Newomic forums

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Newomic forums   » Newomic Proposals   » Proposal: Don't Let's Stop

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Proposal: Don't Let's Stop
SkyCrashesDown
Member # 25

posted November 01, 2002 01:53 PM      Profile for SkyCrashesDown   Author's Homepage   Email SkyCrashesDown   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Title: Don't Let's Stop

If at any time all players agree that the game has come to an otherwise irreparable standstill, such that nobody has won and no meaningful changes to the game state or game rules can be made, the highest-numbered rule currently in effect is immediately repealed. This rule may take effect multiple times in succession if necessary to resolve a deadlock.

--------------------
Rule 101: Everybody love Pupkin.

IP: Logged
vulture
Member # 20

posted November 02, 2002 02:30 AM      Profile for vulture   Email vulture   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just to makes thing more complicated:
"All players can agree to repeal a specific rule. Any rule with a higher rule number than the rule number of the specific rule is also repealed."
And even more:
"This rule takes precedence over all other rules. This rule may only be changed by a 2/3 majority, i.e. there must be to "yes" votes for every "no" vote."

vulture
Member # 20

posted November 02, 2002 02:31 AM      Profile for vulture   Email vulture   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"to" -> "two" again [Eek!]
SkyCrashesDown
Member # 25

posted November 02, 2002 05:31 AM      Profile for SkyCrashesDown   Author's Homepage   Email SkyCrashesDown   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Might make this a bit too powerful -- I don't want to see a dozen rules disappearing wholesale!

How about if we do it your way, but the rules are only temporarily suspended? That lets us get out of deadlocks, and have some interesting temporary conditions as well.

--------------------

vulture
Member # 20

posted November 02, 2002 06:12 AM      Profile for vulture   Email vulture   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Only one rule disappearing might be much more powerful and disastrous. All players have to agree. What do you exactly mean with "temporarily suspended"?

But simpler is better in this case so IŽll drop it and only add (propose to add [Wink] ) this:
"This rule takes precedence over all other rules."

SkyCrashesDown
Member # 25

posted November 02, 2002 06:39 AM      Profile for SkyCrashesDown   Author's Homepage   Email SkyCrashesDown   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Temporarily suspended meaning that for some set period of time, say one week, the text of those rules shall be disregarded and have no effect. Giving us time to fix things.

I'm inclined to make this rule simple rather than weird and complex, because it's really just a safety measure to keep the game from getting stuck. I'd prefer that it never actually get invoked. Unless it's part of some clever maneuver.

--------------------

vulture
Member # 20

posted November 03, 2002 12:24 AM      Profile for vulture   Email vulture   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I second this:

"Title: Don't Let's Stop

If at any time all players agree that the game has come to an otherwise irreparable standstill, such that nobody has won and no meaningful changes to the game state or game rules can be made, the highest-numbered rule currently in effect is immediately repealed. This rule may take effect multiple times in succession if necessary to resolve a deadlock. This rule takes precedence over all other rules."

Take it to voting if you like. And wake up sinblox [Wink]

SkyCrashesDown
Member # 25

posted November 04, 2002 03:00 PM      Profile for SkyCrashesDown   Author's Homepage   Email SkyCrashesDown   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Would you second this? I like suspension better than repealment.

Title: Don't Let's Stop

If at any time all players agree that the game has come to an otherwise irreparable standstill, such that nobody has won and no meaningful changes to the game state or game rules can be made, the highest-numbered rule currently in effect shall have its effects suspended for a period of one week. This rule may take effect multiple times in succession if necessary to resolve a deadlock. Suspended rules are still subject to all actions and effects which apply to rules in general, with the exception that their full text is not followed. If a suspended rule is repealed, it does not get automatically reinstated at the end of its suspension period.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Nomic Homepage