Subject: Ackanomic Games Digest V2 #58
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Games Digest)
To: acka-games-digest

Ackanomic Games Digest      Saturday, May 3 1997      Volume 02 : Number 058

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 09:17:15 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: no priv list?

Is there no longer an acka-games-priv mailing list?  According to the
Postmaster's Page, there is one, but Majordomo assures me there is not.  If
there was, then I could maybe keep from making bonehead maneuvers like last
night's...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--Elvis Costello:The Comedians
Current Book--Alistair MacLean:Where Eagles Dare
I was transferred to the Moon--worse pay, better hours.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 11:19:02 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: no priv list?

> Is there no longer an acka-games-priv mailing list?  According to the
> Postmaster's Page, there is one, but Majordomo assures me there is not.  If
> there was, then I could maybe keep from making bonehead maneuvers like last
> night's...

There are acka-priv and acka-games-priv lists, but they are not lists
you can subscribe to.  They use the subscriber lists for ackanomic and
acka-priv.  Digest people get them mixed in with the non -priv messages
for the appropriate lists.

The -priv lists only help prevent snowgod's disease if the person sending
the message which requires a private reply remembers to use the -priv list.
You simply need to watch where your outgoing messages are going before
sending them off.  (I.e., when I send mail in elm, I have gotten in the
habit of always hitting h (for headers) to check where the message is going
and decide if that's where I really want it to go before sending it.)

/dev/joe
Postmaster

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 10:32:34 -0600 (MDT)
From: Aaron Humphrey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: no priv list?

> There are acka-priv and acka-games-priv lists, but they are not lists
> you can subscribe to.  They use the subscriber lists for ackanomic and
> acka-priv.  Digest people get them mixed in with the non -priv messages
> for the appropriate lists.

> The -priv lists only help prevent snowgod's disease if the person sending
> the message which requires a private reply remembers to use the -priv list.
> You simply need to watch where your outgoing messages are going before
> sending them off.  (I.e., when I send mail in elm, I have gotten in the
> habit of always hitting h (for headers) to check where the message is going
> and decide if that's where I really want it to go before sending it.)

Ah, I see.  I certainly hope I'm not coming down with snowgod's
disease...I'll have to be very careful in future.

For games where entries have to be sent privately to the Referee, though,
it might be a good idea for the Referee to post progress reports to
acka-games-priv so that these kind of mistakes don't happen.  (Personally,
I think elm should have a "reply-to-sender" function that overrides the
Reply-To: header, but that's just me, I suppose.  And I don't actually feel
like hacking around in the source code...)

I will attempt to avoid the Infection From Alaska, though, in future.  (And
I will also endeavour to remember to prefix my public messages with "Acka:",
something else I've been lax with...)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.terranet.ab.ca/~aaron/)
Song In My Head--They Might Be Giants:Your Racist Friend
Current Book--Alistair MacLean:Where Eagles Dare
The lab just called...your brain is ready.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 12:46:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: no priv list?

On Fri, 2 May 1997, Aaron Humphrey wrote:

> For games where entries have to be sent privately to the Referee, though,
> it might be a good idea for the Referee to post progress reports to
> acka-games-priv so that these kind of mistakes don't happen.  (Personally,
> I think elm should have a "reply-to-sender" function that overrides the
> Reply-To: header, but that's just me, I suppose.  And I don't actually feel
> like hacking around in the source code...)
> 

That's why God created Pine.

IB
bwg

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 12:22:02 -0700
From: [email-masked] (fnord)
Subject: Acka: *ping*

Today is Friday, the 2nd day of May, in the Year of Our Lord 1997, 
and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today. Since I 
have been scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 1 times.

fnord
Scholar of *ping*

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Games Digest V2 #58
************************************