Subject: acka-games-digest V2 #165
From: [email-masked] (acka-games-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-games-digest      Monday, September 29 1997      Volume 02 : Number 165

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 01:15:19 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: YORL play

Voting Gnome is asleep.  He receives a card and
it is Vynd's turn.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 15:23:01 -0400
From: "Vivian Norwood" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: viruses

I'm not sure that it is legal for anyone to take over Alfvaen's spot,
despite his desire to give it to Rex Mundi.  In addition, I'm not sure if
it is legal for mr. cwm to return to the game at this point.  The relevant
rule is shown below.   

During the first ten turns, new players may join the game by
  publicly announcing their intent, if they have not played in this
  instance of Viruses before; each new player gets three Place or
  Infect moves in his first turn instead of the usual one move. If a
  player retires from the game or leaves Ackanomic, while there still
  exist cells infected with that player's virus, a new player may
  join and take that player's virus as his own instead of the usual
  method of starting (but any new player doing so gets only one move
  of any allowed type in his first turn). Despite all the above, if a
  game of Viruses has the maximum number of players then no
  additional players may join.

This seems to me to indicate that a new player may join by one of two
methods, both of which can only be used during the first ten turns.

Please let me know what your opinions are before I post the results of
Round 14.

Balsamic Dragon
Referee

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 15:56:59 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: viruses

> I'm not sure that it is legal for anyone to take over Alfvaen's spot,
> despite his desire to give it to Rex Mundi.  In addition, I'm not sure
> if
> it is legal for mr. cwm to return to the game at this point.  The
> relevant
> rule is shown below.   
> 
> During the first ten turns, new players may join the game by
>   publicly announcing their intent, if they have not played in this
>   instance of Viruses before; each new player gets three Place or
>   Infect moves in his first turn instead of the usual one move. If a
>   player retires from the game or leaves Ackanomic, while there still
>   exist cells infected with that player's virus, a new player may
>   join and take that player's virus as his own instead of the usual
>   method of starting (but any new player doing so gets only one move
>   of any allowed type in his first turn). Despite all the above, if a
>   game of Viruses has the maximum number of players then no
>   additional players may join.
> 
> This seems to me to indicate that a new player may join by one of two
> methods, both of which can only be used during the first ten turns.
> 
> Please let me know what your opinions are before I post the results of
> Round 14.
> 
My opinion is that the above portion of the rule does not forbid
"new" players from taking over the position of an existing player
after turn 10, although it does disallow startups from scratch.  But
that's just my opinion.  I am quite certain, however, that the rule
makes no provision for Alfvaen proactively passing his position to Rex
Mundi or anyone else.  If Rex Mundi asked specifically to take over
Alfvaen's position then that might be allowed, but I don't believe
that Alfvaen can just bestow the position on him.

As for mr cwm, things are a little less clear to me.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 17:08:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: viruses

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Balsamic Dragon wrote:

>I'm not sure that it is legal for anyone to take over Alfvaen's spot,
>despite his desire to give it to Rex Mundi.  In addition, I'm not sure if
>it is legal for mr. cwm to return to the game at this point.

I had assumed not, which explains my lack of move-submitting.

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 17:26:35 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: viruses

> I'm not sure that it is legal for anyone to take over Alfvaen's spot,
> despite his desire to give it to Rex Mundi.  In addition, I'm not sure if
> it is legal for mr. cwm to return to the game at this point.  The relevant
> rule is shown below.   
> 
> During the first ten turns, new players may join the game by
>   publicly announcing their intent, if they have not played in this
>   instance of Viruses before; each new player gets three Place or
>   Infect moves in his first turn instead of the usual one move. If a
>   player retires from the game or leaves Ackanomic, while there still
>   exist cells infected with that player's virus, a new player may
>   join and take that player's virus as his own instead of the usual
>   method of starting (but any new player doing so gets only one move
>   of any allowed type in his first turn). Despite all the above, if a
>   game of Viruses has the maximum number of players then no
>   additional players may join.
> 
> This seems to me to indicate that a new player may join by one of two
> methods, both of which can only be used during the first ten turns.

When I wrote the rule, I intended for the ten turn limit and the restriction
on not having played before to also apply to players taking the place of
retired players. However, I don't think the rule actually says that --
"instead of the usual method" isn't particularly precise in this regard.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

End of acka-games-digest V2 #165
********************************