Subject: Ackanomic Games Digest V2 #124
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Games Digest)
To: acka-games-digest

Ackanomic Games Digest    Wednesday, July 23 1997    Volume 02 : Number 124

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 10:42:40 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Duel 

Malenkai played: suicida
I play nsuicida

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
trapped

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 19:22:07 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel

> Malenkai played: suicida
> I play nsuicida

I challenge on the grounds its not in a word.  That
second dictionary can be weird, though.  I'd feel better
losing that way than playing to this gizz :)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 18:16:14 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel 

>> Malenkai played: suicida
>> I play nsuicida
>
>I challenge on the grounds its not in a word.

Well, I had to make a choice on the fly.  Would I go with quasisuicidal?
Semisuicidal? Antisuicidal? antidisestablishmensuicidialism?  No, I went
with

nonsuicidal

and I fear I am about to lose :)  BTW, I almost challeneged you on "sui"
(is a word) but I think it's abscure ebnought it wouldn't be in any
dictionary we use.  (could the referee check this one too, if he's got the
time -- just for giggles?)

Mr. Lunatic Fringe
prospective loser

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 22:16:52 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel

>  BTW, I almost challeneged you on "sui"

Words of 3 or less characters are safe, I believe.  That OSPD has 
every 3 letter combination that exists in it ;-)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 23:04:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Lantern

Stutim groaned, and tried to sit up.  He couldn't though, seeing as how he
was hog-tied.

Welecta chuckled.  "Ah, you're back with us again, well, with me anyway,
the Princess hasn't been with it for awhile now."

Stutim managed to turn his face away from the wall.  The first thing he
saw was the Princess, still staring at the diamond.  She was drooling.
Next to her was Welecta, in some sort of elaborate, and vaguely sinister,
regalia.  And behind him was...  err...

It was very big, extremely big.  It looked like it was asleep, since it's
eyes were closed, all three of them.  Rather an odd number, since it had
three heads, but there he was pretty sure they were eyes anyway...

Welecta turned to face It.  He bowed low, in the direction of the left
hand head, and exclaimed, "Hail, Zoorgandothram!  The sacred hour
aproaches!  Soon, Solgrai and Rishnet will be re-unified, the Emperor
will be crowned, and then, you shall feast on the weak and unworthy of the
world!"

play: three-headed

                              - Vynd

[email-masked]

Uno!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 22:48:43 -0600 (MDT)
From: "Aaron V. Humphrey" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Duel

> >> Malenkai played: suicida
> >> I play nsuicida
> >
> >I challenge on the grounds its not in a word.
> 
> Well, I had to make a choice on the fly.  Would I go with quasisuicidal?
> Semisuicidal? Antisuicidal? antidisestablishmensuicidialism?  No, I went
> with
> 
> nonsuicidal
> 
> and I fear I am about to lose :)  BTW, I almost challeneged you on "sui"
> (is a word) but I think it's abscure ebnought it wouldn't be in any
> dictionary we use.  (could the referee check this one too, if he's got the
> time -- just for giggles?)

I've never done this before, but I gather that using the Official
Dictionary, the 213,557 word thingy, is satisfactory.  Mr.LF is correct,
"sui" is in fact a word.  (So are "suicidism" and "suicidist"...but _not_,
apparently "suicidal" or "suicide".  Interesting selection of words.
Shoulda brazened it out.  Either that or I'm doing this entirely wrong,
which is entirely possible.)

If I _am_ doing this right, however, "nonsuicidal" is not a word, and
Malenkai has won.  And our Official Dictionary is just perhaps a wee
bit broken in terms of including usable vocabulary.  If not, then let
me know if I should be using something else...

(I just checked the MarlDOOM thing, and it says that "nonsuicidal" and
"sui" are not words, but "suicide" and "suicidal" are.  The verdict is
clear in this case, but in general are we supposed to use the union of the
two, the intersection, one or the other, or what?)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/ ...for now)
Current Album--Corey Hart:Young Man Running
Current Book--Robert Jordan:The Dragon Reborn
Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Games Digest V2 #124
*************************************