Subject: Ackanomic Discussion Digest V2 #17
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Discussion Digest)
To: acka-discuss-digest

Ackanomic Discussion Digest   Monday, March 17 1997   Volume 02 : Number 017

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 00:59:29 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Postal Code Change 102

On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> mr cwm wrote:
> >  I suggest an alteration to the Postal Code as the quickest temporary
> > fix to the Public Voting problem (i.e., declare a list that includes only
> > the Tabulator to be a Public Forum).  That has it's own problems, so I
> > wouldn't recommend it as a permanent solution.  
> 
> OK, as a temporary fix, I am making the following change in the postal code,
> between the === below, effective 3 days from now, if fewer than 2 players
> object.
> ===
> Add to the end:
> 
>   [email-masked] is a public list usable only for submitting votes
>   and proposals to the Tabulator and Promoter, respectively.  Messages
>   sent directly to this list (i.e., not through another mailing list)
>   are public messages only if they perform one of the actions described
>   in the previous sentence.

> 
> /dev/joe
> Remote Postmaster
> 

Well, is this the law of the land now, or what?

                              - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 22:30:54 -0900
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Going on vacation for a while. 

>As you can see I haven't been that audible for a while.
>RL has been frantic, so I'm putting myself on vacation
>for the next two weeks.
>
>Ciao
>Jammer

Noted.  I await your return, and hope that you will soon be enjoying a
marvelous silly vacation hat.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 07:12:01 -0600
From: john duncan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: My votes P1786-98

#vote 1786 p
#vote 1787 p
#vote 1788 n
#vote 1789 n
#vote 1790 p
#vote 1791 n
My fellow Ackanomians, I cast the following unambigious votes:

#vote 1786 p
#vote 1787 p
#vote 1788 n
#vote 1789 n
#vote 1790 p
#vote 1791 n
#vote 1792 y
#vote 1793 p
#vote 1794 y
#vote 1795 y
#vote 1796 n
#vote 1798 y

Lestrade

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 22:14:29 -0600 (CST)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: IRC

>   Come to IRC!  And don't complain about this message :()
	I hereby complain about that message.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 23:17:04 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CotC

snowgod wrote:

> I accept judegment on this CFJ.

Noted.  Verdict due Tuesday evening.

Clerk of the Courts

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 23:55:39 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: End of Cycle 11 (was Acka: Back++)

I don't suppose someone would take pity on me and the other people new to
the game and tell us exactly what is going to happen now that the cycle is
over? =)  I've read the rules, but there's rather a lot of stuff in there
about this, and I've presumably got it all wrong.  Oh, btw, let me be the
first to congratulate Malenkai.

                           - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 00:03:55 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: End of Cycle 11 (was Acka: Back++)

Vynd wrote:
 
> I don't suppose someone would take pity on me and the other people new to
> the game and tell us exactly what is going to happen now that the cycle is
> over? =)  I've read the rules, but there's rather a lot of stuff in there
> about this, and I've presumably got it all wrong.  Oh, btw, let me be the
> first to congratulate Malenkai.

Nothing really happens except what /dev/joe said.  The Commission d'Arts
nominates cool works of art from the past, the scores are reset to
- -15*N where N = number of cycles won, and we keep playing.

BTW, I ask the Cd'A to consider nominating breadbox's win proposal.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 23:40:32 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: End of Cycle 11 (was Acka: Back++)

> I don't suppose someone would take pity on me and the other people new to
> the game and tell us exactly what is going to happen now that the cycle is
> over? =)  I've read the rules, but there's rather a lot of stuff in there
> about this, and I've presumably got it all wrong.

Rule 666 is the main end-of-cycle rule.

Some stuff dealing with Chartreuse Goose Eggs, Right-Handed Grapefruit,
Champion's Cloaks, and Badges of Glory.  These items don't really have much
effect on the game, but are meant to represent past victories, except for
the CGE's, which are given to players with 0 or negative scores at the end
of the previous cycle.  The CGE's can actually be used for a real game
effect, but one which is difficult to make any real use of -- if your score
is greater than 0, the owner of a CGE can use it to set his score to 0.

If less than half the total A$ were in the treasury, there is a tax in
the amount of 20% of all the A$ each player owns and each undead haunts,
except the tax is only 10% for the winner of the cycle.  I don't think
there were quite enough A$ in circulation for this to happen, though.

Each player gets A$ equal to {his score minus his eggplant weight} at
the end of the previous cycle.

All scores are set to zero, except each player who has won a cycle
starts at -15 * N, where N is the number of cycles that player has
won.  This score is called the Eggplant Weight, and each of the
players who has won a cycle gets a Victory Eggplant, which only serves
to ensure that the player can't circumvent this penalty by using the
"Keep 'em in the game" rule, which ordinarily sets a player's score
to 0 if it is below -60, or to 20 if it is exactly -60.

The bond cycle will end as scheduled, but dividends are calculated treating
the eggplant weights as the beginning-of-cycle scores.  (In other words,
scoring this bond cycle before the end of the game cycle doesn't generate
dividends; scoring this bond cycle in the new game cycle does generate
dividends.)

If the cycle that just ended was longer than 30 days, all players
who were on vacation the entire cycle are removed from the game as if they
had quit. (i.e., if they were ever active, they do get undeads;
my records show both 23 Skidoo and Clairence as having been active)

Get out of Gaol Free: all players in Gaol are released -- nobody this time.

The Fat Lady sings for a while (see rule 667).

The Commission d'Arts begins session if it has been at least 60 days since
the last such session began (true this time); the Senators make up this
commission, and they have 7 days to decide on a list of four Silver Moon
candidates.  The players then vote to determine the winner.
The Silver Moon award is given to a work of art from Ackanomic's past;
previous winners have been one of the poems produced for failure of the
Swingers to send all appropriate Party Hall Party greetings, and a wonderful
proof/winning strategy for one of our former Games & Contest games.
(see rule 670)

The seat of Archaeologist (a Scientist office) is transferred to the player
with the highest prime score at the end of the cycle who is not already
a scientist.  259, 202, 117, 110, and 86 are not prime, so the next
score was Narf's 79. (see rule 593)

I think that's it. 

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 00:51:17 -0500
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: End of Cycle 11 (was Acka: Back++)

/dev/joe wrote:

> I don't think enough A$ were in circulation to cause the tax to take
> effect, but the Financier should check this.

Before end of cycle bonuses, A$30,911 was in circulation (less 1134 for
new player), and A$43,371 (plus 1134) was in the treasury.  Of the amount
in the treasury, A$10,217 is haunted.  I will post a final accounting
of the cash after the bonuses have been applied, but no tax was
applied this time.

> The Bond dividends for this cycle are going to be really small, as it
> ends tomorrow at noon EST and the only scoring so far in the new cycle,

I should have the updated bond holdings up within the next hour or two.

> The voting period for fictionary ends at 09:41 EST Mar 16 (tomorrow 
> morning), so it is not too late to vote.

I have today being the 16th, and agree on the end time.

Malenkai

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Discussion Digest V2 #17
*****************************************