Subject: acka-games-digest V2 #171
From: [email-masked] (acka-games-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-games-digest      Thursday, October 9 1997      Volume 02 : Number 171

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 08:36:26 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: YORL play

Malenkai wrote:

> ThinMan played:
> 
> > Play: really big blue thing
> 
> This is accepted and becomes a loose end.  The rules require that
> the card be worked into the story, rather than simply mentioned.
> In order to give ThinMan the benefit of the doubt, the blue thing
> must somehow exist in the story space somewhere.
> 
Thank you.  I would argue that describing a really big blue thing and
telling about what it did does constitute bringing it into the story,
even if it is in a story inside the story.  Its not the same as "As he
walked down the hall, Stutim saw a really big blue shield on the wall."
Don't worry, though, the really big blue thing will have continuing
significance if I have anything to say about it.

> Also, I am ruling that the loose end of "gypsy" is now tied off,
> and ThinMan receives and ale.
> 
Cool!  I wasn't really trying to tie it off, but I guess I did go a
long way towards explaining his origin and implying his purpose.  This
is another guy whom I intend to have a continuing role.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 08:39:44 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: YORL play

Vynd wrote:

[Malenkai wrote:]

> > ThinMan played:
> > 
> > > Play: really big blue thing
> > 
> > This is accepted and becomes a loose end.  The rules require that
> > the card be worked into the story, rather than simply mentioned.
> > In order to give ThinMan the benefit of the doubt, the blue thing
> > must somehow exist in the story space somewhere.
> 
> Well, the big blue thing was presumably the giant three headed god
> being I
> introdcued awhile back.  Curse Thinman for noticing that I failed to
> specify a color!
> 
I was, indeed, thinking specifically about him.  I am not quite sure
that the actual monster that we already saw was indeed the god-being
himself, though.  For that reason, I'm not sure whether the color
matters.  The three-headed beast disappeared too easilly for a
super-powerful being.  And he was a lot smaller than the _really_ big
blue thing, I think.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 11:14:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: YORL play

> Thank you.  I would argue that describing a really big blue thing and
> telling about what it did does constitute bringing it into the story,
> even if it is in a story inside the story.  Its not the same as "As he

  Actually, it didn't do much, really.
  :-)

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
Visit ftp://ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/ and find out about text adventures!
The few, the proud, the ones with no defining characteristic.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 16:44:54 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: YORL play

Red Barn wrote:

> > Thank you.  I would argue that describing a really big blue thing
> and
> > telling about what it did does constitute bringing it into the
> story,
> > even if it is in a story inside the story.  Its not the same as "As
> he
> 
>   Actually, it didn't do much, really.
> 
Hmmmm.  Razed an entire city and devoured the King of the land, thereby
satisfying a prophetic vision.  That seems relatively strong on the
scale of YORL plays.  Compare the plays for "ice,"  "diamond,"
"betrayal," "voices," "teeth," "pitchfork," (especially pitchfork) and
"desk lamp."  The only cause for concern or argument, as far as I can
see, is my assertion about the story-within-a-story thing, but in this
case it was also connected to a previously introduced story element in
the top-level story.

I don't know why I'm arguing, though -- the play was accepted.

ThinMan

------------------------------

End of acka-games-digest V2 #171
********************************