201: All Players begin with zero points.
a. Choosing the Chairperson:Active Players will alternate in alphabetic order by surname, taking upon themselves the role of Chairperson.
b. Right of Refusal:A Player may refuse to take the role of Chairperson. If a Player refuses the role then they must determine the Player who will be the Chairperson according to the rules.
c. Duties of ChairpersonThe role of chairperson consists of the following tasks which must all be completed in order. No step may be skipped.
- Call for Proposals from Proposing Players. Proposing Players are determined as follows: The Chairperson and the next three Players in alphabetic order by surname from the Chairperson are all Proposing Players. The Chairperson will declare the time limit on submitting Proposals. The time limit will be no less than 1 day.
- Distribute the Proposals to all Players announcing that these are the proposals which have been tabled for discussion. The Chairperson will declare a time limit upon the discussion. This time limit will be no less than five days.
- At the end of the discussion period, the Chairperson will call for a vote. The Chairperson shall declare a time limit upon the vote. This time limit will be no less than one day. The Chairperson will notify all Players of the Quorum (if defined) for each proposal and if the proposal needs unanimity to pass.
- At the end of the voting period the result of the vote shall be determined and distributed to all Players.
- Determine the next Chairperson, notifying all Players of their determination and resign the position in favour of the Player thus determined.
d. Time Period ExtensionsAll time periods may be extended at the Chairperson's discretion if the Chairperson declares the extension to all Players before the end of the time period in question.
e. Consequence of Non-ActionIf at any time a player feels that the Chairperson is being lax in their duties, that player may call for judgement. The subject of this call will be whether the Chairperson must be replaced. For this call of judgement the Chairperson cannot be selected as judge. This rule overrides all other rules concerning the selection of judges. If the judge decides that the Chairperson must be replaced, the player calling for judgement will become the Chairperson Pro Tem and continue with all the duties of the Chairperson until they are completed. Once completed the Chairperson Pro Tem will determine the next Chairperson based not on themselves but upon the Chairperson.
Rule ###: Concerning the Comings and Goings of Players: - Persons wishing to join this game of Nomic must make a request to the Keeper of the Mailing List (currently Shawn Zimmerman). The KotML shall, during the next Proposition Phase, inform the Chairperson of any such requests. The Chairperson shall include such requests with the regular proposals, and they will be voted upon in keeping with the other rules. A unanimous vote shall be required for a new player to join. - A player who wishes to depart this game need only make such a request of the current Chairperson. The departing player is immediately removed from consideration in the game. All of the departing player's points (positive or negative) shall be contributed to a Government Surplus (or Deficit).Vote Result:
Rule change Proposal: Rule 202.Vote Result: Accepteda. Choosing the Chairperson:The rest would read the same.
Active Players will alternate in alphabetic order by surname, taking upon themselves the role of Chairperson. If two or more active players have the same surname the following order would be followed. Order would be in alphabetic order by surname until a matching surname is reached. Then, the order would alternate in alphabetic order by first name. Once that particular matching surname is complete, the order would resume in alphabetic order by surname.
I move the adoption of the following resolution which I feel will avert our looming Crisis without too much hackery of the Rules:Vote Result: Accepted
WHEREAS, Rule 201 section c subsections 2 and 3 give the power of setting the time for the debate and the vote to the Chairperson, which is in direct conflict to rule 111 which gives this power to the Proposer; and
WHEREAS, Rule 110 clearly states that in the case of a mutable rule being in conflict with an immutable rule the mutable rule is entirely null and void; and
WHEREAS, Rule 116 states that this situation would mean that there is no way to Propose, and thus no way to play the Great Game of Nomic; therefore
RESOLVE, That the last sentence of Rule 111 be struck out and replaced with the following text:The proponent decides the final form in which the proposal is to be voted on.
I vote that Mr. Simpson is a big meany!Vote Result: Accepted