45:03 -0700 (MST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: GAD Round 1

> Both Alfvaen and Fortunato unsuccessfuly attempted to grab Archie Leach's
> poor donkey.

Darn you, Fortunato!

> Thinman successfuly grabbed Alfvaen's friendly donkey.

Darn you, ThinMan!

> Please note that Alfvaen's attempt to protect his donkey using a zombie
> failed because the round had already ended before he tried.  he's welcome
> to try and send his zombie to fetch it back...

Darn you, Mr. Lunatic Zombie!  Or somebody...

> Thanks to breadbox for pointing out that there is a priv version of the
> games list, too bad he won't get a chance to use it. :)  You should be
> able to send moves to me simply by responding to this message.

With a bit of judicious header retyping, you can also respond to this
message on the acka-games list...:-)

> Once
> again, the game is covered by Rule 1213.  I encourage you to send your
> moves in quickly, the length of the rounds seems to be partially at my
> discretion... :)

I always thought that that was just so you could end the round earlier if
everybody send in their moves before three days were up...

Anyway, this is all up on the Grab-A-Donkey web page as well, with even an
email link now.  (And a running total of how many Donkeys each player has
grabbed, for later score calculations...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Queen:Seaside Rendezvous
Current Book--William Tenn:The Seven Sexes
We have just quoted on nine dozen boxes of gray lamp wicks.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 09:49:26 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: GAD Round 1

> > Thinman successfuly grabbed Alfvaen's friendly donkey.
> 
> Darn you, ThinMan!
> 
I couldn't resist.  He was so cute and friendly and pack-animal-ish....

ThinMan
:-)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 12:09:43 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: GAD Round 1

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> > Once
> > again, the game is covered by Rule 1213.  I encourage you to send your
> > moves in quickly, the length of the rounds seems to be partially at my
> > discretion... :)
> 
> I always thought that that was just so you could end the round earlier if
> everybody send in their moves before three days were up...

As is common in our ruleset, the rule tells us how long the round has to
last at a minimum, and how long it can last at a maximum, but not what
would actually cause the round to end before the maximum time limit is
reached.  Considering just how many people are playing GAD, I'm pretty
sure that if I were to try and end a round before 3 days were up, there
would still be some people who hadn't sent in plays.

> 
> Anyway, this is all up on the Grab-A-Donkey web page as well, with even an
> email link now.  (And a running total of how many Donkeys each player has
> grabbed, for later score calculations...)
> 
> 

I knew I forgot something....

                                 - Vynd

[email-masked]

> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
> Song In My Head--Queen:Seaside Rendezvous
> Current Book--William Tenn:The Seven Sexes
> We have just quoted on nine dozen boxes of gray lamp wicks.
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 14:58:22 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: The Machine That Goes *ping*

I didn't sleep well last night, because The Machine kept bothering me
in my dreams.  The Machine has visited my house before, but somehow
despite the fact that I was at Vulcan Headquarters and my house was
somewhere far above/below the surface of Acka, I still knew it was in
my house again.  The constant murmuring noise which I associated with
the machine was in my head, though the machine itself was millions of
cat-heights away.

But last night was different.  Instead of simply imparting to me the
murky, cloaked version of the truth, it first questioned me.  In
particular there was this one complaint:  "Why didn't you post my
truth the last time I came to visit you?  Don't you love me any more?"
I tried to tell it that I'm busier now than I once was, so sometimes
I miss these things.  Besides, you were way up in my house while I
was at Vulcan HQ.  (This was obviously at least part of the reason
it had taken to stronger tactics this time...)  There was another dream
where The Machine was given eyes, and said "Now I See You", but
somehow I think this was a different Machine.

But in the late morning hours it imparted to me what I knew would come,
the Truth.  The Truth *is* out there.  And since some of you are probably
anxiously awaiting the *ping*ing to get more hints on Malenkai's treasure,
I now present the truth:

IF AND ONLY IF today *** **** ** ********* ** ****, ***** ** ****,
THEN The Machine that Goes *ping* shall go *ping*.

/dev/joe
Scholar of *ping* again

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 23:09:06 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Album guessing

> > m********: m******** *********
> 
>   Marillion: Misplaced Childhood.

This guess is worth 1 point.  One thing I forgot to
mention is that your score is only as good as your most
recent guess, so if you guess again, include this 
in that guess if you want the point.  The reason I have to
do this is so that it is fairly easy for me to keep 
score.  A guess really is a list of one or more albums
in a single post.

This guess is good as it points out a couple of technicalities,
one I was clear about, and one I was not.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 23:17:48 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Album guessing

> > One Question. Who the heck is Marillion?
> 
> I seem to recall having heard them referred to as "The poor man's Genesis",
> probably because the lead vocalist, "Fish", sounds a lot like Peter
> Gabriel.  Essentially a British(Scottish, perhaps?)prog-rock band.
> "Misplaced Childhood" is pretty good, or at least has a couple of good
> songs on it("Kayleigh" and "Lavender").

Yes, that has been said, but the real influence, according to Fish, was
Dave Cousins and the Strawbs, who, IMO, are much better to imitate than
Genesis... :)

Malenkai
recommending the Strawbs and Marillion

------------------------------

End of acka-games-digest V2 #187
********************************