[Nomic02] [P] Oops

Dylan O'Donnell nomic02@wurb.com
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 00:31:15 +0000

Adam Biltcliffe wrote:
> >>Oops [baf]
> >>The player who proposes a change to be made by unanimous or
> >>sectional agreement may make corrections to its spelling,
> >>grammar, or punctuation at any time prior to its going into
> >>effect.  If this is done, and there is sectional agreement among
> >>the other players that the meaning of the rule was changed, then
> >>the proposal will be revoked and the player who proposed it will
> >>receive one demerit.
>
> This looks like a good idea in principle, but what about mistakes which
> change the meaning of the rule to something other than intended?

These couldn't be reversed (at least, without incurring a demerit).
However, I don't think this achieves all that much; most mistakes
aren't spotted until after effectiveness, it seems. Is it worth
appointing an Editor with power to make non-substantive alterations to
rules and other descriptions of the game state? (For cases where this
can't be done, such as name mismatches, we now have the Table of
Synonyms.)

--
:  Dylan O'Donnell                     http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/  :
:            "Senseless property destruction has failed me, and so           :