Subject: acka-games-digest V2 #138
From: [email-masked] (acka-games-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-games-digest      Thursday, August 14 1997      Volume 02 : Number 138

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 09:49:08 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: FW: acka YORL play

Malenkai wrote:

> I always advise people not to use microsoft smtp clients (in my RL
> job,
> anyway), but it seems enevitable that they will take over the world
> someday, so I guess we will have to learn to live with them.  I
> believe
> ThinMan and Techno use microsoft mail clients, and their mail is
> readable
> most of the time :), perhaps you can get pointers from them.
> 
I do use an MS client (Outlook, now, though it used to be Exchange).
I have in the past offered advice about this, which seemed to have
worked when it was implemented.  I am not sure how or why Karma's
configuration is inconsistent, but it is.  Even when he was
configured in such a way that it made most (all?) non-MSers happy, he
wasn't _consistently_ that way.

I will repeat my advice, however, more specifically now that I am
running Outlook myself:

1) Open the address book where you keep your Ackanomic addresses.  For
   each Ackanomic address perform steps (2) through (7):

2) Select the name with your mouse.
3) Click the "Properties" button.
4) On the SMTP-General tab, make sure the "Always send to this
   recipient in Microsoft Exchange rich-text format" checkbox is
   unchecked.
5) Press the "Send Options" button.
6) On the resulting "Internet" tab make sure the "I want to specify the
   format of messages to this recipient" is unchecked.
7) Press the "Ok" buttons until you're back to the lowest level of the
   address book.

In order to help myself put line breaks in the correct places, I have
also configured my Outlook client so that I compose in a fixed-width
font (9pt. Courier New, as a matter of fact) and set the window size
so that the edge of the window is the place to put in the line break
on each line (i.e. 71 9pt Courier New characters fit on each line in
my window).  If you use a proportional font (which you usually do) then 
you have to count characters on every line, which is just plain
unreasonable.

Most important, however, you need to figure out for yourself what you
need to do so that you do this all the time, especially the first part.
I don't know whether you are having difficulties because you are
using multiple computers, using a W95 box shared by multiple people (as
opposed to an NT box where there would be fewer problems), or are
simply inconsistent or even just lacking in technical expertise.  Let
me remind you of or introduce you to an important internet maxim,
however: on the 'net nobody knows whether you're a dog except by your
messages.  Not only what you say, but also how you say and format it.
Karma, you are not showing canine tendencies in particular
notwithstanding your land acquisition), but frankly, you haven't been
putting yourself across in a particularly good light.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 16:14:40 +0100
From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: *ping*

Citizens of acka, I humbly apologize for my tardiness in posting this
message.

Today is Wednesday, the 13th day of August, in the Year of Our Lord
1997, and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today.  Since I
have been Scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 3 times.

Rex Mundi,
Belated Scholar of *ping*

------------------------------

End of acka-games-digest V2 #138
********************************