Subject: Re: spoon-business: Big Rocks
From: Wonko <[email-masked]>
To: Business Nomic <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 18:27:47 -0500

Quoth Dan,

> 
> I create 399 Big Rocks and toss them onto the Grid.  I will place one Big
> Rock on every unit except for the one I occupy.
> 
> Dan
> 
I remove all Big Rocks from the Grid. I give Dan the attribute "Wierd".

-- 
Wonko
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.

Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 18:30:08 -0500
Subject: Re: spoon-business: Big Rocks
From: Wonko <[email-masked]>
To: Business Nomic <[email-masked]>
Blobman: 1
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Quoth Wonko,

> Quoth Dan,
> 
>> 
>> I create 399 Big Rocks and toss them onto the Grid.  I will place one Big
>> Rock on every unit except for the one I occupy.
>> 
>> Dan
>> 
> I remove all Big Rocks from the Grid. I give Dan the attribute "Wierd".
> 
> 
> 
For that matter, I also remove all Bob's Clones from the Grid.

-- 
Wonko 
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day; set him on fire and he'll be
warm for the rest of his life.

Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 18:48:19 -0500
From: "Donald Whytock" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: spoon-business: Ballot, nweek 6
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

In anticipation of comments like, "Gee, thanks for telling me this when I=
 could still modify my proposal," I apologize now.  Getting 15 email=
 messages at a time, and trying to follow everything that's going on, I=
 sometimes leave off reading certain proposals until the ballot is=
 formed...

>Proposal 290/0: I've Got The Style It Takes (Scoff!)
Yes

>Proposal 291/0: Standard Optional Delimiters (Rob)
No. Biggest reason is that I can't see the characters Rob is offering as=
 delimiters; second biggest is that if Standard Delimiters are totally=
 optional, why are they a rule?  Why not a guideline off the main webpage?=
 Since all they do is say it's permitted to use them, and since it's=
 already been ruled that it's not mandatory to use them, doesn't this=
 amount to creating regulation to unregulate something?

>Proposal 292/2: An Offer You Can't Refuse (Glotmorf)
Yes

>Proposal 302/0: Fixing It Would Be Too Easy (Glotmorf)
Yes

>Proposal 303/1: Watch for Falling Rocks (Glotmorf)
Yes

>Proposal 306/1: Wait, can I take that back? (The Voice)
No.  Bandwidth rationing provides only so many slots for proposals, so if=
 something is totally unviable it only makes sense to reuse the slot.  This=
 rule penalizes someone for a proposal before it's even voted down.

>Proposal 307/1: More Bandwidth Gremlin Revisions (The Voice)
Yes

>Proposal 308/0: Rule by Consent (Dan)
No.  Think about it...if someone performs what's ruled to be an illegal=
 act, e obviously doesn't consent to be governed by the rules, right?=
  Instant player elimination via CFJ.

>Proposal 309/0: Judges make typos too! (Dan)
No.  Leaving "official document" undefined places it in the same category=
 as "game state" and "common sense".

>Proposal 310/1: Help! Help! I'm being repressed! (Wonko)
Yes

>Proposal 311/2: Fixing the PEG (Wonko)
Yes

>Proposal 312/2: I'm Higher on the Food Chain! (Wonko)
No.  Not comfortable with a secondary passive precedence system.

>Proposal 313/3: The Yeti (Wonko)
Yes

>Proposal 314/3: Definitions&Pinball (Wonko)
Yes

>Proposal 315/2: I'm Flying! (Wonko)
Yes

>Proposal 317/0: Cheaters WILL be punished! (Dan)
Yes

>Proposal 319/0: Why? Because I'm a cave man. (Uncle Psychosis)
No.  I'm still not clear why an administrative action shouldn't be=
 effective immediately.

>Proposal 320/1: The only card I need. (Uncle Psychosis)
No.  It's the only victory condition we have right now.

>Proposal 323/0: i said i've got a big stick (Congenital Optimist)
Yes

>Proposal 326/0: The Rat Race (Rob)
No.  Nothing in the rule prevents points from going negative, which means=
 one can theoretically buy an infinite number of GHBs, if one doesn't mind=
 eir points heading toward negative infinity.

>Proposal 327/0: Shields (The Voice)
Yes

>Proposal 328/0: Buttplates (The Voice)
Yes

>Proposal 329/0: Think the CFJ's through, people! (The Voice)
No.  Sometimes rescinding a CFJ is the Honorable Thing and Best for All=
 Concerned.  It should not hurt to do the Honorable Thing.

>Proposal 330/2: The Intercontinental Ballistic Gremlin (Glotmorf)
Yes

>Proposal 331/0: In the Valley of the Drones the One-Eyed Man is Queen=
 (Glotmorf)
Yes

>Proposal 332/1: Are you ready for some football! (Bean)
Yes.  Good effort, guy.

>Proposal 333/0: Sexy Sirens on the Rocks (Scoff!)
Yes.  Look for my upcoming recipe for Siren Pate.

>Proposal 334/0: Justice Administered Piecemeal, Part 2 (Scoff!)
No.  Right now the rule itself is dependent on another rule.  In theory,=
 the other rule could get rescinded; at the moment r128 allows for that=
 possibility.

>Proposal 335/1: Bandwidth Limitation Of A Different Stripe (Scoff!)
No.  No official definition of feet.  After all, if a Player can have an=
 infinite number of Broken Limbs, someone could conceivably assign=
 physiology to proposals. ("You score a critical hit to Bean's proposal's=
 head!")

>Proposal 336/0: Dependent Proposals (Scoff!)
Yes

>Proposal 337/0: nDaysed and nConfused (Scoff!)
Yes

Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 18:56:51 -0500
Subject: spoon-business: Actions
From: Wonko <[email-masked]>
To: Business Nomic <[email-masked]>
Blobman: 1
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I take the following Actions:

1) I throw all Gremlins which are not on the Grid onto the Grid at (1,1).
2) I move all Gremlins to the square (15,9).
3) I move to (15,9) [[from (15,8)]].
4) I remove all Big Rocks and all Bob's Clones from the Grid.
5) I place Big Rocks at (18,14), (16,11), (14,13), (16,15), (5,3), (12,4)
and (11,11).
6) I place Sirens on all Big Rocks on the Grid.
7) I give Dan, Rob, Uncle Psychosis, and Scoff! the attribute 'Burned'.

-- 
Wonko
Stultus est sicut stultus facit.

Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 19:16:05 -0500
Subject: spoon-business: First Proposals of the Nweek!
From: Wonko <[email-masked]>
To: Business Nomic <[email-masked]>
Blobman: 1
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Okay, I submit the follwoing three proposals:

****************************************************************************

First of all, a faster means of movement:
{{
__Run, Run, As Fast As You Can!__

Amend rule 301 to replace the word 'nweek' in the last two paragraphs with
'Step', replace the first word of the second to last paragraph with 'Twice',
and then insert the following paragraph between the third to last and second
to last paragraphs:

'The first 3 days of each nweek are designated as a Step. The 4th, 5th, and
6th ndays of each nweek are designated as a Step. The 7th, 8th, and 9th
ndays of each nweek are designated as a Step.'

Add the following paragraph to the end of rule 301:

'There exist objects called Vehicles. If a player gets a Vehicle, e loses
all other Vehicles e has.'

Create:
{{
__GremiCycles__

There exist Vehicles called GremiCycles. Any player with more than 13 points
may pay 13 points to get a GremiCycle. A player who has a GremiCycle may
make 1 additional Move per Step.
}}

{{
__GremoPlanes__

There exist Vehicles called GremoPlanes. Any player with more than 25 points
may pay 25 points to get a GremoPlane. A player who has a GremoPlane may
make 2 additional Moves per Step.
}}

{{
__The GremliCopter__

There exists a Vehicle called the GremliCopter. Any player with more than 40
points may pay 40 points to take the GremliCopter from the entity which has
it. A player who has the GremliCopter may make 4 additional Moves per Step.
}}

Give the GremliCopter to the Scoring Gremlin.
}}

****************************************************************************

Secondly, something to do with the masses of Gremlins on the Grid:
{{
__Let's Get Ready To GREMBALL!!!!__

Amend the rule created by proposal 330 to replace the sentence 'A Player in
a grid location can throw a Gremlin at another grid location, at a Player in
another grid location, into Limbo or at a Player in Limbo.' with 'A Player
in a grid location can throw a Gremlin at another grid location or at a
Player in another grid location, assuming the target is within 7 units of
the thrower, or into Limbo or at a Player in Limbo.'

Append to rule 301 the sentence 'The distance between two squares is the
square root of (the difference in x-values of the squares squared plus the
difference in y-values of the squares squared)'

Create:
{{
__Hungry Hungry Hippos__

There exist four Passable SOs, called Hungry Hungry Hippos, or Hippos. There
is one at (1,10), one at (11,1), one at (20,11) and one at (10,20). Whenever
a MO occupies a square which is occupied by a Hippo, the Hippo Eats that MO.
When a MO is Eaten by a Hippo, it is teleported to a random vacant square in
the Relocation Zone. The Relocation Zone consists of all squares whose x and
y coordinates are both greater than 5 and less than 15.
}}

{{
__The Game__

There exists a list called the Gremball Roster, or just the Roster. Any
player may put emself on the Roster by declaring so in a Public Forum, in
which case e shall be added to the Roster at the end of that nweek. There
exist two groups of players, called Teams, known as the Red Team and the
Yellow Team. No player on the Roster can be on more than 1 Team. At the
beginning of each nweek, each player on the Roster shall be randomly
assigned to a Team, in such a way so that neither Team outnumbers the other
by more than 1 player.

If a player who is holding a Gremlin is Eaten by a Hippo, e and all players
on eir team gain 2 points, and e loses possession of that Gremlin before
being teleported by the Hippo.
}}

{{
__Magnets__

There exist objects called Magnets. Any player who does not have a Magnet
may buy one for 7 points. If a player with a Magnet is within 3 squares of a
player who holds a Gremlin, the player with a Magnet may Seize the other
player's Gremlin, in which case the Gremlin moves to the location and into
the possession of the Seizing player.
}}
}}

****************************************************************************

And finally, back from the Grave, Administrative Abilities!
{{
__Broadening Horizons__

Create a new rule as follows:

{{
__A Little Fun For Everyone__

The Administrator may make proposals as though e were a player. The
Administrator shall not be subject to Bandwidth Rationing, or any other
means of limiting the number or type of proposals which may be made.
Instead, the Administrator shall be limited to one proposal per nweek.
[[ Just so things don't get out of control... ]]

If the Administrator gains or loses points as a result of any change in
the game state, including but not limited to the passage or failure of
proposals, those points shall instead be awarded to/taken from the Scoring
Gremlin.
}}

Amend rule 296 to replace the number 30 with 20, replace the words ' or the
player with the lowest score has at most 10 fewer points than any other
player,' with ' or the Scoring Gremlin has no Points,', add the words 'with
a nonzero score and the Scoring Gremlin has at least 5 points,' after the
words 'other player' in the last sentence, replace 'fewest points' with
'lowest score' in the 2nd sentence, then replace 'lowest score' with 'lowest
nonzero score' everywhere it occurs.

[[If I did this right, it will end up looking like this:
"There exists a Gremlin known as the Scoring Gremlin. Whenever a proposal is
recognized, if the Scoring Gremlin is Active, it shall award the player with
the lowest nonzero score 1 point. If at any time multiple players are tied
for the lowest nonzero score, or the Scoring Gremlin has no Points, the
Scoring Gremlin shall go into Hiding. If the player with the lowest nonzero
score has at least 20 fewer points than any other player with a nonzero
score and the Scoring Gremlin has at least 5 points, the Scoring Gremlin
shall become Active."
]]

Finally, add the following:

"Players may give points to the Scoring Gremlin in the same manner as
giving points to other players. [[ It's like charity, only different. ]]

The Scoring Gremlin initially has 100 Points. This paragraph shall then be
deleted from the rules [[ for cleanliness ]].'

}}

****************************************************************************

-- 
Wonko
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit.

Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 02:00:38 +0000 (GMT)
From: "David E. Smith" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: The Daily Recognizer (Friday evening)
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Wow, the fun never ends! Here goes the most recent fifty messages from my
mailbox...

If Bean left, e rejoins the game.
Bean's "Nobody resigned" CFJ is 340, assigned to Dan.
Bean has Judged CFJ 321. Yay.

Big Rocks don't yet exist, so I'm going to hold off on dropping 399 of 'em
on The Grid. (I'm also going to wait until some of the other ugliness is
sorted out.) (Later: Ooh, someone removed 'em all anyway. And the Bob's
Clones. Good. I really didn't want to be sitting at the keyboard for like
three hours adding "Bob's Clone. Big Rock." to every cell in the Grid.)

If e left, The Voice rejoins.

This is where it gets all twisty, in a "Secret Wars" kinda way...

For the time being, I'm going to call "the thread where everyone resigned"
as Nomic Alpha, "the thread where I beat that down" as Nomic Beta, and
"the thread where Scoff! rescinded eir actions" as Nomic Delta.

In Nomic Alpha, The Voice has judged Bean's above CFJ (340) to be TRUE,
(since e was, in fact, the only legal judge, I would have been forced to
assign that CFJ to em) and everyone has rejoined, since they never left.

In Nomic Beta, that CFJ is still assigned to Dan, even though since they
never left, the judgment is moot.

Nomic Delta is a bit more complicated - can e actually rescind that
action?

Fortunately, if we allow for the brief conceit that e can, in fact,
rescind that action, all three threads twist back into one rather nicely.

And now we continue with the wonderful world of "threads where Rule 10
has/has not been repealed." :-)

The Baron's "UIN has Denied the Undeniable Sushi" CFJ is 341, assigned to
Wonko.

The Voice's "Precedents, Schmrecedents" is not recognized - it's still
nweek 6, and you're out of proposals.

Glotmorf paints Scoff! blue; Scoff! promptly cleans emself off.

Rob revises 339 (339/1) by giving it that obscenely long title.

The new version of "Are you ready for some football!" is 342/0.
"Just a little bit..." is 343/0.

Here's how I'm dealing with Wonko's latest set of actions:
* Fine. Throw all the Gremlins on the Grid. For the time being, though,
since Big Rocks, Sirens, and the attribute 'Burned' don't yet exist, those
actions aren't happening.
* My logic: As of right now, the proposals that create the above are
likely to pass, and these meaningless, unregulated actions could be
confused with the true game state (after those terms acquire a specific
meaning).
* Your move will be recognized at the end of the nweek.
* Should the above proposals fail, yeah, I'll drop those things on the
Grid for you. (Please remind me if I forget.) Since they won't mean
anything, well, no harm, no foul.

(Aside: What if someone drops a Big Rock on a location that contains a
Shiny or Scary? Does the Rock score 25 points and teleport randomly?)

Wonko's proposals are not recognized - you're out of 'em for this nweek.
Try again in a couple days.

Baron von Skippy declares a Gender and enters The Grid.

If you haven't voted, please do your civic duty and VOTE. Voting is in
progress for about a day (it closes at the end of 2 Feb, Nomic Standard
Time - 6 PM central, 4 PM pacific, you know this speech by now.)

...dave

---- David E. Smith, POB 515045, St. Louis MO 63151
http://www.technopagan.org/    http://metadave.net/
http://www.bureau42.com/       http://whatIsay.com/

"Use anger to throw them into disarray." -- Sun Tzu

Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 22:07:30 -0500
From: "Donald Whytock" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Lest I forget
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Since it seems to be the In thing to do...In case I resigned, I'm rejoining=
 the game.

						Glotmorf

Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 10:05:27 +0000 (GMT)
From: "David E. Smith" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Do Your Civic Duty -- Jury Duty!
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

There's a big stack of open CFJs, and a couple of 'em have timed out or
otherwise need to be reassigned. So, here goes:

Even though it's arguably a moot point, as one of the players involved
isn't even a player any longer, CFJ 280 is reassigned to Wonko.  (Since
Joerg, the former Judge, isn't playing any longer, I can't really dock em
ten points or add em to the LMJ.)

CFJ 318 is reassigned to Uncle Psychosis.

Here's my list of open CFJs and due dates:

CFJ 280 (assigned to Wonko, due by 9 Feb)
CFJ 318 (assigned to Uncle Psychosis, due by 9 Feb)
CFJ 322 (assigned to Antonio, due by 5 Feb)
CFJ 324 (assigned to Baron, due by 6 Feb)
CFJ 325 (assigned to Scoff!, due by 6 Feb)
CFJ 338 (assigned to Congenital Optimist, due by 7 Feb)
CFJ 340 (assigned to Dan, due by 9 Feb)
CFJ 341 (assigned to Wonko, due by 9 Feb)

...dave

---- David E. Smith, POB 515045, St. Louis MO 63151
http://www.technopagan.org/    http://metadave.net/
http://www.bureau42.com/       http://whatIsay.com/

"Use anger to throw them into disarray." -- Sun Tzu

Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 10:36:37 -0500
Subject: spoon-business: CFJs
From: Wonko <[email-masked]>
To: Business Nomic <[email-masked]>
Blobman: 1
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

CFJ 280 (Judge: Wonko)
CFJ by Uncle Psychosis

Statement: Uncle Psychosis's did not succeed in giving gritter 3 points.

Rule 152 states "Changes to the state of the game may only be made via a
Proposal or via an Action which is permitted by the Rules.". Rule 213 states
"The player who has the Cursed Sushi of Babel may not post any message to a
public Forum (such as the "spoon-business" list) without first taking these
steps:", followed by a number of steps. I did not follow these steps in the
message by which I attempted to transfer those points, and therefore rule
152 prevented them from being transferred.

Judgement: TRUE

Analysis: See Uin's logic above.

CFJ 341 (Judge: Wonko)
CFJ by Baron von Skippy

Statement: Uncle Psychosis has Denied the Undeniable Sushi and should be
given 4 more ndays with said Sushi and be fined 35 points.

Analysis: According to Rule 213/2, the player with the Sushi /must/
translate and retranslate eir messages, either Eng-Korean-Eng,
Eng-German-French-Eng, or through Pig Latin. Uncle Psychosis did none of
these in 7 recent messages, despite my action of giving em the Sushi being
publicly recognized. Each breach carries a one-day penalty (no more than 4
total) and a 5-point fine.

Judgment: FALSE

Analysis: The Sushi Rule forbids people to post un-screwed messages to
Public Forums. It says nothing about private Forums. In a message on Dec. 5,
the admin wrote:
(Joel agreed to let me use spoon-business as the public forum.)
The use of the word 'the' implies that spoon-business is not merely 'a'
public forum but the only public forum. Since the admin has taken no action
since then designating other forums as Public, I must conclude that messages
to spoon-discuss are immune to Sushi. However, I would reccommend that
people vote for my proposal to declare all forums private unless otherwise
designated, so that future Judges don't have to look back through hundreds
of records to find an answer.

About my previous proposals: Sorry, I thought the nweek ended yesterday.
I'll resubmit all of those tommorrow.

-- 
Wonko
In vita priore ego imperator Romanus fui.

Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 16:05:37 -0600
From: "Karin L. Kross" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: spoon-business: Ballot, nweek 6
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

YEA > Proposal 290/0: I've Got The Style It Takes (Scoff!)
YES > Proposal 291/0: Standard Optional Delimiters (Rob)
YES > Proposal 292/2: An Offer You Can't Refuse (Glotmorf)
YES > Proposal 302/0: Fixing It Would Be Too Easy (Glotmorf)
YES > Proposal 303/1: Watch for Falling Rocks (Glotmorf)
NO > Proposal 306/1: Wait, can I take that back? (The Voice)
NO > Proposal 307/1: More Bandwidth Gremlin Revisions (The Voice)
YES > Proposal 308/0: Rule by Consent (Dan)
YES > Proposal 309/0: Judges make typos too! (Dan)
YES > Proposal 310/1: Help! Help! I'm being repressed! (Wonko)
NO > Proposal 311/2: Fixing the PEG (Wonko)
YES > Proposal 312/2: I'm Higher on the Food Chain! (Wonko)
YES > Proposal 313/3: The Yeti (Wonko)
YES > Proposal 314/3: Definitions&Pinball (Wonko)
NO > Proposal 315/2: I'm Flying! (Wonko)
NO > Proposal 317/0: Cheaters WILL be punished! (Dan)
NO > Proposal 319/0: Why? Because I'm a cave man. (Uncle Psychosis)
NO > Proposal 320/1: The only card I need. (Uncle Psychosis)
YES > Proposal 323/0: i said i've got a big stick (Congenital Optimist)
YES > Proposal 326/0: The Rat Race (Rob)
YES > Proposal 327/0: Shields (The Voice)
YES > Proposal 328/0: Buttplates (The Voice)
YES > Proposal 329/0: Think the CFJ's through, people! (The Voice)
YES > Proposal 330/2: The Intercontinental Ballistic Gremlin (Glotmorf)
NO > Proposal 331/0: In the Valley of the Drones the One-Eyed Man is
Queen                (Glotmorf)
ABSTAIN > Proposal 332/1: Are you ready for some football! (Bean)
YEA > Proposal 333/0: Sexy Sirens on the Rocks (Scoff!)
YEA > Proposal 334/0: Justice Administered Piecemeal, Part 2 (Scoff!)
YEA > Proposal 335/1: Bandwidth Limitation Of A Different Stripe (Scoff!)
YEA > Proposal 336/0: Dependent Proposals (Scoff!)
YEA > Proposal 337/0: nDaysed and nConfused (Scoff!)

Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 02:06:52 -0500
From: "Donald Whytock" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: new proposal: ptime
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Has anyone noticed that we still don't have a paradox resolution rule?  Or=
 maybe it's just me...

{{ _The Pause that Refreshes_

Create a new rule:

{{ _Paradox_

There exists an entity known as the Pause.  The Pause shall consist of one=
 number, representing pdays.  The Pause is initially Inactive.

If the Pause is Active, then at 00:00:00 UTC, the number of pdays on the=
 Pause shall increase by one.

If a CFJ claims a paradox exists in the game, and this CFJ is judged to be=
 True, the
following steps of the Refresh Process are followed:

1. The Clock is turned Off.

2. A Win is awarded to the Player who submitted the CFJ.

3. The Pause is Activated and set to 0 (zero).

4. Players and the Administrator each optionally submit a single Refresh=
 Proposal, which is a Proposal for changing the game state to resolve the=
 paradox.

5. When the Pause reaches 5, the Refresh Proposals are gathered into a=
 Ballot.  Each Player, along with the Administrator, casts a single vote in=
 favor of one of the Refresh Proposals on the Ballot.

6. When the Pause reaches 7, the votes are gathered and tabulated.  If a=
 single Refresh Proposal has received a majority of the votes, the Refresh=
 Proposal is implemented, the Pause is Inactivated, the Clock is turned On,=
 and the Refresh Process ends.  Otherwise, the Refresh Process continues=
 with Step 7.

7. The Refresh Proposals that are tied for a majority of votes are gathered=
 into a second Ballot.  Each Player, along with the Administrator, casts a=
 single vote in favor of one of the Refresh Proposals on the second Ballot.

8. When the Pause reaches 9, the votes on the second Ballot are gathered=
 and tabulated.  If a single Refresh Proposal has received a majority of=
 these votes, it is selected to be implemented; otherwise the Administrator=
 selects the Refresh Proposal to be implemented.

9. The selected Refresh Proposal is implemented, the Pause is Inactivated,=
 the Clock is turned On, and the Refresh Process ends.

}}

}}

This is just off the top of my head.  I'm completely open to suggestions=
 that don't involve giving you my bank account number.

						Glotmorf

Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 10:47:42 +0000 (GMT)
From: "David E. Smith" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: nweek 6 results
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

One thing that's on my mind before I get to all the real vote-counting
stuff: When (not if) I make a mistake, please remember that you can always
just say "hey, Dave, you f---ed up" instead of CFJing me for it. The
end-of-week stuff in particular is likely to start messing with my brain
real soon - mostly because there's enough of it that I can no longer keep
it all in my head. Scoring? Gremlins? Dimensions? (At least I don't have
to deal with the Hamster Balls.)

With that out of the way, here goes the results of nweek 6 voting.

This ballot is brought to you by KMFDM and Luscious Jackson.

Anything involving Keywords or Chutzpah does not yet exist - right now, my
Keywords database is cluttered with NotKeywords, and I haven't yet worked
out how to handle Chutzpah at all.

290/0 passes (8-1).
Created 344/0.
Scoff! scores 10 points.

291/0 passes (7-2).
Created 217/1.
Created 217/2.
Rob scores 7 points.

292/2 passes (5-4).
Created Luigi.
Created 345/0.
Glotmorf scores 8 points.

302/0 passes (7-1-1).
Created 301/1.
Glotmorf scores 15 points.

303/1 passes (9-0).
Created 346/0.
Glotmorf scores 10 points.

306/1 fails (1-8).
The Voice loses 3 points.

307/1 passes (6-3).
Created 299/1.
The Voice scores 9 points.

308/0 passes (6-3).
Created 13/1.
Dan scores 8 points.

309/0 passes (8-1).
Created 255/1.
Dan scores 11 points.

310/1 passes (7-2).
Created 347/0.
Created the King Gremlin.
Created 297/1.
Created 256/1.
Wonko scores 7 points.

311/2 passes (6-3).
Created 261/1.
Wonko scores 8 points.

312/2 passes (6-3).
Created 33/2.
Created 217/3.
Wonko scores 11 points.

313/3 passes (5-4).
Created 348/0.
Created The Yeti.
Wonko scores 14 points.

314/3 passes (9-0).
Created 349/0.
Created 350/0.
Wonko scores 9 points.

315/2 passes (5-4).
Created Elbonian Airways. Whee!
Created 351/0.
Wonko scores 7 points.

317/0 fails (4-5).
Dan loses 6 points.

319/0 fails (3-6).
Uncle Psychosis loses 5 points.

320/1 fails (2-7).
Uncle Psychosis loses 1 point.

323/0 passes (9-0).
Created a big stick, which falls onto the grid at (16,20).
Created 352/0.
Congenital Optimist scores 16 points.

326/0 fails (4-5).
The Admin, who was never that good at linear algebra, breathes a sigh of
relief.
Rob loses 4 points.

327/0 passes (6-2-1).
The Shield enters the grid at (14,19).
Created 353/0.
The Voice scores 8 points.

328/0 passes (8-1).
Buttplates. I like that word.
Created 354/0.
The Voice scores 11 points.

329/0 passes (5-4).
Created 126/5.
The Voice scores 13 points.

330/2 passes (9-0).
Created 355/0.
The King Gremlin and Luigi move into Limbo; the others were tossed onto
the Grid a couple days back.
Created 256/2.
Glotmorf scores 8 points.

331/0 fails (1-8).
Glotmorf loses 2 points.

332/1 is eaten by the PEG (now the PIG, but e was the PEG at the time).
Mmm. Fresh gremlin steaks.

333/0 passes (6-3).
Created 346/1.
Created 356/0.
Created a mental list of ex-girlfriends for naming Sirens.
Scoff! scores 11 points.

334/0 passes (6-3).
Created 128/3.
Scoff! scores 5 points.

335/1 passes (5-4).
Created 357/0.
Scoff! scores 9 points.

336/0 passes (5-4).
Created 358/0.
Scoff! scores 12 points.

337/0 passes (7-2).
Created 257/1.
Got more Dr. Pepper, since this proposal also specifies a lot of ugly
changes...
The following rules were created by the "day"->"nday" transmogrification:
128/4
213/3
257/2 (note that this was probably an unintended consequence, as the rule
now makes no sense)
258/3
261/2
295/1
348/1

Scoff! scores 9 points.

That's it for voting. Yay.

Ooh, this sucks... the Web site is broken again. I'd put in a page caching
system of my own design, so the page with all the rules wouldn't take ten
seconds to load, but it blows the caching system all to hell, since the
rules listing is about 100k now. For the sake of Joel's server, don't do
stupid stuff like reload the rules page incessantly, as it's back to the
original version that has to do a several LARGE database queries. In
short: don't be a retard. Thanks.

(Anyone who can think of a clever way to pre-cache this sort of thing is
heartily encouraged to speak up.)

Antonio is placed on Forced Leave.
Baron von Skippy is placed on Forced Leave.
Turgul is still on Forced Leave - if e doesn't show back up by the next
ballot, e will be hit by Garbage Collection.

Under the revised Bandwidth Gremlin rules, The Token of Proposals is
awarded to... ooh. Wonko had the most affirmative votes (38), but e's
blocked from receiving it since e had it last nweek. The Bandwidth Gremlin
goes into hiding, and takes the Token with em.

This nweek's Gremlin Number is 3.

The Immunity Idol is awarded to Dan - those 124 freebie points helped out
rather a bit.

The Roster has been updated with new scores, activity ratings, and so on.
Here's the requisite cut-n-paste:

Antonio
Activity 0 Charm 4 Distance 88.1 Score 88 Speed 22.95 Style 0

Baron von Skippy
Activity -2 Charm 0 Distance 1 Score 0 Speed -1 Style 0

Bean
Activity 3 Charm 0 Distance 5 Score 4 Speed 3.69 Style 0

Congenital Optimist
Activity 3 Charm 2 Distance 61.95 Score 60 Speed 21.89 Style 15

Dan
Activity 2 Charm 1 Distance 137.02 Score 137 Speed 136.02 Style 0

Glotmorf
Activity 4 Charm 5 Distance 85.24 Score 85 Speed 44.08 Style 0

Iain
Activity 0 Charm 1 Distance 56.01 Score 56 Speed 3.99 Style 0

Rob
Activity 4 Charm 7 Distance 107.3 Score 107 Speed 3.02 Style 0

Scoff!
Activity 4 Charm 7 Distance 120.27 Score 120 Speed 56.19 Style 0

The Voice
Activity 3 Charm 6 Distance 85.26 Score 85 Speed 30.14 Style 0

Turgul
Activity -4 Charm -1 Distance 10.82 Score 10 Speed 0.33 Style 0

Uncle Psychosis
Activity 2 Charm 1 Distance 108.02 Score 108 Speed -19.02 Style 0

Wonko
Activity 4 Charm 22 Distance 254.96 Score 254 Speed 56.29 Style 0

And yes, I promise I'll try to make the Roster page prettier soonish.

All Rules still have a Chutzpah of 1, and only a few rules have Keywords.
As I said before, I'll get all this straightened out as soon as I can
manage.

Uncle Psychosis voted privately; I'll forward eir ballot to the business
list later. I'm going to bed now.

...dave

---- David E. Smith, POB 515045, St. Louis MO 63151
http://www.technopagan.org/    http://metadave.net/
http://www.bureau42.com/       http://whatIsay.com/

"Use anger to throw them into disarray." -- Sun Tzu

Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 09:47:46 -0500
Subject: spoon-business: My proposals
From: Wonko <[email-masked]>
To: Business Nomic <[email-masked]>
Blobman: 1
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Okay, I submit the follwoing three proposals:

****************************************************************************

First of all, a faster means of movement:
{{
__Run, Run, As Fast As You Can!__

Amend rule 301 to replace the word 'nweek' in the last two paragraphs with
'Step', replace the first word of the second to last paragraph with 'Twice',
and then insert the following paragraph between the third to last and second
to last paragraphs:

'The first 3 days of each nweek are designated as a Step. The 4th, 5th, and
6th ndays of each nweek are designated as a Step. The 7th, 8th, and 9th
ndays of each nweek are designated as a Step.'

Add the following paragraph to the end of rule 301:

'There exist objects called Vehicles. If a player gets a Vehicle, e loses
all other Vehicles e has.'

Create:
{{
__GremiCycles__

There exist Vehicles called GremiCycles. Any player with more than 13 points
may pay 13 points to get a GremiCycle. A player who has a GremiCycle may
make 1 additional Move per Step.
}}

{{
__GremoPlanes__

There exist Vehicles called GremoPlanes. Any player with more than 25 points
may pay 25 points to get a GremoPlane. A player who has a GremoPlane may
make 2 additional Moves per Step.
}}

{{
__The GremliCopter__

There exists a Vehicle called the GremliCopter. Any player with more than 40
points may pay 40 points to take the GremliCopter from the entity which has
it. A player who has the GremliCopter may make 4 additional Moves per Step.
}}

Give the GremliCopter to the Scoring Gremlin.
}}

****************************************************************************

Secondly, something to do with the masses of Gremlins on the Grid:
{{
__Let's Get Ready To GREMBALL!!!!__

Amend the rule created by proposal 330 to replace the sentence 'A Player in
a grid location can throw a Gremlin at another grid location, at a Player in
another grid location, into Limbo or at a Player in Limbo.' with 'A Player
in a grid location can throw a Gremlin at another grid location or at a
Player in another grid location, assuming the target is within 7 units of
the thrower, or into Limbo or at a Player in Limbo.'

Append to rule 301 the sentence 'The distance between two squares is the
square root of (the difference in x-values of the squares squared plus the
difference in y-values of the squares squared)'

Create:
{{
__Hungry Hungry Hippos__

There exist four Passable SOs, called Hungry Hungry Hippos, or Hippos. There
is one at (1,10), one at (11,1), one at (20,11) and one at (10,20). Whenever
a MO occupies a square which is occupied by a Hippo, the Hippo Eats that MO.
When a MO is Eaten by a Hippo, it is teleported to a random vacant square in
the Relocation Zone. The Relocation Zone consists of all squares whose x and
y coordinates are both greater than 5 and less than 15.
}}

{{
__The Game__

There exists a list called the Gremball Roster, or just the Roster. Any
player may put emself on the Roster by declaring so in a Public Forum, in
which case e shall be added to the Roster at the end of that nweek. There
exist two groups of players, called Teams, known as the Red Team and the
Yellow Team. No player on the Roster can be on more than 1 Team. At the
beginning of each nweek, each player on the Roster shall be randomly
assigned to a Team, in such a way so that neither Team outnumbers the other
by more than 1 player.

If a player who is holding a Gremlin is Eaten by a Hippo, e and all players
on eir team gain 2 points, and e loses possession of that Gremlin before
being teleported by the Hippo.
}}

{{
__Magnets__

There exist objects called Magnets. Any player who does not have a Magnet
may buy one for 7 points. If a player with a Magnet is within 3 squares of a
player who holds a Gremlin, the player with a Magnet may Seize the other
player's Gremlin, in which case the Gremlin moves to the location and into
the possession of the Seizing player.
}}
}}

****************************************************************************

And finally, back from the Grave, Administrative Abilities!
{{
__Broadening Horizons__

Create a new rule as follows:

{{
__A Little Fun For Everyone__

The Administrator may make proposals as though e were a player. The
Administrator shall not be subject to Bandwidth Rationing, or any other
means of limiting the number or type of proposals which may be made.
Instead, the Administrator shall be limited to one proposal per nweek.
[[ Just so things don't get out of control... ]]

If the Administrator gains or loses points as a result of any change in
the game state, including but not limited to the passage or failure of
proposals, those points shall instead be awarded to/taken from the Scoring
Gremlin.
}}

Amend rule 296 to replace the number 30 with 20, replace the words ' or the
player with the lowest score has at most 10 fewer points than any other
player,' with ' or the Scoring Gremlin has no Points,', add the words 'with
a nonzero score and the Scoring Gremlin has at least 5 points,' after the
words 'other player' in the last sentence, replace 'fewest points' with
'lowest score' in the 2nd sentence, then replace 'lowest score' with 'lowest
nonzero score' everywhere it occurs.

[[If I did this right, it will end up looking like this:
"There exists a Gremlin known as the Scoring Gremlin. Whenever a proposal is
recognized, if the Scoring Gremlin is Active, it shall award the player with
the lowest nonzero score 1 point. If at any time multiple players are tied
for the lowest nonzero score, or the Scoring Gremlin has no Points, the
Scoring Gremlin shall go into Hiding. If the player with the lowest nonzero
score has at least 20 fewer points than any other player with a nonzero
score and the Scoring Gremlin has at least 5 points, the Scoring Gremlin
shall become Active."
]]

Finally, add the following:

"Players may give points to the Scoring Gremlin in the same manner as
giving points to other players. [[ It's like charity, only different. ]]

The Scoring Gremlin initially has 100 Points. This paragraph shall then be
deleted from the rules [[ for cleanliness ]].'

}}

****************************************************************************

-- 
Wonko
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit.

Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 10:05:36 -0500
Subject: spoon-business: Actions
From: Wonko <[email-masked]>
To: Business Nomic <[email-masked]>
Blobman: 1
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I moved to (15,9), I think.
I also think that when I said 'I move all Gremlins to the square (15,9)' the
Scoring Gremlin should have gone too.

I take the following actions:
1) I pick up the Bandwidth Gremlin and throw it at Scoff!
2) I pick up the PIG and throw it at Dan.
3) I pick up the Witch Gremlin and throw it at Rob.
4) If the Scoring Gremlin is in fact at (15,9), I pick it up and throw it at
Uin.
5) In light of the fact that I forgot to put an initial location into the
Yeti proposal, I throw the Yeti at a random vacant Square.

-- 
Wonko
Illiud Latine dici non potest.

Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 19:32:58 -0500
From: "Donald Whytock" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: spoon-business: Actions
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

On 2/3/02 at 10:05 AM Wonko wrote:

>I moved to (15,9), I think.
>I also think that when I said 'I move all Gremlins to the square (15,9)'
>the
>Scoring Gremlin should have gone too.
>
>I take the following actions:
>1) I pick up the Bandwidth Gremlin and throw it at Scoff!
>2) I pick up the PIG and throw it at Dan.
>3) I pick up the Witch Gremlin and throw it at Rob.
>4) If the Scoring Gremlin is in fact at (15,9), I pick it up and throw it
>at
>Uin.
>5) In light of the fact that I forgot to put an initial location into the
>Yeti proposal, I throw the Yeti at a random vacant Square.
>
>
>-- 
>Wonko

If Wonko moved onto the grid before the Yeti was created, would the Yeti=
 have been in a place where Wonko could reach it and throw it somewhere?=
  I'd'a thought it'd be in Limbo, since everything else has started out in=
 Limbo.

						Glotmorf

Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 21:02:44 -0500
To: [email-masked]
From: Eric Gerlach <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: spoon-business: The Daily Recognizer (Friday evening)
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

At 02:00 AM 2002-02-02 +0000, you wrote:
>Bean has Judged CFJ 321. Yay.

That sounded sarcastic.  I'm just doing my job... *sniff*.... I thought I 
was appreciated.... *sniff*

Hee hee.  :)

>Fortunately, if we allow for the brief conceit that e can, in fact,
>rescind that action, all three threads twist back into one rather nicely.

Woo!  We rock!

>The new version of "Are you ready for some football!" is 342/0.
>"Just a little bit..." is 343/0.

You missed a bit of proposal 342/0.  Don't worry about it though, I'll just 
revise it in, as I wanted to make changes to that proposal anyways.  Here goes.

Revise Proposal 342/0 as follows:

- Replace the text "There exists a game known as Scoring Gremlin Football 
(Football or SCF for short). SCF is played on The Grid" with the text: 
"There exists a game known as Football.  Football is played on The Grid".

- Add the following text to the beginning of the second paragraph of the 
rule created: "There exists an entity known as The Football".

- Replace all references to "the Scoring Gremlin" with "The Football".  (I 
count 11...)

- Add the following text to the end of the proposal (after the rule 
creation): "Place the name Bean on the roster of Team Turquoise."

I also make the following proposal:

{{
__Let's at least slow GremBall down...__

Place all Gremlins into Limbo.  Place the Scoring Gremlin, the PIG, and the 
Witch Gremlin onto The Grid at random locations.  [[If Rob's proposal 
passes, that means that only these three Gremlins will be on the Grid 
unless someone legislates one onto the Grid.  This makes GremBall a little 
bit tamer.]]

Bean

Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 21:55:12 -0500
Subject: spoon-business: Proposal revision
From: Wonko <[email-masked]>
To: Business Nomic <[email-masked]>
Blobman: 1
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Alright, I amend the proposal entitled 'Run, Run, As Fast As You Can!' to
read as follows:

{{
__Run, Run, As Fast As You Can!__

Add the following paragraph to the end of rule 301:

'There exist objects called Vehicles. If a player gets a Vehicle, e loses
all other Vehicles e has.'

Create:
{{
__GremiCycles__

There exist Vehicles called GremiCycles. Any player with more than 13 points
may pay 13 points to get a GremiCycle. A player who has a GremiCycle may
make 1 additional Move per nweek.
}}

{{
__GremoPlanes__

There exist Vehicles called GremoPlanes. Any player with more than 25 points
may pay 25 points to get a GremoPlane. A player who has a GremoPlane may
make 2 additional Moves per nweek.
}}

{{
__The GremliCopter__

There exists a Vehicle called the GremliCopter. Any player with more than 40
points may pay 40 points to take the GremliCopter from the entity which has
it. A player who has the GremliCopter may make 4 additional Moves per nweek.
}}

Give the GremliCopter to the Scoring Gremlin.
}}

Rat: Bean's right, things will get nasty if people have to move within
little 3-nday periods.

-- 
Wonko
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 22:11:08 -0500
Subject: spoon-business: Another revision
From: Wonko <[email-masked]>
To: Business Nomic <[email-masked]>
Blobman: 1
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I issue this proposal:
{{
__You can only throw so far...__

Amend the rule created by proposal 330 to replace the sentence 'A Player in
a grid location can throw a Gremlin at another grid location, at a Player in
another grid location, into Limbo or at a Player in Limbo.' with 'A Player
in a grid location can throw a Gremlin at another grid location or at a
Player in another grid location, assuming the target is within 7 units of
the thrower, or into Limbo or at a Player in Limbo.'

Append to rule 301 the sentence 'The distance between two squares is the
square root of (the difference in x-values of the squares squared plus the
difference in y-values of the squares squared)'
}}

I amend my proposal entitled "Let's Get Ready To GREMBALL!!!!"
{{
__Let's Get Ready To GREMBALL!!!!__

Create:
{{
__Hungry Hungry Hippos__

There exist four Passable SOs, called Hungry Hungry Hippos, or Hippos. There
is one at (1,10), one at (11,1), one at (20,11) and one at (10,20). Whenever
a MO occupies a square which is occupied by a Hippo, the Hippo Eats that MO.
When a MO is Eaten by a Hippo, it is teleported to a random vacant square in
the Relocation Zone. The Relocation Zone consists of all squares whose x and
y coordinates are both greater than 5 and less than 15.
}}

{{
__The Game__

There exists a list called the Gremball Roster, or just the Roster. Any
player may put emself on the Roster by declaring so in a Public Forum, in
which case e shall be added to the Roster at the end of that nweek. There
exist two groups of players, called Teams, known as the Red Team and the
Yellow Team. No player on the Roster can be on more than 1 Team. At the
beginning of each nweek, each player on the Roster shall be randomly
assigned to a Team, in such a way so that neither Team outnumbers the other
by more than 1 player.

If a player who is holding a Gremlin is Eaten by a Hippo, e and all players
on eir team gain 2 points, and e loses possession of that Gremlin before
being teleported by the Hippo.
}}

{{
__Magnets__

There exist objects called Magnets. All players have magnets. If a player
with a Magnet is within 3 squares of a player who holds a Gremlin, the
player with a Magnet may Seize the other player's Gremlin, in which case the
Gremlin moves to the location and into the possession of the Seizing player.
}}
}}

-- 
Wonko
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 22:49:12 -0500
From: "Donald Whytock" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: new proposal: bombs away!
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

{{ _Not to be Confused with Sylvester Stallone_

Create a new rule:

{{ _The Meteor Gremlin_

There exists a Gremlin called The Meteor Gremlin, also known as Rocky.=
  Rocky is Active whenever there are more than five vacant Grid locations;=
 otherwise it is Inactive.

At the end of an nweek, if Rocky is Active, Rocky drops a Big Rock onto a=
 random location on the Grid, either a vacant location or one already=
 containing a Big Rock.
}}

}}

Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 23:44:51 -0500
From: "Donald Whytock" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: new proposal, and it ain't pretty
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

{{ _Get AWAY From That!_

Create a new rule:

{{ _The Bean Gremlin_

There exists a Gremlin called The Bean Gremlin, also known as Beano.  Beano=
 is Active whenever it is on the Grid or in the possession of a Player on=
 the Grid; otherwise, Beano is Inactive.

At the end of an nweek, if Beano is Active, each Player on the Grid who is=
 in a location adjacent to the location Beano is in or possessed in will,=
 if possible, retreat one Grid location directly away from Beano's=
 location.  The Player in the same Grid location as Beano will remain at=
 that location.

Retreating Players will retreat into Grid locations they could normally=
 move to without Bouncing, as defined by the Grid Objects rule; if such a=
 move would result in Bouncing, the Player will instead not retreat.=
  Retreating will take priority over the effects of Sirens, the Yeti, or=
 other objects or conditions on the Grid that restrict or compel movement.

}}

}}

Why?  Aside from the juvenile entertainment value, and the idea of messing=
 with things like Sirens and the like, I'm looking forward to beaning Bean=
 with Beano. "What if I don't want to play" indeed.

						Glotmorf

Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 12:04:24 -0500 (EST)
From: Dan <[email-masked]>
To: "'nomic-business'" <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Silly grid things.
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I catch the PIG.

I work really hard on that CFJ

Dan

Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 12:15:05 -0500 (EST)
From: Dan <[email-masked]>
To: "'nomic-business'" <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Judgement on CFJ 340
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Judgement on CFJ 340 by Bean
Judge: Dan
Defendant: Scoff

Statement:
The Players Antonio, Baron von Skippy, Congenital Optimist, Dan,
Glotmorpf, Iain, Rob, The Voice, Uncle Psychosis, Wonko did not resign.

Ruling: TRUE

Judge's Analysis:
Rule 14/0 states "A Player may forfeit at any time by publicly declaring
eir intention to do so.  No restrictions may be placed on when a Player
may forfeit."  I am interpreting "resign" as equivalent to "forfeit" since
that is clearly what was intended by the CFJ.

The following are the attempted actions posted to the public forum by
Scoff

{{
Antonio forfeits B Nomic
Baron von Skippy forfeits B Nomic
Bean forfeits B Nomic
Congenital Optimist forfeits B Nomic
Dan  forfeits B Nomic
Glotmorf forfeits B Nomic
Iain forfeits B Nomic
Rob forfeits B Nomic
The Voice forfeits B Nomic
Turgul forfeits B Nomic
Uncle Psychosis forfeits B Nomic
Wonko forfeits B Nomic
}}

Rule 14 regulates forfeiture and therefore it may not be done except
as allowed in the rules.

The Administrator never recognized the action, and I claim precedent to
game custom that actions ignored by the Administrator do not happen unless
a CFJ is made to correct the Administrator's error.

Finally I should point out that the nature of forfeiture is not
specified in the rules.  Therefore there is nothing to prevent a forfeited
player from being chosen as a Judge.

This Judgement asserts its own legitimacy.

Dan

Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 11:31:42 -0600 (CST)
From: "Karin L. Kross" <[email-masked]>
To: B Nomic Business <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: The scarf changes hands
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I *buzz* give the Pink Scarf to its creator, Scoff! *crackle*

-- 
[email-masked] | http://seishonagon.org
"don't you know there ain't no devil
 there's just god when he's drunk"
 (Tom Waits "Heartattack and Vine")

Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 15:36:06 -0500
From: "Donald Whytock" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: new proposal: siren pate
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

{{ _My Recipe for Siren Pate_

[[

Take a nice Big Rock
Drop onto a Siren's Rock
Makes Siren Pate

]]

Amend the fourth paragraph of Rule 346, replacing the text "both Big Rocks"=
 with "both Big Rocks, as well as anything sitting on the original Big=
 Rock,".

}}

						Glotmorf

From: Antonio <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: CFJ 322 ruling
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 22:40:36 +0100
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:54:09 -0500, "Donald Whytock"
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>
>Statement: It is illegal for me to kill the Witch Gremlin.
>
>Rationale: Rule 18 says that anything not regulated in the rules is =
permitted.  However, there are rules that discuss the creation and =
behavior patterns of Gremlins; hence, a Gremlin's existence is regulated.=
  Therefore, anything that affects the existence of a Gremlin, such as =
its murder, requires a specific rule permitting it.
>

Howdy, I hereby rule this CFJ: FALSE

My Analysis:
the plaintiff has presented rule 18 in his reasoning,
***
Rule 18/1:Permissibility of the Unprohibited

Whatever is not prohibited or regulated by the Rule set is permitted and
unregulated, with the sole exception of Rule Changes, which are permitted
only when a Rule or set of Rules explicitly or implicitly permits them. A
Rule Change consists of the creation (enactment), modification =
(amendment),
or deletion (repeal) of a rule.
***

As "killing" the entity known as "Witch Gremlin" is not a rule change, =
that
action falls under rule 18, so it is possible to kill the Witch Gremlin
with impunity.
(rule 18 is broken if you ask me)
Of course the true meaning of "killing" the Witch Gremlin is undefined at
the moment, so the effect of such an action on the game state is =
nebulous.
Just go on and try.
--=20
Antonio

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

From: Antonio <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: proosal
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 23:01:44 +0100
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

__Game State Reigns Supreme__
{{Changes to the Game state may only be made as permitted by the rules}}

[[Short enough to be made into a Haiku but clarity (and precise wording)
are important here.
The game state is loose enough a term to permit maneuvering space, while
this rule places the whole Game state under the regulation of the =
rules.]]
--=20
Antonio

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 00:18:44 +0000 (GMT)
From: "David E. Smith" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: The Daily Recognizer (Monday evening)
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Wonko's "Run, Run, As Fast As You Can!" is 359/0.
"Let's Get Ready To GREMBALL!!!!!" is 360/0.
"Broadening Horizons" is 361/0.

Wonko did, in fact, move to (15,9) and I'd forgotten to update The Grid to
reflect that. That action counts against last week's move quota, not this
week's. Whee!

All Gremlins are currently airborne - the Bandwidth Gremlin is en route to
Scoff! at (16,13); the PIG is enroute to Dan (in Limbo); the Witch Gremlin
is enroute to Rob at (4,2); the Scoring Gremlin is en route to Uncle
Psychosis (in Limbo).

The Yeti gets lobbed onto The Grid at (15,7). (This action is deemed to
have occurred during the first day of the nweek; The Yeti will move later
on in this post.)

342 is revised (342/1). If I accidentally left something out of the
original, I apologize.

Bean's "Let at least slow GremBall down..." is 362/0.

"Run, Run, As Fast As You Can" is revised (359/1).

"You can only throw so far..." is 363/0.

"Let's Get Ready To GREMBALL!!!!!" is revised (360/1).

"Not to be Confused with Sylvester Stallone" is 364/0.

"Get AWAY From That!" is 365/0.

Dan (in Limbo) catches the PIG.

Dan has ruled on CFJ 340. Twisty, ain't it?

Once again, I'm disregarding Uncle Psychosis' blatantly illegal actions,
until CFJd otherwise.

The Pink Scarf is given to Scoff!.

"My Recipe for Siren Pate" is 366/0.

Antonio has ruled on CFJ 322.

Antonio's "Game State Reigns Supreme" is rectified (add standard "Create a
new rule:" verbiage) and recognized (367/0).

I have to move the Yeti around a lot - the Grid web page will reflect eir
movements. (Since the definition of Movement includes diagonal moves,
this'll be fun.) Here's where e moved:

16,8
16,7
15,6
15,5
15,4
16,3
14,5 (moved through a Frozen square)
13,6

...dave

---- David E. Smith, POB 515045, St. Louis MO 63151
http://www.technopagan.org/    http://metadave.net/
http://www.bureau42.com/       http://whatIsay.com/

"Use anger to throw them into disarray." -- Sun Tzu

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 01:08:30 +0000 (GMT)
From: "David E. Smith" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Corrections!
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Antonio's proposal is not, in fact, recognized, because e is on Forced
Leave, and can't make that proposal until e returns.

In other news, I re-wrote the Roster page (it's not nearly as sucky now)
and the whole Grid database (though the changes should be invisible to
everyone but me).

...dave

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 01:11:26 +0000 (GMT)
From: "David E. Smith" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Other Corrections
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Man, this is getting to me something fierce...

Since Scoff! received the Pink Scarf, e also receives 4 Score points and
17 Style points. w00t.

...dave

Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 21:17:09 -0500
Subject: spoon-business: Revision, again
From: Wonko <[email-masked]>
To: Business Nomic <[email-masked]>
Blobman: 1
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I amend proposal 360 to remove the word 'Gremlin' from the first sentence of
the second proposed rule, and replace the word 'Roster' wherever it occurs
with the word 'GremList'. I then replace the second sentence of the proposed
rule entitled 'Magnets' to read "Each player who is on the GremList has a
magnet. Players not on the Gremlins do not have Magnets."

-- 
Wonko
Utinam barbari spatium proprium tuum invadant!

Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 22:35:58 -0500
From: Rob Speer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Oh wait
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

[[I just realized that the title of my proposal would have to become the
title of the rule, at which point it won't even be true anymore. So:]]

I change the obscenely long title of Proposal 339/1 to __The
All-Important Default Case__ [[with apologies to Dave]].

-- 
Rob Speer

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 08:01:56 +0000 (GMT)
From: "David E. Smith" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: The Daily Recognizer (Monday
 evening)
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Donald Whytock wrote:

> Uh, dude?  Where's my paradox proposal?

Uh, dude? Why'd you quote the whole message?

Anyway, it's recognized as 367/0.

Other Official Stuff (TM):

Rob's "The All-Important Default Case" is retitled (339/2).

Wonko's GremList modifications are 360/2 (rectified: I don't think you
really meant "Players not on the Gremlins do not have Magnets." because
that's just, well, personal. I mean, if you want to be on a Gremlin, more
power to you. We live in an open society and all, but, man, there are
some things that just shouldn't be shared. So I changed Gremlins to
GremList in the original sentence.).

...dave

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 09:23:41 -0600 (CST)
From: "Karin L. Kross" <[email-masked]>
To: B Nomic Business <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Proposal: A whole new ball of wax
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Create a rule as follows:

{{

__A Whole New Ball of Wax__

The Grid contains objects called Balls of Wax.  A new Ball of Wax
enters the Grid at the beginning of each nweek at a random
location determined by the admin.  The location is then made
public.  If a player's movement brings em into the same square as
a Ball of Wax, e may pick it up or leave it.

Once in possession of a Ball of Wax, the player may do one of 
the following things with it:

1) Throw it at another player.  If a Ball of Wax is thrown at a
player, the player must, as an action, catch the Ball of Wax
within two ndays of it being thrown, or, if e is in possession of
the big stick, must hit the ball with the big stick. If the
player does not or cannot catch the Ball of Wax, the Ball of Wax
hits the player, who then loses 1d3 score points to the player
that threw the Ball of Wax; the Ball of Wax then falls where the
player is standing.  If the player hits the Ball of Wax with the
big stick, the Ball of Wax falls in a random location.

2) Stuff the wax into eir ears as protection against the wiles of
the Sirens.  As long as the player has wax in eir ears, e gains
the attribute Deaf.  After escaping a Siren's ZOE or after 1
nweek, whichever comes first, e must remove the wax, which then
becomes a Ball of Earwax and gains the attribute Disgusting.  
Balls of Earwax may be thrown, but not used to stuff ears.  A
Ball of Earwax, when thrown at a player, cannot be caught.  It
explodes on impact, and the player who has been hit gains the
attribute Icky for 1d3 ndays.  If e hits the Ball of Earwax with 
the big stick, the Ball of Earwax explodes, but the bits fall 
harmlessly to the ground.

}}

-- 
[email-masked] | http://seishonagon.org
"don't you know there ain't no devil
 there's just god when he's drunk"
 (Tom Waits "Heartattack and Vine")

Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 14:49:37 -0500
From: "Donald Whytock" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: spoon-discuss: RE: spoon-business: new proposal: siren
  pate
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

On 2/5/02 at 8:53 AM Jonathan Van Matre wrote:

>My dear Glotmorf, as I am sure you are well aware, no person of good
>manners would even consider having siren pate before the first of May.
>
>I also feel duty-bound to report to you that your proposal fails to
>qualify for the haiku bonus because the haiku is in the comments.  Your
>prospects for marriage will *never* improve if you insist on continuing in
>this manner.
>
>Respectfully Yours,
>
>Miss Emma Stanton Scoff,
>Hadleydale Manor
>
>

I am *so* giving her a Kick in the Ass.

Oh, right, a reason...um...titles.  "Miss Emma Stanton Scoff, Hadleydale=
 Manor".  She hasn't formally changed her name, so this must be a title.

BTW, I do realize the proposal didn't count for a haiku bonus.  Thanks to=
 Scoff! for the concern.

						Glotmorf

From: "Tyler Crosby" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Proposal: Here we go again
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 15:25:10 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

{{
__Precedents, Schmrecedents__

Amend rule 17 by replacing the following THEN delimited text,

THEN
reaching the appropriate Fora.
THEN

with the following NOW delimited text:

NOW
their being recognized by the Administrator.  If an action is not recognized
which is arguably deserviving of recognition, or vice versa, or if a player
believes the Administrator has acted out of spite, e may make a CFJ on the
subject, with the Administrator as Defendant.
NOW

There, that should work.  Problems?  Talk to me.

-0- Thus Spake The Voice -0-
*Ignore this signature if :
1) it doesn't make sense to you
2) it seems outdated
3) you feel moved to make a sarcastic comment
4) you didn't read to the end of this list.
Thank you, and have a nice day.*

_________________________________________________________________
Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. 
http://www.hotmail.com

From: "Tyler Crosby" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: moves
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 15:27:18 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Oh, by the way, I move to (6,5)

-0- Thus Spake The Voice -0-
*Ignore this signature if :
1) it doesn't make sense to you
2) it seems outdated
3) you feel moved to make a sarcastic comment
4) you didn't read to the end of this list.
Thank you, and have a nice day.*

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: 
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 14:34:43 -0600 (CST)
From: "Karin L. Kross" <[email-masked]>
To: B Nomic Business <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Grid action
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I move to (6,10).

-- 
[email-masked] | http://seishonagon.org
"don't you know there ain't no devil
 there's just god when he's drunk"
 (Tom Waits "Heartattack and Vine")

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 14:45:05 -0600 (CST)
From: "Karin L. Kross" <[email-masked]>
To: B Nomic Business <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: CFJ 338 - Judgement
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

CFJ 338 (Judge: Congenital Optimist)
CFJ by Scoff!

STATEMENT: The Administrator can not refuse to recognize any 
action posted to a public forum, except where such 
non-recognition is explicitly permitted by the rules. 

Scoff!'s analysis: It's not a rule, but it certainly should be.  
The alternative gives *way* too much power of discretion to the
Administrator. If eir least-favorite player posts a Grid move to
a square that has a Shiny thing, can e ignore the move to prevent
said player receiving points? This whole ignoring-an-action thing
sets up an unwelcome precedent.

Ruling: UNDECIDED

Analysis: On the one hand, Scoff!'s argument has considerable 
weight; on the other hand, I think that the administrator should 
have *some* authority over the game.  I can't seem to find 
anything where the administrator's legal rights and 
responsibilities are spelled out (and if there are, please let me 
know).  I feel that this is not an issue that can be solved in a 
CFJ; it should be resolved in a proposal defining the Admin's 
rights.

For what it's worth, I think that even with the system of CFJs in 
place, we do need an administrator as a "measure of last resort" 
when something goes truly haywire.  But that's just my opinion.

-Congenital Optimist

-- 
[email-masked] | http://seishonagon.org
"don't you know there ain't no devil
 there's just god when he's drunk"
 (Tom Waits "Heartattack and Vine")

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 14:51:17 -0600 (CST)
From: "Karin L. Kross" <[email-masked]>
To: B Nomic Business <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Coda Re: CFJ 338 - Judgement
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, I wrote:

> I can't seem to find 
> anything where the administrator's legal rights and 
> responsibilities are spelled out 

Der.  Of course, there's Rule 25/0, but all that says is "The 
Administrator is responsible for all game duties not assigned by 
the Rules to other players."  Perhaps a proposal is desired (not 
necessarily needed, but definitely desired) to expand upon this 
rule.

-- 
[email-masked] | http://seishonagon.org
"don't you know there ain't no devil
 there's just god when he's drunk"
 (Tom Waits "Heartattack and Vine")

From: "Tyler Crosby" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: CFJ: Scoff! Gets his Kicks
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 18:10:50 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I call for Judgement!

STATEMENT:  Glotmorf did not succeed at giving Scoff! a Kick in the Ass for 
having a title which is not on the LON, as she was acting within her 
capacity as the female Style Police by calling herself Miss Emma Stanton 
Scoff of Hadleydale Manor.

I name Glotmorf as defendant.

-0- Thus Spake The Voice -0-
*Ignore this signature if :
1) it doesn't make sense to you
2) it seems outdated
3) you feel moved to make a sarcastic comment
4) you didn't read to the end of this list.
Thank you, and have a nice day.*

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 20:09:09 -0500 (EST)
From: Dan <[email-masked]>
To: "'nomic-business'" <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Proposal: Judgement/Proposal overhaul
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

{{
delete the first paragraph of rule 129

amend rule 30 by replacing the word "proposal" with "item"

replace the second to last paragraph of rule 128 with the following:
{{
The Administrator shall, upon recipt of the judgement, distribute to all
players the Ballot of the CFJ.  This ballot shall list exactly one item:
"Accept the judgement of player xxx on CFJ yyy" where xxx is the name of
the judge and yyy is the number of the CFJ.

Voting on the CFJ ballot begins immediately upon distribution of the
ballot and ends 3 ndays later. At that time the Administrator shall count
the votes.  If more affirmitave votes than negative votes were cast on the
CFJ the judgement is approved and is enacted with the force of law.
Otherwise the judgement is declined and the Administrator shall select a
new judge in the way prescribed by the rules.

When a judgement on a CFJ is approved the Plaintiff and the Judge each
recieve 10 points.  When a judgement is declined the Plaintiff and the
Judge each lose 5 points.

}}
}}
Dan

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 20:18:47 -0500 (EST)
From: Dan <[email-masked]>
To: "'nomic-business'" <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Grid
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I pick up the PIG
I throw the PIG at Scoff!

I declare myself to be a drone and enter the grid at 14,19

Dan

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 20:43:58 -0500 (EST)
From: Dan <[email-masked]>
To: "'nomic-business'" <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Proposal:  This ruleset isn't big enough for the both of us!
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

{{
__This Ruleset isn't big enough for the both of us!__

Enact the following new rule:
{{
__Opposed Proposals__

A proposal may be specified as being "opposed to" another proposal
or rule.  This may be specified by including the phrase "In Opposition to
Proposal xxx" where xxx is the serial number or title of a proposal.

If proposal b is opposed to proposal a then proposal a is considered to be
in opposition to proposal b.

Of any pair of mutually opposed proposals at most one can be enacted.  If
more than one proposal of any opposed pair passes the proposal that
recieved the fewest affirmitave votes of the pair becomes inactive and is
not enacted.

[[ 
If opposed proposals a and b pass with 5 and 4 votes in favor,
respectively, then a is enacted and b is not.

If mutually opposed proposals a, b, and c pass with 5, 3, and 4 votes
in favor, respectively, then a is enacted and b and c are not.

if a is opposed to b and b is opposed to c then a is not nescessarily
opposed to c.

if a and b are opposed and a passes with 5 votes in favor but b does not
pass even with 7 votes in favor then a is enacted and b is not.

if a is opposed to b and c, but b and c are not mutually opposed, and b
and c both pass but a does not then b and c are both enacted.

}}

Dan

Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 08:51:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Daniel Lepage <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Taking Action
To: [email-masked]
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

We've got all this new stuff, so let's use it!

I move from (15,9) to (16,8), and therefore to (17,7)
'cause I slide on the ice.
I buy a Big Rock and place it at (9,12).
I buy a Pinball Gun.

-- 
Wonko

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Send FREE Valentine eCards with Yahoo! Greetings!
http://greetings.yahoo.com

From: "Jonathan Van Matre" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 11:25:58 -0600
Subject: spoon-business: Proposal:  Fixing my own mistakes
content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

__Fixing my own mistakes__

In Rule 357, change all instances of the term "feet" to the term "poetic fe=
et".

In Rule 257, change the second instance of "nday" to "day" in the paragraph=
 which begins with '5) Correct a proposal or rule that uses the term "nday"=
 by replacing it with the term "nday",'.

Transfer from Scoff! to the Scoring Gremlin the same number of Score points=
 earned by Scoff! for the passage of this proposal.

[[No points for filling up holes I dug myself.]]

--Scoff!

From: "Jonathan Van Matre" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 11:44:31 -0600
Subject: spoon-business: Proposal:  Judicial Rear View
content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

__Judicial Rear View__

[[Continuing the piece-by-piece approach to judicial reform, on the slate f=
or this week is an appeal process.  Constructive input is welcome.]]

Create the following rule:

{{
__Judicial Rear View__

At any time within 3 ndays following the posting of a Judgement on a CFJ, a=
ny player (or the Administrator, if the Administrator is not a player) may =
propose that the Judgement be overturned by posting an Appeal to Overturn i=
n a public forum.=20

An Appeal to Overturn is a special instance of a Proposal. If limitations o=
n the number of proposals per player per nweek are in effect, Appeals to Ov=
erturn will not count against a player's proposal limit. =20

All Appeals to Overturn must have the following one-sentence structure: "Pl=
ayer (name of player) Appeals to Overturn CFJ # (number of CFJ)", where the=
 parenthesis-delimited fields are replaced by the applicable information.  =
No additional actions may be included in an Appeal to Overturn proposal.

Players may optionally include analysis in their Appeal to Overturn as Comm=
ents, using the standard delimiters for comments described in Rule 8.=20

The Appeal to Overturn will be placed on the next available ballot as a Pro=
posal.  If the Proposal is adopted, the Judgement on the CFJ is overturned.=
  The CFJ records will be updated to indicate the judgement was overturned,=
 and if necessary, the game state is modified so that play can continue as =
if the CFJ was originally judged "Undecided".

No CFJ may be appealed more than once.
}}

From: "Jonathan Van Matre" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 12:17:23 -0600
Subject: spoon-business: Ruling on CFJ 325
content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

This is going to be a very judicially-activist ruling, because I think it's=
 warranted in this case.  There's going to be some serious interpretation-g=
uiding going on.

OK, let's take the statements one at a time.

"(1) This CFJ is permitted by the rule 129"

I'm ruling TRUE on this one, primarily because ruling it FALSE would requir=
e me to refrain from even considering the second statement, and I already *=
have* considered it at length.  So, I'm taking Iain's CFJ to refer to the "=
action" it replied to, which is Uncle Psychosis's message *calling attentio=
n* to eir repeal action more than 1 nweek prior. =20

This may be stretching a little, but I consider it within the realm of fair=
 play since Uncle Psychosis had been posting signature lines in several pre=
vious messages with imperative phrases such as eir "Repeal rule 10! " on 1/=
16.  Thus, the change to "I repeal rule 10" was rather sneaky and easy to o=
verlook. =20

Furthermore, Uncle Psychosis has posted a great many things in eir signatur=
e line that have not been treated as actions, so the abiding game custom at=
 the time was for players to regard anything in the signature line as a non=
-action.  The Administrator's recognition of a point transfer in Uncle Psyc=
hosis's example is the only counterexample I have been able to find in exam=
ining *all* of eir signature lines.  Chalk that up to administrative overze=
alousness -- 1 example does not make a convincing precedent. =20

Game custom was and is to regard signature lines, disclaimers, and the like=
 as useless effluvia.  We haven't seen the Daily Recognizer recognizing "DI=
SCLAIMER: This message is intended only... " actions on a regular basis.

Under the circumstances, I'm going to allow a CFJ on the first public notic=
e that the signature was meant to be taken as an action, since it would hav=
e been customary not to consider it as such at the time.  Yes, rule 17 spec=
ifies that "Actions occur upon reaching the appropriate Fora", but consider=
ing the absence of any administrative or player response to the putative "a=
ction", it is my interpretation that the forum was never truly reached in t=
his case until notice of the intent was given.  Text arrived in spoon-busin=
ess, but as our resident Platonists might say, spoon-business is merely a s=
hadow of the true form/forum. =20

Next,

"(2) and Rule 10 is not repealed."

This is also TRUE, but pay close attention to why.  Under a strict interpre=
tation of Rule 129, UP's action would be legalized after 1 nweek; indeed, *=
any* action that happened more than 1 nweek ago is legalized, even if previ=
ously ruled illegal by a CFJ.  Rule 129 is severely, severely crippled.

Blessedly, there are no restrictions on what I must consider in making my r=
uling, so I'm not entirely limited to the letter of the rules.  I'm going t=
o be guided by game custom and go from there, staying within the letter of =
the rules as much as possible.

If we take rule 129 at face value, not only is rule 10 repealed, but also a=
 whole cavalcade of prior illegal actions must now be treated as if they we=
re legal.  It is my argument that rule 129 is directly opposed to current g=
ame custom, because as a matter of course we have *not* treated as legal *a=
ny* of these prior actions, and we would probably break the game irreparabl=
y if we did so for every single one of them.

Therefore, I hereby establish that our current interpretation of rule 129 i=
s that *recognized* actions are considered legal 1 nweek after their occurr=
ence, and only when not ruled illegal by a subsequent CFJ. =20

It's how we have been playing the game thus far, notwithstanding the letter=
 of rules 17 and 129.  Until we fix the rules, I'm going to let custom dict=
ate on this issue, but I hope everyone recognizes the point Uncle Psychosis=
 has quite glaringly made here.

I highly recommend overhauls to both rules, and plan to propose them myself=
 if no one else does so first this nweek.  Meanwhile, let's go with the int=
erpretation spelled out above, or we may have a very broken game on our han=
ds.

[[Note that an alternative way of treating this statement is to allow the e=
ffects of Rule 129 to apply, let the action attempt to occur, and then let =
rule 18 kick in to prevent it because a Rule Change in a signature line is =
not explicitly permitted by the rules. =20

However, that establishes a precedent for following the letter of Rule 129,=
 and in the process does a lot of unpleasant, game-breaking stuff.  I'm gen=
erally not a fan of unnecessarily avoiding unpleasantness caused by the leg=
al ingenuity of another player, but given the widespread consequences of th=
is particular judgement (well beyond the relatively trivial existence of ru=
le 10), and the fact that UP appears to be trying to make a conspicuous poi=
nt rather than maliciously break the game, I'm choosing to avoid it. =20

Otherwise, note that we'd have precedent for now considering legal the acti=
ons of CFJ 227, CFJ 234, CFJ 249, CFJ 251, etcetera.  Mayhem for players an=
d administrator alike.]]=20

--Scoff!

Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 16:46:03 -0500
Subject: spoon-business: How does this look?
From: Wonko <[email-masked]>
To: Business Nomic <[email-masked]>
Blobman: 1
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

{{
__Stil a Few Bugs in the System__

Amend rule 17 by replacing the sentence,
'Actions occur upon reaching the appropriate Fora.'
with,
'Actions cannot occur unless they are recognized by the Administrator. When
an Action is recognized by the Administrator, it is treated as if it had
happened at the time when it reached the appropriate Fora. The Administrator
must recognize all actions unless e believes an action is either illegal or
destructive of play. The Admin must recognize all CFJ's. If the Admin
refuses to recognize an Action, e must declare so in a Public Forum. All
recognitions and refusals of recognition must happen in the same
chronological order as the Actions they respond to arrived in a Public
Forum.'

[[Thus, really bad ideas can be culled by the Admin, but e must recognize it
if a CFJ challenges eir lack of Recognition. The chronology bit ensures that
if I give someone 10 points to pay off Luigi and its not recognized until
after the end of the nweek, e gets the points before Luigi comes.]]

Amend rule 28 to add the sentence 'All fora which have not been designated
as Public are Private.'

[[So now, if two players have a spoken conversation, we know that that's not
a Public Forum.]]

Amend rule 128 to replace the text,
'A Judge's decision shall have the force of law.'
with
'If an Action is found to be illegal by a CFJ, it may not be recognized by
the Admin or, if it already was, it is treated as if it were not recognized.
If an Action which the Admin refused to recognize is found to be legal by a
CFJ, it shall be treated as if it were recognized.'

[Much better than that 'Force of Law' garbage.]]

Remove the last paragraph of rule 129, then remove the last sentence of rule
129.

[[Just some cleanup. Actions don't happen until they're recognized, so no
changes are needed to prevent future "I repeal Rule 10" scams.]]

If there is a rule 10, repeal it.
Create a new Rule:
{{
__Follow The Rules__

All game entities and the Administrator must always abide by all the Rules
then in effect, in the form in which they are then in effect.
}}{*(uncategorized),10*}
Change the aforementioned rule's serial number to 10/1.

[[Rule 10 may look useless, but the important word there is 'all'. Without
it, what rules people are compelled to follow are unregulated, so I could
say "I declare myself immune to Bandwidth Rationing" and hey!, it's
permitted!]]
}}

-- 
Wonko
Semper ubi sub ubi.

From: "Tyler Crosby" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: grid actions
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 21:58:23 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I buy a pinball gun.

-0- Thus Spake The Voice -0-
*Ignore this signature if :
1) it doesn't make sense to you
2) it seems outdated
3) you feel moved to make a sarcastic comment
4) you didn't read to the end of this list.
Thank you, and have a nice day.*

_________________________________________________________________
Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com

Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 23:00:05 -0500
From: "Donald Whytock" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: throwing things
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Luigi and the King Gremlin should both be in limbo right now.  I'll pick=
 them up, then throw Luigi at Congenital Optimist and the King at Iain.

						Glotmorf

Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:43:41 +0000 (GMT)
From: ID Scott <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: spoon-business: throwing things
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I catch the King. I throw it back to Glotmorf.

cheers,
Iain

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Donald Whytock wrote:

> Luigi and the King Gremlin should both be in limbo right now.  I'll pick them up, then throw Luigi at Congenital Optimist and the King at Iain.
> 
> 						Glotmorf
> 
> 
> 

From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 08:18:18 -0500
Subject: spoon-business: Proosal: Kill this man.
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

<proosal>
<title>Kill this man.</title>
<body>
As it is written:
Add "Garth Brooks" to the LOGAS.
So let it be done.
</body>
</proosal>

uin.
-- 

_______________________________________________
Sign-up for your own FREE Personalized E-mail at Mail.com
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Win a ski trip!
http://www.nowcode.com/register.asp?affiliate=1net2phone3a

From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 08:25:30 -0500
Subject: spoon-business: Proosal: So damn ugly.
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

<proosal>
<title>So damn ugly.</title>
<body>
@@@
Amend rule 129 by replacing the current text with the following MONUMENTOFGRANITE-delimited text:
MONUMENTOFGRANITE
20 days after the Administrator, in a message to all players, makes any statement about the rules or game state, the rules and gamestate shall be altered what they now would be had that statement been true at the time it was made, unless in the intervening time any player objects to the statement in a message to all players, in which case the usual methods for determining the current rules and game state shall apply.

This rule takes precedence over all other rules.
MONUMENTOFGRANITE
[["It's simple, succinct, and elegant.  What more could you want?" - Bean]]
[[Now with added lack of dependence on other rules. Slightly more redundancy, but slightly more ability to get us out of a broken game / paradox situation.]]
@@@
</body>
</proosal>
-- 

_______________________________________________
Sign-up for your own FREE Personalized E-mail at Mail.com
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Win a ski trip!
http://www.nowcode.com/register.asp?affiliate=1net2phone3a

Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 09:35:41 -0600 (CST)
From: "Karin L. Kross" <[email-masked]>
To: B Nomic Business <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: throwing things
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Tyler Crosby wrote:

> I would do that in a public forum...

Erk.  Thanks.
 
Correctly now: I catch Luigi.

-- 
[email-masked] | http://seishonagon.org
"don't you know there ain't no devil
 there's just god when he's drunk"
 (Tom Waits "Heartattack and Vine")

Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 17:58:45 +0000 (GMT)
From: "David E. Smith" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: The Daily Recognizer (Thursday morning)
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Been busy with Real Life (TM). Sorry for the delay.

Today's episode is brought to you by "Once More, With Feeling," the really
weird musical episode of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" that my roomies want
me to burn on a VCD, but I can't get it to work - the video works, but the
audio track keeps disappearing and I don't know why. Grr. I'm glad blank
CDs are cheap.

"A Whole New Ball of Wax" is 368/0.
Congenital Optimist has ruled (sorta) on CFJ 338.

Glotmorf's attempted Kick in Scoff!'s Ass failed, since it wasn't phrased
in the precise form required by the ass-kicking rule.

Hm. It may be a moot point anyway: The Voice requests a CFJ on that very
same subject. CFJ 369, assigned to Congenital Optimist.

"Precedents, Schmrecedents" is 370/0.

Dan's "Judgement/Proposal overhaul" is 371/0.

Dan (in Limbo) snags the PIG and throws it at Scoff!, then declares Gender
and enters The Grid.

Dan's "This ruleset isn't big enough for the both of us!" is 372/0
(rectified: I closed off your big comment at the end.)

Wonko buys a Big Rock (targeted) for 21 points. It lands at (9,12) with a
nice thud. No Siren, sadly.

Wonko buys a Pinball Gun.

Scoff!'s "Fixing my own mistakes" is 373/0.
"Judicial Rear View" is 374/0.

Scoff! has ruled on CFJ 325. And it's a doozy. If you just skimmed it
earlier, go read it. It rivals my "Secret Wars" de-twisting of the
mass-forfeiture logic. Most impressive. (Someone oughta give me Style
Points or something so I can dole 'em out like candy for coolness such as
this.)

Wonko's "Still a Few Bugs in the System" is rectified ("stil"->"still" in
the title) and recognized (375/0).

As Wonko pointed out, those un-caught Gremlins bounced: The Bandwidth
Gremlin bounces off Scoff! (who loses 2 points to Wonko), the Witch
Gremlin bounces off Rob (4 points), and Uncle Psychosis forgot to duck
the Scoring Gremlin (1 point).

The Voice buys a pinball gun.

Luigi is airborne (dest. Congenital Optimist).
The King Gremlin is airborne (Iain).

Congenital Optimist catches Luigi. Whee!
Iain (in Limbo, I believe) catches the King Gremlin and tosses it back to
Glotmorf.

UIN's "Kill this man." is 376/0.
"So damn ugly." is 377/0.

Uncle Psychosis' "Sore" expires.
Glotmorf's "Kicker of Asses" expires.

The following Grid Actions are acknowledged (since they don't occur til
the end of the nweek):
Congenital Optimist's move
The Voice's move
Wonko's move

The following doesn't technically occur until this evening (when nday 6
begins) but I'm doing it now to get it out of the way:

The Yeti moves around a whole lot. From (13,6) it moves to:
12,7
13,7
13,5 (moving through 13,6 which is already Frozen)
14,6
17,9 (15,7 and 16,8 are Frozen)
18,8
19,9
19,10

...dave

From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 13:06:27 -0500
Subject: spoon-business: CFJ
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

<CFJ>
<statement>
Baron von Skippy has the sushi.
</statement>
<defendant>
Baron von Skippy
</defendant>
<analysis>
He tried to give it to me, but failed, as per CFJ 280.
[[This CFJ would seem to be neccessary, per Scoff!'s judgement on CFJ325 (not to mention the admin's persistent ignoring of me pointing this out. ;-))]].
</analysis>
</CFJ>

uin.
-- 

_______________________________________________
Sign-up for your own FREE Personalized E-mail at Mail.com
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Win a ski trip!
http://www.nowcode.com/register.asp?affiliate=1net2phone3a

From: Antonio <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: i'm off leave!
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 21:17:36 +0100
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I declare myself Off leave
--=20
Antonio

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 23:12:44 -0500
To: [email-masked]
From: Eric Gerlach <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Poetry and Poverty
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Here goes, my last day additions to the ballot!  (Just wait, there might be 
a last minute one!)

REVISION
--------

Revise Proposal 362 to read:
[[ Because I just realised it's useless, as you can throw Gremlins from 
Limbo to the Grid ]]
{{
__Poetry In Motion__

If Proposal 343 passed, Create a rule:
{{
__Poetic Forms__

Proposals may be sumbitted in a Poetic Form.  Poetic Forms are sets of 
restrictions that are defined to be such by the ruleset.  If a proposal 
confroming to a Poetic Form passes, its proponent recieves 5 points, and e 
earns the Form Bonus of any forms the proposal conformed to.
}}

Otherwise, create a rule:
{{
__Poetic Forms__

Proposals may be sumbitted in a Poetic Form.  Poetic Forms are sets of 
restrictions that are defined to be such by the ruleset.  If a proposal 
confroming to a Poetic Form passes, its proponent recieves 5 points, eir 
Respect is increased by one, and e earns the Form Bonus of any forms the 
proposal conformed to.
}}

[[ The "if" clause is just to avoid giving respect to people if it doesn't 
exist ]]

Regardless of the outcome of Proposal 343, perform the following:

Create a rule:
{{
__The Limerick__

A Limerick is a Poetic Form.  To be a Limerick, a Proposal must conform to 
all the following restrictions:

1) It must be 5 lines in length, including or excluding the title.
2) Lines 1, 2, and 5 must rhyme, and each be three poetic feet in length.
3) Lines 3 and 4 must rhyme, and each be two poetic feet in length.
4) Comments are excluded from all the above restrictions.

The Form Bonus for a Limerick is 4 points.
}}

Create a rule:
{{
__The Cinquain__

A Cinquain is a Poetic Form.  To be a Cinquain, a Proposal must conform to 
all the following restrictions:

1) It must be 5 lines in length, including or excluding the title.
2) Line 1 must be two syllables in length.
3) Line 2 must be four syllables in length.
4) Line 3 must be six syllables in length.
5) Line 4 must be eight syllables in length.
6) Line 5 must be two syllables in length.
7) Comments are excluded from all the above restrictions.

The Form Bonus for a Cinquain is 3 points.
}}

Revise Rule 357 as follows:

- Replace the text: "A player who submits a proposal in haiku form earns 10 
Score points if the proposal is adopted, in addition to any points received 
as a normal consequence of the adoption of a proposal." with the text: 
"Haiku Form is a Poetic Form.  The Form Bonus for Haiku Form is 5 points."

[[ Whee!  More poetry! ]]
}}

PROPOSAL
--------
{{

Create a rule:
{{
__Vow of Poverty__

{{
A player may take a Vow of Poverty by posting eir intention to do so in a 
public forum.

If a player who has taken a Vow of Poverty gives points to another player, 
eir respect increases by 0.005 for every point given.  [[ i.e., give 200 
points to another player for one respect ]] If a player who has taken a Vow 
of Poverty gives points to the Scoring Gremlin, e gains 0.01 respect for 
each point given.  [[ i.e. give 100 points to the Scoring Gremlin for one 
respect ]]

Unless e is On Leave, at the end of the first nday of every nweek a player 
loses 0.1 respect for every point e has.  If a player is On Leave at the 
end of the first nday of an nweek, one nday after e becomes Off Leave e 
loses 0.1 respect for every point e has.
}}

Revise Rule 296, replacing "Whenever a proposal is recognized, if the 
Scoring Gremlin is Active," with "Whenever a proposal is recognized, if the 
Scoring Gremlin is Active, out of all players who have not taken a Vow of 
Poverty".  Then replace "If the player with the lowest" [[Last sentence, 
first paragraph]] with "If, out of the players who have not taken a Vow of 
Poverty, the player with the lowest".

If Proposal 361 failed, add the following text to the end of rule 296:
"Players may give points to the Scoring Gremlin in the same manner as 
giving points to other players.

The Scoring Gremlin initially has 100 Points. This paragraph shall then be 
deleted from the rules."

}}

[[ You know, I had a good Limerick to replace my "slowing down GremBall" 
proposal too... I was all excited about that.

Mr. Admin don't flip your lid.
Take all Gremlins off of The Grid.
Then to The Grid bring
Gremlins PIG, Witch and King;
And of GremBall too fast we'll be rid.

But of course that still wouldn't do anything... damn my feeble human brain!
]]

Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 23:31:17 -0500
Subject: spoon-business: One more revision
From: Wonko <[email-masked]>
To: Business Nomic <[email-masked]>
Blobman: 1
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I amend my proposal entitled:
__Run, Run, As Fast As You Can!__
To replace the word nweek wherever it occurs with Checkpoint, and then to
add the following:
{{
Amend rule 301 to replace the word 'nweek' in the last two paragraphs with
'Checkpoint' and insert the following paragraph between the third to last
and second to last paragraphs:

'From the beginning of the first day of each nweek to the end of the 5th day
is called a Checkpoint. The beginning of the 6th nday of each nweek to the
end of the 10th day is also a Checkpoint.'
}}
[[There. Move at two times per nweek, just like the Yeti. That's still five
days to move.]]

-- 
Wonko
Semper ubi sub ubi.

Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 23:41:40 -0500
Subject: spoon-business: One last(I hope) fix
From: Wonko <[email-masked]>
To: Business Nomic <[email-masked]>
Blobman: 1
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I amend proposal 375 to add the following STIL delimited text:
STIL
Give each rule the NotKeywords assigned to them by the admistrator as
Keywords.

Amend rule 300 to add the sentence "The Administrator may assign any Keyword
to any rule at eir discretion".
STIL

Rationale: It's done anyway; Let's make it all official.

-- 
Wonko
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.

Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 00:00:57 -0500
From: "Donald Whytock" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: new proposal: let's get personal
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

{{ _And We Can Make Little Outfits For Them Too!_

In Rule 296, replace the text "known as the Scoring Gremlin" with "known as=
 the Scoring Gremlin, also known as Enrique".

In Rule 297, replace the text "known as the Witch Gremlin" with "known as=
 the Witch Gremlin, also known as Agatha".

In Rule 347, replace the text "called the King Gremlin" with "called the=
 King Gremlin, also known as Elvis".

}}

[[For the life of me, I couldn't think of a name for the Bandwidth=
 Gremlin...]]

Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 00:02:47 -0500
From: "Donald Whytock" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Proposal mod: 364
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

In p364, replace "Inactive" with "Hiding".

Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 00:03:38 -0500
From: "Donald Whytock" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Proposal mod: 365
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

In p365, replace "Inactive" with "Hiding".

Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 00:51:06 -0500
From: "Donald Whytock" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: gremball
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Since Iain is on the Grid after all, and threw the King Gremlin back at me,=
 I'll catch it and sling it at Bean.

						Glotmorf

Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 01:00:55 -0500
To: [email-masked]
From: Eric Gerlach <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: spoon-business: gremball
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

In the quickest turnaround in GremBall history, I catch the King Gremlin 
and I lob it at The Style Police.

Bean

At 12:51 AM 2002-02-08 -0500, you wrote:
>Since Iain is on the Grid after all, and threw the King Gremlin back at 
>me, I'll catch it and sling it at Bean.
>
>                                                 Glotmorf

From: "Tyler Crosby" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: last-minute stuff
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 01:00:02 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Here we go... I apologize in advance.

1)As Wonko's proposal does what my proposal does, while doing it better, I:
{{
Replace the text of proposal 370/0 with the following -0- delimited text and 
retitle it __Windows aren't all bad!__:

-0-
Create a new rule entitled __The Window Gremlins__ with the following text:

{{
There exist two gremlins, The Window Gremlin and The Other Window Gremlin, 
also known as Curt and Rod respectively.  If a player inhabits the same 
square on The Grid as Curt or Rod, or is in Limbo with Curt or Rod, e may 
move directly to the other (known as "Climbing through the Window") by 
declaring eir intention to do so in a Public Forum.  If Curt or Rod is in 
the possesion of a player who Climbs through the Window, that player loses 
possesion of Curt or Rod.  If at any point, Curt and Rod inhabit the same 
space on The Grid, they both go into Hiding.  If Curt or Rod is Hiding and 
the other is Active, the Active one goes into Hiding.  If Checkpoints exist, 
Curt and Rod both become Active at the begininng of every Checkpoint.  If 
Checkpoints do not exist, Curt and Rod become Active at the beginning of the 
first and sixth ndays of each nweek.  Whenever Curt and Rod become Active, 
Curt is placed on a random square on The Grid with an x value of 1, and Rod 
is placed on a random square on The Grid with a x value of 20.
}}
-0-

2)A new proposal: sorry Dave, but this one might take some work.  It will 
all get better at the bottom of the message.  More uses for this will come 
soon.

{{
__Weather__

Create a new rule, entitled __Weather__ with the following -0- delimited 
text:

-0-
There exists Weather on the Grid.  The Weather has characteristics, which 
are the same as the weather where the administrator resides (or in another 
place of his choosing). Characteristics are updated at the beginning of each 
Checkpoint, if Checkpoints exist, or at the beginning of the first and sixth 
nday of each nweek, if Checkpoints do not exist.

Temperature is a Characteristic.
If the temperature on the Grid is above freezing, all Frozen squares melt 
and become Wet.  If the temperature on the Grid is below freezing, all Wet 
squares freeze and become Frozen, and the Yeti enters the Grid at a random 
location if e is in Limbo.  If the temperature on the Grid is above freezing 
for 3 straight Characteristic changes, all Wet squares cease to be Wet and 
the Yeti goes into Limbo.
-0-
[[More will be added later if this passes...  This could get fun.]]
}}

3)Yet another proposal, as I must use my ration of bandwidth for the nweek.

{{
__The Yoyo Gremlin__

Create a new rule, entitled __The Yoyo Gremlin__ with the following -0- 
delimited text:

-0-
There exists a gremlin known as the Yoyo Gremlin.  If the Yoyo Gremlin is 
thrown at a player and is not caught, it returns to the possesion of the 
player who threw it.  If it is caught, it goes into Hiding for one nweek.
-0-
[[Just kinda fun...]]
[[And we like Gremlins...]]
}}

4)One more substantial proposal, I swear!
{{
__Tilt__

Amend rule 301/1 by adding the following () delimited paragraph:
()
The Grid is divided into Quadrants.  The SW Quadrant is composed of all 
squares with x values between 1 and 10 inclusive, and y values between 1 and 
10 inclusive.  The SE Quadrant is composed of all squares with x values 
between 11 and 20 inclusive, and y values between 1 and 10 inclusive.  The 
NW Quadrant is composed of all squares with x values between 1 and 10 
inclusive, and y values between 11 and 20 inclusive.  The NE Quadrant is 
composed of all squares with x values between 11 and 20 inclusive, and y 
values between 11 and 20 inclusive.
()

Create a new rule, entitled __Tilt__, with the following -0- delimited text:

-0-
At the beginning of each nweek, the number of items on the Tilt List present 
in each Quadrant of the Grid shall be calculated.  The Grid will be then 
said to "Tilt" in the direction of the Quadrant which has the highest number 
of the objects on the Tilt List.  All objects on the list below will then 
move two spaces in the direction of that Quadrant (i.e. if it Tilts to the 
SE quadrant, all objects on the Tilt List move two spaces diagonally down 
and right).  If this movement would cause an object to move off of the Grid, 
it is put into Limbo.

The Tilt List is as follows:
1)Big Rocks
2)Big Sticks
3)Shields
4)Gremlins not in the possesion of a player
[[any suggestions would be nice...]]
-0-

Amend rule 356/0 by adding the following -00- delimited paragraph:

-00-
If the Big Rock on which a Siren is sitting moves, the Siren moves with it.  
If a Siren moves, any players in that Siren's ZOE move the same distance in 
the same direction (eir position relative to the Siren remains the same).  
If Sirens go into Limbo, they are destroyed.
-00-
}}

5) And finally, the proposal which will get me back on Dave's good side 
after all that and give us some time to catch our collective breath:

{{
__Ahh....__

Create a new rule entitled __A Breather__ with the following -0- delimited 
text:

-0-
At the beginning of every nweek, the following things shall occur in order 
immediately:

1)The following () delimited paragraph shall be appended to the end of rule 
3/4:
()
While the Clock is Off, Judgements may be passed and enacted on current 
CFJs.
()

2)The Clock will be turned Off.

When the Watch reads 1 wweek, the following things shall occur in order 
immediately:

1)The final paragraph of rule 3/5 shall be deleted.

2)The Clock will be turned On.

3)This rule will repeal itself.
-0-

[[The purpose of this is to give Dave some time to effectively make all the 
changes to his DB and the website without being overwhelmed by Real Life 
(TM) and without us piling on more stuff...  It also gives us a little break 
time and an opportunity to clear up any outstanding CFJs we have...  This is 
really a good idea folks, think about it.  Do it for Mr. Administrator.]]
}}

*wipes sweat from brow*
There we go.
Mental note: keep up with proposals so I don't have to stay up late typing 
again...

-0- Thus Spake The Voice -0-
*Ignore this signature if :
1) it doesn't make sense to you
2) it seems outdated
3) you feel moved to make a sarcastic comment
4) you didn't read to the end of this list.
Thank you, and have a nice day.*

_________________________________________________________________
Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. 
http://www.hotmail.com

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 01:12:05 -0500
From: Rob Speer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Repress the PIG
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I bribe the King Gremlin with 10 Points to repress the PIG.

[[ Resubmitting the proposal would be cheap. ]]
-- 
Rob Speer

Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 01:12:14 -0500
From: "Donald Whytock" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Revised ptime proposal
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Okay, I held a seance and asked Dad the Lawyer how I should go about the=
 proposal.  He came up with something, but because y'all don't recognize=
 noncorporeal players I'll just have to shamelessly take full credit for it=
 myself...

{{ _The Pause that Refreshes_

Create the following rule with serial number 0:

{{ _Emergency Management_

There exists, in the context of the game that contains this rule (hereafter=
 in this rule known as "The Game"), a procedure called the Emergency=
 Management procedure.  The Emergency Management procedure (hereafter in=
 this rule known as "The Procedure") will be followed in the event of an=
 Emergency, as recognized by the majority of the most recently formally=
 recognized body of players in The Game.

An Emergency, in the context of this rule, is any event or circumstance,=
 not already provided for in the rules of the Game, that prevents the=
 continuance of the Game.  Emergencies include, but are not limited to, the=
 following:

- The failure of, or lack of access to, the hosting services and/or=
 equipment used to administer the Game (hereafter in this rule known as=
 "The Host") for a period of seven days.

- The failure of, or absence of, the person recognized as performing the=
 administrative duties of the Game (hereafter in this rule known as "The=
 Administrator") for a period of seven days.

- The existence of a paradoxical condition that cannot be resolved under=
 the current set of rules.

The Procedure is as follows:

1. Game time is stopped.  Whatever means used in the Game to track time is=
 stopped as of the beginning of the Emergency.  Pending events and=
 deadlines relative to Game time, with the exception of those specified in=
 this rule, are postponed until Game time resumes.  Pending events and=
 deadlines with absolute dates and times do not occur.

2. A Forum is established.  The Procedure depends upon the availability of=
 a means for players and an Administrator to communicate (hereafter in this=
 rule known as "The Forum").  If a Forum does not exist or is not=
 available, players will establish one by contacting one another and=
 agreeing upon a new Forum.  If a new Forum cannot be agreed upon, the Game=
 ends.

3. An Administrator is established.  If an Administrator does not exist or=
 is not available, players will establish one from amongst themselves via=
 the Forum.  If an Administrator cannot be agreed upon, the Game ends.

4. The Pause is initialized.  The Procedure tracks time spent using the=
 Pause.  When the Procedure is begun, the Pause is zero; thereafter, until=
 the completion of the Procedure, the Pause is increased by one each day at=
 00:00:00 UTC.

5. Refresh Proposals are submitted.  The Forum will be used to submit,=
 discuss, select and implement proposed changes to the state of the Game=
 (hereafter in this rule known as "Refresh Proposals") for the purpose of=
 either resuming or ending the Game.  Players and the Administrator may=
 each submit a Refresh Proposal.  Refresh Proposals may affect any aspect=
 of the Game or the state of the Game, including, but not limited to:=
 rules, scores or other player attributes, the valid list of players, the=
 identity of the Host or the Administrator, the legitimacy and/or actuality=
 of any action taken in the context of the Game, etc.

6. A first-round Ballot is formed.  When the value of the Pause is 5, the=
 Administrator will gather all submitted Refresh Proposals into a Ballot on=
 which players will vote.

7. First-round votes are cast.  Each player and the Administrator casts a=
 single vote to select one of the Refresh Proposals in the Ballot.  Votes=
 are cast by announcing them via the Forum.

8. First-round votes are counted.  When the value of the Pause is 7, the=
 Administrator will count all the submitted votes and announce to the Forum=
 which Refresh Proposal received the largest number of votes.  If only one=
 Refresh Proposal received the largest number of votes, it is implemented=
 by the Administrator and the Procedure ends; otherwise the Procedure=
 continues to Step 9.

9. A second-round Ballot is formed. Refresh Proposals that tied for the=
 largest number of votes received in the prior Ballot will be gathered into=
 a second Ballot on which players will vote.

10. Second-round votes are cast.  Each player and the Administrator casts a=
 single vote to select one of the Refresh Proposals in the second Ballot.=
  Votes are cast by announcing them via the Forum.

11. Second-round votes are counted.  When the value of the Pause is 9, the=
 Administrator will count all the submitted votes and announce to the Forum=
 which Refresh Proposal in the second Ballot received the largest number of=
 votes.  If only one Refresh Proposal received the largest number of votes,=
 it is selected for implementation; otherwise the Administrator selects one=
 of the Refresh Proposals.

12. Selected Refresh Proposal is implemented.  The Refresh Proposal=
 selected from the second Ballot is implemented by the Administrator and=
 the Procedure ends.

}}

}}

Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 01:15:43 -0500
From: "Donald Whytock" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: spoon-business: Revised ptime proposal
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

On 2/8/02 at 1:12 AM Donald Whytock wrote:

>{{ _The Pause that Refreshes_

Sorry...This was meant to be a total replacement of p367.

						Glotmorf

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 01:35:26 -0500
From: Rob Speer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: The Tank Race
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I propose: __The Final Frontier__

{{

1. Change the second paragraph of Rule 153 from
  {{ Players have an attribute called their Distance, which is calculated
  as the square root of (the sum of (the square of each of their
  Dimensions)). }}

to

  {{ Players have an attribute called their Displacement, which is their
  distance from the Origin in the Dimensions. }}

2. Change all remaining occurrences of the term 'Distance' in Rule 153
to 'Displacement'. 

3. Create a rule: __Space__
{{
A Space is a part of the game state in which it is possible to move in
multiple directions. In general, a player's position in each direction
is called a Component.

The two Spaces that currently exist are the Dimensions, where each
Dimension is a Component, and the Grid, where the X and Y values are the
two Components.

Each Space has a Metric which specifies how Distance is measured there.
The Grid uses the Cartesian Metric, while the Dimensions use the
Manhattan Metric.

The three possible Metrics are:
* The chessboard metric, in which the Distance between two objects is
  the maximum of the differences of each Component.
* The Manhattan metric, in which the Distance between two objects is the
  sum of (the differences of each Component).
* The Cartesian metric (also called the Euclidean metric) in which the
  Distance between two objects is the square root of (the sum of (the
  squares of (the differences of each Component))).

}}
}}

[[ No more decimals in the Dimensions, and this allows me to re-propose
The Rat Race with much easier to calculate hamster balls. ]]

-- 
Rob Speer

From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 09:31:26 -0500
Subject: spoon-business: CFJ 318
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Statement:
"Given that 
(a) the word 'yea' is synonymous with 'yes' or any affirmative indication 
(b) the spirit of the law and game custom indicates that 'yea' should be interpreted as 'yes' or any affirmative indication 
then the Token of Proposals is not awarded to Wonko since he did not receive the most affirmative votes." 
Response: False.
Analysis:
The first of the 2 givens is certainly true. The second of the 2 is also true, as written. If the rule had said "the most yea votes", I would have ruled true. If the rule had said "the most 'yea' votes", I would rule false, as that would clearly be intended to refer to the literal string, not it's meaning. The rule actually said "the most YEA votes", and I hereby rule that the capitalisation served the same function as the quotes in my example.

I note in passing that I almost refused to judge this, as it was phrased as a hypothetical. The statement, I feel, should have been "Token of Proposals is not awarded to Wonko", with the rest presented as analysis.
:sisylanA

uin.
-- 

_______________________________________________
Sign-up for your own FREE Personalized E-mail at Mail.com
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Win a ski trip!
http://www.nowcode.com/register.asp?affiliate=1net2phone3a

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 08:33:10 -0600 (CST)
From: "Karin L. Kross" <[email-masked]>
To: B Nomic Business <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Gremball action
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I toss Luigi at Glotmorf.

-- 
[email-masked] | http://seishonagon.org
"don't you know there ain't no devil
 there's just god when he's drunk"
 (Tom Waits "Heartattack and Vine")

From: "Jonathan Van Matre" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 08:33:26 -0600
Subject: spoon-business: GremBall and Grid Move for the nweek
content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I pick up the Bandwidth Gremlin and throw it at Bean.

I catch the PIG and throw it at Dan.

I catch the King Gremlin and throw it at Wonko.

I move to (17,13).

From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 09:37:33 -0500
Subject: spoon-business: Proosal 377 revision
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I revise proosal 377 by removing the 2 instances of "@@@", and by replacing "altered what" with "altered to what".

I give 1 point to Wonko.

uin.
-- 

_______________________________________________
Sign-up for your own FREE Personalized E-mail at Mail.com
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Win a ski trip!
http://www.nowcode.com/register.asp?affiliate=1net2phone3a

From: "Tyler Crosby" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: grid page
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 09:45:19 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Umm... as he forfeited, shouldn't gritter not be on the Grid anymore?

-0- Thus Spake The Voice -0-
*Ignore this signature if :
1) it doesn't make sense to you
2) it seems outdated
3) you feel moved to make a sarcastic comment
4) you didn't read to the end of this list.
Thank you, and have a nice day.*

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: 
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx

Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 10:20:34 -0500
Subject: spoon-business: The King
From: Wonko <[email-masked]>
To: Business Nomic <[email-masked]>
Blobman: 1
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I catch the King Gremlin and throw it at Scoff!
Wheee!
-- 
Wonko
Furnulum pani nolo.

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 10:21:09 -0500 (EST)
From: Eric Gerlach <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Doin stuff
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Okay, I move to (13, 5), and thereby slide all the way to (13,8).

I'd also like to make a quick revision to Proposal 342 (Football):

<revision proposal="342">
Add the following as a new paragraph after the one about "Tackling":

"Players playing football may not use Elbonian Airways."
</revision>

... because if they could it would be silly.  "I've got the football... oh
look, I fly to the endzone.  Yay me."

Bean

From: "Jonathan Van Matre" <[email-masked]>
To: "Business Nomic" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 09:23:44 -0600
Subject: RE: spoon-business: The King
content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I catch the King Gremlin and throw it at gritter.  Whee!

--Scoff!

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Wonko [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 9:21 AM
> To: Business Nomic
> Subject: spoon-business: The King
>=20
>=20
> I catch the King Gremlin and throw it at Scoff!
> Wheee!
> --=20
> Wonko
> Furnulum pani nolo.
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 10:29:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Eric Gerlach <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: spoon-business: GremBall and Grid Move for the nweek
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Jonathan Van Matre wrote:

> I pick up the Bandwidth Gremlin and throw it at Bean.

Oh yeah, I catch the Bandwidth Gremlin.  I put it down.

This is gonna get crazy fast methinks.

Bean

From: "Alex Truelsen" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Make the hurting stop...
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 12:32:13 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I go away for four days, and suddenly I'm even more in the dark about this 
game than I was before I left...

I return from leave.

I take the Cursed Sushi of Babel from Uncle Psychosis.

I give, if it is legal, -1 of my -2 Activity points to Wonko, and -1 of my 
-2 Activity points to The Voice.

I change my name to what it should always have been on the grounds that this 
name is SHORTER than 255 characters, so it's legal. That is, "Prince 
Superior of the RICV, Baron Skippy, Lord of Squirrels, Master of the State 
of Hallucinations, Minister of the ULC of Modesto, Calif., and Generator of 
Oddities and Entities."

I pause for a moment and twiddle my thumbs...

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.

From: "Alex Truelsen" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: The pain ends
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 12:35:29 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

As soon as all of the actions of the previous post of mine are recognized, I 
forfeit the game. Not a moment before, though. Sorry folks, I can't keep up 
with y'all. I'll stick with my other Nomic game, thanks...

                             -The guy with the REALLY long name,-
                            -Previously known as Baron von Skippy-

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 16:15:00 -0600 (CST)
From: "Karin L. Kross" <[email-masked]>
To: B Nomic Business <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Re: spoon-discuss: change what... 
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

> > Garthing a Brook could be dropping a Big Rock into it to make a Big=
> >  Splash...
> > 
> > 						Glotmorf

All right then.  Create a rule as follows:

{{
__Water, Water Everywhere__

There exist Passable Stationary Grid Objects called Brooks.  A 
Brook appears when a formerly Frozen grid square ceases to be 
Frozen.  [[I'm melting!  I'm melting!!]]

If a Player moves into a Brook, e gains the attribute Wet.

When a Big Rock is dropped into a Brook, e commits the act of
Garthing a Brook, and the Brook gains the attribute "Garthed".  
Each Player, Gremlin, or MO in the grid squares immediately
adjoining the Brook (vertically, horizontally, or diagonally)  
gains the attribute Wet.

The attribute of Wet lasts until the end of the nweek.

}}

-- 
[email-masked] | http://seishonagon.org
"don't you know there ain't no devil
 there's just god when he's drunk"
 (Tom Waits "Heartattack and Vine")

Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 07:15:59 +0000 (GMT)
From: "David E. Smith" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: The Daily Recognizer (Friday night/Saturday morning)
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Yes, it's that time again...

Today's edition of "The Daily Recognizer" is brought to you by the lovely
and talented Michelle Branch.

Uncle Psychosis' sushi CFJ is 378, assigned to The Voice.

Antonio is Off Leave. (Remember, Antonio, if you don't vote this nweek,
you'll automatically go back on Forced Leave.)

CFJs 280 and 341 have been Judged.

362 has been completely rewritten to "Poetry in Motion" (362/1).
"Vow of Poverty" is 379/0.

Wonko's checkpoint revision is added (359/2).
Wonko's keywords revision is added (375/1).

Glotmorf's "And We Can Make Little Outfits For Them Too!" is 380/0.
Glotmorf's typo fix on 364 is recognized (364/1).

Glotmorf catches the King Gremlin and tosses it at Bean.

(Aside: For the life of me, I can't find Glotmorf anywhere. Did e, in
fact, enter the Grid at some point?)

Bean catches the King Gremlin and lobs it at Scoff!.

"Windows aren't all bad!" is 370/1.

"Weather" is 381/0. And you don't want to base the weather on my
location... it's notoriously screwy. In the past two weeks we've had snow,
ice, and highs of 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

"The Yoyo Gremlin" is 382/0.
"Tilt" is 383/0. (You people just enjoy torturing me, don't you?)
"Ahh..." is 384/0. (Previous statement retracted.)

Rob bribes the King Gremlin, repressing the PIG. (Rob, I'm taking a bit of
privilege here: Since Gremlin numbers are always rounded up, it actually
costs 11 points, not 10, to Repress the PIG. I'm proceeding as though this
is acceptable to you; if not, let me know and you'll get a full refund. :)

"The Pause That Refreshes" is 367/1. I suddenly feel very fatalistic for
some inexplicable reason.

Rob's "The Final Frontier" is 385/0.

Uncle Psychosis has Judged CFJ318.

Congenital Optimist lobs Luigi towards Glotmorf (wherever e's gotten off
to...)

Scoff! juggles Gremlins! The Bandwidth Gremlin is bound for Bean, the PIG
for Dan, and the King Gremlin for Wonko. (Your move is queued for the end
of the nweek.)

Uncle Psychosis revises "So damn ugly." (377/1) and gives 1 point to
Wonko.

Gremlins are flying madly about - Wonko catches the King Gremlin and lobs
it right back at Scoff!.

Bean's move is queued.

Bean revises 342 (342/2).

Scoff! catches the King Gremlin and throws it at gritter's corpse. The
King Gremlin is surprisingly aerodynamic, and arrives in zero time.
Unfortunately, gritter's corpse is not terribly resilient, and
disintegrates upon impact. (I'm just cleaning up here. ;)

Bean catches the Bandwidth Gremlin.

Baron von Skippy, upon returning from Leave, takes the Cursed Sushi of
Babel from, well, whoever owns the darn thing. (This will become important
in a moment.) E tries to give away negative activity points, but I don't
think it's legal to do so. E changes eir name to "Really Long String That
I'm Not Gonna Retype."

Baron von Skippy tries to forfeit, but can't, because e forgot to Sushi
eir action. (This means unless someone volunteers to take the Sushi away
from em, e's stuck with it for several weeks. This will, I suspect, make
life more pleasant for all of us.)

"Water, Water Everywhere" is 386/0.

An editorial: I prefer the one-based ndays because it better reflects the
calendars with which most of us are familiar. There's no February 0th, for
example.

Okay, that should be everything.

Whee!

Ooh, the "current proposals" page now suffers from the same problem as
the "current rules" page used to. Man, I need better cache management.
Since my goal is to reduce database queries, I'm not sure the "temp
tables" suggestion will work, but I'm digging out my MySQL O'Reilly book
even now.

Non-programmers/non-geeks may tune out now...

Here's my ultra-simplistic cache system: I have a "cache" directory that
has the really heavy (the hundreds o' queries) versions of these pages. I
also have, in my admin menu, an "update cache" link. What that does is,
fetch the pages in the cache directory, and store them as-is (except for
stripping HTTP headers), in big BLOBs in the "cache" table of the
database. Then the "real" /~g6/cur-rules.php page is just:

<?
include_once("cache.php");
cache_disp("cur-rules");
?>

There's no problem with the display page, obviously - it's hard to mess up
code that trivial. ;)  The problem is that these bigger pages (70k and up,
give or take) usually stall in the middle of loading, and (I'm guessing)
PHP thinks the transaction is concluded there. I'm on a cable modem, and I
can see where the page loads stall (at about 70k, give or take).

The idea is to reduce database load, obviously - pulling a page out of the
cache, after checking for freshness, is only two simple queries, while
generating some of these pages on-the-fly is a 50-100 complex-query job.

The cache system also has trivial aging - cache entries are timestamped,
and if a page is "stale" it gets a fresh copy to store in the database
before chucking it out to the user. (The code was designed for a site with
somewhat more frequent use, as you may have guessed.)

I've got the same code working on another Web site, regularly caching
pages of 200-300k, but that's on a somewhat beefier Web server than Joel's
home 'puter.

I may just have to accept this particular limitation, pending some really
clever ideas. I'm still got a few queries to optimize, but I'm growing
skeptical as to the benefits to be derived therefrom.

...dave

---- David E. Smith, POB 515045, St. Louis MO 63151
http://www.technopagan.org/    http://metadave.net/
http://www.bureau42.com/       http://whatIsay.com/

"Use anger to throw them into disarray." -- Sun Tzu

From: "Tyler Crosby" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: CFJ 378
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 09:29:04 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

CFJ 378:
Statement- Baron von Skippy has the Sushi.

Judgement- TRUE

Analysis- What UP said... refer to CFJ 280.

-0- Thus Spake The Voice -0-
*Ignore this signature if :
1) it doesn't make sense to you
2) it seems outdated
3) you feel moved to make a sarcastic comment
4) you didn't read to the end of this list.
Thank you, and have a nice day.*

_________________________________________________________________
Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com

From: "Alex Truelsen" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: spoon-business: The Daily Recognizer (Friday night/Saturday morning)
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 16:34:20 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Baron von Skippy tries to forfeit, but can't, because e forgot to Sushi
eir action. (This means unless someone volunteers to take the Sushi away
from em, e's stuck with it for several weeks. This will, I suspect, make
life more pleasant for all of us.)

-Detail fact! To I in detail fact the hymn which is not sourly! That time, 
or purify in the side of your rule which is a glow thing. The von with move 
of the Skippy I dog as overproduction the i.e which it knows, the bow, you 
small game the forfeit. Is free to me and hour height ten:00 bedspreads 
which are!-

                                           -BvS-

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: 
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx

Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 17:09:09 -0500
From: "Donald Whytock" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: GremBall
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I catch Luigi and throw it at Baron von Skippy, since e hasn't forfeited=
 and all.

Let's see if e can catch the Gremlin with eir tongue tied behind eir=
 back...

						Glotmorf

Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 18:32:39 -0500 (EST)
From: Dan <[email-masked]>
To: "'nomic-business'" <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Revision
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Append the following to the last non-comment paragraph of my proposal 372:

{{ 
If the two proposals of a passed opposed pair recieved the same number
of affirmitave votes then the member of the pair that recieved more
negative votes is made inactive and not enacted.  If the two proposals of
a passed opposed pair are tied for the same number of affirmitave and
negative votes then the proposal with the higher number is made inactive
and not enacted.
}}

The system is very simple.  If properly followed I guarantee it will not
allow proposals that should fail to pass, and it creates an easy and
equitable way for two or more players to cooperate in providing a choice
of directions in which to take this game.

Dan

From: "Alex Truelsen" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Aypay omesay espectray!
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 18:38:06 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Iyay otestpray isthay eivousgray offenseyay! Iyay earlyclay andyay egallylay 
angedchay ymay amenay, andyay Iyay antway atthay ecognizedray! Isthay isyay 
ayay iolationvay ofyay ethay ulesray! Ixfay ityay alreadyyay!

                                       -BvSay-

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: 
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx

Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 00:11:58 +0000 (GMT)
From: "David E. Smith" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: The Daily Recognizer (last pre-ballot edition)
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Dan submits a last-minute revision of 372 (372/1).

Glotmorf catches Luigi and tosses em towards Baron von Skippy. (For the
next day or two, I'm going to use the otherwise-unused square (1,1) to
record stuff in Limbo. It's clearly marked as "IN LIMBO". I'll try to have
something less ugly soon.

Baron von Skippy catches Luigi. Eir move is queued. E sets Luigi on fire -
there's not a rule against it, and it's darn funny - and lobs some
charbroiled GremlinBurgers towards the Yeti. (gritter's corpse also
catches flame enroute, covering the whole grid with the rather unpleasant
stench of charred flesh. (I've listed Luigi as "Flaming" because it amuses
me to do so.) Unless someone feels suicidal, I'm assuming Luigi completes
the trip unmolested.

I've added Baron von Skippy's full name to the Roster. Thanks for breaking
the table formatting. :-)

That should cover everything. New ballot forthcoming in mere moments.

...dave

Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 00:15:00 +0000 (GMT)
From: "David E. Smith" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Ballot, nweek 7
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

The following proposals are on the ballot for nweek 7:

Proposal 339/2: The All-Important Default Case (Rob)
Proposal 342/2: Are you ready for some football! (Bean)
Proposal 343/0: Just a little bit... (Bean)
Proposal 359/2: Run, Run, As Fast As You Can! (Wonko)
Proposal 360/2: Let's Get Ready To GREMBALL!!!!! (Wonko)
Proposal 361/0: Broadening Horizons (Wonko)
Proposal 362/1: Poetry In Motion (Bean)
Proposal 363/0: You can only throw so far... (Wonko)
Proposal 364/1: Not to be Confused with Sylvester Stallone (Glotmorf)
Proposal 365/0: Get AWAY From That! (Glotmorf)
Proposal 366/0: My Recipe for Siren Pate (Glotmorf)
Proposal 367/1: The Pause that Refreshes (Glotmorf)
Proposal 368/0: A Whole New Ball of Wax (Congenital Optimist)
Proposal 370/1: Windows aren't all bad! (The Voice)
Proposal 371/0: Judgement/Proposal overhaul (Dan)
Proposal 372/1: This Ruleset isn't big enough for the both of us! (Dan)
Proposal 373/0: Fixing my own mistakes (Scoff!)
Proposal 374/0: Judicial Rear View (Scoff!)
Proposal 375/1: Still a Few Bugs in the System (Wonko)
Proposal 376/0: Kill this man. (Uncle Psychosis)
Proposal 377/1: So damn ugly. (Uncle Psychosis)
Proposal 379/0: Vow of Poverty (Bean)
Proposal 380/0: And We Can Make Little Outfits For Them Too! (Glotmorf)
Proposal 381/0: Weather (The Voice)
Proposal 382/0: The Yoyo Gremlin (The Voice)
Proposal 383/0: Tilt (The Voice)
Proposal 384/0: Ahh... (The Voice)
Proposal 385/0: The Final Frontier (Rob)
Proposal 386/0: Water, Water Everywhere (Congenital Optimist)

Since the PIG is Repressed, we don't have to deal with em either. (E stays
repressed for four ndays, but that's (just) long enough to complete
voting. Yay.)

Votes are due by the end of nweek 7 - that's the end of 12 February, Nomic
Standard Time. (Tuesday, 6 pm Central time, 4 pm Pacific time, blah blah
blah.)

...dave

Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 00:20:15 +0000 (GMT)
From: "David E. Smith" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: ohyeah.
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

The Voice judged CFJ378. I just overlooked it, because Baron von Skippy
took the darn thing back, rendering the discussion moot.

I hope that's all the official recognitions that need to be done.

Now just everyone be quiet and stick to voting for a day or two while I
overhaul the database, alright? :-)

...dave

Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 21:07:35 -0500
Subject: spoon-business: My Votes
From: Wonko <[email-masked]>
To: Business Nomic <[email-masked]>
Blobman: 1
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Quoth David E. Smith,

> The following proposals are on the ballot for nweek 7:
>=20
> Proposal 339/2: The All-Important Default Case (Rob)
Indeed.
> Proposal 342/2: Are you ready for some football! (Bean)
Affirmative.
> Proposal 343/0: Just a little bit... (Bean)
Sure, why not?
> Proposal 359/2: Run, Run, As Fast As You Can! (Wonko)
Alright.
> Proposal 360/2: Let's Get Ready To GREMBALL!!!!! (Wonko)
OK.
> Proposal 361/0: Broadening Horizons (Wonko)
Yup.
> Proposal 362/1: Poetry In Motion (Bean)
Yes, but needs rectification - 'confroming' should be 'conforming' (happens
twice), and I think Bean meant to say 'If Proposal 343 *failed*', 'cause th=
e
way it's written now the rule only gives people Respect if there's no such
thing.
> Proposal 363/0: You can only throw so far... (Wonko)
Sounds good.
> Proposal 364/1: Not to be Confused with Sylvester Stallone (Glotmorf)
Yes! More Gremlins!
> Proposal 365/0: Get AWAY From That! (Glotmorf)
Yes (see above)
> Proposal 366/0: My Recipe for Siren Pate (Glotmorf)
Indeed.
> Proposal 367/1: The Pause that Refreshes (Glotmorf)
Yes.
> Proposal 368/0: A Whole New Ball of Wax (Congenital Optimist)
Alright.
> Proposal 370/1: Windows aren't all bad! (The Voice)
Ok.
> Proposal 371/0: Judgement/Proposal overhaul (Dan)
No. Ewww... Force of Law...
> Proposal 372/1: This Ruleset isn't big enough for the both of us! (Dan)
No... I don't think it really does anything useful...
> Proposal 373/0: Fixing my own mistakes (Scoff!)
Yes.
> Proposal 374/0: Judicial Rear View (Scoff!)
No. It's a good idea, but it means that it could take more than 2 nweeks to
settle a CFJ. I'd like to see this back in a form that doesn't wait 'till
the end of the nweek to overturn, though.
> Proposal 375/1: Still a Few Bugs in the System (Wonko)
Yes.
> Proposal 376/0: Kill this man. (Uncle Psychosis)
Okay, let's use that conditional stuff that was debated oh so long ago. It'=
s
not forbidden, so:  If proposal 362 gets more Affirmative votes than
negative votes, my vote is yes. Otherwise, my vote is no.
5 points for being interesting is ok. I'm not giving Uncle Psy 10 bonus
points for using 'Garth Brooks' as an Action.
> Proposal 377/1: So damn ugly. (Uncle Psychosis)
Yes.
> Proposal 379/0: Vow of Poverty (Bean)
Yes.
> Proposal 380/0: And We Can Make Little Outfits For Them Too! (Glotmorf)
Yes.
> Proposal 381/0: Weather (The Voice)
Yes. But rectify =AD there's no closing delimiter, and 'freezing' probably
ought to be '0=B0 C', 'cause pretty much any temperature is 'freezing' if
you're freezing the right stuff under the right conditions.
> Proposal 382/0: The Yoyo Gremlin (The Voice)
Yes.
> Proposal 383/0: Tilt (The Voice)
Abstain.
> Proposal 384/0: Ahh... (The Voice)
Sure. I could use a little extra sleep.
> Proposal 385/0: The Final Frontier (Rob)
Yes.
> Proposal 386/0: Water, Water Everywhere (Congenital Optimist)
Yes. I like the way this accidentally tinkers with the Weather proposal too=
,
by removing the attribute Wet after each nweek.
>=20

Incidentally, I turn the King Gremlin to Rubber, and the Witch Gremlin to
Glue. Then I give the Scoring Gremlin a Bagel. I put the Admin on the Grid
at (15,9), then pick em up and throw em at Dan. Have a nice day!
--=20
Wonko
Semper ubi sub ubi.

Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 22:45:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Dan <[email-masked]>
To: "'nomic-business'" <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: PIG
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I catch the PIG and pick it up.  I throw it at Wonko.
Dan

Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 22:49:54 -0500
Subject: Re: spoon-business: PIG
From: Wonko <[email-masked]>
To: Business Nomic <[email-masked]>
Blobman: 1
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Quoth Wonko,

> Quoth Dan,
 >
> I catch the PIG and pick it up.  I throw it at Wonko.
> Dan
> 
I catch the PIG and pick it up myself, and throw it at the player who was up
until recently known as Baron von Skippy.

-- 
Wonko 
There are no stupid questions; just stupid people.

From: "Alex Truelsen" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: spoon-business: PIG
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 23:02:47 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Quoth Wonko,

 > Quoth Dan,
  >
 > I catch the PIG and pick it up.  I throw it at Wonko.
 > Dan

I catch the PIG and pick it up myself, and throw it at the player who was up 
until recently known as Baron von Skippy.

--I sharp pains comfort throw PIG, (9, 12). The Big it is from Rock that 
place and when, in in it me bounces back. The in Voice in PIG and throw it I 
that time set fire.--

                                          --BvS--

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.

From: "Alex Truelsen" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: PIG
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 12:37:22 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Quoth the Baron,

 >
 > --I sharp pains comfort throw PIG, (9, 12). The Big it is from Rock that
 > place and when, in in it me bounces back. The in Voice in PIG and throw 
it I
 > that time set fire.--
 >

Is it legal to set time on fire? I'd think that what with time being more of
an idea than a physical object, it would be difficult to figure out exactly
what to ignite...

Maybe the Clock's on Fire now?

-I deny the Undeniable Sushi, as I have no points to take a way and I really 
don't care if I'm stuck with the thing for another day.

Then, to clarify: I _said_, Wonko, that I catch the PIG and throw it to (9, 
12), where there is a Big Rock, so it bounces back. (If that's not what 
would happen, cancel that action, the next one is more important) Then I set 
fire to the PIG and throw it to The Voice. Mmm... roast PIG... 
Gremilicious...

And I rescind my forfeiture. Both of em.-

                                           -BvS-

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: 
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx

Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 18:38:11 -0500
From: Rob Speer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Grid actions
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I pick up the Witch Gremlin, and throw it at Uncle Psychosis.
I buy a Pinball Gun.
I move to (5, 3).
-- 
Rob Speer

From: "Alex Truelsen" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Ballot, nweek 7
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 19:57:42 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I don't like being on Forced Leave... so maybe I'll vote today.

Proposal 339/2: The All-Important Default Case (Rob) - Yes
Proposal 342/2: Are you ready for some football! (Bean) - No
Proposal 343/0: Just a little bit... (Bean) - Yes
Proposal 359/2: Run, Run, As Fast As You Can! (Wonko) - Yes
Proposal 360/2: Let's Get Ready To GREMBALL!!!!! (Wonko) - Yes
Proposal 361/0: Broadening Horizons (Wonko) - No
Proposal 362/1: Poetry In Motion (Bean) - Yes
Proposal 363/0: You can only throw so far... (Wonko) - Yes
Proposal 364/1: Not to be Confused with Sylvester Stallone (Glotmorf) - No
Proposal 365/0: Get AWAY From That! (Glotmorf) - No
Proposal 366/0: My Recipe for Siren Pate (Glotmorf) - Yes
Proposal 367/1: The Pause that Refreshes (Glotmorf) - Yes
Proposal 368/0: A Whole New Ball of Wax (Congenital Optimist) - No
Proposal 370/1: Windows aren't all bad! (The Voice) - Yes
Proposal 371/0: Judgement/Proposal overhaul (Dan) - No
[[The Judge should have the power of law, even if eir decision isn't 
popular.]]
Proposal 372/1: This Ruleset isn't big enough for the both of us! (Dan) - 
Yes
[[It makes my brain hurt, but it works..]]
Proposal 373/0: Fixing my own mistakes (Scoff!) - Yes
Proposal 374/0: Judicial Rear View (Scoff!) - No
Proposal 375/1: Still a Few Bugs in the System (Wonko) - Yes
Proposal 376/0: Kill this man. (Uncle Psychosis) - No
[[It makes no sense. How can anyone perform the action "Garth Brooks?" I 
suppose if e joined, but other than that...]]
Proposal 377/1: So damn ugly. (Uncle Psychosis) - Yes
Proposal 379/0: Vow of Poverty (Bean) - No
Proposal 380/0: And We Can Make Little Outfits For Them Too! (Glotmorf) - No
Proposal 381/0: Weather (The Voice) - No
[[Um, Voice? You forgot to denote the END of your proposal. I like the idea, 
but this causes problems.]]
Proposal 382/0: The Yoyo Gremlin (The Voice) - Yes
Proposal 383/0: Tilt (The Voice) - Yes
[[What the hell...]]
Proposal 384/0: Ahh... (The Voice) - Yes
Proposal 385/0: The Final Frontier (Rob) - Yes
Proposal 386/0: Water, Water Everywhere (Congenital Optimist) - Yes
[[Well, that explains what to Garth a Brook is...]]

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: 
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:19:25 -0500
From: "Donald Whytock" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: spoon-business: Ballot, nweek 7
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

>The following proposals are on the ballot for nweek 7:
>
>Proposal 339/2: The All-Important Default Case (Rob)
[Torn.  On the one hand, this prevents some of the more bonzoid=
 manifestations of r18 that we've seen recently.  On the other, the=
 entertainment value gleaned from said manifestations seems to be part of=
 the purpose of r18...]
Yes

>Proposal 342/2: Are you ready for some football! (Bean)
Yes

>Proposal 343/0: Just a little bit... (Bean)
Yes

>Proposal 359/2: Run, Run, As Fast As You Can! (Wonko)
[I'd feel better about this if you'd said vehicles couldn't be used in=
 Football.]
No

>Proposal 360/2: Let's Get Ready To GREMBALL!!!!! (Wonko)
Yes

>Proposal 361/0: Broadening Horizons (Wonko)
Yes

>Proposal 362/1: Poetry In Motion (Bean)
Yes

>Proposal 363/0: You can only throw so far... (Wonko)
[What, no long bombs into the endzone? :)  I think I'd prefer unlimited=
 distance, but some form of making the actual destination square=
 increasingly random as the distance increased.]
No.

>Proposal 364/1: Not to be Confused with Sylvester Stallone (Glotmorf)
Yes

>Proposal 365/0: Get AWAY From That! (Glotmorf)
Yes

>Proposal 366/0: My Recipe for Siren Pate (Glotmorf)
Yes

>Proposal 367/1: The Pause that Refreshes (Glotmorf)
Yes

>Proposal 368/0: A Whole New Ball of Wax (Congenital Optimist)
Ew.  But yes.

>Proposal 370/1: Windows aren't all bad! (The Voice)
Yes

>Proposal 371/0: Judgement/Proposal overhaul (Dan)
[This looks like it'd promote ambulance-chasing.]
No.

>Proposal 372/1: This Ruleset isn't big enough for the both of us! (Dan)
Yes

>Proposal 373/0: Fixing my own mistakes (Scoff!)
[The illiterate amongst us (even if that's only me) would rather see some=
 definition of feet, poetic or otherwise.]
Abstain.

>Proposal 374/0: Judicial Rear View (Scoff!)
[If it's a Proposal, someone can gain points from it.  More=
 ambulance-chasing.]
No.

>Proposal 375/1: Still a Few Bugs in the System (Wonko)
Yes

>Proposal 376/0: Kill this man. (Uncle Psychosis)
Yes, but only because of p386.
BTW, nice try on the haiku, but nowhere is the syllable breakdown of LOGAS=
 defined. :)

>Proposal 377/1: So damn ugly. (Uncle Psychosis)
[Have I mentioned how much I'm bothered by this whole look-behind concept?]
No.

>Proposal 379/0: Vow of Poverty (Bean)
["Let us load up on points and venture forth to explore negative respect=
 space!" Um...]
No.

>Proposal 380/0: And We Can Make Little Outfits For Them Too! (Glotmorf)
Yes

>Proposal 381/0: Weather (The Voice)
Yes, but again, only because of p386.  Otherwise, I'd prefer to see a more=
 localized definition of weather.

>Proposal 382/0: The Yoyo Gremlin (The Voice)
Yes

>Proposal 383/0: Tilt (The Voice)
No.

>Proposal 384/0: Ahh... (The Voice)
[This effectively makes nweeks longer by seven wdays.  I kinda like the=
 current pace.]
No.

>Proposal 385/0: The Final Frontier (Rob)
Yes

>Proposal 386/0: Water, Water Everywhere (Congenital Optimist)
Yes

						Glotmorf

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:14:57 -0600 (CST)
From: "Karin L. Kross" <[email-masked]>
To: B Nomic Business <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: spoon-business: Ballot, nweek 7
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

YES > Proposal 339/2: The All-Important Default Case (Rob)
NO > Proposal 342/2: Are you ready for some football! (Bean)
YES > Proposal 343/0: Just a little bit... (Bean)
YES > Proposal 359/2: Run, Run, As Fast As You Can! (Wonko)
YES > Proposal 360/2: Let's Get Ready To GREMBALL!!!!! (Wonko)
NO > Proposal 361/0: Broadening Horizons (Wonko)
YES > Proposal 362/1: Poetry In Motion (Bean)
YES > Proposal 363/0: You can only throw so far... (Wonko)
YES > Proposal 364/1: Not to be Confused with Sylvester Stallone 
	(Glotmorf)
NO > Proposal 365/0: Get AWAY From That! (Glotmorf)
YES > Proposal 366/0: My Recipe for Siren Pate (Glotmorf)
YES > Proposal 367/1: The Pause that Refreshes (Glotmorf)
YES > Proposal 368/0: A Whole New Ball of Wax (Congenital 
	Optimist)
YES > Proposal 370/1: Windows aren't all bad! (The Voice)
YES > Proposal 371/0: Judgement/Proposal overhaul (Dan)
YES > Proposal 372/1: This Ruleset isn't big enough for the both 
	of us! (Dan)
YES > Proposal 373/0: Fixing my own mistakes (Scoff!)
YES > Proposal 374/0: Judicial Rear View (Scoff!)
YES > Proposal 375/1: Still a Few Bugs in the System (Wonko)
YES > Proposal 376/0: Kill this man. (Uncle Psychosis)
NO > Proposal 377/1: So damn ugly. (Uncle Psychosis)
YES > Proposal 379/0: Vow of Poverty (Bean)
YES > Proposal 380/0: And We Can Make Little Outfits For Them 
	Too! (Glotmorf)
YES > Proposal 381/0: Weather (The Voice)
YES > Proposal 382/0: The Yoyo Gremlin (The Voice)
YES > Proposal 383/0: Tilt (The Voice)
YES > Proposal 384/0: Ahh... (The Voice)
YES > Proposal 385/0: The Final Frontier (Rob)
YES > Proposal 386/0: Water, Water Everywhere (Congenital 
	Optimist)

-- 
[email-masked] | http://seishonagon.org
"don't you know there ain't no devil
 there's just god when he's drunk"
 (Tom Waits "Heartattack and Vine")

From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 12:31:31 -0500
Subject: RE: spoon-business: Grid actions
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

> I pick up the Witch Gremlin, and throw it at Uncle
> Psychosis.
>
I catch it.

uin.

-- 

_______________________________________________
Sign-up for your own FREE Personalized E-mail at Mail.com
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Win a ski trip!
http://www.nowcode.com/register.asp?affiliate=1net2phone3a

From: "Jonathan Van Matre" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 12:01:37 -0600
Subject: spoon-business: Scoff!'s votes
content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

YES > Proposal 339/2: The All-Important Default Case (Rob)
YES > Proposal 342/2: Are you ready for some football! (Bean)

I never really liked the treasure-hunting aspect of the grid.  This seems l=
ike a fun alternative.

NO > Proposal 343/0: Just a little bit... (Bean)

Respect doesn't actually *do* anything useful yet, nor does it do anything =
fun, as far as I can see.

NO > Proposal 359/2: Run, Run, As Fast As You Can! (Wonko)

I think the Grid is too small for this much movement.  Also, there's no exc=
lusion against these things being used in Football, which I think would mak=
e the game less interesting.

NO > Proposal 360/2: Let's Get Ready To GREMBALL!!!!! (Wonko)

I like the Magnets.  In general, though, things are getting quite busy enou=
gh on the Grid.

YES > Proposal 361/0: Broadening Horizons (Wonko)
NO > Proposal 362/1: Poetry In Motion (Bean)

I was rather torn by this one.  I like limericks, but I don't see the point=
 of cinquains.  Also, the awarding of respect for poetic proposals dilutes =
the concept of respect as something given by the players to recognize or di=
sparage another player.  Considering that is pretty much *all* that respect=
 does right now, I'm not sure why this proposal would want to make a player=
's Respect score less meaningful.

NO > Proposal 363/0: You can only throw so far... (Wonko)

Rob's Space proposal is a more elegant solution to the distance metrics iss=
ue, and the other aspect of this proposal isn't all that urgent.

YES > Proposal 364/1: Not to be Confused with Sylvester Stallone (Glotmorf)
NO > Proposal 365/0: Get AWAY From That! (Glotmorf)
NO > Proposal 366/0: My Recipe for Siren Pate (Glotmorf)

I'd vote yes if it specified that a player in a Siren's ZOE or ZATR may not=
 purchase a Big Rock and specify the location in such a way as to kill the =
Siren controlling the player.  As is, this proposal provides a cheap, easy =
escape from Sirens.  That might be called for when we've seen them in actio=
n long enough to be bored with the way they currently work, but we haven't =
even seen one yet.

YES > Proposal 367/1: The Pause that Refreshes (Glotmorf)
YES > Proposal 368/0: A Whole New Ball of Wax (Congenital Optimist)

However, it doesn't specify just *how* it protects a player from the Sirens=
, so I'm not sure that will work.  And one per nweek is a *lot* of wax ball=
s.  I'm interested enough to see how it works out, though.

NO > Proposal 370/1: Windows aren't all bad! (The Voice)

We already have a move-far provision with Elbonian Airways.  Also, what hap=
pens to Curt or Rod when a player loses possession?

NO > Proposal 371/0: Judgement/Proposal overhaul (Dan)

We already have this.  It's called a proposal.

NO > Proposal 372/1: This Ruleset isn't big enough for the both of us! (Dan=
)
YES > Proposal 373/0: Fixing my own mistakes (Scoff!)
YES > Proposal 374/0: Judicial Rear View (Scoff!)
YES > Proposal 375/1: Still a Few Bugs in the System (Wonko)

377 will have almost exactly the same effect, with a lot less text, but has=
 been woefully misunderstood for 2 nweeks now, so I'm throwing my weight be=
hind the one that will pass, too.

NO > Proposal 376/0: Kill this man. (Uncle Psychosis)
YES > Proposal 377/1: So damn ugly. (Uncle Psychosis)

It will probably fail again, but it really is a remarkably succinct little =
chocolate truffle of a proposal.  Accomplishes the vast majority of 375 and=
 367 combined, with a minimum of verbiage.

NO > Proposal 379/0: Vow of Poverty (Bean)
NO > Proposal 380/0: And We Can Make Little Outfits For Them Too!=20
YES > Proposal 381/0: Weather (The Voice)
NO > Proposal 382/0: The Yoyo Gremlin (The Voice)
NO > Proposal 383/0: Tilt (The Voice)
YES > Proposal 384/0: Ahh... (The Voice)

Some of us seem to be laboring under the misconception that this applies ev=
ery nweek.  Read closely--it's a one-time breather.  The rule is self-repea=
ling, and even if it weren't, the modifications it makes are version-specif=
ic, so they will only work once.

YES > Proposal 385/0: The Final Frontier (Rob)
YES > Proposal 386/0: Water, Water Everywhere (Congenital Optimist)

--Scoff!

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:03:53 -0500 (EST)
From: Eric Gerlach <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: I suck
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I propose the following:

{{
__Bean sucks, but Vows of Poverty don't__

If proposal 379 passed, in the rule created by proposal 379, replace the
DOH delimeted text:

DOH
Unless e is On Leave, at the end of the first nday of every nweek a player
loses 0.1 respect for every point e has. If a player is On Leave at the
end of the first nday of an nweek, one nday after e becomes Off Leave e
loses 0.1 respect for every point e has.
DOH

with the CORRECT delimeted text:

CORRECT
Unless e is On Leave, at the end of the first nday of every nweek a player
who has taken a Vow of Poverty loses 0.1 respect for every point e has. If
a player who has taken a Vow of Poverty is On Leave at the end of the
first nday of an nweek, one nday after e becomes Off Leave e loses 0.1
respect for every point e has. 
CORRECT

If a player's respect was lowered by the rule created by proposal 379, 
increase eir respect by an amount equal to the loss caused by the rule.

[[ Basically, if you lost any respect this fixes it.  So if you were
*thinking* about voting YES on 379 but didn't due to my stupidity, well,
here's the fix, no harm done, please reconsider your vote :) ]]

}}

From: "Gavin Doig" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:35:10 -0500
Subject: spoon-business: CFJ: Opening the floodgates
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

<CFJ>
<statement>Uncle Psychosis got 10 points for submitting proosal 376.</statement>
<defendant>Glotmorf</defendant>
<analysis>
Rule 357 states:
"Players submitting 
Proposals in haiku form 
Earn 10 extra points 

A player who submits a proposal in haiku form earns 10 Score points if the proposal is adopted, in addition to any points received as a normal consequence of the adoption of a proposal."

To me, that reads as 10 points for submitting it, and another 10 if it passes.

Of course, there's always Glotmorf's "LOGAS isn't 2 syllables" argument, but... well, that's a pretty cheap way of trying to stop me getting 10 points I don't even care about in the first place. ;-)

[[Just because I think it's funny, I'll give 5 points to the judge if this is ruled true.]]
</analysis>
</CFJ>

uin.
-- 

_______________________________________________
Sign-up for your own FREE Personalized E-mail at Mail.com
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Win a ski trip!
http://www.nowcode.com/register.asp?affiliate=1net2phone3a

From: "Jonathan Van Matre" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:42:48 -0600
Subject: RE: spoon-business: CFJ: Opening the floodgates
content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

The intent was that the latter statement, by precedence rules, overrules th=
e more-imprecise haiku-form first statement, which was only there for the c=
osmetic reason of starting the haiku rule with a sort-of-haiku.  So you onl=
y get points if it passes.  But we'll see if the judge agrees. =20

And if e doesn't, comment brackets are going around that "haiku".

--Scoff!

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Gavin Doig [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, February 11, 2002 12:35 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: spoon-business: CFJ: Opening the floodgates
>=20
>=20
> <CFJ>
> <statement>Uncle Psychosis got 10 points for submitting=20
> proosal 376.</statement>
> <defendant>Glotmorf</defendant>
> <analysis>
> Rule 357 states:
> "Players submitting=20
> Proposals in haiku form=20
> Earn 10 extra points=20
>=20
> A player who submits a proposal in haiku form earns 10 Score=20
> points if the proposal is adopted, in addition to any points=20
> received as a normal consequence of the adoption of a proposal."
>=20
> To me, that reads as 10 points for submitting it, and another=20
> 10 if it passes.
>=20
> Of course, there's always Glotmorf's "LOGAS isn't 2=20
> syllables" argument, but... well, that's a pretty cheap way=20
> of trying to stop me getting 10 points I don't even care=20
> about in the first place. ;-)
>=20
> [[Just because I think it's funny, I'll give 5 points to the=20
> judge if this is ruled true.]]
> </analysis>
> </CFJ>
>=20
> uin.
> --=20
>=20
> _______________________________________________
> Sign-up for your own FREE Personalized E-mail at Mail.com
> http://www.mail.com/?sr=3Dsignup
>=20
> Win a ski trip!
> http://www.nowcode.com/register.asp?affiliate=3D1net2phone3a
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

From: "Tyler Crosby" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: ballot, nweek 7 style
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 15:21:26 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

My votes for nweek 7 (you may ooh and ahh at your leisure):

YES-Proposal 339/2: The All-Important Default Case (Rob)
YES-Proposal 342/2: Are you ready for some football! (Bean)
YES-Proposal 343/0: Just a little bit... (Bean)
YES-Proposal 359/2: Run, Run, As Fast As You Can! (Wonko)
[[Got to, but only because of checkpoints... make it so players playing 
football can't use vehicles...]]
NO-Proposal 360/2: Let's Get Ready To GREMBALL!!!!! (Wonko)
[[Only one side game, please...]]
YES-Proposal 361/0: Broadening Horizons (Wonko)
NO-Proposal 362/1: Poetry In Motion (Bean)
[[Not creative enough...]]
YES-Proposal 363/0: You can only throw so far... (Wonko)
YES-Proposal 364/1: Not to be Confused with Sylvester Stallone (Glotmorf)
[[Even though Glotmorf is NOT Sylvester Stallone as implied by the title of 
this rule :P]]
YES-Proposal 365/0: Get AWAY From That! (Glotmorf)
[[Heh, beaning Bean with beano...]]
YES-Proposal 366/0: My Recipe for Siren Pate (Glotmorf)
YES-Proposal 367/1: The Pause that Refreshes (Glotmorf)
NO-Proposal 368/0: A Whole New Ball of Wax (Congenital Optimist)
[[Eeew...]]
YES-Proposal 370/1: Windows aren't all bad! (The Voice)
NO-Proposal 371/0: Judgement/Proposal overhaul (Dan)
YES-Proposal 372/1: This Ruleset isn't big enough for the both of us! (Dan)
YES-Proposal 373/0: Fixing my own mistakes (Scoff!)
YES-Proposal 374/0: Judicial Rear View (Scoff!)
YES-Proposal 375/1: Still a Few Bugs in the System (Wonko)
NO-Proposal 376/0: Kill this man. (Uncle Psychosis)
[[Just because Congenital Optimist saved your ass doesn't mean I'm gonna 
give you points for this...]]
YES-Proposal 377/1: So damn ugly. (Uncle Psychosis)
[[Now that I finally understand it...]]
NO-Proposal 379/0: Vow of Poverty (Bean)
YES-Proposal 380/0: And We Can Make Little Outfits For Them Too! (Glotmorf)
YES-Proposal 381/0: Weather (The Voice)
YES-Proposal 382/0: The Yoyo Gremlin (The Voice)
YES-Proposal 383/0: Tilt (The Voice)
[[I realize that it needs some work and if it passes I will fix it next 
nweek...]]
YES-Proposal 384/0: Ahh... (The Voice)
[[And this is the time I'll use to do it... Ahh...]]
NO-Proposal 385/0: The Final Frontier (Rob)
YES-Proposal 386/0: Water, Water Everywhere (Congenital Optimist)

-0- Thus Spake The Voice -0-
*Ignore this signature if :
1) it doesn't make sense to you
2) it seems outdated
3) you feel moved to make a sarcastic comment
4) you didn't read to the end of this list.
Thank you, and have a nice day.*

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: 
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx

From: "Tyler Crosby" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: ...
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 15:25:37 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Oh, yeah.

I catch the PIG and throw it at Iain.

-0- Thus Spake The Voice -0-
*Ignore this signature if :
1) it doesn't make sense to you
2) it seems outdated
3) you feel moved to make a sarcastic comment
4) you didn't read to the end of this list.
Thank you, and have a nice day.*

_________________________________________________________________
Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. 
http://www.hotmail.com

From: "Alex Truelsen" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: spoon-discuss: RE: spoon-business: The Daily Recognizer (Friday night/Saturd
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:27:36 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

To this in hell. I changed it one time, B will do my name again. "Prince 
Superior of the RICV, Baron Skippy, Lord of Squirrels, Master of the State 
of Hallucinations, Minister of the ULC of Modesto, Calif., and Generator of 
Oddities and Entities" I change my name to which is happy  now, it adds up a 
pain inside the donkey which it spreads out? I do not quit. This message was 
translate in the Babelfish.

                                            -BvS-

_________________________________________________________________
Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 19:39:26 -0500
Subject: spoon-business: A solution to the Haiku Bonus
From: Wonko <[email-masked]>
To: Business Nomic <[email-masked]>
Blobman: 1
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

While we're on the subject of people getting points easily, how about
this...

I transfer -88 points from myself to Antonio.
I transfer -4 points from myself to Bean.
I transfer -60 points from myself to Congenital Optimist.
I transfer -85 points from myself to Glotmorf.
I transfer -56 points from myself to Iain.
I transfer -92 points from myself to Rob.
I transfer -122 points from myself to Scoff!.
I transfer -83 points from me myself The Voice.
I transfer -10 points from me myself Turgul.
I transfer -106 points from me myself Uncle Psychosis.
If Uncle Psychosis recieved 10 points for submitting proposal 376, then I
transfer -10 points from myself to Uncle Psychosis.
I transfer -137 points from myself to Dan.

Add all that to the 239 points I already had, and I think you'll find I have
either 1082 or 1092 points. I Win.

Now it doesn't matter if Uncle Psy got points for his Haiku. Problem solved!
:)

-- 
Wonko
Recruit today night it feels.

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 20:28:57 -0500
To: [email-masked]
From: Eric Gerlach <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: spoon-business: Ballot, nweek 7
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

At 12:15 AM 2002-02-10 +0000, you wrote:
>The following proposals are on the ballot for nweek 7:
>
>Proposal 339/2: The All-Important Default Case (Rob)
YES

>Proposal 342/2: Are you ready for some football! (Bean)
YES

>Proposal 343/0: Just a little bit... (Bean)
YES

>Proposal 359/2: Run, Run, As Fast As You Can! (Wonko)
NO (Don't like moving too fast)

>Proposal 360/2: Let's Get Ready To GREMBALL!!!!! (Wonko)
ABSTAIN

>Proposal 361/0: Broadening Horizons (Wonko)
YES

>Proposal 362/1: Poetry In Motion (Bean)
YES

>Proposal 363/0: You can only throw so far... (Wonko)
ABSTAIN

>Proposal 364/1: Not to be Confused with Sylvester Stallone (Glotmorf)
YES

>Proposal 365/0: Get AWAY From That! (Glotmorf)
NO (I refuse to let myself be the butt of this joke!)

>Proposal 366/0: My Recipe for Siren Pate (Glotmorf)
YES

>Proposal 367/1: The Pause that Refreshes (Glotmorf)
YES

>Proposal 368/0: A Whole New Ball of Wax (Congenital Optimist)
YES - I echo the "Eww" sentiments of several other players though.

>Proposal 370/1: Windows aren't all bad! (The Voice)
NO

>Proposal 371/0: Judgement/Proposal overhaul (Dan)
NO

>Proposal 372/1: This Ruleset isn't big enough for the both of us! (Dan)
ABSTAIN

>Proposal 373/0: Fixing my own mistakes (Scoff!)
YES

>Proposal 374/0: Judicial Rear View (Scoff!)
YES

>Proposal 375/1: Still a Few Bugs in the System (Wonko)
NO - Too broad.... democracy is slow my man, don't try to do things too 
quickly.

>Proposal 376/0: Kill this man. (Uncle Psychosis)
NO

>Proposal 377/1: So damn ugly. (Uncle Psychosis)
YES

>Proposal 379/0: Vow of Poverty (Bean)
YES

>Proposal 380/0: And We Can Make Little Outfits For Them Too! (Glotmorf)
ABSTAIN

>Proposal 381/0: Weather (The Voice)
NO

>Proposal 382/0: The Yoyo Gremlin (The Voice)
NO

>Proposal 383/0: Tilt (The Voice)
ABSTAIN

>Proposal 384/0: Ahh... (The Voice)
YES

>Proposal 385/0: The Final Frontier (Rob)
YES - Though Euclid is cooler than.... uh.... Cartes...... is Cartesian 
named for Des Cartes???

>Proposal 386/0: Water, Water Everywhere (Congenital Optimist)
NO

From: "Alex Truelsen" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: spoon-business: A solution to the Haiku Bonus
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 21:41:09 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

While we're on the subject of people getting points easily, how about
this...

I transfer -88 points from myself to Antonio.
I transfer -4 points from myself to Bean.
I transfer -60 points from myself to Congenital Optimist.
I transfer -85 points from myself to Glotmorf.
I transfer -56 points from myself to Iain.
I transfer -92 points from myself to Rob.
I transfer -122 points from myself to Scoff!.
I transfer -83 points from me myself The Voice.
I transfer -10 points from me myself Turgul.
I transfer -106 points from me myself Uncle Psychosis.
If Uncle Psychosis recieved 10 points for submitting proposal 376, then I
transfer -10 points from myself to Uncle Psychosis.
I transfer -137 points from myself to Dan.

Add all that to the 239 points I already had, and I think you'll find I have
either 1082 or 1092 points. I Win.

Now it doesn't matter if Uncle Psy got points for his Haiku. Problem solved!
:)

-e! My zero you, the O for one which is moderate is good, it aimed too much 
all? xi xtransfer -1000 points from myself to Wonko. I win. Ta da. E in 
rescind er action... When it likes, the grudge, is that-

                                         -BvS-

--
Wonko
Recruit today night it feels.

_________________________________________________________________
Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 07:49:39 +0000 (GMT)
From: "David E. Smith" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Votes (fwd)
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

When UIN voted for this nweek, privately, e reminded me that I hadn't yet
publicized eir votes from last nweek. I'd like to publicly thank em for
not CFJing me on such a silly oversight on my part. (And here's hoping I
don't do it again this nweek.)

Anyway, here's eir votes from the PREVIOUS ballot.

...dave

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 18:49:12 -0500
From: Gavin Doig <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Votes

P290 YEA
P291 YEA
P292 NO
P302 YEA
P303 YEA
P306 NO
P307 YEA
P308 NO
P309 YEA
P310 YEA
P311 YEA
P312 YEA
P313 YEA
P314 YEA
P315 YEA
P317 NO
P319 YEA
P320 YEA
P323 YEA
P326 YEA
P327 NO
P328 YEA
P329 YEA
P330 YEA
P331 NO
P332 YEA
P333 YEA
P334 YEA
P335 YEA
P336 NO
P337 NO

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:08:08 +0000 (GMT)
From: ID Scott <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: spoon-business: ...
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Then I catch the PIG, and throw it back at the voice.=20
Am I still in time for voteing? If so I ABSTAIN on them all.

cheers,
Iain

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Tyler Crosby wrote:

> Oh, yeah.
>=20
> I catch the PIG and throw it at Iain.
>=20
>=20
> -0- Thus Spake The Voice -0-
> *Ignore this signature if :
> 1) it doesn't make sense to you
> 2) it seems outdated
> 3) you feel moved to make a sarcastic comment
> 4) you didn't read to the end of this list.
> Thank you, and have a nice day.*
>=20
>=20
> _________________________________________________________________
> Join the world=92s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail.=20
> http://www.hotmail.com
>=20
>=20

From: "Tyler Crosby" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:58:47 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Err... this is where this should go...

I catch the PIG and throw it at Antonio.

-0- Thus Spake The Voice -0-
*Ignore this signature if :
1) it doesn't make sense to you
2) it seems outdated
3) you feel moved to make a sarcastic comment
4) you didn't read to the end of this list.
Thank you, and have a nice day.*

_________________________________________________________________
Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com

From: "Jonathan Van Matre" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:06:06 -0600
Subject: spoon-business: Using the rest of my proposals for the nweek
content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

#1:

__Let's Nip This In The Bud__

{{
Add "Self-important use of Latin, especially in signature lines" to the LOG=
AS.
}}

[[ For no other reason than that I'm feeling snarky today. ]]

#2:

__You Can't Have Football Without Color Commentary__

Create a new rule:

__You Can't Have Football Without Color Commentary__

{{
"Color Commentator" is a Title.  The Title "Color Commentator" may not be h=
eld concurrently by more than two players.

At the beginning of each nweek, the Administrator will choose at random a p=
layer who is not playing Football to be the Color Commentator for the nweek=
=2E  The Color Commentator may also, at eir discretion, select a second pla=
yer to be co-Color Commentator, in which case both players hold the title f=
or the duration of the nweek.

While in possession of the Title "Color Commentator", it is a player's duty=
 to provide interesting commentary on the Football game in play.  Comedic i=
mitation of the dim-wittedness of actual American football commentators is =
encouraged.

A Color Commentator is exempt from GremBall while in possession of the "Col=
or Commentator" Title.  This rule supersedes Rule 355.

At the end of the nweek, any player holding the "Color Commentator" Title s=
urrenders the Title, and a new Color Commentator is chosen by the Administr=
ator as described above.
}}

#3:

__Fix The Haiku Bonus__

{{
Place open- and close-comment markers at the beginning and end respectively=
 of the first paragraph of rule 357.

Transfer from Scoff! to the Scoring Gremlin the same number of Score points=
 earned by Scoff! for the passage of this proposal.=20

[[No points for filling up holes I dug myself.]]
}}

[[Might as well fix it whether it's broke or not, since I have the proposal=
s left this nweek anyway.]]

--Scoff!

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 18:27:18 -0500
From: Rob Speer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: A better definition
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I propose: __Same As It Never Was__
{{

Modify the text of Rule 259 to read:
{{
For the purposes of the game, the term "proosal" shall be considered to
mean "flaming Gremlin named Bruce".
}}
}}

-- 
Rob Speer

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 00:12:57 +0000 (GMT)
From: "David E. Smith" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Status update
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Okay, from my first glance at "Aah..." I believe it passes.

Since that turns the Clock off for seven days, I won't feel too bad about
not getting to vote counting and the last 60+ email messages 'til later
tonight. I'm gonna go eat dinner now, and enjoy it, darnit.

A whole stack of recognitions will follow the pizza and chili dogs.

...dave

---- David E. Smith, POB 515045, St. Louis MO 63151
http://www.technopagan.org/    http://metadave.net/
http://www.bureau42.com/       http://whatIsay.com/

"Use anger to throw them into disarray." -- Sun Tzu

From: "Alex Truelsen" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: I it will be able to present a rule inside this game?
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 22:38:39 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

The ma which it sees, I am contributing,!

{{
__I Have Found the Solution!__

Create a new rule which reads:

{{
__You say Proosal, I say Proposal__

At the time of this rule's passing, all instances of the word "proosal" in 
the current ruleset shall be replaced with the word "proposal." Should a 
rule with the word "proosal" in it be proposed, all instances of the word 
"proosal" shall be changed to "proposal," except in rule 259.
[[That fixes the problem without causing semantic nightmares, which I'm good 
at making...]]

At the time of this rule's passing, "proposing a rule with the word 
"proosal" in it, unless that proposal is an amendment" shall be added to the 
LOGAS.
}}

{{
__Another Way to Remove a Splinter__

Create a rule which reads:

{{
__Amputate__

Rule 2 5 9
It gives me a big headache
It shall be repealed
}}

[[I didn't want to affix this to the other one. It's more than one rule 
change, and I didn't want the whole defeated because people don't agree with 
one part. Oh, "2 5 9" is three syllables, and refers to two hundred fifty 
nine, for those of you who might argue that point.]]

                                               -BvS-

_________________________________________________________________
Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 23:04:42 -0500 (EST)
From: Dan <[email-masked]>
To: "'nomic-business'" <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Two new Proposals.  Gremlins go wild!
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

{{
__The Gremlin Factory__
Enact a new rule:
{{
__The Factory__
There Exists a Factory.  The Factory is an immovable, impassable object.
A Player who is adjacent to the Factory on the Grid may press the purple
button on the Factory.  The first time this is done on any nday the
Factory shall produce a Swarm Gremlin.  The Administrator shall place the
newly created gremlin on the Grid at the location of the player who was
responsible for its creation.
}}

Enact a new rule:  
{{ __Swarm Gremlins__ 

Swarm Gremlins are Gremlins.  
They may be created, modified, and destroyed only as specified by the
Rules.  
}} 
}}

The Following is a new Proposal
{{
__Bribes for the Gremlin Game__
Enact a new rule: 

{{ __Gremlin Influence__ 

Each gremlin has the influence attribute.  The influence attribute
consists of two parts:  a list of the players who have gained influence
over that Gremlin and the total amount of influence gained over that
gremlin.  The total influence should always be twenty greater than the sum
of the player influences. Initially all gremlins have zero total influence
and no players have influence over any gremlin.  No total influence or
player influence component shall ever be less than zero.

}}

Enact a new rule:

{{ __Bribes for Influence__
A player may gain influence over a gremlin by bribing the gremlin with a
multiple of ten points.  This may only be done if the player is within two
units of the gremlin on the Grid, or if both the player and the gremlin
are in limbo.Upon recognition of the Bribe the Administrator shall reduce
the score of the bribing player by the amount of the bribe and increase
the bribing player's influence over the bribed gremlin by the amount of
the bribe.  The administrator shall not recognize a bribe if it would
result in the reduction of the player's score to less than zero points.

}}

Enact a new rule:

{{ __Fun stuff to do with influence__

A player may politely request, by posting in the public forum, for a
gremlin over which e has influence to take a particular action.  The
Administer shall roll 1dn, where n is the total influence of that gremlin.  
If the result is less than the player's influence over that gremlin, and
the action is legal for that gremlin at that time, the gremlin will do as
asked.  Otherwise it will spit in the player's face and move 1 unit away
from the player on the Grid.  If the direction directly away from the
player is not obvious or movement in that direction is not possible it
will move in a random direction.  

Gremlins do not take actions not defined by the rules.

}}

Append the following to rule 294:

{{
Gremlins may vote as specified by the rules
}}

Make the following changes to rule 355: 

{{ 

Change "Player" in the first paragraph to "Player or gremlin".

Change each instance of "Player" in the second paragraph to "Player or
Gremlin"

Change the first two instances of "Player and a gremlin" in the third
paragraph to "gremlin and a player or a second gremlin".

append the following paragraph: 

{{ 

Held gremlins cannot hold anything.  

}}

[[I know recursive gremlins would be fun for us and a nightmare for the
admin, but it was getting just too annoying to figure out all the possible
cases.  Sorry.]]

append the following paragraph:

{{
If a gremlin is thrown at another gremlin and the target gremlin is being
held, both gremlins fall to the grid location (or limbo) where the holder
was standing.  If the target gremlin is unheld then the thrown gremlin
falls to the grid location where the target was standing.

}}

}}

}}

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 05:14:29 +0000 (GMT)
From: "David E. Smith" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: The end of nweek 7: non-vote-counting-stuff
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

First, responses to stuff on the ballot:

On 362:

> Yes, but needs rectification - 'confroming' should be 'conforming'
> (happens twice), and I think Bean meant to say 'If Proposal 343
> *failed*', 'cause the way it's written now the rule only gives people
> Respect if there's no such thing.

The first change is legal and obvious, and so rectified. The second
change, changes the meaning of the proosal substantially, so I don't think
I can legally do that.

On 381:
> But rectify - there's no closing delimiter, and 'freezing' probably
> ought to be '0=B0 C', 'cause pretty much any temperature is 'freezing' if
> you're freezing the right stuff under the right conditions.

Again, the first change is okay, the second change isn't. Since I'm
responsible for the weather, though, I don't anticipate any problems. (I
don't know about you, but the weather in MY area tends to be based on an
oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere, and precipitation is almost universally water
in one form or another.)

Rob throws the Witch Gremlin at UIN and buys a Pinball Gun. Eir move is
queued. UIN catches the Witch Gremlin. (UIN, are you still in Limbo?
That's where I've got you right now...)

"Bean sucks, but Vows of Poverty don't" is 387/0.

CFJ 388, assigned to Congenital Optimist, is UIN's haiku CFJ.

The PIG gets thrown around by (at least): Dan, Scoff!, and The Voice. Last
count I've got as of this point in my mailbox, The Voice threw it at Iain.
Iain caught it and threw it back at The Voice, who caught it and threw to
Antonio. (This is one of the things that the downtime will bring - a Grid
system that I don't have to update everything quite so manually.)

Assuming my maths are correct all around, the presence or absence of Baron
von Skippy's votes do not affect the outcome of any proposal on this
ballot. So, I choose to count them.

Points are not the same thing as negative points, so for the time being
(i.e. until someone CFJs me for it) I'm disallowing Wonko's negative-point
transfers. (I'll disregard for now the argument that sentences like "I
transfer -10 points from me myself Turgul." read more like sushi-bait than
any attempt at a game action.)

Scoff! burns the rest of this nweek's proosals: "Let's Nip This In The
Bud" is 389/0. "You Can't Have Football Without Color Commentary" is
390/0. "Fix The Haiku Bonus" is 391/0.

Rob's "Same As It Never Was" is 392/0.

That's everything that came in before the Clock was turned Off.

(One of the later messages will probably state something along the lines
of "these won't be officially recognized for a week but they're already in
the database and here's the numbers they'll have when they're officially
recognized". Hope nobody's too offended by that.)

On to vote counting. Yay.

=2E..dave

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 00:33:17 -0500 (EST)
From: Dan <[email-masked]>
To: "'nomic-business'" <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: re: clock sillyness
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Eric Gerlach wrote:

> The Clock is Off.  No proposing.
> 
> Sincerely,
> 
> Bean
> Keeper of the Time, Defender of the Clock, High Lord of Continuity.
> 
> P.S. No ass kicking, the Clock is Off :P

Dave can you recognize those proposals for me when the clock starts up
again, or do I have to copy the whole thing out again?  I'm just posting
ahead so I know my message will get there in time.  I guess it's a good
thing the clock is stopped since mine is a fairly lengthy pair of
proposals and it might take some explaining.  comments, questions anyone?

Oh, and can you recognize a kick in the ass for Bean when the clock starts
up too?

Dan

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 07:14:45 +0000 (GMT)
From: "David E. Smith" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Nweek 7 vote results
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Now, vote results! Woohoo!

339/2 passes (10-0-1). Lovely rule, that.
Created 393/0.
Rob scores 11 points.

342/1 passes (6-4-1).
Created rosters for Team Turquoise and Team Crimson.
Created the Football, and gave it to Bean.
Added Bean to Team Turquoise roster.
Created 394/0.
Created 394/1.
Bean scores 11 points.

343/0 passes (7-2-2).
Created 395/0.
Added "Respect" to dimension list. Hacked many scripts to cope.
Added "Non-brain-damaged dimension system" to "week-off list". The week
off, of course, coincides with "the week I have to cover a co-worker's
time off because her baby's about to pop out" so I can't promise how much
of that stuff will get done, but...
Bean scores 12 points.

359/2 fails (4-5-2).
Wonko loses 1 point.

360/2 fails (4-4-3).
Wonko loses 3 points.

361/0 passes (7-2-2).
Created 396/0.
Created 296/1.
Created 296/2.
Gave 100 points to The Scoring Gremlin.
Wonko scores 13 points.

362/1 passed (7-2-2).
Created 397/0.
Created 398/0.
Created 399/0.
Created 357/1.
Bean scores 9 points.

363/0 passed (6-3-2).
Created 355/1.
Created 301/2.
Wonko scores 7 points.

364/1 passes (7-2-2).
Created Rocky, the Meteor Gremlin.
Created 400/0.
Bear in mind that since this rule specifies Rocky does eir thing at the
END of an nweek, he won't throw anything around just now.
Glotmorf scores 4 points.

365/0 fails (3-6-2).
Glotmorf loses 4 points.

366/0 passes (7-2-2).
Created 346/2.
Glotmorf scores 17 points.

367/1 passes (9-0-2).
Created 0/0. Weird. (I hope the database will actually display the darn
thing - there are some ugly assumptions in my code about all rules having
positive numbers and all.)
Glotmorf scores 13 points.

368/0 passes (5-4-2).
Created 401/0.
Congenital Optimist scores 6 points.

370/1 passes (6-3-2).
Created Curt and Rod. Heh.
Created 402/0.
The Voice scores 10 points.

371/0 fails (2-8-1).
Dan loses 6 points.

372/1 passes (6-3-2).
Created 403/0.
Dan scores 8 points.

373/0 passes (8-1-2).
Created 357/2.
Created 257/3.
Scoff! scores 9 points, which are transferred to The Scoring Gremlin.

374/0 passes (6-4-1).
Created 404/0.
Scoff! scores 10 points.

375/1 passes (7-3-1).
Created 17/1.
Created 28/1.
Created 128/5.
Created 129/1.
Created 10/1.
Created 300/1.
Wow.
Wonko scores a meager 13 points for that wonderfully complex omnibus proosal.

376/0 fails (4-6-1).
Uncle Psychosis loses 1 point.

377/1 passes (6-4-1).
I much preferred the version created by 375, but what the hell.
Created 129/2.
Just to test it out, I declare that the gamestate is Blue.
Uncle Psychosis scores 12 points.

379/0 fails (4-5-2).
Bean loses 4 points.

380/0 fails (4-4-3).
Glotmorf loses 2 points.

381/0 passes (6-3-2).
Created 405/0.
The rule doesn't specify precisely WHEN during the nday I have to update
the Weather, so I'll do so... now. Here's the weather, according to the
little weather applet I have on my dock:

Wind: from the WNW (300 degrees) at 5 MPH (5 KT):0
Visibility: 10 mile(s):0
Sky conditions: mostly clear
Temperature: 34.0 F (1.1 C)
Windchill: 30 F (-1 C):1
Dew Point: 24.1 F (-4.4 C)
Relative Humidity: 66%
Pressure (altimeter): 30.33 in. Hg (1027 hPa)
Pressure tendency: 0.07 inches (2.4 hPa) higher than three hours ago

It's above freezing, by the way. Just barely, but still...

The Voice scores 10 points.

382/0 passes (5-4-2).
Created the Yoyo Gremlin.
Created 406/0.
The Voice scores 13 points.

383/0 failed (4-4-3).
The Voice loses 1 point.

384/0 passes (6-3-2).
I'm not actually creating the rule, because it will repeal itself after
ten wdays anyway. And besides, I still don't have a good way to deal with
repealed rules - it's on the list of things with which I need to deal.
The Voice scores 8 points and my gratitude.

385/0 passes (8-1-2).
Created 153/1.
Changed "Distance" to "Displacement" on the Roster page and in the db.
An (unintended?) side effect of all this is that everyone's Speed is now
zero, since Displacement wasn't defined at the start of the previous
nweek.
Created 407/0.
Rob scores 7 points.

386/0 passes (7-2-2).
Created 408/0.
Congenital Optimist scores 8 points.

Next message: End-of-week/beginning-of-week transition reports. (Yeah,
technically, the next nweek won't start for a while, but I'm gonna get it
out of the way now.)

...dave

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 08:28:15 +0000 (GMT)
From: "David E. Smith" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: nweek-transition stuff
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Now, nweek-transition stuff.

I get to go through every player and recalculate Displacement (with the
new Manhattan metric) and Speed (zero for everyone, since it's based on
Displacement, which didn't exist prior to now-ish).

Since Displacement is now a simple addition, I'm tempted to just not do
anything with it at all. Would anyone object to it being removed from the
Roster page?

Antonio goes back on Forced Leave. (But e was technically Off Leave for a
couple ndays, which might matter at some point.)

I removed the useless attribute "Flaming" from Luigi. The joke has
probably run its course.

The Bandwidth Gremlin is still in Hiding.
The new Gremlin Number is 85.
The Immunity Idol is awarded to The Voice.

Turgul gets hit with Garbage Collection and is removed from the Roster.

Everyone's queued Grid moves fire off:
Rob moves NE to (5,3).
The Voice moves N to (6,5). E threw the PIG to Antonio when e was Off
Leave, but now e's On Leave and therefore not a legal target for the PIG.
Lacking a better idea, I decree that the PIG simply lands at Antonio's
location. (If the rules actually define this, lemme know.)

Bean moves N through multiple Frozen squares to (13,8). E left the
Bandwidth Gremlin behind, at (13,4).

Wonko moves SW through a Frozen square to (17,7).
Baron von Skippy moves S to (3,11).
Congenital Optimist moves E to (6,10).
Scoff! moves N to (16,14).

The Yeti moves a whole lot, leaving a trail of Wet (not Frozen) squares in
its wake:

NW to 18,11
SE to 17,10
NW to 16,11
E  to 17,11
NW to 16,12
W  to 15,12
W  to 14,12
N  to 14,13

They're Wet because they try to Freeze, but are immediately countered by
the Weather. All Wet squares are also Brooks, but I'm not gonna re-type
all twenty-four of them right now. (Also, right now, it doesn't actually
matter. "Water, Water Everywhere" states that "Wet" lasts 'til the end of
an nweek, but doesn't specify whether that applies to players or Grid
locations, or both.)

When Wet squares start to evaporate, they'll become Brooks at some point,
though I'm hoping that before that happens, someone will clean up the
whole Wet/Brook timing discrepancy. Otherwise, if it stays cold for a
while, it's possible that large chunks of The Grid could become Brooks
permanently.

Unless that was the point. I dunno.

Curt and Rod become Active, and are placed at (1,8) and (20,20)
respectively.

That should be it.

Whew.

Enjoy the one-wweek downtime, everyone. Clear out your outstanding CFJs if
you've got 'em. (Under the not-yet-revised Rule 3, for this nweek only,
Judgements may be passed and enacted. That paragraph oughta be permanent,
IMO, but that's just me.) Ruminate on new and exciting ideas, whilst I
ruminate on new and exciting database schema.

...dave

---- David E. Smith, POB 515045, St. Louis MO 63151
http://www.technopagan.org/    http://metadave.net/
http://www.bureau42.com/       http://whatIsay.com/

"Use anger to throw them into disarray." -- Sun Tzu

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 08:31:40 +0000 (GMT)
From: "David E. Smith" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: spoon-business: Ballot, nweek 7 (fwd)
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Ohyeah. Votes. These are Dan's votes for the preceding ballot.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:50:59 -0500 (EST)
From: Dan <[email-masked]>
To: David E. Smith <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: spoon-business: Ballot, nweek 7

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, David E. Smith wrote:

> The following proposals are on the ballot for nweek 7:
>
YES> Proposal 339/2: The All-Important Default Case (Rob)
NO> Proposal 342/2: Are you ready for some football! (Bean)
> Proposal 343/0: Just a little bit... (Bean)
> Proposal 359/2: Run, Run, As Fast As You Can! (Wonko)
> Proposal 360/2: Let's Get Ready To GREMBALL!!!!! (Wonko)
> Proposal 361/0: Broadening Horizons (Wonko)
> Proposal 362/1: Poetry In Motion (Bean)
NO> Proposal 363/0: You can only throw so far... (Wonko)
> Proposal 364/1: Not to be Confused with Sylvester Stallone (Glotmorf)
> Proposal 365/0: Get AWAY From That! (Glotmorf)
> Proposal 366/0: My Recipe for Siren Pate (Glotmorf)
> Proposal 367/1: The Pause that Refreshes (Glotmorf)
> Proposal 368/0: A Whole New Ball of Wax (Congenital Optimist)
> Proposal 370/1: Windows aren't all bad! (The Voice)
YES> Proposal 371/0: Judgement/Proposal overhaul (Dan)
YES> Proposal 372/1: This Ruleset isn't big enough for the both of us!
(Dan)
NO> Proposal 373/0: Fixing my own mistakes (Scoff!)
NO> Proposal 374/0: Judicial Rear View (Scoff!)
NO> Proposal 375/1: Still a Few Bugs in the System (Wonko)
NO> Proposal 376/0: Kill this man. (Uncle Psychosis)
NO> Proposal 377/1: So damn ugly. (Uncle Psychosis)
> Proposal 379/0: Vow of Poverty (Bean)
> Proposal 380/0: And We Can Make Little Outfits For Them Too! (Glotmorf)
> Proposal 381/0: Weather (The Voice)
> Proposal 382/0: The Yoyo Gremlin (The Voice)
YES> Proposal 383/0: Tilt (The Voice)
> Proposal 384/0: Ahh... (The Voice)
> Proposal 385/0: The Final Frontier (Rob)
> Proposal 386/0: Water, Water Everywhere (Congenital Optimist)

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 08:32:05 +0000 (GMT)
From: "David E. Smith" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Votes (fwd)
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

And these are Uncle Psychosis' votes.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 12:28:57 -0500
From: Gavin Doig <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Votes

Have you publicised my votes from last week yet?

339 - yes
342 - no
343 - no
359 - no
360 - no
361 - yes
362 - yes
363 - yes
364 - no
365 - no
366 - no
367 - yes
368 - no
370 - no
371 - NO!
372 - no
373 - yes
374 - yes
375 - no
376 - yes
377 - yes
379 - yes
380 - no
381 - no
382 - no
383 - no
384 - no
385 - yes
386 - no

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:08:21 -0600 (CST)
From: "Karin L. Kross" <[email-masked]>
To: B Nomic Business <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Judgment on CFJ 388
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

CFJ 388 (Judge: Congenital Optimist)
CFJ by Uncle Psychosis

> Statement: Uncle Psychosis got 10 points for submitting proosal 
> 376. 
> 
> Defendant: Glotmorf 
> 
> Rule 357 states: 
> Players submiting
> Proposals in haiku form
> Earn 10 extra points
> 
> A player who submits a proposal in haiku form earns 10 Score 
> points if the proposal is adopted, in addition to any points 
> received as a normal consequence of the adoption of a 
> proposal." 
>
> To me, that reads as 10 points for submitting it, and another 
> 10 if it passes. 

Ruling: FALSE

Analysis: Cloudy though the wording of the original rule may be, 
it seems fairly clear to me that the intention was to use the 
haiku as an introduction, and the prose paragraph as a full 
explanation.  The prose paragraph seems clear to me: "earns 10 
Score points _if the proposal is adopted_" (emphasis mine). 

-Congenital Optimist

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:10:55 -0600 (CST)
From: "Karin L. Kross" <[email-masked]>
To: B Nomic Business <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Judgemnet on CFJ 369
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

CFJ 369 (Judge: Congenital Optimist)
CFJ by The Voice

> STATEMENT: Glotmorf did not succeed at giving Scoff! a Kick in 
> the Ass for having a title which is not on the LON, as she was 
> acting within her capacity as the female Style Police by 
> calling herself Miss Emma Stanton Scoff of Hadleydale Manor. 
> 
> I name Glotmorf as defendant. 

Ruling: True.

Analysis: While it is arguable that "Miss" is not a title on the 
LON, I believe that "Miss Emma Stanton Scoff" is simply a name, 
and "of Hadleydale Manor" a location.  Neither, in that case, is 
a title.  The Kick in the Ass did not succeed.

-Congenital Optimist

-- 
[email-masked] | http://seishonagon.org
"don't you know there ain't no devil
 there's just god when he's drunk"
 (Tom Waits "Heartattack and Vine")

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 19:44:37 -0500
From: Rob Speer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: A future proposal
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I submit the following proposal 6 days from now:

__Someday We'll All Look Back On This and Laugh Nervously__
{{
Create revisable object 129/3, which is identical to 129/1.
[[ This undoes uin's proposal, and puts back what Wonko's intended to do
to 129. ]]
}}

[[
I must make another reference to Godel, Escher, Bach. Uncle P, if you're
dying to know why your proposal will never work, the chapter
"Contrafactus" sums it up (it involves Tortoise and Achilles watching
their Subjunc-TV, which shows exactly what would have happened at
various stages in a football game if certain contrary-to-fact events had
occurred.)

Since we have no Subjunc-TV, we have no way of looking at the
counterfactual version of the Nomic, where (for example) the proposals
were numbered differently. Is it a version of the game where one of the
proposals with conflicting numbers didn't exist? Or a version where
those two proposals had each other's numbers? Or where all the numbers
were different? Or a version of the game where a highly efficient but
silly bunch of players encodes everything about each object in a
three-digit number, which could be the same as another object's
three-digit number, and these numbers are then uniquely identified by
multiple paragraphs of text?

The rule gives no way to determine this; it only says "what they now
would be had the statement been true at the time it was made", as if
there is any deterministic way to tell that.

If we do not undo this proposal, the game WILL die.
]]

-- 
Rob Speer

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 02:13:33 +0000 (GMT)
From: "David E. Smith" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Yup, more stuff I overlooked.
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Since the value of The Watch is required to be displayed, it's now
displayed on the B Nomic homepage.

The Clock lies, by the way. I set it back a week, so that when gameplay
restarts, it'll be correct.

And I'm supposed to drop a Ball of Wax on the Grid... Let's put it at
(7,20).

Anything else I'm forgetting? I'm trying to write up a reasonably
comprehensive "stuff to do at nweek-transition time" checklist.

...dave

---- David E. Smith, POB 515045, St. Louis MO 63151
http://www.technopagan.org/    http://metadave.net/
http://www.bureau42.com/       http://whatIsay.com/

"Use anger to throw them into disarray." -- Sun Tzu

Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:31:36 -0500 (EST)
From: Dan <[email-masked]>
To: "'nomic-business'" <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Two new Proposals.  Gremlins go wild! (revised)
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

When you recognize my two proposals can you recognize this version
instead?  What do I have to do?  Can I rescind the old one and submit this
in its place, or does that do something else now?

{{

[[ 
This is revised to take into account the following very valid point
made by Scoff!:

Notwithstanding the issue of whether you can propose these now or not, the
Swarm Gremlins won't work unless you find a way to specify a unique
Gremlin name for each one.  'All Gremlins must have unique names, in the
form of "the **** Gremlin", where **** is a string of at least 1
alphanumeric character.'

]]

__The Gremlin Factory__
Enact a new rule:
{{
__The Factory__
There Exists a Factory.  The Factory is an immovable, impassable object.
A Player who is adjacent to the Factory on the Grid may press the purple
button on the Factory.  The first time this is done on any nday the
Factory shall create a Swarm Gremlin.  The Administrator shall place the
newly created gremlin on the Grid at the location of the player who was
responsible for its creation.
}}

Enact a new rule:  
{{ __Swarm Gremlins__ 

Swarm Gremlins are Gremlins.  
They may be created, modified, and destroyed only as specified by the
Rules.  

Upon creation of a Swarm Gremlin, the Administrator shall assign to the
newly created gremlin an identification number sufficiently distinct to
distinguish it from any other existing Swarm Gremlin.  The name of the
newly created gremlin shall be "the **** Swarm Gremlin" where **** is the
gremlin's identification number in written (not numerical) form.

[[Swarm Gremlin 5 would be named "the fifth Swarm Gremlin"]]

[[ The Administrator is not required to give out these numbers in any sort
of coherent order, although for the sake of sanity I suggest that e start
at 1 and count upwards ]]

}} 
}}

The Following is a new Proposal
{{
__Bribes for the Gremlin Game__
Enact a new rule: 

{{ __Gremlin Influence__ 

Each gremlin has the influence attribute.  The influence attribute
consists of two parts:  a list of the players who have gained influence
over that Gremlin and the total amount of influence gained over that
gremlin.  The total influence should always be twenty greater than the sum
of the player influences. Initially all gremlins have zero total influence
and no players have influence over any gremlin.  No total influence or
player influence component shall ever be less than zero.

}}

Enact a new rule:

{{ __Bribes for Influence__
A player may gain influence over a gremlin by bribing the gremlin with a
multiple of ten points.  This may only be done if the player is within two
units of the gremlin on the Grid, or if both the player and the gremlin
are in limbo.Upon recognition of the Bribe the Administrator shall reduce
the score of the bribing player by the amount of the bribe and increase
the bribing player's influence over the bribed gremlin by the amount of
the bribe.  The administrator shall not recognize a bribe if it would
result in the reduction of the player's score to less than zero points.

}}

Enact a new rule:

{{ __Fun stuff to do with influence__

A player may politely request, by posting in the public forum, for a
gremlin over which e has influence to take a particular action.  The
Administer shall roll 1dn, where n is the total influence of that gremlin.  
If the result is less than the player's influence over that gremlin, and
the action is legal for that gremlin at that time, the gremlin will do as
asked.  Otherwise it will spit in the player's face and move 1 unit away
from the player on the Grid.  If the direction directly away from the
player is not obvious or movement in that direction is not possible it
will move in a random direction.  

Gremlins do not take actions not defined by the rules.

}}

Append the following to rule 294:

{{
Gremlins may vote as specified by the rules
}}

Make the following changes to rule 355: 

{{ 

Change "Player" in the first paragraph to "Player or gremlin".

Change each instance of "Player" in the second paragraph to "Player or
Gremlin"

Change the first two instances of "Player and a gremlin" in the third
paragraph to "gremlin and a player or a second gremlin".

append the following paragraph: 

{{ 

Held gremlins cannot hold anything.  

}}

[[I know recursive gremlins would be fun for us and a nightmare for the
admin, but it was getting just too annoying to figure out all the possible
cases.  Sorry.]]

append the following paragraph:

{{
If a gremlin is thrown at another gremlin and the target gremlin is being
held, both gremlins fall to the grid location (or limbo) where the holder
was standing.  If the target gremlin is unheld then the thrown gremlin
falls to the grid location where the target was standing.

}}

}}

}}

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 22:54:59 -0500
From: "Donald Whytock" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Nweek 8 gremlin number
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Mr. A, has the nweek 8 gremlin number been calculated and posted yet?  I'd=
 like to know before I submit certain proposals.

						Glotmorf

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 01:30:34 -0500
From: "Donald Whytock" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Nomilogue #1
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

For recognition once the Clock is again on:

{{ _A Journey of a Thousand Words_

[[

Where to begin?

It's said that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, but=
 the journeys I'm anticipating aren't going to be measured in miles, or=
 quite possibly even steps.

But since I don't know where my journey will take me -- if anywhere -- and=
 I don't know how I'll communicate along the way, the first step seems to=
 be in the direction of assembling all these scribblings and notes and=
 journal entries into something coherent and getting it out to be read.=
  And perhaps even understood.

And therefore the path on which the first step was taken was through the=
 door of the publishing company for Scientific American, in order to submit=
 my collected research for the world to see and appreciate.  This first=
 step inward was shortly followed by hasty steps outward.  The educated,=
 proper publishers of a well-respected magazine apparently had no time to=
 waste on the babbling of an obvious lunatic.  Never mind that I had proof=
 and diagrams, never mind that the very idea was revolutionary...the very=
 idea was beyond their ability to seriously consider.

I didn't fare better with other magazines and technical journals.  Even=
 getting down as far as tiny Science News didn't get me anywhere; their=
 reaction was that what I had to offer wasn't science, and therefore wasn't=
 news.

Finally, as what I thought would be a last resort, I tried Analog, which=
 runs science fact articles as well as science fiction.  Perhaps, I hoped,=
 they would have a more liberal point of view.  And in fact the editor's=
 initial enthusiasm encouraged me at first, until he spoke: "This is=
 interesting.  Nice retro style, reminiscent of Verne and Wells.  How many=
 installments do you think it'll run?"

"I don't think you understand.  This is non-fiction."

He stared at me, then back at my manuscript; he leafed through the pages=
 again, and eventually responded with, "...Ah."

"I have proof...diagrams, test results..."

"Yes, I'm sure.  Have you tried...Scientific American?"

"I've tried everywhere.  Look, I'm not some crackpot.  My lab documents,=
 practices controlled-environment testing..."

He looked pained.  His eyes rested on the pages in front of him for a=
 while, before he fished in a drawer and handed me a card.

I looked at the name and number. "SPIT?"

The editor squirmed.  "The Society for the Propogation of Innovative=
 Technology.  They're dedicated to providing a forum for...unpopular=
 ideas."

"And they call themselves SPIT?"

"No, but...everyone else does.  I'm really sorry.  We do run speculative=
 fiction, yes, but I'm afraid the management draws the line=
 at...speculative fact."

I wasn't encouraged, but I wasn't otherwise successful, so I called and was=
 told to come on in, and was met by a bored-looking receptionist who=
 listened to all of three sentences before holding up her hand and asking,=
 "You got a prototype?"

"It's still in development.  I plan to provide progress reports as we..."

"Yeah, yeah.  Here's our submission policies." She handed me a booklet.=
  "You'll probably be submitting to our Unexplored Physics focus journal."

I felt ill. "SPIT-UP?"

"Bathroom down the hall.  Have a nice day."

A quiet evening with a stiff drink eventually loosened me up enough to look=
 at the submission guidelines.  Most of it was standard format for review=
 of scientific papers, but toward the back a new category caught my eye:

]]

{{ _Literary Forms_

Proposals may be submitted in Literary Forms -- forms whose structure=
 enhances but does not interfere with the rules and actions being=
 presented.  A Literary Form must allow the rules and actions being=
 presented to be clearly understood by all players.  Literary Forms include=
 Prose Forms and Poetic Forms.

}}

[[

I tried to wrap my head around the concept of presenting scientific=
 principles in a literary form.  A footnote said this new format for=
 submissions was a result of findings that otherwise=
 difficult-to-comprehend information was more accessible to the public when=
 presented in a form that generated more interest.

I was fairly sure poetic forms were not an option to me; I had never done=
 well with verse in my English classes.  On the other hand...

]]

{{ _Prose Forms_

Prose Forms are Literary Forms, in which a proposal's rules and actions are=
 presented in the context of a story or narrative.  The rules and actions=
 presented must be clearly delimited from the story component, and at the=
 same time must be reflected in the story component.  If a proposal is=
 submitted in Prose Form, and it is adopted, it earns its submitter 10=
 score.

}}

[[

Narrative.  And ten score if they accept!  When the Old Man first talked=
 with me, I thought he'd be looking for a way to get rich; it never=
 occurred to me that I might also.

I shall assemble my notes, and add the experiences that led to my findings,=
 and describe my journeys (if they actually occur), and share them with the=
 world.  Or should I say that I'll SPIT them UP?

(To be continued...)

]]

}}

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 02:25:33 +0000 (GMT)
From: "David E. Smith" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: The Daily Recognizer (welcome back!)
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Man, I almost missed this. Almost...

Anyway. Here's a whole bucket of stuff which can now be offically recognized.

Baron von Skippy's "I Have Found The Solution!" is 409/0.
"Another Way To Remove A Splinter" is 410/0.

Dan's "The Gremlin Factory" is 411/0.
"Bribes for the Gremlin Game" is 412/0.

Congenital Optimist has ruled on CFJs 369 and 388.

Baron von Skippy did not transfer ten points to anyone (for correcting eir
interpretation that "rule" is a two-syllable word) because I'm not gonna
be bothered to scour through all those email messages. (I claim that since
e failed to specify another legal owner of points, per rule 21/3, the
transfer failed.)

Rob's "Someday We'll All Look Back On This and Laugh Nervously" is 413/0.

Re: Bean's RFC on whether I'd intentionally try to alter the gamestate in
some sneaky way: Well, I don't think anyone has officially objected to my
statement that the gamestate is Blue... We'll see how things go from
there.

Dan revised The Gremlin Factory (411/1).
(I didn't see any changes to the various Gremlin Bribery proposals in
there, so I didn't revise it. If I've erred, I'm sure someone will point
it out with remarkable quickness.)

Glotmorf's "Journey of a Thousand Words" is 414/0. And I'd advise Glotmorf
to lay off the drugs, because every time you drop one of those speedballs
you were obviously on when you wrote that, you're supporting terrorism.

There is still one open CFJ: 324. It was assigned to Baron von Skippy well
more than seven ndays ago, and e hasn't yet rendered an opinion. E is
penalized ten points (not that e has any...), and is added to the List of
Misbehaving Judges. Even though the point is completely and wholly moot at
this stage, I'm still obliged to reassign that CFJ to someone else - oh,
let's say Uncle Psychosis.

That should cover everything.

Oh, yeah, since I get one proposal a week, here it is:

{{
__Hiding Really Means Hiding__

A Gremlin which is Hiding has no location. It is neither on the Grid, nor
in Limbo. A Gremlin which goes into Hiding for any reason is removed from
the Grid if it is on the Grid, and is removed from Limbo if it is in
Limbo. Such Gremlins may not be used in GremBall, and may not vote (if
another rule specifies that a Gremlin may vote, this rule takes precedence
over that one).

Newly-created Gremlins, and Gremlins which become Active, have a 50%
chance of entering Limbo, and a 50% chance of being placed on the Grid at
a random location determined by the Administrator, unless the starting
position of said Gremlin is defined elsewhere.

}}

Recognized as 415/0.

...dave

---- David E. Smith, POB 515045, St. Louis MO 63151
http://www.technopagan.org/    http://metadave.net/
http://www.bureau42.com/       http://whatIsay.com/

"There is so much randomness in the world that it's
a dice roll whether I'm happy or depressed." - TMCM

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 03:17:59 -0500
From: "Donald Whytock" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Gremlin resurrection
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

{{ _Do Gremlins Go to Heaven?_

Create a new rule:

{{ _Gremlin Resurrection_

If there ceases to be any Gremlins of a particular type defined in the=
 Rules, a new Gremlin of that type will be created at the beginning of the=
 second nweek following the nweek in which the last Gremlin of that type is=
 eliminated.

Rules, events and actions pertaining specifically to the eliminated Gremlin=
 type will not be in effect until the new Gremlin of that type is created.

}}

}}

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 03:33:17 -0500
From: "Donald Whytock" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Steven Spielberg Presents...Gremlins
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

{{ _They're not just cute and furry and aerodynamic..._

[[

DON'T get them wet!
DON'T feed them after midnight!
DON'T take them out into the sun!

]]

Create a new rule:

{{ _Gremlin Multiplication_

If a Gremlin should become Wet (as opposed to already being Wet), or if a=
 Gremlin is fed something (as explicitly permitted in the rules, and as=
 opposed to the Gremlin eating something on its own) between the hours of=
 00:00:00 and 06:00:00 UTC, it will Multiply, causing an additional Gremlin=
 of the same type as the first to be created in the same location as the=
 first.  A Gremlin may not Multiply more than once per nday.

The name given to the new Gremlin shall be enumerated for uniqueness, e.g.=
 the Second King Gremlin, the Fifth Witch Gremlin, the Eight Hundred and=
 Seventy-Third Proposal Ingesting Gremlin, etc.  If a particular enumerated=
 Gremlin is referred to by its alias, the enumeration must be included in=
 the reference, e.g. Luigi the Twelfth.

}}

Add the following paragraph to the end of r345:

"If more than one Luigi exists at the time a collection is to be made from=
 a Player, the Luigi that makes the collection, and thus gets the points,=
 is determined randomly by the Administrator.  A Player may make a payment=
 to any Luigi."

}}

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:05:10 -0500
From: "Donald Whytock" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Hannibal Comes to the Mountain
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

{{ _Them's Good Eatin'_

Create a new rule:

{{ _The Cannibalistic Gremlin_

There exists a Gremlin called the Cannibalistic Gremlin, also known as=
 Hannibal.  Hannibal is Active if any other Gremlins are Active; otherwise=
 it is Hiding.

Hannibal has an attribute called Hunger.  At the beginning of an nweek,=
 Hannibal's Hunger is increased by 1.  If Hannibal eats a Gremlin, its=
 hunger is reduced by -1.

At the beginning of an nday, the following circumstances are evaluated and=
 acted upon:

1. If Hannibal is in the same location (Grid, Limbo, or in a Player's=
 possession) as one or more other Active Gremlins, one of those Gremlins=
 will be randomly selected, and Hannibal will eat it; the eaten Gremlin is=
 destroyed.  Hannibal will then take no further actions that nday.

2. If Hannibal is airborne, i.e. thrown at a Player and not yet caught or=
 impacted, it takes no action that nday.

3. If Hannibal is in the possession of a Player, it will Kick that Player,=
 causing damage equivalent to being hit by a flying Gremlin, and drop out=
 of the Player's possession into the Player's location.

4. If Hannibal is in Limbo, and there are no Active Gremlins in Limbo, but=
 there are Active Gremlins on the Grid, it will perform an=
 Elbonian-Airways-style Throw on itself at one of those Gremlins, randomly=
 selected.

5. If Hannibal is on the Grid, and not in the same location as another=
 Active Gremlin, and there are Active Gremlins on the Grid, it will move=
 one Grid location closer to the nearest (or one of the nearest, randomly=
 selected) Gremlin.

6. If Hannibal is in Limbo, and there are no Active Gremlins in Limbo or on=
 the Grid, but there are Players on the Grid carrying Active Gremlins, it=
 will perform a GremBall-style throw on itself at one of those Players,=
 randomly selected.

7. If Hannibal is on the Grid, and there are no Active Gremlins on the=
 Grid, but there are Players on the Grid or in Limbo carrying Active=
 Gremlins, it will perform a GremBall-style throw on itself at one of those=
 Players, randomly selected.

A Player can feed a Gremlin to Hannibal, either by possessing Hannibal or=
 being at its location and giving it a Gremlin that e possesses or that is=
 at its location, or by throwing a Gremlin at Hannibal, who will then catch=
 and eat the Gremlin.

If Hannibal's Hunger reaches -3, it will explode, and be destroyed.

If more than one Hannibal exists, random selection of all Hannibals'=
 consumption targets will occur before the actual consumption.  The=
 Hannibals will then be randomly sequenced and perform their consumption in=
 turn.  If a Hannibal is eaten by another Hannibal before it gets to do its=
 own eating, its consumption target isn't eaten.  If one Hannibal's=
 consumption target is eaten by another Hannibal, the first Hannibal=
 doesn't eat.

}}

}}

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 22:04:00 -0500
Subject: spoon-business: Multiple Gremlins
From: Wonko <[email-masked]>
To: Business Nomic <[email-masked]>
Blobman: 1
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Say, Gremlin multiplicity could have some disastrous repercussions... If we
get 2 PIGs, for instance, they both simultaneously eat the same proposal.
Then what happens? Also, it could cause problems with the Scoring Gremlin =AD
there are a number of rules that refer to it specifically, and if there are
2 of it, then it's inherent shutoff (when the lowest player ties someone
else) might never occur. Also, imagine the chaos with 50 Scoring Gremlins =AD
Whenever a prop is recognized, the lowest scoring player gets 50 points?!?
And what about the Bandwidth Gremlin? You could have a player end up with 5=
0
or 60 Proposal Tokens!

Is it just me, or is that bad?

--Wonko

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

From: "Jonathan Van Matre" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 10:47:21 -0600
Subject: spoon-business: The awarding of the Scarf
content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I was going to award the Scarf at the beginning of this nweek, but as the h=
istory is offline I can't review last nweek's proposals to make my decision=
=2E  But I don't want to retain it all nweek, so based on my memory of last=
 nweek's proposals, and the few I still have archived in my e-mail, I'm awa=
rding the Scarf to Rob for the beautifully succinct Default Case proposal. =
 "This rule defers to all other rules" was a particularly elegant touch.  P=
lus, Rob was deserving of some Style points for the Curshed Sushi proposal =
a few nweeks ago, which earned em the honor of being the first Style Police=
, but not the points to go with it.  So bravo, Rob!  Enjoy your second turn=
 with the Scarf!

As for the awarding being late...the Admin hasn't penalized me for still ha=
ving the Scarf yet, so maybe it can stay that way unless someone cares to C=
FJ em for failing to do so.  In which case I'll accept my lashes and that w=
ill be that.

--Scoff!

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:47:09 -0500 (EST)
From: Dan <[email-masked]>
To: "'nomic-business'" <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Revision of Proposal 412
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I revise proposal 412 as follows: 

{{

replace the last instance of: 

{{ append the following paragraph: }}

with: 

{{ append the following: }}

replace: 

{{ Held gremlins cannot hold anything. }}

with: 

{{ Held gremlins cannot hold anything.  If the holder of an object (this
includes gremlins and anything else that can be held) ever ceases to be
allowed to hold that object, the new location of the held object is the
drid location (or limbo) of its former holder.}}

}}

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:57:26 -0500 (EST)
From: Dan <[email-masked]>
To: "'nomic-business'" <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Another revision of 412
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

The following is another revision of proposal 412.

{{

Replace:
{{ A player may gain influence over a gremlin }}

With:
{{ A player may gain influence over an active gremlin }}

Replace:
{{ A player may politely request, by posting in the public forum, for a
gremlin }}

With
{{ A player may politely request, by posting in the public forum, for an
active gremlin }}

}}

Dan

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:31:14 -0500
From: "Donald Whytock" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Proposal Modification
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Amend the proposal entitled _Them's Good Eatin'_ as follows:

Replace the text "reduced by -1" with "reduced by 1".

						Glotmorf

From: "Jonathan Van Matre" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:15:06 -0600
Subject: spoon-business: First Limerick Proposal
content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

__There Was A Young Siren From Nantucket...__

{{

Sirens are sexy and sweet.
By Big Rocks they cannot be beat.
Change Rule 346
In which sentence? Six!
'Tween the deuce and trey commas, delete.

}}

[[ To clarify, although it should be pretty plain, this removes the clause =
"as well as anything sitting on the original Big Rock" from rule 346.  It's=
 no fun if you can just buy your way out of a Siren problem.  Big Rocks sti=
ll destroy other Big Rocks, but anything else in the space stays there.

I'll gladly vote this clause back in if we ever get bored of Sirens, but I'=
d really like to see the rule in action first, and I'm not about to spend a=
 bunch of points buying Big Rocks if everyone else is just going to buy the=
 Sirens into oblivion. ]]

From: "Jonathan Van Matre" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:24:29 -0600
Subject: spoon-business: Style Attribute and a Gun Purchase
content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I hereby use 15 of my Style points to acquire the following Style Attribute=
: Dame Of The British Empire

I also purchase a Pinball Gun for 2 Score points.

no FBI background check!  whee!

--Scoff!

From: "Tyler Crosby" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Entropy
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 20:50:56 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

In honor of my AP Chemistry class, I hereby propose the following rule:

{{ _Second Law of Thermodynomics_

[[

Nomiverses are
very confusing places
due to Entropy.

]]

Create a new rule known as _Entropy_ with the following -0- delimited text:

-0-
Players have an attribute called Entropy.  Entropy is a Dimension.  At the 
end of each nweek, each player's Entropy shall increase by an amount equal 
to the sum of the increase in eir charm for that nweek and 1/2 the number of 
game actions (movements, purchases, throws, etc.)taken during that nweek.

The game state shall have a property known as Universal Entropy.  The value 
for Universal Entropy is always equal to the sum of all players' Entropy 
values.  If Universal Entropy is ever greater than 500, the Clock will be 
turned off until the Watch reads 3 wdays, and the following actions will 
occur in order immediately: 1)All sirens, big rocks, shields, big sticks, 
and balls of wax are destroyed.  2)All players are placed into Limbo.  3)All 
properties of grid squares [[such as Wet or Frozen]] are removed.  4)The 
Yeti is moved to a random square on the grid.  5)All Gremlins go into 
Hiding.  6)All players receive 10 points.   7)All players' Entropy values 
are set to 0.
-0-
}}

-0- Thus Spake The Voice -0-
*Ignore this signature if :
1) it doesn't make sense to you
2) it seems outdated
3) you feel moved to make a sarcastic comment
4) you didn't read to the end of this list.
Thank you, and have a nice day.*

_________________________________________________________________
Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com

From: "Tyler Crosby" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Wind
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 22:28:09 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I promised I'd add more, so here goes:

{{ _No, YOU'RE a Blowhard!_

[[

Watch out where you aim!
The wind is blowing hard and
you may miss your goal.

]]

Append the following -0- delimited text to the end of rule 405/0:

-0-
Wind is a Characteristic.

Wind has two sub-characteristics, Speed (S) and Direction (D).  All objects 
which are thrown on the Grid (gremlins, players via E.A., etc.) behave in 
the following manner: If 5<S<10, the thrown object falls 1 square away from 
the intended target in the direction of D (north, west, southeast, etc.).  
If 10<S<20, the thrown object falls 2 squares away from the intended target 
in the direction of D.  If 20<S<30, the thrown object falls 3 squares away 
from the intended target in the direction of D.  If 30<S<40, the thrown 
object automatically falls into Limbo.  If an object is in flight when S and 
D are updated, its target is changed relative to its once-adjusted position.
-0-
}}

My values for S are based in mph, if you (dave) have values in kph more 
easily accessible, I give you permission to rectify this proposal in order 
to give comparable values for S.  Also, that last sentence is kinda badly 
phrased.  If anyone has any suggestions on how to phrase that better, feel 
free to put them on discuss and I will implement them.

-0- Thus Spake The Voice -0-
*Ignore this signature if :
1) it doesn't make sense to you
2) it seems outdated
3) you feel moved to make a sarcastic comment
4) you didn't read to the end of this list.
Thank you, and have a nice day.*

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 23:07:23 -0500
From: Rob Speer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Grid move
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I move to (5,4).
-- 
Rob Speer

From: "Tyler Crosby" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Game Actions
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 16:31:21 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Ahem... here goes,

In this order,

I move to 6,6.

I fly Elbonian Airways, and my destination is the bottom central station.

I place myself on the roster for Team Crimson.

Here I come, Bean.

-0-Thus Spake The Voice-0-

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.

From: "Tyler Crosby" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Immunity Idol/ Respect
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 16:54:06 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

{{ _Mommy, my Idol's broken!_

Replace the second paragraph of rule 293/0 with the following -0- delimited 
text:

-0-
The player who holds the Immunity Idol:
1)May hold any gremlin for any amount of time.  If a player loses the Idol 
while they are holding a gremlin, the time limit starts from the point at 
which they lost the Idol.
2)May be "hit" by any gremlin without a point loss.  If a gremlin hits the 
player with the Idol, e immediately goes into Hiding.
3)May forego making debt payments to Luigi without penalty.
4)May NOT curse any other player or be cursed emselves.
5)May NOT recieve the Token of Proposals.
6)May NOT Climb Through the Window.
7)May NOT have any of eir proposals eaten by the PIG.

Any rule which creates a gremlin which directly affects players must also 
amend this rule to specify how that gremlin would affect the player with the 
Idol.
-0-

Also, give said rule a chutzpah of 2. [[Easier than going through and 
writing down all the rules this rule now has to take precedence over...]]
}}

Also,
{{
_Inaugural Declaration of Respect_

For his All-Important Default Case, we respect Rob.
}}

-0-Thus Spake The Voice-0-

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:45:01 -0500
Subject: spoon-business: Gnomes
From: Wonko <[email-masked]>
To: Business Nomic <[email-masked]>
Blobman: 1
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

{{
__They're everywhere too!__

Create:
{{
__Gnomes__

There exist objects called Gnomes. Each Gnome has a type. Gnome types may
only exist as defined by the rules. Each Gnome can be either at a Grid
Location, in Limbo, or in the possession of a Player. Gnomes may be picked
up and thrown as if they were Gremlins. Each Gnome has two Hit Points. If a
Gnome is Thrown at a player but not caught, it loses one Hit Point. If a
Gnome has less than 1 Hit Point, it crumbles to dust and is destroyed.
Whenever a Gnome type is defined, a single Gnome of that type shall be
placed in the same manner as a Gremlin would be placed when it is first
defined.
This rule defers to all rules which define types of Gnomes.
}}

Create:
{{
__Basic Gnomes__

There exist Gnomes of type Basic.
}}

Amend rule 406 to read:
{{
__Yoyo Gnomes__

There exist Gnomes of type Yoyo. When a Yoyo Gnome is Thrown at a player and
is not caught, it returns to the possession of the player who threw it, if
one exists. Yoyo Gnomes have 3 Hit Points.
}}
}}

Popular opinion seems to be that having "Gremlins" that can multiply would
be cool. This is similar to the Gremlin Multiplicity thing, except without
the need to rewrite most Gremlin rules. Basic Gnomes are just Gnomes. The
Yoyo Gremlin I think might be better as a Gnome than a Gremlin, 'cause it
won't be screwed up by multiplicity.

--Wonko

"In the end, everything is a gag. "
- Charlie Chaplin

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:53:06 -0500
Subject: Re: spoon-business: Game Actions
From: Wonko <[email-masked]>
To: Business Nomic <[email-masked]>
Blobman: 1
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Quoth Tyler Crosby,

> In this order,
> 
> I move to 6,6.
> 
> I fly Elbonian Airways, and my destination is the bottom central station.
> 
> I place myself on the roster for Team Crimson.
> 
> Here I come, Bean.
> 

Actually, I'm afraid you don't. The move works fine, but it won't take
effect until the end of the nweek. Next nweek, you'll be able to fly
Elbonian, but not yet. (that's one reason I think moves should happen
immediately, not at the end of the nweek).

Since you did everything in that order, I assume you also failed to place
yourself on Crimson, bcs you haven't flown Elbonian yet.

On a related note, I move to (18,6).

-- 
Wonko

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 21:25:50 -0500
To: [email-masked]
From: Eric Gerlach <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: spoon-business: Game Actions
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

At 04:31 PM 2002-02-27 -0500, you wrote:
>Here I come, Bean.

Koi.  I'm ready for ya. :)

However, on the off chance that things don't look so good next nweek... 
better be able to pass and punt...

PROPOSAL #1
===========

{{
__Football fixes__

Revise rule 394 as follows:

- Add the following paragraph after the 6th paragraph:
"A Drive, when referring to Football, is defined as the period of time 
between when one of the players on a team is first in posession of the 
football and the soonest point at which a player on that team is not in 
possession of the football. [[ This def'n may have to change, but it'll 
work for now ]]  The Line of Scrimmage of a Drive is defined as the 
locations on The Grid which have the same x-coordinate that the Football 
did at the beginning of the Drive."

- Add the following paragraph after the 2nd paragraph:
"When calculating any distance with regard to the game of Football the 
Euclidean metric is always used, except when calculating a Player's 
distance to eir end-zone.  The distance from a Player to eir end-zone is 
the absolute value of the difference between eir x-coordinate, and the 
x-coordinate of eir end-zone."

- Remove the text "(measured by Euclidean distance)" and "(again measured 
by Euclidean distance)"

- Add the following sentence to the end of the paragraph that mentions 
Elbonian Airways: "Players may not use Curt and Rod to move as specified in 
rule 402."
}}

PROPOSAL #2
===========

{{
__Only running is boring__

Create the following rule:
{{
__Pass! I'm open!__

If no player on eir team has already done so in the current nweek, the 
Player in posession of the Football may choose to Pass the Football.  To 
make a Pass, a player announces eir intention to do so in a public forum, 
and indicates a Player who is playing football to recieve the Pass.  If the 
indicated Player is able to recieve the Pass according to the rules, the 
Football is immediately placed in the posession of the recieving 
Player.  There are two types of Passes:  Forward Passes and Lateral Passes.

A Pass is a Forward Pass if and only if the recieving Player is closer to 
eir end-zone (measured using the x-coordinate) than the passing 
Player.  The recieving Player for a Forward Pass must be within 7 units of 
the Player making the Pass.  A Player may only make a Forward Pass if e is 
no closer to eir end-zone than the Line of Scrimmage for the current Drive.

All Passes which are not Forward passes are Lateral Passes.  The recieving 
Player of a Lateral Pass must be within 4 units of the Player making the Pass.
}}

}}

PROPOSAL #3
===========

{{
__Only running is boring II:  Bean Boots Back__

Create a rule:

{{
__Third and long... *boot*!__

Any time before the 8th day of the nweek, the Player in possession of the 
Football may Punt the Football.  E does so by declaring eir intention to do 
so in a public forum, along with a target location on The Grid at which 
they are trying to Punt the Football.  The target location of the football 
must be more than 4 units away from any Player on eir team. [[You can't 
punt at your own players]]  The target location must also be within 10 
units of the player punting the Football.

When the Football is punted, it ceases to be in the possession of any 
Player, and removes itself from The Grid.  As soon as possible, The 
Administrator must calculate the actual landing location of the Football 
and announce it in a public forum.  E does this by rolling 1d6 for each of 
the x- and y- coordinate, and modifing it by the following table:

1: -1, roll again
2: -1
3-4: 0
5: +1
6: +1, roll again

"roll again" implies the Administrator should add the result, then roll 1d6 
and add that result, and so on (i.e. the die rolls are cumulative).

At the end of the nweek, after all Players playing football have moved, the 
Football lands. [[*whump*]]  If a player is at the landing location of the 
Football announced by the Administrator, and e is not on the same team as 
the player who punted the Football, e may catch it, at which point it is in 
eir posession.  Otherwise, the Football places itself on The Grid at the 
announced landing location.  [[So the football is made of lead... maybe 
we'll make it bounce a bit later]]

No player on the same team as the player who punted the Football may pickup 
the Football up until after the end of the nweek after the Football was 
punted or until a Player who is not on eir team picks up the Football, 
whichever comes first. [[Basically, after the Football lands, Players on 
the punting team can't touch it for a nweek.  This stops it from just being 
a longer pass]]

}}

Well, here's some more ways to have fun in Football!  Currently, there's no 
way to intercept a pass or block a punt or anything like that, you just 
have to tackle the reciever.  Perhaps interceptions will come next nweek... 
now, if only someone else would join Team Turquoise so I could pass it to 
'em :)

Oh, by the way I object to the Administrator's statement that the gamestate 
is "Blue" and I think that if we all look carefully, we'll find it 
isn't.  Woo, disaster averted by consensus.

From: "Alex Truelsen" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: spoon-business: Game Actions
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 21:31:04 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Quoth Tyler Crosby,

 > In this order,
 >
 > I move to 6,6.
 >
 > I fly Elbonian Airways, and my destination is the bottom central station.
 >
 > I place myself on the roster for Team Crimson.
 >
 > Here I come, Bean.
 >

Actually, I'm afraid you don't. The move works fine, but it won't take
effect until the end of the nweek. Next nweek, you'll be able to fly
Elbonian, but not yet. (that's one reason I think moves should happen
immediately, not at the end of the nweek).

Since you did everything in that order, I assume you also failed to place
yourself on Crimson, bcs you haven't flown Elbonian yet.
- I you, for the Wonko have the word of the cranium. nit. After the thing 
which begs. Ohio and two little more. Neener neener. The morons which we get 
how it is many from here it deceived in nitpicking wages circumference?

On a related note, I move to (18,6).
-It moves with me (12,4).-

--
Wonko

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: 
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx

From: "Alex Truelsen" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Tactic the message which it does 
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 21:42:05 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

All misconduct the in-flight repast which is suitable because of description 
below, me gives the sushi which the Babel it curses to acoustic in 
necessity. When being to go out as, I hope the fact that to the E it enjoys 
iss very. Goodbye, it is filthy, ik ci the fish which is not.

                                             BvS

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: 
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 01:51:19 -0500
From: Rob Speer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: Heat Death of the Nomic
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Since I am afraid that thomehow, in the future, the Clock may get turned
off and become impothible to turn on again, or some other disathter along
those lines might occur, I propose:

__Nomic Revival__
{{

Create a rule with a Chutzpah of 3:
__Nomic Revival__
{{

  In any 21-day span of time, there must be at least one opportunity to
  change the ruleset. It is not necessary that the ruleset actually
  change as a result of this opportunity, only that there was a
  plausible way for it to change. [[For example, a proposal that is
  voted down counts as an opportunity.]]

  If such an opportunity would not otherwise exist, then on the 18th day
  without opportunities to change the ruleset, the Administrator shall
  release an Extra Ballot containing any proposals recognized since the
  previous Ballot. Proposals on this Ballot may be voted on as usual in
  the 72 hours following its release, and then proposals which pass,
  according to normal voting rules, are implemented.
  
  If the Extra Ballot still does not create an opportunity to change the
  rules [[ for example, if it is impossible to make proposals ]], then
  on the 21st day the Administrator shall change the game state in the
  way e deems best.

}}
}}

[[ Yeth, thath right. There are no references to ndays or nweeks in
thith proposal. ]]
-- 
Rob Thpeer

From: "Tyler Crosby" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: spoon-business: yoyo gremlin
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:36:26 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

The period where the E exists comfort yet, me which thing is I in case 
square and in the lattice which happens the thing, (6,5) or (6,6), after the 
thing em which begs and in the em which it throws it put yoyo gremlin in the 
bean.

-0- to be like this Spake acoustic -0-
* ignore the signature: 1) that will wind in you and
3) your you whom it does not manufacture did not read lastly of this roster 
and in order to manufacture the thing criticisming
4 which they poke fun at) the impression old-fashioned thing which moves
2) by it seems.
It will be extensive, it thanks, the work which is good. Have *

_________________________________________________________________
Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. 
http://www.hotmail.com

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 19:59:56 -0500
To: [email-masked]
From: Eric Gerlach <[email-masked]>
Subject: spoon-business: Re: spoon-discuss: translation --yoyo gremlin
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

At 05:37 PM 2002-02-28 -0500, you wrote:
>Ahem...
>
>While e still exists, I place the yoyo gremlin on the Grid at whichever 
>square I happen to be at, (6,5) or (6,6), pick em up and throw em at bean.

Fine, be that way.  I catch the Yoyo Gremlin and throw it back at you (The 
Voice).  Throw Gremlins at and try to tackle me, will ya...... :)

Bean