Subject: Ackanomic Games Digest V2 #1
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Games Digest)
To: acka-games-digest

Ackanomic Games Digest      Sunday, March 2 1997      Volume 02 : Number 001

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 08:55:22 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Diplomacy 

In a message dated 97-02-28 23:38:09 EST, you write:

> t's a great game. I'm considering buying a copy of Colonial Diplomacy,
>  which is a variant that uses a different map... The problem is that it
costs
>  $50...
>  
>  Robert Sevin
>  

Don't do it, man!  It's a LOUSY variant, IMHO.  Horribly unbalanced, badly
set up... just plain awful

But we need ONE more player for Acka's first Dip game to start.

Narf

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 08:19:40 -0600
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Diplomacy 

>> t's a great game. I'm considering buying a copy of Colonial Diplomacy,
>>  which is a variant that uses a different map... The problem is that it
>costs
>>  $50...
>Don't do it, man!  It's a LOUSY variant, IMHO.  Horribly unbalanced, badly
>set up... just plain awful

You really think so? I've never heard that opinion expressed before. You and
Calvin N Hobbes ought to debate this point, for my edification. :)

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 22:31:24 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka:Diplomacy game starting 

Welcome to Ackanomias first Diplomacy game.

Here are the players and country assignments:

Mr. CWM [email-masked]    Germany
Strider  [email-masked]                        Austria  
Robert Sevin [email-masked]           Russia 
Ludwig  [email-masked]                           Turkey 
Snowgod [email-masked]                       England
CnH [email-masked]                          Italy    
Lestrade [email-masked]                                 France

I've had a request to lengthen negotiation periods.  I won't change anything
without receiving, publicly or privately, the consent of all 7 players.  

If all 7 of you consent, the new diplomacy periods will be no less than 72
hours long, including the periods before builds, retreats, and voting on rule
changes.  For retreats, builds and voting, only I'll post the results sooner
if every player submits their moves earlier.

The following describes the logistics of how I intend to do this, and
contains a section on how to write unambiguous orders:

All diplomacy mail should be sent to [email-masked]

Orders may be written in many different ways and still be considered legit.

Movement can be shown by a -  a -> or a m.  For example, the following are
all legaly written orders.

bur - mun
bur -> mun
bur m mun

If you use another symbol, and it is completely unambiguous to me, I will
allow it.  You are, however, running the risk of trying to guess what is
unambiguous to me.

Support is written with an s, holds are written with an h, and convoys are
written with a c.

Examples:

Tun h   (Tunis holds)
Mar s Bur  (marseilles supports Burgundy holding)
Mar s Bur h (same as above)
Mar s Mun m Bur (Marseilles supports Munich moving to Burgundy)
Mar s Mun - Bur (same as above)
Mar s Mun -> Bur (same as above)
Ech c lon m bre (English channel convoys the army in London to Brest)
Ech c lon - bre (same as above)
Ech c lon -> bre (same as above)

Province abbreviations:
When in doubt, write it out.

I will accept any unambiguous abbreviation.  Liv is ambiguous (could be
Livonia, could be Liverpool) for example.

Even if there is only one possible "correct" interpretation, the move will be
ambiguous.  (ie... Lon m Liv is ambiguous, regardless of the fact that the
army in London can't get to Livonia)  I do this because I like the strategy
of the intentional misorder.

For the record, here are a few I will accept as unambiguous:
Lvn (Livonia)
Lvp (Liverpool)
Nth  (North Sea)
Nao (North Atlantic)
Nwy (Norway)
Nwg (Norwegian Sea)
Naf (North Africa)
Tyl (Tyrolia)
Trl (Tyrolia)
Trn (Tyrhennian Sea)
Tyn (Tyrhennian Sea)

The above list is not exhaustive.

Dual-coasted provinces: 

When building a fleet in StPete, you MUST specifiy which coast it is on.
 Other than that, only when a move is ambiguous do you need to specify the
coast (ie.. Mao m Spa)  should be writtend Mao m Spa (sc) or (nc).  Con m Bul
should be Con m Bul (ec) or (sc)

Proofreading: I won't check the diplomail box until I'm ready to process
orders.  If you want your orders proofread before that, you can send them to
me at [email-masked] and I will be glad to check them for errors for you.
 Please remember to send them to Diplomail as well.

Revising orders: If you send in updates to your orders, please put on a
revision number.  If you don't use a revision number I will use the set of
orders received last.  However, I AM on AOL, and I sometimes get mail
delivered in all sorts of screwy order.

Questions?  If you have any questions, feel free to ask them now.  For those
of you who are new/newish, if you have any specific rules questions, ask now.
 If you want general guidance, ask now (although I would prefer that someone
not involved in this game but who knows how to play answer the questions,
I'll jump in if that doesn't happen.)

Narf

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 23:28:14 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka:Diplomacy game starting 

I probably should have specified this before.

The game has officialy begun.  Orders are due Monday night at 2000 PST, or
2300 EST, unless everyone agrees to the extension, in which case they will be
due Tuesday night at the same time.

Incidentaly  I have a small problem.  While clearing out my HD the other day
to make some room... I inadvertenly deleted some of my old mail, including
the post that had all the parameters for this game.  If someone who has
archives of this discussion list could please send me a copy of it, I'd
appreciate it.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 23:36:49 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Diplomacy 

Sorry... My mistake.  The deadline for submitting the first turn orders is
Tuesday, regardless.

Narf

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 22:39:50 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: urgent, not important

> Narf
	Narf, come to IRC and play lantern!

- --Mohammed
late

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 23:52:19 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: urgent, not important 

I'm here, I'm here!!!

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Games Digest V2 #1
***********************************