Subject: acka-finance-digest V3 #55
From: [email-masked] (acka-finance-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-finance-digest     Wednesday, April 15 1998     Volume 03 : Number 055

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 00:09:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Wizard

> >> > I bid A$1.
> >> I bid A$2.
> >I bid A$3 on the Plunky Monkey wrench.
> I bid 50 A$.

I bid 56A$

K 2

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:10:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: otzma auction

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> > I am calling a public auction on my otzma card truthseeker, with a minimum bid
> > of 5A$.
> 
> Is this the one you already auctioned twice already, or am I thinking of
> a different Otzma Card Truthseeker?

Tip to Rex: Check the RuneMaker's page before auctioning off cards you
don't have.

The Truthseekers are owned by Fortunato, ThinMan, Hubert, and the shade of
Mr. Lunatic Fringe.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - ex-President/still Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 07:00:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Ian K." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Frobnotzer

> >>The Pyraic Frobnotzer I was building has been completed.  I hereby
> >>declare a public auction for it, starting at A$7.
> >I bid 50 A$.
> I bid 60 A$

I bid the outrageous sum of A$70. Bah!

Koxvolio

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 07:01:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Ian K." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: otzma auction

> I am calling a public auction on my otzma card truthseeker, with a minimum bid
> of 5A$.

I bid A$30. It's not outrageous... yet.

Koxvolio

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 07:01:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Ian K." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Monkey Wrench

> > >> > I bid A$1.
> > >> I bid A$2.
> > >I bid A$3 on the Plunky Monkey wrench.
> > I bid 50 A$.
> I bid 56A$

I bid the outrageous sum of A$70. Bah!

Koxvolio

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 07:25:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: otzma auction

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Ian K. wrote:

> > I am calling a public auction on my otzma card truthseeker, with a minimum bid
> > of 5A$.
> 
> I bid A$30. It's not outrageous... yet.

It's not auctioned - Rex Mundi doesn't have it to give.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - ex-President/still Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 12:42:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ackan Reserve Financial Report

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Towsner wrote:

> Rules and Regulations:
> 	The Board of the Ackan Reserve is considering a comprehensive
> proposal to increase stock trading.  It would include rounding of the
> market's value, a fee on all stocks traded back to the Reserve, and a third
> value to be affected by the number of shares owned and bought.  Two
> additional positions on the Board would be created to oversee the "ballast"
> for the Ownership Value (as was included in the original draft of the stock
> market) and also to authorize stock splits to prevent the market from
> becoming too expensive to buy into.  As usual, comments from the Ackan
> community are requested.  (Does anyone actually read this?  I've never
> received a response to anything I've printed in the ARFR.)

Stock splits will just lead to the positivity value increasing faster.
I suggest that the positivity value changes be modified so that it falls
0.15 per NO vote on a rejected proposal.
Seeing as the YES/NO split is 60/40 for the acceptance/rejection
borderline, a 0.1/0.15 relationship seems equitable and should
theoretically stabilise the positivity value.  Obviously for continuing
slow gains you could pick a smaller amount.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - ex-President/still Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 12:46:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (L'homme a tete de choux)
Subject: Re: acka-finance-digest V3 #54

>>>The Pyraic Frobnotzer I was building has been completed.  I hereby
>>>declare a public auction for it, starting at A$7.
>>>
>>I bid 50 A$.
>
>I bid 60 A$

I bid 90 A$

Pandora

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 13:37:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Trinket Creation

I create thirty-three (a potential one for each current player) trinkets
called "Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden X" where X is replaced
by an integer between one and thirty (I believe this should be sufficient, if
not then I'll just have to go through them all one by one and waste a massive
amount of band-width). Each one is valued at A$1 and has the following
description "On closer inspection it appears to be a piece of fruit." My
reason for this should become apparent later. 

I bury the Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 2 with a treasure
map that looks something like "thus treasure will be found by the first
person to publicly post an attribution to the name of the trinket buried in
this treasure".

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 13:39:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Trinket Creation

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> I create thirty-three (a potential one for each current player) trinkets
> called "Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden X" where X is replaced
> by an integer between one and thirty (I believe this should be sufficient, if
> not then I'll just have to go through them all one by one and waste a massive
> amount of band-width). Each one is valued at A$1 and has the following
> description "On closer inspection it appears to be a piece of fruit." My
> reason for this should become apparent later. 
> 
> I bury the Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 2 with a treasure
> map that looks something like "thus treasure will be found by the first
> person to publicly post an attribution to the name of the trinket buried in
> this treasure".

Red Dwarf - Lister teaching Kryten to lie.
Smee-hee!
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - ex-President/still Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 13:45:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Trinket Creation

> Red Dwarf - Lister teaching Kryten to lie.
> Smee-hee!

Of course, but can you name the episode? (It makes it more interesting that
way).

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 13:47:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Micah Smukler)
Subject: Re: Acka: Trinket Creation

>I create thirty-three (a potential one for each current player) trinkets
>called "Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden X" where X is replaced
>by an integer between one and thirty

Wait a minute...

Am I missing something?

What about the other three?

"You don't understand! *First* I shot the arrows, and *then* I painted the
targets!"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 13:52:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Trinket Creation

> >I create thirty-three (a potential one for each current player) trinkets
> >called "Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden X" where X is
replaced
> >by an integer between one and thirty
> 
> Wait a minute...
> 
> Am I missing something?
> 
> What about the other three?

D'oh! I thwapp myself soundly and create n trinkets called "Small off-duty
Czechoslovakian traffic Warden X" where X is replaced by an integer between
one and thirty-three that will give each trinket a unique name where in is 33
minus the number of such trinkets I currently own.

That should accomplish what I want.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 14:00:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Trinket Creation

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> > Red Dwarf - Lister teaching Kryten to lie.
> > Smee-hee!
> 
> Of course, but can you name the episode? (It makes it more interesting that
> way).

Would it be "White Hole" from Season 4?

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - ex-President/still Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 14:04:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Trinket Creation

Tom Walmsley schrieb:

> I create thirty-three (a potential one for each current player) trinkets
> called "Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden X" where X is replaced
> by an integer between one and thirty (I believe this should be sufficient, if
> not then I'll just have to go through them all one by one and waste a massive
> amount of band-width). Each one is valued at A$1 and has the following
> description "On closer inspection it appears to be a piece of fruit." My
> reason for this should become apparent later.
>
> I bury the Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 2 with a treasure
> map that looks something like "thus treasure will be found by the first
> person to publicly post an attribution to the name of the trinket buried in
> this treasure".
>
> TGW.

Hm... I think the creation succeeds, but the problems start after this. Since
you forget to specify that each number is unique, which is impossible anyway,
the number that X is replaced with for each of the thirty-three trinkets is to be

determined randomly. The officer in charge of random things should do eir
duty now (providing 33 numbers in the range from 1 to 30, inclusive), and
after this and dealing with the forgeries you might not have a Small off-duty
Czechoslovakian traffic warden 2, although there is a large chance that you
have.

J.M. Bear

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 14:07:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Trinket Creation

> > Of course, but can you name the episode? (It makes it more interesting
that
> > way).
> 
> Would it be "White Hole" from Season 4?

Nope, sorry. Right series, wrong episode.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 14:08:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Trinket Creation

> > Wait a minute...
> >
> > Am I missing something?
> >
> > What about the other three?
>
> D'oh! I thwapp myself soundly and create n trinkets called "Small off-duty
> Czechoslovakian traffic Warden X" where X is replaced by an integer between
> one and thirty-three that will give each trinket a unique name where in is 33
> minus the number of such trinkets I currently own.
>
> That should accomplish what I want.
>
> TGW.

You forgot to turn your former Trinkets back into A$... now you have even
more forgeries... *ouch*

J.M. Bear

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 14:24:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Trinket Creation

> > D'oh! I thwapp myself soundly and create n trinkets called "Small
off-duty
> > Czechoslovakian traffic Warden X" where X is replaced by an integer
between
> > one and thirty-three that will give each trinket a unique name where in
is 33
> > minus the number of such trinkets I currently own.
> >
> > That should accomplish what I want.
> 
> You forgot to turn your former Trinkets back into A$... now you have even
> more forgeries... *ouch*

You wouldn't have thought I could mis-spell "n" would you? How was it we
decided mis-spellings worked? Never mind. I certainly wouldn't want to be the
one harfing all this so, to make life easier for Alfvaen and rufus, I destroy
all trinkets I own with "Warden" in the name and then create 33 trinkets each
valued at A$1 and each with the following description: "On closer inspection
it appears to be a piece of fruit." The names of these trinkets are as
follows:

Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 1
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 2
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 3
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 4
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 5
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 6
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 7
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 8
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 9
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 10
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 11
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 12
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 13
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 14
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 15
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 16
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 17
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 18
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 19
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 20
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 21
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 22
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 23
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 24
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 25
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 26
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 27
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 28
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 29
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 30
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 31
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 32
Small off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic Warden 33.

If that doesn't accomplish what I'm actually trying to do then I don't know
what will. And sorry for the BWG.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 14:39:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Trinket Creation

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> > > Of course, but can you name the episode? (It makes it more interesting
> that
> > > way).
> > 
> > Would it be "White Hole" from Season 4?
> 
> Nope, sorry. Right series, wrong episode.

My mistake.  "Camille".

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - ex-President/still Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 14:53:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Trinket Creation

> My mistake.  "Camille".

Indeed. Slakko has found the treasure I buried earlier today if indeed such a
thing exists. The map was "This treasure will be found by whoever TGW says
will find it". If I did manage to bury that treasure then I destroy for A$
the trinket I created today whose name ends with the characters " 2" if such
a thing exists. If I didn't bury the treasure then I gift that self same
trinket to Slakko now.

I think that should just about tie up any thread splits.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 21:36:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Ackan Reserve Financial Report

Daily News:
	In response to else's bailout of K 2, if, else...if's other head,
attempted to unseat else as Chair of the Ackan Reserve.  Accusing else of
"Incompetance, bizzare hiring practices, wide spread graft, [and] acting
consitantly for his own personal gain against the good of the Reserve and
Acka as a whole."  else's attempt to dismiss the attack off-hand failed
when many members of the Board, including Phoebe, the Fat Lady, and the
Voting Gnome, backed if.  In order to fend off the attempt, else has made a
number of concessions to if and his allies, including ending the licensing
agreement with Shell#10 (controlled by else) which printed the Financial
Report and giving control of the Report to a brilliant supported of if.  if
will also replace one of else's partisans as head of the Regulations
committee.
	Asked how he felt, else stated that, "This isn't a withdrawl by me.
This is about letting if handle the incidentals and long term planning for
the Reserve-things like Regulations and the Report, as well as the
Internomic Finance Advisory Committee, which he already headed.  I'm going
to focus more on the day to day things-prices, sales and so on."
	if disagreed, saying that, "This is a victory for all Ackans.  else
will still be responsible for certain small things, but he will no longer
have a selfish reign of terror, taking profit for himself at everyone
else's expense.  No pun intended."  Asked why he accepted the concessions,
he said, "I felt it was best for the people of Acka.  I thought a total
overhaul of the Reserve would be too disruptive."

Rules and Regulations:
	The Board of the Ackan Reserve has followed Slakko's suggestions,
removing stock splits from its planned changes and adopting a plan to alter
the amount the Positivity Value changes by.  It is also considering short
selling, although Ackan Reserve Chair else...if says, "It's a difficult
thing to do without overly burdening the Financier."  It also intends to
divide up payments from sales of stock so that players are not penalized by
otzma cards for selling their stocks as a unit.

By the way, thank you all for you enthusiastic support.  I feel so much
better now:)

Stock Market Information:

Assuming no futher announcements today, the following information will take
affect at 12:12 tomorrow:

	Current Value: 59.03
	Positivity Value: 50.4
	Activity Value: 8.63

	Change Today: +1.1
	Change in Positivity: +1.4
	Change in Activity: -0.3
	Percent Change: +1.9%

	Activities Today: 10

- --
The Ackan Reserve Financial Report
Published by the board of the Ackan Reserve
Coming daily since 1998

	else...if

		ELSE...IF

	Chair, Ackan Reserve

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 21:43:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Stock purchase

I purchase 5 shares of stock

- --JT

------------------------------

End of acka-finance-digest V3 #55
*********************************