Subject: Ackanomic Games Digest V2 #9
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Games Digest)
To: acka-games-digest

Ackanomic Games Digest     Monday, March 10 1997     Volume 02 : Number 009

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 08:23:00 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary 

>I am told that I am the current Braniac, though I didn't think so.
>Anyway, supposing that I am, indeed, Braniac, the ing word is
>"encomiast."
>
>ThinMan

My Definition is "One who has a meek, timid, unassertive nature."

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 08:37:17 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fictionary 

>>I am told that I am the current Braniac, though I didn't think so.
>>Anyway, supposing that I am, indeed, Braniac, the ing word is
>>"encomiast."
>>
>>ThinMan
>
>My Definition is "One who has a meek, timid, unassertive nature."
>
>snowgod

I can't believe I just did that.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 09:00:02 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Diplomacy 

A couple of questons:

#1) I just noticed that we are playing the gunboat variant.  Could someone
please explain to me the differences between the gunboat variant and
standard diplomacy?

#2) This might be related to the first... I saw that Italy Made a move to
the Ionian see in the first round.  On the board positions list, though,
NBarf has his fleet listed as being in Naples.  Did I miss something?

#3) Thanks.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 09:16:11 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Grab-A-Donkey 

The Habeous Corpus Memorial Grab-A-Donkey Fiesta is beginning.

The GAL is:

23 Skidoo
Bascule
breadbox
BuzzBee
Calvin N Hobbes
Clairence
/dev/joe
fnord
Idiotboy
Jammer
Lestrade
Ludwig
Malenkai
Mohammed
mr cwm
Panther
Red Barn
Robert Sevin
snowgod
Strider
Swann
Techno
ThinMan
Vynd
You can call me Al

Acceptable moves are:

1) Cover your donkey
2) Grab Another Players Donkey
3) Stand Around Admiring your Donkey (Default)

Aditionaly, "if "A Sheep in Donkeys Clothing" paases, possesion of the
little lamb could have a significant effect on gamepley.  Send you Donkey
Plays to [email-masked].  Make sure the word Donkey is somewhere in the
subject line.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 13:55:21 -0600
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Diplomacy (possible mistake?) 

>#1) I just noticed that we are playing the gunboat variant.  Could someone
>please explain to me the differences between the gunboat variant and
>standard diplomacy?

We are not, in fact, playing the gunboat variant. The gunboat variant is
identical to standard Diplomacy except that the controller of each country
is not known -- you are playing against Russia, not Robert Sevin who is
playing Russia. In our game we know who is controlling each country, so it
is not gunboat.

>#2) This might be related to the first... I saw that Italy Made a move to
>the Ionian see in the first round.  On the board positions list, though,
>NBarf has his fleet listed as being in Naples.  Did I miss something?

As far as I can tell there has been a mistake. Italy ordered his fleet in
Naples into the Ionian, and no one opposed it, so he *should* be in the
Ionian. I might have missed something, but as far as I can tell a mistake
has been made.

>#3) Thanks.

No problem.

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 16:21:04 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Diplomacy 

In a message dated 97-03-09 12:57:41 EST, you write:

> #1) I just noticed that we are playing the gunboat variant.  Could someone
>  please explain to me the differences between the gunboat variant and
>  standard diplomacy?

We are playing neither gunboat nor standard Diplomacy, we are playing Deviant
Diplomacy.  A gunboat game (traditionaly) is a tactical exercise with no
communication between players.  On the judge, gunboat means you communicate,
but have no idea who is playing what country.  CnH just set it up that way on
the judge to make it easier for himself (I presume)
 
>  #2) This might be related to the first... I saw that Italy Made a move to
>  the Ionian see in the first round.  On the board positions list, though,
>  NBarf has his fleet listed as being in Naples.  Did I miss something?

I show fleet in Ionian as well. 
  
>  #3) Thanks.

Je vous en prie

>  snowgod

Narf

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 16:42:25 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka:Diplomacy 

I am missing orders from Strider, Ludwig and CnH.  If they are not submitted
by  1630 Acka time tomorrow, those powers will be NMR.  If turkey goes NMR,
it will be the second consecutive season, and we will be looking for a
replacement.

Gentlemen, please submit orders at your earliest possible convenience.

Narf

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 14:24:54 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Diplomacy 

>In a message dated 97-03-09 12:57:41 EST, you write:
>
>> #1) I just noticed that we are playing the gunboat variant.  Could someone
>>  please explain to me the differences between the gunboat variant and
>>  standard diplomacy?
>
>We are playing neither gunboat nor standard Diplomacy, we are playing Deviant
>Diplomacy.  A gunboat game (traditionaly) is a tactical exercise with no
>communication between players.  On the judge, gunboat means you communicate,
>but have no idea who is playing what country.  CnH just set it up that way on
>the judge to make it easier for himself (I presume)

Okay, got it.

>>  #2) This might be related to the first... I saw that Italy Made a move to
>>  the Ionian see in the first round.  On the board positions list, though,
>>  NBarf has his fleet listed as being in Naples.  Did I miss something?
>
>I show fleet in Ionian as well.

here is what gave me the confusion:

>The final positions are:
>England
>F North Sea
>F Wales
>A Yorkshire
>France
>F Picardy
>A Burgundy
>A Marseilles
>Italy
>A Venice
>A Rome
>F Nap
>Austria
>A Budapest
>A Serbia
>F Albania
>Russia
>F Rumania
>A Galicia
>A Ukraine
>F Gulf of Bothnia

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 18:45:23 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Diplomacy 

Yeah, I went back and checked my mail.  Sorry about the error folks, but the
truth is there should be an Italian fleet in the Ionian, NOT in Naples.

Narf

PS. Thanks to Snowgod for pointing this out.  My MAP was correct, it was my
typing that was in error :)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 18:41:10 -0600 (CST)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Diplomacy & Request for Rules 

>We are playing neither gunboat nor standard Diplomacy, we are playing Deviant
>Diplomacy.

Right. Could I have the rules for that again? Please? Thanks!

>A gunboat game (traditionaly) is a tactical exercise with no
>communication between players.  On the judge, gunboat means you communicate,
>but have no idea who is playing what country.  CnH just set it up that way on
>the judge to make it easier for himself (I presume)

I haven't set up any games on judges for Acka1 actually. I'm doing (typing)
the moves by hand in the file. However, I'm using previous game files I had
as templates. In case you are interested, the template is the game Royale,
running on USEF now. It is a new strange variant, hence the equally strange
deadline date.

>I'm using a program called RealPolitik for my mac (seems you can't get
>MacDip anymore, because it could map AND adjudicate).  Anyway, CnH's mapper
>input works fine with it, so I just wanted to say thanks.

That's right, I forgot about the Mac one. Basically, the input file I'll
send will work for all the programs out there because I'm typing everything
in pure Judge output format.

And... Could someone email me the rules for our game? Thanks again!   :)

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 21:56:36 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Diplomacy & Request for Rules 

Here is a repost of the deviant parameters

> 
> Since Diplomacy is now an official subgame, I am hereby starting the first
> game of AckaDip (my own abbreviation, like it?)
> 
> This will be a Diplomacy game with the following parameters:
> 1. The variant will be "Deviant Diplomacy".  The following rules are in
> effect for Deviant Diplomacy:  Each Build Phase, all players shall submit a
> rule change proposal with their oders.  The rule change has no effect
outside
> the subgame.  After the build phase, all 7 players vote on the proposed
rule
> changes, getting one vote per supply center owned.  A rule change that has
a
> scope beyond the sub game will be ruled void.  The referee has final say in
> making this determination.  The referee will not judge a rules validity
> unless the rule has been passed and a member of the subgame appeals it to
the
> referee.  The rule change takes effect immediately.
> 2. The game will be hand adjudicated, by me.  This rule can not be changed
by
> the players.
> 3. Spring and Fall turn moves will be due 72 hours after the previous phase
> results are posted.  Retreat, Build and Voting orders will be due 24 hours
> after the previous phase results are posted.  There will be a 24 hour grace
> period if moves are not submitted, because my mail server is not always...
> prompt.  A player who does not have moves submitted after the 24 hour grace
> period has expired will NMR (No Move Reported -- all units hold).  If any
> player NMR's twice, e will be removed from the game and the game will be
put
> on hold until a replacement player has been found.  (Note: Avalon Hill's
> rules explain how to handle retreats, builds and disbands in case of NMR,
I'm
> not going to post those rules here.)
> 4.  The first 7 players to privately respond to me will be in the game.
> 

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Games Digest V2 #9
***********************************