my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Newomic forums   » Newomic Proposals   » Voting Time Limit

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Voting Time Limit
tuttidog
unregistered

posted August 01, 2002 10:49 PM           Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Once a proposal has been made, the period of time in which to vote on that proposal will be 4 days. If the proposal is altered, the number of days remaining returns to 4.

The time limit will be nil if all members finish voting on the proposal, thus, passing or rejecting the proposal.

PS - Until this matter is figured out, the administrator should decide wether or not voting has finished. This is a suggestion for a default rule, admin.

[ August 01, 2002, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: TuttiDog ]

IP: Logged
sinblox
Administrator
Member # 5

posted August 02, 2002 12:29 AM      Profile for sinblox     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think a better rule could be made to lock proposals if there is no activity for 5 days.

A whole different rule althogether would be something about debate time for the prop that's made by disgression of the proposer.

Hmm..

My vote for this prop is Nay.

aleph
unregistered

posted August 02, 2002 11:16 AM           Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i think this time limit is good to start with, and may become neccessary with increased rules and proposals to read through for strategic purposes. i vote for this one.
Tieka
unregistered

posted August 02, 2002 11:56 AM           Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is certainly the most important matter to start with, however I agree that the rule needs to be more specific with regards to its application. If all rules and proposals are going to be dealt with on this forum, we need to address the use of the forum features. I am not certain how the administrator plans on pulling out the rules for the active/inactive list, but that is his decision. This is how I envision this sytem working.

A proposal is posted in a _Discussion_ thread and after a period of time determined by the proposer, it is altered as needed and then posted in the _Voting_ thread. Players vote as replies in that thread and after a specified time period the topic is closed. Note however that discussion on the proposal could still continue.

sinblox
Administrator
Member # 5

posted August 02, 2002 01:18 PM      Profile for sinblox     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tieka,

This is how I envisioned doing at first, actually, but it never made it's way into the initial rules.

The active/inactive rules are run on a PHP program, don't worry about that.

sinblox

sinblox
Administrator
Member # 5

posted August 04, 2002 04:32 PM      Profile for sinblox     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello,

Is this prop withdrawn? The latest one addresses this and more and it will probably be passed.

tuttidog
unregistered

posted August 04, 2002 06:27 PM           Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why isn't this prop still useful? We'll still have people who won't vote for some reason then we'd have to wait 10 days for their account to be deleted.
sinblox
Administrator
Member # 5

posted August 04, 2002 07:21 PM      Profile for sinblox     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
no, no no .. I mean the prop for discussion/proposals.. maybe rewrite this one for a 5 day limit on that after that is finished.. I don't know, it's up to you.
SkyCrashesDown
Member # 25

posted October 12, 2002 01:46 PM      Profile for SkyCrashesDown   Author's Homepage   Email SkyCrashesDown   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You shouldn't have to wait until all the members have voted, just 50.1% of them.

And I agree with Tieka's clarification.

Also, I think it should be 7 days, or 5 business days. And you should specify whether it's 7 (or 5) * 24 hours or until midnight 7 (or 5) days later in some time zone or what.

--------------------
Rule 101: Everybody love Pupkin.

physics_geek
Member # 27

posted October 13, 2002 04:51 AM      Profile for physics_geek     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I created a new thread with a similar proposition. 10 days sounds like a more reasonable time due to the current defination of active player.
SkyCrashesDown
Member # 25

posted October 13, 2002 07:27 PM      Profile for SkyCrashesDown   Author's Homepage   Email SkyCrashesDown   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ah, makes sense. I hadn't thought about that time period being the same, but yeah it seems good that way.

--------------------

vulture
Member # 20

posted October 21, 2002 01:40 PM      Profile for vulture   Email vulture   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow, a proposer can make insignificant changes to keep a proposal up for vote indefinetly. At least if I understand "If the proposal is altered, the number of days remaining returns to 4." correctly. This makes no sense.
SkyCrashesDown
Member # 25

posted November 01, 2002 08:02 AM      Profile for SkyCrashesDown   Author's Homepage   Email SkyCrashesDown   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It makes plenty of sense, what's the problem? It's functionally equivalent to withdrawing your proposal and making a new one.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Nomic Homepage