If an Office is created and the rules do not specify a
Player who initially holds that Office, or if at any time an
Office becomes vacant, or if any Office is vacant upon
passage of this amendment, then a Player shall be randomly
selected for that Office.
Whenever the rules call for a Player to be randomly selected
for an Office then the following events shall occur, in order:
- The Speaker shall, as soon as possible, send a message to the
Public Forum announcing the vacancy and requesting volunteers
for the Office. Any player may volunteer for the Office by
sending a message to that effect to the Public Forum within 72
- The Speaker shall, as soon as possible but not less than 72
hours after announcing the vacancy, randomly choose a Player
from among all volunteers, or, if there are no volunteers, from
among all Active Players, and send a message to the Public
Forum offering that Player appointment to the Office.
- If the chosen player volunteered for the Office, e shall have
consented to be appointed to that Office. Otherwise, the
chosen Player may, within 72 hours of this message, send a
reply to the Public Forum consenting to or refusing appointment
to the Office. If e fails to send such a reply within 72 hours,
e shall have refused appointment.
- If the chosen player consents to the appointment, e shall
immediately be appointed to the Office in question. If the
chosen player refuses appointment, then e shall lose 3 points,
and the Speaker shall repeat the selection process from step 2.
is pretty much
ineffectual at the moment. We should either fix it or repeal
it. I'm also getting a little annoyed that we keep defining
Offices but never filling them.
I've made several changes since the original proto-proposal:
- Speaker must ask for volunteers first.
- Volunteers are given preference.
- Removed penalty for resigning within 14 days. This was included
for historical compatibility, but not something of which I was
- Changed the recursion to an iteration.
submitted Sat, 18 Jun 94 11:54:08 CDT
distributed Mon Jun 20 PDT
Michael : FOR
Malcolm : FOR
Ronald : FOR
Bill : FOR
Jim : FOR