Subject: acka-finance-digest V3 #103
From: [email-masked] (acka-finance-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-finance-digest        Friday, June 5 1998        Volume 03 : Number 103

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 08:43:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Otzma: Lay of the Land

> 2 Share My Expenses

>A$ 40 Koxvolio
>A$ 44 JT

> 1 Share Your Income

>A$ 66 JT

> 1 Paratroop

>A$ 30 Koxvolio

> 1 Truthseeker

>A$ 30  Pandora

> 2 Scientist for a Day

>A$ 66 J. M. Bear
>A$ 73 JT

> 1 Art Thief

>A$ 70 Rex Mundi

I Bid A$ 77 on the Art Thief

> 1 Skeleton Key

>A$ 42 J. M. Bear

> 1 Lay Off!

>A$ 20 K 2

> 1 Founder's Boon

>A$ 40 Koxvolio

> 2 Shield

>A$ 30 J. M. Bear
>A$ 33 JT
I Bid A$ 37 on the Shield

> 2 ACME InstaGadget

>A$ 88 Vynd
>A$ 97 K 2

> 1 Felicitous Populi

>A$ 22 JT
I Bid A$ 25 on the Felicitous Populi

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 09:02:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (L'homme a tete de choux)
Subject: Acka: Otzma auctions

I bid A$72 for the OC Scientist for a Day

I bid A$47 for the OC Skeleton Key

I bid A$100 for the OC ACME Instagadget

I bid A$25 for the OC Felicitous Populi

Pandora

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 09:03:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (L'homme a tete de choux)
Subject: Re: Acka: Otzma: Lay of the Land

>> 1 Felicitous Populi
>
>>A$ 22 JT
>I Bid A$ 25 on the Felicitous Populi

I bid A$30 on the OC Felicitous Populi

Pandora

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 09:07:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (L'homme a tete de choux)
Subject: Acka: auction query

When there is more than one type of Otzma Card, does a bid have to be 10%
higher than the *higher* current bid, or is it valid if it is 10% higher than
the *lower* current bid?

I ask because I just bid A$72 for the Scientist for a Day -- turns out it's not
10% higher than either current bid (66 and 72), but say I had pout a bit more
thought into it, would a bid of A$73 have been valid (as 10% higher than the
A$66 bid)???

Either way, I now bid A$80 for the OC Scientist for a Day

Pandora

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 10:17:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: auction query

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, L'homme a tete de choux wrote:

>When there is more than one type of Otzma Card, does a bid have to be 10%
>higher than the *higher* current bid, or is it valid if it is 10% higher than
>the *lower* current bid?
>
>I ask because I just bid A$72 for the Scientist for a Day -- turns out it's not
>10% higher than either current bid (66 and 72), but say I had pout a bit more
>thought into it, would a bid of A$73 have been valid (as 10% higher than the
>A$66 bid)???

Hrm.. I thought A$72 was 10% higher (rounding fractions down) than A$66.
However, I could be wrong, so to be on the safe side,

>Either way, I now bid A$80 for the OC Scientist for a Day

I bid A$88 on the OC scientist for a Day.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 10:42:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (L'homme a tete de choux)
Subject: Re: Acka: auction query

>Hrm.. I thought A$72 was 10% higher (rounding fractions down) than A$66.
>However, I could be wrong, so to be on the safe side,

Well, rule 516 only says the bid must exceed the previous bid by "at least
10%", which suggests to me that any fractions should be rounded up.

Rule 1240.1 says that the cards of a same type are not grouped, but doesn't say
anything that directly answers my original question -- I therefore take it that
I may specify that my hypothetical bid of A$73 was for the particular card that
had received a previous highest bid of A$66, and that would have been a valid
bid.

Pandora

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 10:45:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Tactical retreat

I give my Oztma card tactical retreat to Mr. Tambourine Man.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 10:46:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Otzma: Lay of the Land

>I Bid A$ 77 on the Art Thief
>

I bid 85 A$ on the Art Thief.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 10:48:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: auction query

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, L'homme a tete de choux wrote:

> >Hrm.. I thought A$72 was 10% higher (rounding fractions down) than A$66.
> >However, I could be wrong, so to be on the safe side,
> 
> Well, rule 516 only says the bid must exceed the previous bid by "at least
> 10%", which suggests to me that any fractions should be rounded up.
> 
> Rule 1240.1 says that the cards of a same type are not grouped, but doesn't say
> anything that directly answers my original question -- I therefore take it that
> I may specify that my hypothetical bid of A$73 was for the particular card that
> had received a previous highest bid of A$66, and that would have been a valid
> bid.

The "non grouping" that Rule 1240.1 refers to means that the winner of the
auction for those cards does not receive all of those cards.  However, as
there is only one auction for all the cards of a single type, bids in that
auction must exceed previous bids in that auction by 10% or more.  This is
regardless of how many items will be distributed by that auction.

This is quite reasonable IMHO.  Otherwise you could end up with two people
having bid the same amount, but only one of whom was able to get the
object - example with 2 cards up for auction:

A bids A$20
B bids A$32
C bids A$32 (to only beat the A$20)
D bids A$40

Who gets the 2nd card?  The restriction of having to beat all bids _in
that auction_, not, just for that card, by 10%, avoids these sort of
questions.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 11:18:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (L'homme a tete de choux)
Subject: Re: Acka: auction query

Slakko:
>This is quite reasonable IMHO.  Otherwise you could end up with two people
>having bid the same amount, but only one of whom was able to get the
>object - example with 2 cards up for auction:

Very good point.

>Who gets the 2nd card?  The restriction of having to beat all bids _in
>that auction_, not, just for that card, by 10%, avoids these sort of
>questions.

Well, Rule 516 says that if it is impossible to decide, the person who called
the auction chooses who gets the item in a random fashion.

Pandora

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 22:30:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Ackan Reserve Financial Report

Stock Market News:

Assuming no futher announcements today, the following information will take
affect tomorrow:

	Current Value: 33.2
	Positivity Value:19.6
	Activity Value: 13.6

	Change Today: -1.0
	Change in Positivity: +0.0
	Change in Activity: -1.0
	Percentage Change: -2.9%
	Activities Today: 1

	P-Setting: 0.1
	N-Setting: 0.2
	A-Setting: 0.2
	D-Setting: 0.125

Market News:
	The Ackan Reserve has finally made the long promised reforms,
supported by JT and, in part, by IdiotBoy.  Despite the changes, a dearth
of proposals has prevented the effects of the changes from being felt.

- --
The Ackan Reserve Financial Report
Published by the board of the Ackan Reserve
Coming daily since 1998

	else...if

		ELSE...IF

	Chair, Ackan Reserve

------------------------------

End of acka-finance-digest V3 #103
*********************************