Subject: Ackanomic Discussion Digest V2 #29
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Discussion Digest)
To: acka-discuss-digest

Ackanomic Discussion Digest  Thursday, March 27 1997  Volume 02 : Number 029

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 02:44:24 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Electric Potato 

The auction is over, and unless I missed something, I had the high bid at
A$160.  Then again, my life has been a bit topsy turvy latelys (well, more
turvy than topsy) so I may indeed have missed a bid.

Until I hear otherwise however,
Narf -160, electric potato

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 02:52:24 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: acrobot (fwd) 

I take your word for it that I forgot to vote -- my point was that I wasn't
listed as not voting either...

Narf

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:59:40 -0500 (EST)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFCJ 131 (breadbox)

On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Thierry Joffrain wrote:

> >Call for Criminal Judgement 131
> >
> >Robert Sevin has committed a crime.
> 
> Oh come on. This has to be the saddest thing I've seen. Not only is the
> reasoning wrong, Robert Sevin never got two votes it was just incorrectly
> recorded, but that wasn't really Mohammed's fault but mine. I should have
> known how to make the retraction correctly.
> 

Sorry, I'm not trying to take anything out on Robert Sevin or trying to hurt
the game in any way.  I just want to see some resolution regarding the
voting results.  I thought this was the proper way to proceed.

IB

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:51:05 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFCJ 131 (breadbox)

> Statement:
> Robert Sevin has committed a crime.
	This is False.
	I committed a Crime (Malpractice), perhaps, but a player is 
allowed to change eir vote on a proposal, which is what Robert Sevin 
intended and is the way the bot interprets multiple #vote's on the same 
proposal...
	Sorry for the odd sentence structure; I'm usually not up this 
early.  :o)

- -- Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 12:18:33 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Vacation Ends

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, mr cwm wrote:

> To:  Ackanomians
> From: mr cwm
> 
> By this message I return from Vacation.  Normally, I don't return until
> I've caught up on the mail, but I don't want to hold the AckaDip game up.
> Is there anything I ought to check first?
> 

Well, there is some clearly redundant text in the Sinister Alien Abduction
rule.  But /dev/joe seems to be trying to deal with it.

                            - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 13:39:08 -0500 (EST)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Locations

On Fri, 21 Mar 1997, /dev/joe wrote:

>mr cwm is at the Library

I must have lost track of time.  I go home.

- -mr cwm

P.S.  Actually, I think I was already home.  When I pressed the Museum
doorbell and ran, I did not specify where I was going, which put me at
home, I think.  So I stay there.

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 15:56:50 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Straw Poll Results

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
A whole bunch of stuff I deleted, and then this:

> 
> The new structure will look like this:
> ackanomic is for anything except subgame actions
> acka-voting is for proposal and vote result distribution
> acka-finance is for trades, gifts, auctions
> acka-games is for subgame actions
> acka-chess is for party chess
> acka-research is for discussion (and maybe stuff related to proposals)
> 
> 
> Any thoughts on this will be welcome.
> 

How about a list called acka-postalcode where we can send complaints about
the Postal Code, and a list named acka-postalcode-discuss, where we can
only discuss our complaints about the Postal Code?

                              - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 16:05:03 -0500 (EST)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Straw Poll Results

/dev/joe wrote:

> Plan II is the same as the above except don't change the reply-to for
> acka-voting, and the first sentence of the postal code change for
> acka-research says:
>  "acka-research@wilma may only be used for game actions related to
>   current proposals."

I would personally like to see the acka-voting reply-to research.  I get
this one humoungous digest daily with all the important things I need to
keep track of from acka-voting.  Not that I don't value the discussions, but
I'd rather not have them clutter my one daily message.

I guess I could switch to acka-voting-
IB

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 12:41:50 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Straw Poll Results 

>>
>> Any thoughts on this will be welcome.
>>
>
>How about a list called acka-postalcode where we can send complaints about
>the Postal Code, and a list named acka-postalcode-discuss, where we can
>only discuss our complaints about the Postal Code?
>
>
>                              - Vynd
>
>[email-masked]

ROFL!  We have a satarist in our midst.

snowgod
bandwidth wasting on acka-postalcode-discuss-digest

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 12:38:16 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Auctions; Inventor 

>On Sun, 23 Mar 1997, Jason Orendorff wrote:
>> I am building a Bonus Vote Add-On.
>	That was around 10a local time, which means this is done.
>	I am calling a public Auction on this Gadget.  The minimum bid is
>A$ 1.  I bid A$ 75 for it.
>
>-- Mohammed

A$100!

snowgod
snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 16:22:11 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Bot

Right after I typed that previous message I went into my mail directory 
and typed "mv acrobot.new acrobot.old", thus wiping out all the old 
botmail for the past... well, a long time, probably about a month.  
That's a real shame; I was kinda proud of the fact that I knew exactly 
how many messages the bot had handled over its lifetime...

Ah well.  If there's any controversy over botmail in the next week or so,
there's nothing I can do about it.  I know there were a few Tammany bribes
(but no specifics about that; I deliberately don't read the botmail-- just
skim through it to make sure there's nothing in there that was intended
for me) and someone reading the ackadollar....

- -- Mohammed
#ouch

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 16:25:17 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Auctions; Inventor

> A$100!
> 
> snowgod
> snowgod
	Too late.

- -- Mohammed
- -- Mohammed
- -- Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 19:16:54 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 357 Verdict 

In a message dated 97-03-26 11:53:21 EST, you write:

> Yesterday, the gold key ate 7 of Robert Sevin's A$, and the bronze key
>  ate one of ThinMan's processing chips.  I would appreciate it if the
>  bearer of the Goose would track this stuff, as specified in the rules.

The bearer of the Goose is having enough trouble tracking the CFJ's that
determine where each key is....

And since I don't save all my old mail (my HD just ain't that big...) can
some kind hearted sould please send me a list of who has which key, updated
to account for the CFJ's...  And until such time as I've had the goose long
enough to pay it to fly away, I'll track the stuff <sigh>

Narf

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 19:26:10 -0500
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 357 Verdict

Narf wrote:

> can some kind hearted sould please send me a list of who has which
> key, updated to account for the CFJ's...

Robert Sevin: gold
ThinMan: bronze
/dev/joe: chartreuse

silver and purple are buried as treasures.

R222 details the effects of holding the keys.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 20:49:39 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: On CFJ 363 (Let me out!)

/dev/joe wrote:

> The most reasonable assumption is that the commission has 3 days
> after the end of the session to produce and post the list.

There seems to be reasonable game custom to support this.

> I am bribing the Gaoler A$50.  Let me out!

The Gaoler is an ex-president who always threw around "tough on crime"
rhetoric.  I would think if the Gaoler took any bribes, we should
impeach him, especially after that last poem (lol).  Perhaps the Gaoler
should take all money received in bribes and start a public works project, 
like another Tower or a retainer for the Poet Laureate, to ghostwrite 
next month's poem ;-)

Malenkai
heckling the Gaoler

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 23:46:04 -6:00
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: postmasterness

My ISP, Solgate.com was recently purchased by another company and all 
operations were moved to a new building.  Then the new owner lost the 
backbone feed for a couple of days.  It appears that all has been 
corrected now and I would like to be moved back to the regular lists 
and off the digest list.  Thanks....

Techno

> I am exercising my privilege as Postmaster to move Techno 
> ([email-masked]) to the digest versions of all lists he is
> subscribed to which have digest versions.  His mail just started
> bouncing today, because the network to solgate.com has been
> unreachable for 5 days.  (Sigh, that means 5 days until the
> bouncemail box stops getting bounces of his individual messages,
> unless the network opens up first.)
> 
> /dev/joe
> Postmaster
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 20:33:56 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: On CFJ 363 (Let me out!) 

>This would have the session end at Mar 20, 17:13 EST, and the deadline
>for the list being on Mar 23 at that time (putting the senate in contempt
>then).  This would have the deadline on deciding whether to pay the A$100
>fine or go to Gaol end Mar 26 (today) at 17:13 EST, putting me in Gaol
>at that time (now).
>
>Thus, if I am in fact in Gaol now, I am bribing the Gaoler A$50.  Let me out!
>
>/dev/joe
>Gaolbird

 First, I agree with /dev/joe's assesment of the Contempt situation. I'm
still not sure about the customary three day bit, though I imagine it holds
(a case could be made that it doesn't but I'm not going to).

That being said I could take great pleasure in holding /dev/joe in Gaol, as
he once did to me, but I won't.  Instad I'll release him in exchange for
the A$50 he offered to me.  I hope he has learned his lesson :)

I will let any other senator out for A$50 also.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 20:36:36 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC Anomymous Proposals 

>Anyone interested in a rule change that would make the author
>of a proposal unknown until its voting results are released
>(or until it is removed from voting consideration)?  The way
>the rules are written, retractions will still work, but a couple
>of other things may have to be tweaked.
>
>It could add a little spice to game.  Comments?
>
>Malenkai

I'm all for it.  But I think there should be a scoring difference on
anonymous propoosals.  More taken away if it fails (Cowerdice penalty)
More given if it passes (for cowerdice?).

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 20:42:23 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: On CFJ 363 (Let me out!) 

>
>> I am bribing the Gaoler A$50.  Let me out!
>
>The Gaoler is an ex-president who always threw around "tough on crime"
>rhetoric.

I am, and will continue to be tough on crime.  But remember, I also
promised to be fair, and I think this is. /dev/joe does a lot for ackanomic
and he can't do it while in Gaol.  If I didn't free him you guys would say
that I'm the one who made the game crash! :)

>I would think if the Gaoler took any bribes, we should
>impeach him, especially after that last poem (lol).

Oh sure, impeach an officer for following the mandates of his office.  I
see how you all are!  I for one think it was a horrible poem, wriiten in
accordance with the "depressing and awfully written" bit, perhaps even more
so than other poems I have published!

>Perhaps the Gaoler
>should take all money received in bribes and start a public works project,
>like another Tower or a retainer for the Poet Laureate, to ghostwrite
>next month's poem ;-)

That's fair enough.  Well, not the bit about the Poet Laureate.  If you
guys want me to write good poetry, impeach the poet laureate and I'll see
what I can to.  Until then, it's vogon for the likes of you.

I'll take this money and set it aside.  Its going to be used as the prize
in the first Ackanomic chess tournament, with details soon to follow.

snowgod
Gaoler and proud of it
(all in good fun)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 20:42:23 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: On CFJ 363 (Let me out!) 

>
>> I am bribing the Gaoler A$50.  Let me out!
>
>The Gaoler is an ex-president who always threw around "tough on crime"
>rhetoric.

I am, and will continue to be tough on crime.  But remember, I also
promised to be fair, and I think this is. /dev/joe does a lot for ackanomic
and he can't do it while in Gaol.  If I didn't free him you guys would say
that I'm the one who made the game crash! :)

>I would think if the Gaoler took any bribes, we should
>impeach him, especially after that last poem (lol).

Oh sure, impeach an officer for following the mandates of his office.  I
see how you all are!  I for one think it was a horrible poem, wriiten in
accordance with the "depressing and awfully written" bit, perhaps even more
so than other poems I have published!

>Perhaps the Gaoler
>should take all money received in bribes and start a public works project,
>like another Tower or a retainer for the Poet Laureate, to ghostwrite
>next month's poem ;-)

That's fair enough.  Well, not the bit about the Poet Laureate.  If you
guys want me to write good poetry, impeach the poet laureate and I'll see
what I can to.  Until then, it's vogon for the likes of you.

I'll take this money and set it aside.  Its going to be used as the prize
in the first Ackanomic chess tournament, with details soon to follow.

snowgod
Gaoler and proud of it
(all in good fun)

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Discussion Digest V2 #29
*****************************************